Problem with all pulling movements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problem with all pulling movements

I play football and my coach has a training program that he set up for us as a team.

The only problem i have with it is the back exercises, my forearms cannot hold the weight that i need to get my back stronger but if i use straps on the rowing movements and deadlifts then my foreamrs would not get the work i need them to get.

So my question is should I use straps to keep my back getting stronger or keep it raw and let my forearm strength increase while getting a shitty back workout?

Again this is for football and I would like to know which is the lesser of both evils for football, a weak back or weak forearms.

I play football also, and i would say that if you need the forearm workout consider doing less weight but more reps until you get your grip strength up, a better back would overall be better as far as football. Do some grip training on your own and that might help you
    Starting a new chapter...

Comment

Post the exact training program in detail.

Comment

Originally posted by ForemanRules View Post
        Post the exact training program in detail.
        Deadlift 3-6 to 8
        bent Over Barbell Row 3-10 <--------- On the last set here is when my
        Dumbell Row 3-8 grip starts to give out
        Seated Cable Row 3-12
        Pull Up 3 sets to failure.

Comment

how do you have your grip? both hands foward or one foward one backward? it also has alot to do with the size of your hands as well

Comment

Originally posted by Newtron54 View Post
            how do you have your grip? both hands foward or one foward one backward? it also has alot to do with the size of your hands as well
            For deadlift i have both forward same with the bent over row but then again my hands are pretty small which is not to good for a back/reciever like me. but its whatever i found a new way to do back,

after every completed back exercise i go right to a leg exercise like squat or leg press. so that i can do both bodyparts on the same day. it also helped my grip out alot too. is this common for kids on your team Newtron?
            EX
            Deadlift 3-10
            Leg Press 3-12
            One arm dumbbell row 3-8
            Squat 3-10 etc.

Comment

it sounds stupid but use chalk every lift. I would also workout my forearms the day of my back with a hand gripper and wrist curls. I have some big forearms probably because i never use straps

Comment

Originally posted by PSUfan31 View Post
                For deadlift i have both forward same with the bent over row but then again my hands are pretty small which is not to good for a back/reciever like me. but its whatever i found a new way to do back,

after every completed back exercise i go right to a leg exercise like squat or leg press. so that i can do both bodyparts on the same day. it also helped my grip out alot too. is this common for kids on your team Newtron?
                EX
                Deadlift 3-10
                Leg Press 3-12
                One arm dumbbell row 3-8
                Squat 3-10 etc.

We do our deadlifts on our clean day with up right rows and shrugs, try puttin one hand foward and one backward it worked out great for me i cant deadlift 530 with both of mine foward, its impossible

Comment

mts ur pretty huge brotha

Comment

"The only problem i have with it is the back exercises, my forearms cannot hold the weight that i need to get my back stronger but if i use straps on the rowing movements and deadlifts then my foreamrs would not get the work i need them to get."

Here's is what I would do. When you start off on your back workout do as many sets as you can take without straps. Add the straps when it becomes clear that your grip is giving out before your back muscles. Do what you gotta do, finish up with straps when necessary to ensure that your back gets a good workout. In the meantime do 2 or 3 sets of wrist rollers or wrist curls at the end of every back workout to strengthen your forearms. Also get some of those grip springs that you can get at Wal Mart or Target keep one in your car and one near your bathroom sink. Do 30-50 squeezes with each arm before you brush your teeth in the morning and before to go to bed at night. Keep one in your car and do reps when you are stuck at a stop light. This might sound stupid but I worked for me, I did this when I was a teenager and I really don't need to use straps to this day.

Comment

Originally posted by Will View Post
                      "The only problem i have with it is the back exercises, my forearms cannot hold the weight that i need to get my back stronger but if i use straps on the rowing movements and deadlifts then my foreamrs would not get the work i need them to get."

Here's is what I would do. When you start off on your back workout do as many sets as you can take without straps. Add the straps when it becomes clear that your grip is giving out before your back muscles. Do what you gotta do, finish up with straps when necessary to ensure that your back gets a good workout. In the meantime do 2 or 3 sets of wrist rollers or wrist curls at the end of every back workout to strengthen your forearms. Also get some of those grip springs that you can get at Wal Mart or Target keep one in your car and one near your bathroom sink. Do 30-50 squeezes with each arm before you brush your teeth in the morning and before to go to bed at night. Keep one in your car and do reps when you are stuck at a stop light. This might sound stupid but I worked for me, I did this when I was a teenager and I really don't need to use straps to this day.
                      great post, good info

Comment

Physical preparation for sport such as football, back work is important but you just answered your own question with your first post. Your coach should have put you through an assessment to begin the program with and you would've identified that your grip work needs work. It isn't really a terrible thing, it's just you're finding out your weakness is good so you know what to concentrate on. Try your absolute best to do rep work without lifting straps. It will help your grip work a lot and as others have mentioned I won't do any pulling motion without chalk or any athletes I train will have chalk handy. Things happen, it can be hot in the gym you're in, and sweat can prevent such a grip. I totally understand what you are saying wher eyou feel your back can handle such work but you aren not able to keep the bar or barbell from sliding out of your hands. If you have ever read any articles from Buddy Morris who is the head strength coach at the University of Pittsburgh or Louie Simmons at Westside Barbell they share similar stances in this regard.

If a kid tells me what he doesn't want to do or what he doesn't like to do. You better believe that is exactly what we're doing that day in my gym. (now of course you might have recovery issues which happen and if a kid is complaining of shoulder issues from a max effort bench routine then we're not going to have him shrug if he's still recovering)

One thing at a time. You're a football player, and training for a goal such as that. Attack your weakness and that will indirectly improve your overall strength , health and athletic performance.

Comment

Working...
                        X