Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• StupidManSuit
    replied
    Hey man, I'm also a disabled veteran. I have problems with the way my brain connects to my nerves (sends strange signals, like spasming, locking up joints/muscles, and constant pain...sometimes weakness) and I have dislocated ribs...you can imagine I have a fun time.

While I was in the service and watching my body change (as the disability developed, but before the diagnosed it), I was unable to do cardio anymore. What I did was kept my same lifting diet and still hit the gym to lift...just didn't do it for legs. I was still able to lose 1lb of and 1% body fat every two weeks. I'm a woman, so it will probably be more substantial to you as a man...you guys tend to burn up more fat than we do.

Your diet still needs to support what you are able to do, but do it with whole, natural, unprocessed food...you know, the "good stuff" that your great great-grandparents would have recognized as food. No artificial bullshit, including that sugar-free shit. Just give your body what it knows how to process...that's what it's good at.

On top of this, yoga is great for strengthening the tendons and ligaments (helped me completely fix a knee injury I got while skiing in my teen years), and is also cardiovascular. My recommendation is to either go to a yoga class or get a yoga DVD so you know what's expected of you. The postures (poses) in yoga are done very specifically...it's really different from doing cardio or weights because the whole body must be focused on, from the joints to the muscles to the breathing...even your gaze matters. Once you get the hang of it, feel free to get a yoga book and do this from home if you'd rather. I like How To Do Astanga Yoga And Meditation by Jean and Doriel Hall. You can find it on amazon.com for as cheap as $13. The nice thing about this book is they have full descriptions of the poses, how to ease into the pose, how to make the pose more difficult, large pictures to see what you're doing, and also warnings on certain poses (example: some poses are bad to do if you, say, have a low back injury, so they tell you to skip over them).

A walking DVD, like Walk Away The Pounds, will also help. This is a low-impact exercise but the structure of the DVD allows you to push yourself instead of just marching in place.

Leave a comment:

• BigSwole33
    replied
    Bro, Get a bicycle. Mountain bike is great. You can get a dual suspension Mongoose from wal mart for a good price. I do that and I ruptured my knee. The navy wouldnt do surgery on me. So, I had to heal on my own. Biking is great. Get a helmet, and a lock. You can ride to a gym, or to the store. Its more fun than walking cause you can go farther. Good luck.

Leave a comment:

• unc4523
    replied
    I would suggest as soon as you wake up doing some low intensity cardio for at least 20-30 min because your body has nothing but fat to burn after fasting all night. Second if while your working out you cut out almost all rest time by adding in some filler exersies (pushups, situps, anything that helps keep your heart rate up) in between sets you will burn much more calories while building lean mass.

Leave a comment:

• huffer
    replied
    swimming is by far the 2nd best complete body cardio program..the first being Cross Country skiing...It is however the ultimate for joint/bone injuries..no impact and absolute strength/endurance building = fat burning...and you get to hang out in a pool, beats freezing your B*lls off

Leave a comment:

• jorgegarate
    replied
    Originally posted by chinoboricua View Post
    Cool!!! I have the bowflex at home and Im working out almost every day! Is the bowflex a good source for what I want? Other thing I am using Xenadrine with a very ecstricted diet. Oatmeal in the mornings, salads for luch and dinner (w/chicken of course). Should I change something else? this is my 2nd week onthe pils and diet and I havent senn any changes on my weight or body!!
    I woudnt trust some of does pills they can fuck you up in the long run, but dude the solution is cardi. walkin with sweats. a little bicycle running every once in a while and swimming is the best you can do for yur kneees.

Leave a comment:

• jorgegarate
    replied
    Supersets are reallyyyy great for loosing fat and gainning a lot of muscle. last year in 2 months I lost like 15 pounds of fat and gained 11 of muscle. Supersets and Trisets are great. really love it and you will sweat a shitloaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad. and if your doing cardio you have to eat carbs or you could get fucked. just eat right carbs, wheat bread, small quantities of rice. White meat is really good when you want to lose weight too. there are lots of ways, but carbs are important wen exersising.

Leave a comment:

• chinoboricua
    replied
    Originally posted by TaPo31 View Post
    Weights will definitely help burn fat as well, especially if done with little rest in between. Both should be done for optimal fat loss.
    Cool!!! I have the bowflex at home and Im working out almost every day! Is the bowflex a good source for what I want? Other thing I am using Xenadrine with a very ecstricted diet. Oatmeal in the mornings, salads for luch and dinner (w/chicken of course). Should I change something else? this is my 2nd week onthe pils and diet and I havent senn any changes on my weight or body!!

Leave a comment:

• TaPo31
    replied
    Originally posted by chinoboricua View Post
    oK!!! thank you gys a lot!! Im considering buying a treadmil, so like that I dont have to be going to the gym back and foward! how about weights? would that help to burn fat too? aka loose weight?
    Weights will definitely help burn fat as well, especially if done with little rest in between. Both should be done for optimal fat loss.

Leave a comment:

• chinoboricua
    replied
    oK!!! thank you gys a lot!! Im considering buying a treadmil, so like that I dont have to be going to the gym back and foward! how about weights? would that help to burn fat too? aka loose weight?

Leave a comment:

• Carnage1371
    replied
    Originally posted by bartjsn1 View Post
    I totally agree with the whole swimming idea! Try treading water for a little bit, swim some laps and they try treading water again. Just repeat until you get tired. Swimming is always a good cardio workout for those with bad joints!
    That too, I always for get that one cause it is seasonal.

Leave a comment:

• bartjsn1
    replied
    I totally agree with the whole swimming idea! Try treading water for a little bit, swim some laps and they try treading water again. Just repeat until you get tired. Swimming is always a good cardio workout for those with bad joints!

Leave a comment:

• RandomHero
    replied
    Went through a somewhat similar thing, blew out my knee and had to get reconstructive surgery. After proper physical therapy I started out on an eliptical workin my way up to bein able to do it for half an hour without pain then walking/jogging on a treadmill until I could do that without pain after about 0 months I was running fullspeed again, you just gotta work your way into it, in the mean time just hit the weights with some more intensity watch your diet and lay off the fat burners, do it right dont take short cuts until its a necessity You'll be just fine man

Leave a comment:

• Carnage1371
    replied
    I kinda went through something this when I rolled my ankle 2 years ago. Walking will do great, just be careful not to put too much stress on your knee. If it statrs to hurt take it easy. Maybe even work your way up to a jog.

Leave a comment:

• clarkthashark
    replied
    Hey Chino. Hey brother the biggest thing you need to do is watch your diet. Rule of thumb is [eat more that you burn=gain weight, burn more than you eat=lose weight.] if you can get ahold of a personal trainer or somebody that can calculate your Resting Metabolic Rate that would help out drastically. But if your knees are bad as well then you need to rely on cardio machines that are easy on the joints. My knees are also shittay so I like the cardio bikes alot and the elliptical machines. They are great machines with minimal impact on the joints. Also if your body reacts negatively with the carb intake you more than likely should eat less carbs and a little more protein to make up for it. Also watch the dietary fat intake for reasons that those grams pack a serious punch. Anyway just a little help for ya. Good luck. Anymore questions just ask.

Leave a comment:

• CdnKev
    replied
    Blew my knees in the Army as well. I'm able to walk on a treadmill on an incline, or ride the stationary bike. Cardio is a challange with shot knees, but not impossible. Listen to your body, and don't overdo it. The biggest factor for leaning down is diet. Nail that, take care of your body, and the fat will come off. Good luck.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X