Announcement

Collapse

Registeration by Email Only

Due to frequent disruptions by a rogue user on the forum, automatic email regisration will be suspended. Users will still be able to auto-register, but will not be able to post or comment until verified by a forum admin.

If there are any questions or concerns, please email [email protected]

Thanks very much for your cooperation

sincerely,
Jen the Admin
See more
See less

Get or or Stay in?!?!?!?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You're so close to getting that pension man...you'll look back at this and you'll thank yourself so much for it! Keep at the grind!

Comment

Originally posted by strawberryriddick View Post
      I can tell you about my experience to give you something else to think about.

I was born for the military. I have the mindset. I'm the "no bullshit" person, and I believe in keeping work and play separate...that is to say, if I chew your ass at work, I expect you to leave it at work and be cool with going out for a drink after work like nothing happened. No room to get butthurt, basically. I was raised to do things right the first time, to get it done quickly and correctly, and to be innovative whenever possible. The Marine Corps was the place that allowed me to do that.

With people talking about retards dictating your life, there are two issues about that.
      1. You're going to have a boss anyway. I mean, what, you become a civilian again and never have to answer to anyone else? And at least with the military you're guaranteed that the person at least has a high school diploma or GED + college credits. Saying that a person in the military "can't hack it in the real world" or some other stupid shit is suggesting that everyone who didn't enlist in the military is some kind of super star stellar performer that practices law and does brain surgery. Idiots are everywhere.
      2. You need to out-think the retards and make them work for you.

I enlisted in the USMC because I wanted to, not because I "had" to. There was no family history of service and my parents didn't want me to enlist. I started college at 16 and play 12 instruments...I didn't "need" the military. For that reason, a lot of people thought it was hard on me because I didn't go the officer route (I wanted to see what the enlisted had to deal with before I became an officer) and apparently people like me are supposed to have a hard time dealing with stupidity. So they think. The issue is, unless I had to deal with the absolute moron of morons who used his/her rank as a substitute for being a legit leader, I never had any problem getting anything done. My work ethic, intelligence, and "do it right, right now" attitude caught the attention of everyone I worked for. I had officers I didn't even know offering to write my recommendation for the MESEP program and was "smoking and joking" with Master Sergeants and Gunnies. I enlisted a little "older" (when I was 21) and also knew the rules and regs in and out, so I used that confidence in myself and my knowledge to back up my actions and statements. For this reason, I had no problem getting respect even though I was a piddly little E-3. I even chewed out people who outranked me if they were fucking around. The only people who tried to mess with me were, again, those in the service that really suck and just use their rank as an intimidation factor to hide the fact they suck (the "retards" if you will), and because everyone knew I had my ducks in a row, I was never in any trouble.

I say I was a piddly little E-3 because that's how I ended up getting out. The Marine Corps was supposed to be my career, and I'll be quite honest: I still have trouble dealing with being out. I wanted to go the warrant officer route, but the universe had other plans so instead I ended up with two different disabilities. Fucking sucks. Every day of my life is a goddamned struggle, and it's that same "can do" attitude that makes every day a fucking nightmare. I still think I "can do" and I usually can't do. It's also that same "can do" attitude that kept me from eating a bullet sandwich after I found out my body and thus career were fucked to hell.

As a civilian, I hate it. I hate every day that I'm not in. I hate dealing with people in the "civilian" way because I can't deal with them the "Marine Corps" way. I can't yell at people who act retarded. I can't correct someone. I have to let them be, otherwise I'm the asshole. I hate it. I'm finishing up a degree in a completely different field because I can't do what I was studying prior to the military because of my conditions, and I hate being back in school. The Post 9/11 Bill is all nice and happy and shit, but God knows I'd rather be in. I hate working in groups, I hate dealing with incompetent people. At least in the Marines, people were held accountable if they sucked. Here? Nothing. I lived in a sublet in a college town and those fuckers were up all night every night partying to high heaven while I couldn't sleep because of the noise and had work in a few hours. The barracks duty would have shut their shit down, but instead I had to be kept up while they screamed and threw trash cans in their drunken stupor. The sublet I lived in had three other people living there. No one cleaned up because "That's Chad's mess" or "Those are Nikki's dishes." No one thought, "I pay for this place, I want to have it look good so I don't care who did what, I'm cleaning." No one but me, that is. The entire laundry room was literally covered and stacked with cans and bottles because "Chad is going to take them to recycling sometime, so whenever he cleans them up, they'll be cleaned up." It was like an "IOU" for cleaning and that was supposed to be good enough. Fuck that. The day I moved in, I separated and bagged all the cans and bottles. Seriously, WTF. We all pay to live here, why live in a mess? No one cleaned any of the common areas. The bathtub I thought was stained from age was really just dirty. Fucking civilians.

No one moves quickly with a sense of purpose. No one cares about doing it right or doing it at all. And yes, the economy fucking sucks. I waited a year before going to school because I wanted to just use the Post 9/11 Bill, which started in August of 2009. I worked three jobs. I hated it, but there was nothing to do. I had the education, experience, and military experience, but no one was hiring. No one. I chewed through my severance pay rather quickly and was fired from one job because of my disability, and had to live off unemployment. And then I had to apply for food stamps. At one point, I was living on someone's couch.

Now, you can see I've got a lot of bitching about it. I hate it, I really fucking hate it. This doesn't seem to apply to anyone else who posted, and that's fine. If they're happier out, more power to them. I just wanted to give you the perspective of someone who actually enjoyed being in the military, despite the retards and dumb rules (the Marine Corps takes the cake on dumb rules), and how it feels to be out.
      The Corp is definitly the King of comradery and the King of rediculous rules, which probably add to you guys being so close from the Officer side to the Enlisted Side. I have come to the realization that I am just another body. To be honest with you, I just want to go to the gym and go home. I don't care about what type of job I do. I do not want to get married or have kids. I am working 12 hours a day 6 days a week and have almost no time to train here because we are so undermanned. I am even told that the only way to get more qualifications is to come in on my off time. I am already going to college online through AMU and there is no way in hell I am going to come in on my only off day. I will base my decission on my next command but it is going to take alot for me to trust the military again. They have the attitude where they want less people to do more work and are running my entire command into the ground.

Comment

Originally posted by vargasty View Post
        I will base my decission on my next command but it is going to take alot for me to trust the military again.
        Don't you have an option where you can request a different command as kind of a re-enlistment "bonus?" I've seen people switch commands, switch duty stations, and even switch MOS as a "bonus" for them to re-enlist because the USMC is really big on re-enlistment.
        Why are you wearing that stupid bunny suit?

Comment

Originally posted by strawberryriddick View Post
          Don't you have an option where you can request a different command as kind of a re-enlistment "bonus?" I've seen people switch commands, switch duty stations, and even switch MOS as a "bonus" for them to re-enlist because the USMC is really big on re-enlistment.
          Yes it's called guard 2000. You can use it on your first re-enlistment and one more time after that in your career. I originally signed up for 5 years and have another 3 to go.

Comment

Originally posted by vargasty View Post
            Yes it's called guard 2000. You can use it on your first re-enlistment and one more time after that in your career. I originally signed up for 5 years and have another 3 to go.
            Yeah, man, cross that bridge when you get to it. No use worrying now...many things can change in 3 years.

Comment

take your base pay, add your bah (or what your bah woudl be if you received it) add your bas. take all that and multiply by 12, then divide by 26.

This is about what you would need to make in the civilain sector every 2 weeks to make what you are getting now.

Then look at the most important perks of military service: health care, dental, eye, retirement, tsp and 30 days a year of vacation from day 1.

Just something else to think about....I am looking at retirement myself, and going thru the same process... remember, no matter how many years of active duty service you signed up for, you still owe 8 years either active, guard, reserve or IRR. IRR isnt as bad as it used to be but I have seen people get snagged when they least expected it...

Comment

Sapper has a good point. And you gotta remember that you retire after 20 years in. I don't know when you enlisted, but if you're like most people and enlist when you're 18, that means you're retired at just 38 years old. And then you can do whatever you want after that, including far as finding something different for work.

Comment

i would say take your time on this decision. it depends a lot on where your stationed and what opportunities present when re enlistment time comes. i did my 6 years and got out 23 years ago and can honestly say best decision i ever made. hated to get out after just making e-6 but honestly the re enlistment bonuses not very much and was not offered any shore time! back then my sea / shore rotation was 10 years sea, 1 year shore! so that made my decision easy.

Comment

Man, do what you truly WANT to do. I just reenlisted for another 4 years in the AF and I plan to get out in 2014.... if the economy is better??????? Being mil to mil my wife and I can onlt put up with being away from one another and our little girl so much. Then I don't give a fuck what I have to do as long as i get to stay with them... I'll do that.
                    GWOT COMBAT VETERAN
                    OEFx1

Comment

follow your heart dude evaluate your position and decide youre el capitan of that ship that is YOUR LIFE

Comment

Working...
                      X