AAS: Beginner anabolic steroid use

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AAS: Beginner anabolic steroid use

Gents, I wrote this based on a previous discussion here... njoy - check out that USA Today flash vid too; at the end...

Beginner anabolic steroid use
    July 29th, 2007

Bodybuilding is a journey of learning – identifying boundaries and how to break through them. Major limitations are usually physiological, psychological or environmental. Each bodybuilder brings different success variables to the gym. Some have access to great facilities while others obtain great coaches or nutritionists. Elite bodybuilders reveal genetics that allow unusual amounts of muscle mass to be acquired – while others seek pharmaceutical assistance to make up for genetic shortcomings. Anabolic-androgenic steroids, hormones that boost muscle anabolism, have been used by professional and recreational athletes for decades. Periods of AAS use, referred to as steroid cycles, are employed to generate greater increases in strength and muscle hypertrophy.

What are anabolic-androgenic steroids?

Testosterone is a naturally occurring male hormone. It virilizes female embryos to become male fetuses. Through puberty and into adulthood, testosterone continues to influence many of the body’s characteristics. Females naturally produce testosterone but in very small amounts since they lack the male reproductive organ, the testes, which produces a great portion of circulating testosterone. If they are not cautious and modest with steroid use, females can obtain permanent male characteristics. Women tend to avoid steroid use for this reason.

All anabolic-androgenic steroids are derivatives of testosterone. Synthetic anabolic steroids were originally developed to alter the testosterone molecule for increased anabolic and decreased androgenic functions. Anabolic refers to the tissue-building events (muscle, bone), while androgenic activity is the result of the male-like effects (body hair, deepening of the voice). Obtaining a purely anabolic steroid would be ideal but is not possible – all exert some androgenic effects to varying degrees. On the therapeutic index, a measurement of anabolic versus androgenic ratios, testosterone rates as the baseline standard. Compared to testosterone, nandrolone rates an 11 to 12, significantly more anabolic than androgenic. The general idea behind stacking compounds is to increase total steroid use while minimizing unwanted androgenic side effects; such as increases in body hair, deepening of vocal patterns, prostate (males) or clitoris (females) enlargement, and aggravation of hereditary hair loss. Furthermore, steroids are combined in a manner destined to limit water or fat retention.

All steroid cycles need testosterone; even if only at a replacement dose. Self-administering testosterone, and other derivative androgens, shuts down natural testosterone until the body no longer senses external intervention. Eliminating testosterone from day-to-day functions routinely causes decreases in libido and general disposition. Anabolic steroid use in teens is careless since the body must maintain control during puberty’s development stages. The hypothalamic-pituitary-testicular axis can not fully regain power until all drugs complete their active lives. At that point, a post-cycle therapy plan is needed for a swift recovery. Ancillary drugs are often used to help complete recovery and amplify required signals to resume natural production; such as: nolvadex, arimidex, HCG and Clomid.

First AAS cycle, gaining familiarity

First cycles are a revelation of sorts. Under the right conditions, gains in muscle mass are rewarding. An athlete might feel a bit uneasy the first time supra physiological levels of androgens are experienced – not to mention getting accustomed to self-administering intramuscular injections – but most apprehension is cured through prior education. It’s paramount to take time to learn about drug use for enhanced performance, as well as how to remain safe. The steroid cycle’s purpose and forecasted actions must be outlined before anything is administered. Hormones are powerful chemical messengers and should always be treated as such to avoid unwanted results. Safe injection procedures must also be discovered.

Only one steroid is needed for an introductory cycle: testosterone. A first cycle should be structured in a simplistic manner that allows some initial guidance for future endeavors. Stacking several compounds is difficult to learn from due to all the concurrent drug use. Stacking is generally unnecessary for first time steroid cycles. It’s important to first understand reactions that occur during supra physiological amounts of blood testosterone. Notes should be taken regarding physiological, psychological and performance effects.

Anabolic steroids help athletes who are interested in greater musculature by escalating protein synthesis and cross-over binding to gluco-corticoids. The required dose for a pronounced ergogenic affect, with minimal risk, primarily depends on current lean body mass, partly due to receptor availability. Testosterone-induced muscular hypertrophy is dose-dependent. First-time steroid users frequently obtain performance benefits from testosterone-only therapy at doses that increase circulating testosterone levels 10-fold. If a strength athlete can not profit from major elevations in testosterone, there are deeper problems to address.

Steroids and the training year

Time spent off a cycle is at least as important as how the time is spent on; an important lesson to learn about training augmented by anabolic-androgenic steroids. Many embark on cycle, after cycle, extending the duration and becoming increasingly risky in their use. Frequently they get bigger and softer as time elapses – others lose the muscle gains they obtain. Why go through the torture of gaining muscle only to routinely lose it?

Time spent off is often left as an after thought, almost like a hopeless period. Many feel time off is an inevitable loss, but it does not need to be that way. A bodybuilder must fully explore their unique nutrition and training variables for many years before starting any pharmacological ergogenics, to include anabolic steroids. With cumulative training and nutrition knowledge, time spent off is also progressive.

Taking the time to lose accumulated fat in between steroid cycles directly makes future cycles more rewarding. Staying lean allows the body to obtain productive calorie partitioning and embrace shifts into rewarding growth phases. Periods of gaining muscle can benefit largely by anabolic steroid use but neither maintenance nor fat loss requires supra physiological amounts of androgens. Bodybuilders with excessive amounts of lean body mass can become an exception if steroid use has catapulted them past what their body can reasonably support naturally. Everybody has unique genetic ability to hold varying amounts of LBM.

It is also important to detrain every once in awhile – no matter how hard and unnatural it feels to stop working out. Periods of detraining can reset any accumulated levels of micro-trauma and fatigue and allow full recovery. An entire year without any breaks will lead to some degree of overreaching or overtraining syndrome. A couple weeks of rest should follow periods of frequent exhaustion; such as after an AAS-assisted bulking cycle or a long cutting phase. Detraining can lead to natural increases in plasma concentrations of growth hormone, testosterone and the testosterone-to-cortisol ratio (from decreases in cortisol levels). These hormone changes benefit any athlete trying to reverse the negative effects of overtraining syndrome. They are also helpful when coming off a cycle, when quick and full HPTA restoration is needed to support an increased in LBM.

Time spent off anabolic steroid cycles should be targeted toward cycle preparation, general preservation, eliminating excess fat mass or recovery after an exhausting period. Cycle priming, an AAS cycle preparation period, can use a cyclic carbohydrate diet and a fairly progressive training routine – the goal is to become sensitive to an upcoming increase in calories and training intensity. Maintenance phases are a time to set aside the training log and complicated dieting strategies – simply sustain current development. Cutting phases target excess body fat for breakdown and removal. Recovery periods of detraining are meant to replenish energy and allow the body to fully recover from the trauma caused by previous training cycles – abstinence from resistance and cardiovascular training. For example, this is a general training structure for a journey into enhanced bodybuilding performance:

Cycle priming for 8 to 10 weeks;
    AAS-assisted bulking for 4-8 weeks;
    Maintenance for 2-4 weeks;
    Cycle priming for 8 to 10 weeks;
    AAS-assisted bulking for 4-8 weeks;
    Body fat cutting for 8 to 10 weeks;
    Detraining for 1-2 weeks;
    So on, so forth…

The type of training (volume versus abbreviated, high-intensity versus fast-paced), for priming, cutting, bulking and maintenance, should have been discovered through trial, error and research – before embracing steroid use. Previously kept training logs can be analyzed as a golden map to discovering what works and what doesn’t for each training phase.

For many, the choice to use steroids for enhanced muscular development is clear and absolute. But impulsive moves and risky application can be avoided with a little prior research and planning.

USATODAY.com - How anabolic steroids work.
    Last edited by Warrior; July 29th, 2007, 10:31 AM.
    Ramblings and gear: WarriorFX.com : 500-word winners in 2008

Muscular Development Forum Rules :.

Nice work Warrior!

Comment

Originally posted by unoigo View Post
      Nice work Warrior!
      Thanks!

Comment

you've finally beat this priming thing into my head. thanks for the contributions.
        "Truth is truth, no matter who speaks it."
        Siddhattha Gotama

Comment

Warrior, i have a few questions regarding this thread(and a friend of mine)

1. A friend of mine(the biggest genetic freak i know) thinks its time to go to the dark side. He is currently 245lb at about 10bf at 6'1. You mentioned that the dose depends on the receptor availability, which i think in his case is a lot. So what dose would you recommend for his first cycle?

2. If he has been so successful naturally, does this mean that his body has the ability to keep large amounts of lbm => he will be successful with roids?

3. Would you elaborate a bit more on the concept of maintenance and give some example

4. I agree that detraining will give your system time to recover from trauma and fatigue but how come detraining can increase the levels of GH and testosterone. Is there a study you can provide us with to read?

Comment

Originally posted by std4 View Post
            1. A friend of mine(the biggest genetic freak i know) thinks its time to go to the dark side. He is currently 245lb at about 10bf at 6'1. You mentioned that the dose depends on the receptor availability, which i think in his case is a lot. So what dose would you recommend for his first cycle?
            Yes, with that much LBM he has more receptors to benefit from a greater amount of hormonal support. With that said, he should learn to walk before he runs - stay within reason. Aside from AR actions, he is obviously quite strong and capable of intense training, which initiates a lot of training damage and subsequent cortisol - AAS cross binds to excessive amounts of cortisol to keep it from tearing down muscle.
            2. If he has been so successful naturally, does this mean that his body has the ability to keep large amounts of lbm => he will be successful with roids?
            He seems like a good candidate to benefit from the gear. As long as his current development was built from not only genetics but plenty of knowledge about his body; first and foremost, he should understand all his growth variables: training, nutrition and various performance ergogenics... the favorable genetics will help him develop a large and lean physique with everything else in line.

3. Would you elaborate a bit more on the concept of maintenance and give some example
            There are many ways to overtrain. A maintenance routine is more about psycological symptoms than physiological. It's a time to simply enjoy what you have created thus far. Consistently logging meals and workouts can cause strain on motivation. Maintenance routines break free from structure and allow you to not focus so hard on consistent and progressive overloads - just maintain current development. Enjoy... and get a little pent up for an upcoming shift in priorities.

4. I agree that detraining will give your system time to recover from trauma and fatigue but how come detraining can increase the levels of GH and testosterone. Is there a study you can provide us with to read?
            Of course, callin' me out eh? It's all good, I would too!

The study was recently cited in: MUJIKA, I., and S. PADILLA. Muscular characteristics of detraining in humans. Med. Sci. Sports Exerc., Vol. 33, No. 8, 2001, pp. 1297-1303.

"Similar results have been observed in 12 weight lifters, whose FT fiber cross-sectional area declined by 6.4% in 14 d. Interestingly, increases were observed in plasma concentrations of growth hormone (58.3%), testosterone (19.2%), and the testosterone/cortisol ratio (67.6%), whereas cortisol and creatine kinase enzyme levels decreased respectively by 21.5 and 82.3%. According to the investigators, short-term training stoppage in strength athletes specifically affected FT fiber size, and changes in the hormonal milieu accompanying inactivity were propitious for an enhanced anabolic process, but the absence of the overload training stimulus prevented the materialization of such changes at the tissue level (26,28)."

26. HORTOB´AGYI, T., J. A. HOUMARD, J. R. STEVENSON, D. D. FRASER,
            R. A. JOHNS and R. G. ISRAEL. The effects of detraining on power
            athletes. Med. Sci. Sports Exerc. 25:929 –935, 1993.

28. HOUMARD, J. A., T. HORTOBA´ GYI, P. D. NEUFER, et al. Training
            cessation does not alter GLUT-4 protein levels in human skeletal
            muscle. J. Appl. Physiol. 74:776 –781, 1993.

Comment

Excellent read.
              marcus

Comment

Warrior,

respect for your knowledge, dedication and eagerness to help the others.

I have one more question on which i will ask you to elaborate as much as possible. I think this issue is not given enough attention and is taken as a rule of thumb. I am talking about the compound recommended for first timers - test. Why test? Don't you think that first timers can get good results from less androgenic compounds and then going to the more androgenic ones. For example you would not recommend tren for first timers. Why? Cause it's too androgenic, too hard, too powerful and has too many sides for beginners. Why don't you think in the same way for test as well. For example primo compared to test. much less sides and also good gains. Of course some say primo is weak. But what do they expect when they've had 500mg test for first. And 500mg test and 600eq for second cycle(just examples). People just go too far with the gear and then primo is weak. Why isn't there this slight gradation in compounds. Test is strong compound. Sure for first timers there will be gains, but there will be gains with other compounds as well, save the test for later. Why do you kill a rabbit with bullets for lions?

Comment

Warrior,

respect for your knowledge, dedication and eagerness to help the others.

I have one more question on which i will ask you to elaborate as much as possible. I think this issue is not given enough attention and is taken as a rule of thumb. I am talking about the compound recommended for first timers - test. Why test? Don't you think that first timers can get good results from less androgenic compounds and then going to the more androgenic ones. For example you would not recommend tren for first timers. Why? Cause it's too androgenic, too hard, too powerful and has too many sides for beginners. Why don't you think in the same way for test as well. For example primo compared to test. much less sides and also good gains. Of course some say primo is weak. But what do they expect when they've had 500mg test for first. And 500mg test and 600eq for second cycle(just examples). People just go too far with the gear and then primo is weak. Why isn't there this slight gradation in compounds. Test is strong compound. Sure for first timers there will be gains, but there will be gains with other compounds as well, save the test for later. Why do you kill a rabbit with bullets for lions?
                  Thanks, I don't consider myself the say all for drug use... just an informed and methodological user.

I tried to forecast and answer this question above, but I'll elaborate... first, re-read this: "All steroid cycles need testosterone; even if only at a replacement dose. Self-administering testosterone, and other derivative androgens, shuts down natural testosterone until the body no longer senses external intervention. Eliminating testosterone from day-to-day functions routinely causes decreases in libido and general disposition."

I've seen many developing trends in AAS use on the Internet, during the last 5 years I have been meeting with folks online. One movement I do not agree with is the ever-extending durations that are being routinely advised. Back a few years ago, common cycle recommendations were 8-10 weeks... these days, common recommendations are exceeding 12, 14 - 16 weeks; frequently for recreational bodybuilders! This is too damn long to expect to keep a growth window open while training hard.

The movement toward test-only beginner cycles is something I agree with 100 percent. Testosterone is a naturally occurring compound and shutting your natural androgen production down with a derivative can lead to poor disposition, drop in libido, difficulty recovery, and other less identifiable effects to a man's system. Your body (endocrine system) needs the presence of testosterone - if anything, a replacement dose should be administered... but beginners do not, should not stack. They should start with the father of hormones first - testosterone - observe the affects and choose to either increase it's dose or stack later. Alternatively, one could use suspensions or orals (administered once per day) to have minimized impact on the HPTA - but the hormone swings (and injection frequencies) can cause there own issues... also, those kind of structures are harder to learn from.

Comment

Originally posted by Warrior View Post
                    The movement toward test-only beginner cycles is something I agree with 100 percent. Testosterone is a naturally occurring compound and shutting your natural androgen production down with a derivative can lead to poor disposition, drop in libido, difficulty recovery, and other less identifiable effects to a man's system. Your body (endocrine system) needs the presence of testosterone - if anything, a replacement dose should be administered... but beginners do not, should not stack.

test is shutting the natural androgen production down more than most of the roids. so in this sense it is no better than primo(for example). the recovery from primo will be much easier and faster than with test=> more size kept. about the argument that we all have test is naturally occuring - so what? if it was best why did the humanity invent more/new drugs with different anabolic/androgenic ratio. the body recognises all the roids as test, since it has no receptors for winny or deca... just the anabolic/androgenic effects are different. moreover all roids are test in a way since they are its derivatives, or derivatives of its metabolites. i also don't agree with the argument about the libido. here is a short story. usually a newbie comes to the boards and asks can i do this and this for first cycle. than some guys from the board that think they know everything say - all you need is 500mg test a week. the newbie is like - but why? the guys from the board - do you want to use your dick? the newbie is ok i take 500mg per week and that's it. so on so forth. why why why? why do we have to do the cycle based on taking something that will allow us to have sex. don't get me wrong i don't want libido decrease, but to do the cycle with test just because otherwise i won't have sex is not what has to define my cycle.

as i told you this issue is not given enough attention(in my opinion) and i will be very happy if we can come to conclusion(convince i am wrong or whatever). waiting for some more input from you and some other arguments other than the libido and the natural occurance in the body. i myself(don't know for the others) just don't find these two arguments concrete enough to convince me that test is best for first cycle.

Comment

Well, let the round table begin!

AAS are derivatives but they certainly are not testosterone. Hormones are powerful messengers - slight alterations can cause major events to occur. In your context, testosterone should then behave like cholesterol, since it is a derivative of that compound. However, testosterone's actions are far different...

Androgen receptors are everywhere - the brain, bone, muscle, skin - each compound's unique modification changes how it interacts with certain receptors, it's binding ability, it's non-AR mediated actions and it's ability to interact with the enzyme aromatase - leading to increases in plasma female hormones. Progesterone in large amounts will kill sex drive - there are lots of studies using sex offenders. Progesterone is a known killer of sex drive - which can create issues with any progestin - including trenbolone. Estrogen causes increases in aggression (studies also prove this). Testosterone is linked to greater disposition and sense of well being... nandrolone (progestin), boldenone, trenbolone (progestin), stanozolol, ... they all have varying affects on the mind and body... they are not all testosterone - the little modifications cause major events, directly and indirectly.

Man generally created different AAS to find a way to grasp testosterone's tissue building power while minimizing androgenic issues. Athletes became interested in this as well. The problem is: if you create a steady release in exogenous hormone release via a oil depot in the muscle, natural production stops. Your testes stop receiving the signal to produce testosterone and will not recover until it receives the signals again - which will not occur until after all external use stops. So you have no internal testosterone circulating. Now your internal androgen levels have been replaced with a derivative compound that is similar but causing much different reaction at androgen doses far beyond what the body's systems are accustomed to... you don't see anything wrong with that? Take brief periods to accelerate muscle gain with AAS, but don't deprive the endocrine system of it's naturally occurring hormone - at least administer a concurrent replacement dose. Furthermore, beginners should not stack (TRT with another AAS) so they should stick to a modest t-only cycle, take notes and build from there.

Ya dig?

Comment

Originally posted by Warrior View Post
                        - the little modifications cause major events, directly and indirectly.

Man generally created different AAS to find a way to grasp testosterone's tissue building power while minimizing androgenic issues.
                        That was Dr. John Ziegler's doing to counter the Soviet athlete's dominance during the 1950-60's era, right?

Comment

Originally posted by Grubrunner View Post
                          That was Dr. John Ziegler's doing to counter the Soviet athlete's dominance during the 1950-60's era, right?
                          Seriously, look at the Olympic winner results during that era... testosterone was originally identified in 1935. Soon after it became clinically available for hormone replacement therapy. Russia started taking a lot of medals around the time scientist had not only isolated testosterone but had started with the derivatives... but I am sure it's just a coincidence

Comment

I am not qiute sure where to post this and I am not going to be the moron who put up these stupid ass threads that noone answers because the idiot hasn't taken the time to look it up. I have done that but it is that the answers are still inclear to me. SO
                            Q1- Are oral cycles only worth the liver damage you'll do or should a prohormone cycle better?
                            Q2-Is the chances of gyno really increased if you use oral dianabol over any other oral?
                            Q3- If an all oral cycle is used, would you need to use more liver care products than you would on a PH cycle?
                            Q4- last one for now is just a bout joint health. Would cissus be an effective alternative to glucosamine and msm?

Comment

Hello...I'm new to this thread, and I wanted to know do I only start with test? I'm only 5'5 and weight 150 lbs. Also, where can I find some real test that is not oral? Looked at some websites but not sure if they are legit and worried about getting arrested... thanks for your help.

Comment

Working...
                              X