• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A simple Plyometrics workout

"The only lack or limitation is in your own mind."

MD!!!

www.LivingDeadMafia.com

Click for Audio

the guy who teaches this shit at my gym can jump on to about a 10 or 15 high stepmaster stack without running.
    THE FAMILY THAT I LIVE FOR ONLY BREATHES THE AIR THAT SMELLS OF COMBAT

Comment

Adman, keep the plyo stuff coming. I'ma huge proponent of them. We need to get more traffic on this sport specific forum.
      TEAM P/RR/S ELITE
      www.fitcorps.net

Comment

I need to watch this on a computer that doesn't play video at 2 frames per second.

Comment

AWESOME WORKOUT... I JUST STARTED TO ADD ALOT OF PLYOMETICS INTO MY TRAINNING...ITS HARD TO FIND ALOT OF INFO ON ALL THE EXERCISES.... KEEP THEM COMING!
          www.myspace.com\ctucci
          www.speciesnutrition.com

Comment

Most ply's that we did in college were touches as fast as you could make them happen. This kind of looks like a bare jump squat. I have always been a fan of box jumps. They can be done in so many different ways that making a 10" to 20" box for yourself can open the door to tons of different workouts and variations. Here is an example of a workout for a speed athlete I had found in my old Track days files. This workout does not involve boxes but this is a good start for anyone wanting to work their way into the boxes. This is how I came to love Plyo's and took my vertical to 40" back in the day! I wish I had learned how to do them while still in High school! I came to understand plyos as being as explosive a movement as you can manage, that is why we did them only once a week (we would do them twice if the coaches were not watching cause we would be ultra competitive about how far we went)

Plyometrics:

High Intensity (50 – 75 contacts)
            • <LI class=MsoNormal style="mso-list: l1 level1 lfo1">Double leg hops for distance: 5 x 5 consecutive hops. Be careful not to pause and gather yourself between hops. They are meant to be performed with short contacts with the ground. A good performance benchmark can be found by measuring a single standing long jump and multiply that distance by 5.5. (i.e. an 8ft standing long jumper should be able to jump 44ft in this exercise.
            • Alternating single leg hops: 10 consecutive jumps. This is a more difficult exercise to perform well without in person coaching. I would simply make this a game where you compete against yourself to see how far you can go. As a benchmark, I have seen good high school triple jumpers challenging 30 yards fairly quickly.

Low Intensity (200-300 Contacts)
            • <LI class=MsoNormal style="mso-list: l1 level1 lfo1">Single leg stadium hops: 10 x 20 steps
            • Hurdle Hops: 10 x 10 hurdles

Rest intervals between sets should be 6-8 minutes for high intensity plyos and 3-5 minutes for low intensity. I would do this once a week, preferably on a speed-training day. I would avoid doing this on heavy squat days. If they hurt STOP, most coaches do not recomend any one legged plyos unitl the athelet can squat at least 2.5 times their body weight

anyways hope this gives someone some ideas

Riff
            Riff

Doing it one pound at a time!!!!

Comment

Why aren't these appropriate for kids? My son is almost 12 (next month), he loves to workout and is very active. These look like something he would have a blast doing and they aren't something he could get hurt with, unlike his skateboard and bike.

Comment

Many believe that these kinds of explosive movements can stunt growth, growth plates are not set stuff like that. The same is said about gymnast! I do not think the double leg drills are bad at all I would stay clear of the single leg plyos until he is stronger. The connective tissue to the muscle is the issue for the single leg explosive stuff and you want to build a base anyways,

Just my thoughts

Riff
                Riff

Comment

Thank for the answer Riff. Is that your dog by the way? Jamie's going to do the double legged plyos but on the trampoline, that should absorb the impact better. He thinks who ever is doing those single legged ones is crazy!

Comment

My "lainy" was an American Bulldog and looked like the one in the pic only more athletic, smaller waist. She was hit by a car when a drunk friend let her loose. The single leg plyos should really only be considered once you are squatting at least 2 times you body weight. The are hard as hell and even harder to do correctly but when you can do them and start to, I was amazed at how explosive you can get. Really an awsome feeling, hard to explain but I miss those days! Good luck, I think it is awsome your son is interested at all in plyos...at his age this could lead to one explosive young man!

Riff
                    Riff

Comment

awesome vid i love plyos!

Comment

plyos are awesome but not after plate jumps, it hurts but great excersise
                        Starting a new chapter...

Comment

LOVE plyo's. I think they are the best! gave more shape to my legs too...shape! not size.
                          Most of all thought it gave me more inches on my vertical and that helped alot when playing basketball, I was the only guy who could dunk it in the div I was playing and I'm only 5'11"...So for that I love plyo's.
                          Life is for leading, not people pleasing it is a race that's never been won

Comment

plyos are great for recruiting more muscle fibers. im careful to do them at the end of a leg workout though.... have had some bleeding shins after hiit sessions with plyo boxes.
                            danielsfitnesstraining.com Scivation sponsored

Comment

Working...
                            X