who all here is active duty? I have some ?'s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• who all here is active duty? I have some ?'s

Right now I'm currently in the Air National Guard. I want to convert to active Airforce, but I'm curious as if you all think my reasons are legitimate enough to do so.

I want to do it because i've lived in a small'ish type of town all of my life. I haven't really seen a whole lot outside of that. I mean I've been to a few different places, but nothing that is a true "culture change" ya kno.

Im basically doing it to have a career and to travel around, but what i'm asking is it all what it's cracked up to be? Me being a reserve right now in comparison to being active duty, do I still get the same credit, retirement ect....as if I were to be full time? And those of you who did travel and do it all, or some of it all, was it all worth it?

When I do or if I do convert to active Air Force, i'll lose my 20k sign on bonus I have with the Guard. I haven't went to basic or tech yet and I'm approved to go active but i'll lose my bonus in the process if I do so.

Right now they are telling me that I'll most likely have to go with something maintenance/mechanical, but I personally would like to get into the medical field. I haven't seen what my asvab score will allow me to do in active duty, but i'm pretty sure in the Guard I was eligible to do so in the medical field.

Plus I want to get some schooling underneath of my belt. From what the active AF recruiter said, its not too hard to do schooling while being on Active duty Airforce. That true to you all?

I'm sure I have other questions, but i'm brain farting right now and I think that is it...what do you all think I should do? And what is your experience with it all?

btw, another reason is i'm 24 years old, about to be 25 in September...I guess i'm trying to get in what I can before age 30 since I screwed my legitimate chances when I popped out of highschool...so that's another part of my reasoning for wanting to "get out"

I transferred from the Army National Guard to Active Army 10 years ago next month. It was the best choice I had ever made. You get 100% tuition paid for and I know people who have completed associates, bachelors and master level degrees while on active duty paying only for their books, if that.

The benefits are great.....free medical dental and eye

You get to travel, you get more immersion in your job and you get to experience more cultures.

It IS a carreer....you can see retirement by the time you are 45 or so...you have investment opportunites as well with the TSP.

It has been a great 10 years....i went from e4 in aug99 to e7 in oct 08, and that was without any waivers for promotion and an 18month promotion freeze when i reclassified from combat engineer to nursing.

hope this offers some insight.....

Comment

I was a Army Reservist for 10 years and had to pay back $13,500 when I switched to active duty. I was a Respiratory therapist but they would not take me on active duty as one so I had to switch over to INTEL. I would definately go medical if you can. It is a skill you can take from the small town to the big city and every where in between. If I want to do Intelligence work when I get out there are less choices of where I can live.

Bad parts? The 15 months I spent in Iraq and the 25 months total I was away from my wife and childern due to retraing and then BOOM getting deployed right after.

Good part? We live in Germany and spent Memorial day in Spain and the 4th of July in Rome...plus we go to Hawaii for our next post.

P.S. I went through Basic at 32 and came on to Active duty at 42, thank God I work out or else I would be toast with all these young guys! Good Luck.

Comment

Originally posted by SapperNurse View Post
        I transferred from the Army National Guard to Active Army 10 years ago next month. It was the best choice I had ever made. You get 100% tuition paid for and I know people who have completed associates, bachelors and master level degrees while on active duty paying only for their books, if that.

The benefits are great.....free medical dental and eye

You get to travel, you get more immersion in your job and you get to experience more cultures.

It IS a carreer....you can see retirement by the time you are 45 or so...you have investment opportunites as well with the TSP.

It has been a great 10 years....i went from e4 in aug99 to e7 in oct 08, and that was without any waivers for promotion and an 18month promotion freeze when i reclassified from combat engineer to nursing.

hope this offers some insight.....
        cool, how do you like nursing btw?

Comment

I love it....I was a CNA and an EMT/Firefighter growing up and I always wanted to take it another step. Like you said...it is a skill I can take anywhere when i get out.

Since I am looking at early retirement due to medical, I think I am gonna be my wife's dependant a few years and do strict contract work without bothering with benefits until she retires....

Comment

nice, i'll have to look into that

Comment

stick to the air force. i'm an active duty marine and i hate it. stick to the east/good stuff!

Comment

Working...
              X