Effects of Testosterone Supplementation on Oral Contraceptives

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Effects of Testosterone Supplementation on Oral Contraceptives

My doc and I are curious about starting me on a round of testosterone. I currently take oral contraceptives for both contraception and to manage another condition of mine. For these two reasons, it is very important that I am able to take this with its same efficacy.

Does anyone have any studies to show the relationship between testosterone supplementation and oral contraceptives?

Much thanks.
    Why are you wearing that stupid bunny suit?

I don't personally know of any studies concerning their mutual use in women, but as far as contraception goes, I cannot see any reason why testosterone should intertfere with the birth control's ability to keep you from getting pregnant.

As for your other problem, you don't mention what it is, so I couldn't say. If you don't want to post this condition in an open forum and would prefer to privately PM someone, you can send it to myself, Heavy Iron or Sister Steel and we can respond through PM.

Comment

There is limited data available to support the use of testosterone in premenopausal women and all medical literature available discusses different options of treating a variety of conditions in post-menopausal women but little is available on premenopausal. Because the effects of test in women have not been widely researched, it is mostly prescribed to patients who have tried estrogen-based HRT without success and in a few cases, to premenopausal women who were found to have extremely low levels of testosterone. I'm assuming the test is being prescribed to treat low libido?

No one can tell you how effective your contraceptives will be while on supplemental testosterone when we don't know the condition you were treating with your BC to begin with.

SS
      Death by Snoo Snoo!

Comment

Sorry about that! I don't know why I forgot to mention.

The condition I am interested in "testing" with a round of testosterone is fibromyalgia (FM). I do not believe I have a low test level (I can put on muscle easily despite being on birth control for about 8 years, and I've had a higher sex drive than any boyfriend I've ever had by several times, plus I'm only 25), but have read the symptoms of low testosterone and noticed that it mirrored some of the symptoms of FM. With my doctor, we did a quick search and found a woman who claims to be treating FM successfully in post-menopausal women with rounds of testosterone.

The birth control I am taking for two reasons. The most obvious is an effective contraception, and the other is a condition called Meddleschmertz. I was diagnosed with this when I was a teenager and have been on birth control for it before I ever started having sex. Prior to menstruating, a small cyst is made on the ovary that the egg must pass through. With my condition, the cysts are larger and more painful...like, you wake up and curl into a tight fetal position and you can't move. Remember, I was in the Marine Corps and marched a 10k and 15k with 100lbs on my back and a broken foot, so when I can't move because of the pain, it's a lot of friggin' pain! I tried going off birth control for a while to see if the condition still was as bad as it was before (it's managed remarkably well on birth control), and when that time rolled around, I was on all fours and unable to breathe. This may sound similar to poly-cystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS), but it's not.

For those unfamiliar with FM, it does produce low-test-like symptoms (fatigue, lack of concentration), but is more known for the widespread pain, spasms, and muscle tightening. So I'm already in lots of pain and, because the testosterone supplementation wouldn't do anything for the pain management, I would be in much worse pain. Add this to the fact that I have dislocated ribs (like the FM, this also occurred in the service), and...well, let's just say that managing one type of pain (Meddleschmertz) is probably all I can hope for and I'm not willing to give it up!

Comment

May I ask what type of test you will be taking and how much?

Comment

Originally posted by Nemesis RR View Post
            May I ask what type of test you will be taking and how much?
            No clue on either front. That would all depend on the ones that affect the oral contraceptives. I'm open to anything.

Comment

Hello. I believe steroid.com and steroidology.com had some studies posted on this awhile back. I am so sorry to hear about your fibromyalgia. As I understand that is an extremely debilitating disease. One of my childrens friends mothers had that, and it was recommended to her that she have professional massage therapy twice a week. It really helped improve her condition. Good luck with finding the information you need!

Comment

Originally posted by SessionGal View Post
                Hello. I believe steroid.com and steroidology.com had some studies posted on this awhile back. I am so sorry to hear about your fibromyalgia. As I understand that is an extremely debilitating disease. One of my childrens friends mothers had that, and it was recommended to her that she have professional massage therapy twice a week. It really helped improve her condition. Good luck with finding the information you need!
                Thanks. I will post information here if I find something about it.

And yeah, I qualify for Social Security Disability, but what kind of life is it where I live off of tax payers and take pain meds all day?

Comment

Working...
                X