Mixing worthless supps!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mixing worthless supps!

So what happens when yout take 3 worthless supps combine them into one really worthless formula and study it? Nothing, that's what happens!

Journal of the International Society of Sports Nutrition. 3(2): 19-27, 2006. (www.sportsnutritionsociety.org)

Effects of Methoxyisoflavone, Ecdysterone, and
    Sulfo-Polysaccharide Supplementation on Training
    Adaptations in Resistance-Trained Males

Colin D. Wilborn1, Lemuel W. Taylor2, Bill I. Campbell3, Chad Kerksick4, Chris J. Rasmussen3,
    Michael Greenwood3, Richard B. Kreider3

Human Performance Lab, University of Mary Hardin Baylor, Belton, TX1; Exercise Physiology Lab, University
    of West Florida, Pensacola, FL2; Exercise and Sport Nutrition Laboratory, Baylor University, Waco, TX3;
    Applied Biochemistry and Molecular Physiology Laboratory, University of Oklahoma, Norman, OK4. Address
    correspondence to [email protected].

Recieved September 8, 2006/Accepted November 16, 2006

ABSTRACT

PURPOSE: Methoxyisoflavone (M), 20-hydroxyecdysone (E), and sulfo-polysaccharide (CSP3) have been
    marketed to athletes as dietary supplements that can increase strength and muscle mass during resistance-
    training. However, little is known about their potential ergogenic value. The purpose of this study was to
    determine whether these supplements affect training adaptations and/or markers of muscle
    anabolism/catabolism in resistance-trained athletes. METHODS: Forty-five resistance-trained males (20.53
    yrs; 1797 cm, 8416 kg, 17.39% body fat) were matched according to FFM and randomly assigned to ingest
    in a double blind manner supplements containing either a placebo (P); 800 mg/day of M; 200 mg of E; or, 1,000
    mg/day of CSP3 for 8-weeks during training. At 0, 4, and 8-weeks, subjects donated fasting blood samples and
    completed comprehensive muscular strength, muscular endurance, anaerobic capacity, and body composition
    analysis. Data were analyzed by repeated measures ANOVA. RESULTS: No significant differences (p>0.05)
    were observed in training adaptations among groups in the variables FFM, percent body fat, bench press 1RM,
    leg press 1RM or sprint peak power. Anabolic/catabolic analysis revealed no significant differences among
    groups in active testosterone (AT), free testosterone (FT), cortisol, the AT to cortisol ratio, urea nitrogen,
    creatinine, the blood urea nitrogen to creatinine ratio. In addition, no significant differences were seen from pre
    to post supplementation and/or training in AT, FT, or cortisol. CONCLUSION: Results indicate that M, E,
    and CSP3 supplementation do not affect body composition or training adaptations nor do they influence the
    anabolic/catabolic hormone status or general markers of catabolism in resistance-trained males. Journal of the
    International Society of Sports Nutrition. 3(2): 19-27, 2006
    Will Brink @ www.BrinkZone.com

Pffft...
    Ramblings and gear: WarriorFX.com : 500-word winners in 2008

Muscular Development Forum Rules :.

Comment

some supplement company with this formula gave them funding for this study. Hey at least they tried lol
      BioLayne LLC
      PhD, Nutritional Sciences
      Scivation Athlete
      MD Columnist
      Website

Comment

Originally posted by str8flexed View Post
        some supplement company with this formula gave them funding for this study. Hey at least they tried lol
        That's what I figured, but egads, what a formula. Clearly, no researcher would throw those three together for no reason, so it had to be some supp company. Hopefully they wont do what others have done when the study they paid for found no results: simply pretend the study did find results and take out ads talking about the great results that were found that never happended. One of the companies that just got nailed by the FTC for false claims diet pills had a study done that found the placebo was more effective then their product! Someone should find out what was in the placebo and sell that...

Comment

Originally posted by WillBrink View Post
          That's what I figured, but egads, what a formula. Clearly, no researcher would throw those three together for no reason, so it had to be some supp company. Hopefully they wont do what others have done when the study they paid for found no results: simply pretend the study did find results and take out ads talking about the great results that were found that never happended. One of the companies that just got nailed by the FTC for false claims diet pills had a study done that found the placebo was more effective then their product! Someone should find out what was in the placebo and sell that...

In order to have a placebo effect, would you not have to be taking something that you thought would give you the desired effect in the first place? How can you get a placebo effect without that?

"Sometimes known as non-specific effects or subject-expectancy effects, a so-called placebo effect occurs when a patient's symptoms are altered in some way (i.e., alleviated or exacerbated) by an otherwise inert treatment, due to the individual expecting or believing that it will work. Some people consider this to be a remarkable aspect of human physiology; others consider it to be an illusion arising from the way medical experiments are conducted."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Placebo
          "The only lack or limitation is in your own mind."

MD!!!

www.LivingDeadMafia.com

Click for Audio

Comment

Originally posted by The AdMan View Post
            In order to have a placebo effect, would you not have to be taking something that you thought would give you the desired effect in the first place? How can you get a placebo effect without that?
            There was a placebo group.

Comment

well I don't think the placebo group was significantly better in this case, I think it was just a trend. The press doesn't always interpret science correctly... in fact very rarely
              BioLayne LLC
              PhD, Nutritional Sciences
              Scivation Athlete
              MD Columnist
              Website

Comment

Originally posted by Anssi Manninen View Post
                There was a placebo group.
                I should have been more specific. I was not referring to the study, I was referring to the comment made that someone should sell the placebo. I was inferring that without the supplement in the first place that gives the consumer the belief that something wonderful will happen, how can you get a placebo effect.
                "The only lack or limitation is in your own mind."

MD!!!

www.LivingDeadMafia.com

Click for Audio

Comment

Originally posted by The AdMan View Post
                  I should have been more specific. I was not referring to the study, I was referring to the comment made that someone should sell the placebo. I was inferring that without the supplement in the first place that gives the consumer the belief that something wonderful will happen, how can you get a placebo effect.

Not sure I understand the comment, but people sell placebo all the time in the bbing industry. Anytime you sell a product that does not have any effects of it's own, yet people think they feel an effect, it's the placebo effect. Everyone likes to think they are immune to it, which is exactly what such companies count on to when they sell ecdesterone, etc.My comment about selling the placebo was intended as a joke, a nerd joke for science types perhaps, but a joke. The placebo was probably maltodextrin, but it could have been something else.

Comment

I'd love to market a sup called, "placebo." It would simply be cellulose and I would make some mad money. Kinda akin to the old Black Death cigarettes where the name says everything... yet, like Black Death cigs, I am sure people would pay for it

Comment

Originally posted by Warrior View Post
                      I'd love to market a sup called, "placebo." It would simply be cellulose and I would make some mad money. Kinda akin to the old Black Death cigarettes where the name says everything... yet, like Black Death cigs, I am sure people would pay for it
                      Placebo-Bol !

Comment

Come on now...dont be like that

The reason the supplements did not work was because of the supplement to supplement interactions. They simply cancelled each other out. If taken individually they are as effective as testosterone !

Comment

PRODUCT ANNOUCEMENT!

Originally posted by WillBrink View Post
                          Placebo-Bol !
                          I'll do the ads - you push the goods!
                          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Warrior View Post
                            I'll do the ads - you push the goods!
                            That's funny. Where did you find that? Make it yourself?

Comment

Yeah...

Comment

Working...
                              X