Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any wrestlers here?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Any wrestlers here?

    Post your splits and whatnot...
    "Its better to start off slowly than to finish quickly." - Arnold

  • #2
    What do u mean?

    Comment


    • #3
      I havent wrestled since college.

      But what the hell are you talking about dude?

      Comment


      • #4
        As in folk/greco-roman style? or WWE?

        Comment


        • #5
          i do freestyle and greco roman wrestling .i just do the regular 2 body part split per day plus wrestling training 3 times a week .the wrestling conditioning we do lots of bridging ,push ups ,situps,dips. but at the gym i just train bodybuilder style but with high and low rep days.
          i only want to be known as the best ever is that too much to ask? -bj penn

          Comment


          • #6
            Learn the energy system requirements that is expected of a wrestler. Test the aerobic/anerobic threshold and design your workouts around exactly that. Most wrestling training revolves around a very firm foundation of GPP (general physical prepardeness). Increasing releative strength as mentioned above with pull ups, sit ups, dips, etc, since you are performing your sport using leverage and manuevers against another body as well as your own. Just my opinion would be to actually avoid training like a bodybuilder since that's not what you're doing if you are wrestling. Form without function is useless.

            Comment


            • #7
              I'm a HS wrestling coach, S/C coach. form w/o function is not applicable. Training styles change depending on the time of year and the individual needs of the athlete. There is no cookie-cutter format. wrestling is strength sport, requiring explosive repeatable movement against an unpredictable force.
              we teach the bbing lifestyle to manage weight and sef-disipline. I have not had anyone miss weight in 4 yrs, and we do not run in plastic suits or spit til you drop to get there...
              What have you done today to insure your success tomorrow?!

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by P.A.S.M. View Post
                Learn the energy system requirements that is expected of a wrestler. Test the aerobic/anerobic threshold and design your workouts around exactly that. Most wrestling training revolves around a very firm foundation of GPP (general physical prepardeness). Increasing releative strength as mentioned above with pull ups, sit ups, dips, etc, since you are performing your sport using leverage and manuevers against another body as well as your own. Just my opinion would be to actually avoid training like a bodybuilder since that's not what you're doing if you are wrestling. Form without function is useless.

                what do u think would be more suited for wrestling?and would i still maitain the mass if i drop the bbing training?
                i only want to be known as the best ever is that too much to ask? -bj penn

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Himetime View Post
                  I'm a HS wrestling coach, S/C coach. form w/o function is not applicable. Training styles change depending on the time of year and the individual needs of the athlete. There is no cookie-cutter format. wrestling is strength sport, requiring explosive repeatable movement against an unpredictable force.
                  we teach the bbing lifestyle to manage weight and sef-disipline. I have not had anyone miss weight in 4 yrs, and we do not run in plastic suits or spit til you drop to get there...

                  do you have any work outs u can recommend? any info would be great as we have very limited wrestling population in australia
                  i only want to be known as the best ever is that too much to ask? -bj penn

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Give me some details about your age range, type of wrestling, level of experience both training in the gym and on the mat. And, what kind of gym/equipment you have available.
                    What have you done today to insure your success tomorrow?!

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by gilbrt View Post
                      do you have any work outs u can recommend? any info would be great as we have very limited wrestling population in australia
                      I was going to start by asking similar questions as himetime asked right above. Second I was just going to say that as long as the wrestler is spending the time mastering the art of his sport with lots of precise practice, the weightroom is nothing more than a general strength training means. There is no specific carryover to any exercise that is done that will translate to exact position and skill as on a mat. It just means one must strengthen those areas to combine with great skill and areboic thresholds. Those all together create a more skillful wrestler. Train energy systems, train the body, don't just train muscles. That's why I mentioned earlier athletes for the most part, not all, but most of the time should not lift weights like a bodybuilder. The bodybuilder is not conditioning their bodies to function any other way than to simply provide the most asthetically pleasing physique on stage compared to their opponents. It doesn't matter the vertical of a bodybuilder, it doesn't matter the speed of a bodybuilder, it doesn't matter the endurance, athletic ability, etc. Those are not trains why ronnie coleman has sandows. So you should not have those traits when preparing for sport.

                      I'd recommend paying attention to all positions when performing any kind of movement and making sure the muscles fire in perfect sequence and perfect harmony. Identify the strengths and weaknesses of the athlete and prepare a program around those traits. Maybe he's struggling with grappling for example , strengthing the back through explosive deadlifts, pull ups, etc can then allow him to have the type of holds and execution one demands to score points on the mat. That's just one example, we just need more info on this specific athlete to better answer such questions. I hope this has helped and good luck with everything.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        This is not about bbing, its about wrestling, give me the info I outlined and I will help you.
                        What have you done today to insure your success tomorrow?!

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Himetime View Post
                          This is not about bbing, its about wrestling, give me the info I outlined and I will help you.

                          6.0 tall
                          217.12 weight/98.7kg

                          25 years old

                          wrestling weight class is 209/95kg

                          with decent strenght but im not very flexible

                          i have been doning freestyle and greco for about 4 months at 3 times a week. i have done bjj prior to this for about 2 years .weight training for about 5/6 years on and off .any info you guys can give would be great and thanks for taking the time.
                          i only want to be known as the best ever is that too much to ask? -bj penn

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            im the one on the left hand side of the avatar with the navy tee and tattoo if that helps
                            i only want to be known as the best ever is that too much to ask? -bj penn

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              I have been wrestling for about a decade. I would recommend focusing your weight room training on exercises that are not meant to isolate one specific body part. Because when you are wrestling you will never only use one body part in isolation. A lot of the olympic lifts such as cleans, dead lifts and snacthes are good to build overall strength as well as to build explosiveness. Rowing exercies can also be very beneficial for your ground game as well ( such as gut wrenches). When we are in season we usually like to focus on high intensity circuits. This will help with muscular endurance as well as over all strength.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X