Facial hair: How to deal with it

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Facial hair: How to deal with it

One of the most prominent, annoying and longer lasting side effects of AAS use is hirsutism. I have been meaning to start a discussion on this and I apologize for the delay. But I was in prep for the world championship and am just now getting the chance to catch up and post some insightful info for our female community here on MD.

I thought I'd get the ball rolling to see if there are any opinions before I offer some advice on possible remedies to this side effect as well as offer long term support on how to manage a lifetimes worth of this problem.

SS
    Death by Snoo Snoo!

Well I managed to get a very cheap course of laser at a charity auction, I'm hoping this'll do the trick. I have my 2nd session Saturday, I've not seen any noticeable difference from the 1st, but I have 6 sessions so hopefully that'll be enough. If not I doubt I'll be able to afford anymore.

In the meantime, just shave it. Waxing takes too long to grow, you'd have a full blown beard before it was long enough to wax - not pretty! Most dilapidary creams contain estrogenic parabens (ugh!) and can't be used on acne anyhow (which most of us get when on the gear). So yeah, shave it with a great big smile & say yourself: "This is sooooo much better than PERIODS!!!"

Comment

Originally posted by Gunsblazin View Post
      Well I managed to get a very cheap course of laser at a charity auction, I'm hoping this'll do the trick. I have my 2nd session Saturday, I've not seen any noticeable difference from the 1st, but I have 6 sessions so hopefully that'll be enough. If not I doubt I'll be able to afford anymore.

In the meantime, just shave it. Waxing takes too long to grow, you'd have a full blown beard before it was long enough to wax - not pretty! Most dilapidary creams contain estrogenic parabens (ugh!) and can't be used on acne anyhow (which most of us get when on the gear). So yeah, shave it with a great big smile & say yourself: "This is sooooo much better than PERIODS!!!"
      Actually, most women who have to shave their faces are not as happy go lucky as you appear to be about it. In fact, it is easily the worst side effect of AAS use that women experience. It comes with a whole bunch of psychological issues where most women end up compulsively pulling and tweezing all day long and become very self conscious about anyone seeing or feeling the stubble. Laser does not always do the trick, especially if you continue to use, and putting a blade to your face will only make the hairs come back thicker and darker than every before. Its a shitty mess really.
      Death by Snoo Snoo!

Comment

Originally posted by SisterSteel View Post
        Actually, most women who have to shave their faces are not as happy go lucky as you appear to be about it. In fact, it is easily the worst side effect of AAS use that women experience. It comes with a whole bunch of psychological issues where most women end up compulsively pulling and tweezing all day long and become very self conscious about anyone seeing or feeling the stubble. Laser does not always do the trick, especially if you continue to use, and putting a blade to your face will only make the hairs come back thicker and darker than every before. Its a shitty mess really.
        I am one of those unfortunate ones who happens to be a bit of a hair bear anyways, whether competing or not. Shoot, I'm nursing my last baby and I still have friggen whiskers that I pluck every few weeks! When I'm competing it becomes even more noticeable as the hair gets SUPER dark (whah)! My mom always told me not to shave or wax it but to bleach it out. On season, it's once a week maybe twice as it seems to go back fast. I doesn't irritate my skin but others may have very sensitive skin where it could be problematic. When I come into my off season it always goes back to normal which looks like peach fuzz. It may not be the best approach but it's always an option.

Comment

Originally posted by SisterSteel View Post
          Yeah I go through pulling & tweezing phases when I've got the time, although for me the worst side I've experienced is the irreversible 'tranny voice' which makes hot guys think I'm a man & when I try to scream or cheer my voice breaks & croaky sound comes out. That's worse. But hey, I was never meant to be a singer so I can live with an even shittier voice than I had before if I've got huge arms. And they're currently a shade under 16", biggest they've ever been. This sport's all about sacrifice, I just see virilization as a part of that. The only thing that scares me is the thought of my face getting ugly but someone people say it doesn't happen because of AAS usage, just low bodyfat & FBBs look fine in the off season. I dunno.
          Last edited by Gunsblazin; July 4th, 2010, 03:36 PM. Reason: spelling mistake

Comment

To be fair I've known some very hot girls who have never touched an AAS and have to deal with hair a LOT of hair growth. I'm suprised laser removal isn't that effective, I've heard the newest laser treatments only take a couple sessions for complete removal, hell even if you have to do a dozen sessions it seems worth it.

Comment

Originally posted by Kaladryn View Post
              To be fair I've known some very hot girls who have never touched an AAS and have to deal with hair a LOT of hair growth. I'm suprised laser removal isn't that effective, I've heard the newest laser treatments only take a couple sessions for complete removal, hell even if you have to do a dozen sessions it seems worth it.

What sort of laser treatment takes care of hair growth is a couple of sessions? If you can link me I would be very appreciative as this is the first I've heard of it. There are quite a few factors that lead to hirsutism in women. The most common causes are Insulin resistance, POS or polycystic ovarian syndrome, and hormonal imbalance due to menopause.
              Death by Snoo Snoo!

Comment

Anyway, I've compiled some information that might be helpful to all females who struggle with excessive hair growth. I will start with the different most commonly used methods of hair removal with a brief description of each.

Shaving: shaving is the simplest and least invasive form of hair removal, so many individuals choose to shave their unwanted hair on a daily basis. Many individuals do opt to use shaving as their main form of hair removal, however this hair removal method is temporary and may lead to some side effects. Side effects may include but are not limited to redness, razor burn, and ingrown hairs. If you are looking for a more permanent hair removal method, which would reduce these side effects, you should consider laser hair removal.

Bleaching: An OTC peroxide solution is used to lighten the color of facial hair. Always run a trial test first to ensure that you do not have an adverse reaction to the chemical. That can easily results in skin burns and even scarring.

Plucking: Probably the most commonly used method to getting rid of a light chin stubble or a few stray hairs here and there. Just remember to disinfect the tweezers and the area of the skin to be plucked before the start of the process.

Threading: Threading can be slightly more uncomfortable for some but is a rather effective method for removing fine hair on the face, brow and upper lip.
                Last edited by SisterSteel; July 6th, 2010, 12:15 PM.
                Death by Snoo Snoo!

Comment

More costly methods for the more severe issues:

Electrolysis: If the facial hair is dark and coarse and a source of major embarrassment, a lady may look at the option of electrolysis. In this method an electric current is passed through a fine needle which is inserted into the hair follicle and this cauterizes the hair root preventing re growth. This procedure is costly and very time consuming.

Laser Hair Removal: One important requirement is that one's hair should be darker than the surrounding skin. This method was limited to light skinned individuals with dark hair. Dark skinned individuals could not use these lasers for effective hair removal because early generation lasers were unable to distinguish between skin pigment and hair follicles, which led to the burning of those with darker skin. But all that has changed and laser technology has vastly improved.
                  Death by Snoo Snoo!

Comment

Perma Tweeze: This is also a relatively newer method of hair removal. In this procedure a tweezer, that is electrically operated, is used to pluck hair from the root. It also requires multiple sittings. It is expensive and does not normally carry the risk of scarring. The texture, and amount of hair growth will normally decide if this treatment is to be recommended and if it will be effective.
                    Death by Snoo Snoo!

Comment

Medications For Increased Hair: Although hirsutism shows on the skin, it is started by hormones in the blood. It is therefore as much an internal as external condition. Treatment directed at the hormonal cause can be quite effective.

Proper treatment depends on balancing out hormone levels. As we know, the imbalance in some cases is initially caused by the use of exogenous hormones. Most of the time women will avoid this approach because it counters the more beneficial aspects of AAS usage that women seek.

1) Lowering the level of free testosterone. Oral contraceptives (OCs) are often used for this since some will lower free testosterone by about half. However by themselves, OCs help only slightly. They slow hair growth rates but not down to normal.

2) Blocking the effect of testosterone on the hair follicle. Several medications have this effect. Here are some of the most often used:
                      Spironolactone (Aldactone) is the medication most commonly used to block testosterone when used in the proper dose. Originally introduced for treatment of high blood pressure, spironolactone is probably now more often used for hirsutism. Doses for hirsutism are higher than those for high blood pressure. Spironolactone can cause menstrual periods to come closer together but combined use with an OC will usually keep the cycle regulated. Because it is a diuretic spironolactone can cause slight dehydration.

Finasteride (Proscar and Propecia) is sold in different doses under the brand names Proscar and Propecia for prostate enlargement and male pattern baldness. This medication blocks the enzyme 5 alpha-reductase which converts testosterone to its more active form, DHT (dihydrotestosterone). DHT is the hormone responsible for the gradual enlargement of the prostate which occurs in most men beyond the age of fifty. A form of this same enzyme is active in the hair follicle and plays a role in both increased hair and loss of hair from the scalp. We know this because people with a rare inherited condition of deficiency of this enzyme have scant body hair.

Vaniqa (eflornithine) is a topical cream which is FDA approved for treatment of facial hair. It is applied twice a day and works by slowing the metabolism of the hair follicle. It does not eliminate the hair but simply slows its growth. It is, however, very pricey and most insurance companies will not cover the cost even with a script because its use is considered more cosmetic than therapeutic.
                      Death by Snoo Snoo!

Comment

^^^^^^^^

Another medication which belongs to the same class of drugs as Finasteride is Dutasteride. I just figuered I would throw this in here.

Dutasteride is more effective than Finasteride (and more expensive), as it is a competitve inhibitor of both type-1 and type-2 isoenzymes of DHT, while Finasteride blocks only type-2 isoenzymes.

Dutasteride has been shown to be able to lower serum concentrations of DHT by up to 94% within 4 months, while Finasteride sits at 70% over that same time period.

Dutasteride is also more consistent it's it's level of inhibition, with serum DHT concentrations remaining within 3% for all patients, while DHT levels can fluctuate as much as 18% with Finasteride.

The half-lives of each drug vary subtantially, as well, with Dutasteride having a 5 week half-life and Finatseride having only a 6-15 hour half-life.

Another interesting affect of both Dutasteride and Finasteride is that both have been clinically shown to increase testosterone by up to 10%-20%. Remember though, the Testosterone increase garnered from the treatment of these drugs is testosterone which will not contribute to increased masculinization or body hair growth. So, for women, this is a benefit, as this unconverted testosterone will help support additional muscle growth and a greater sex drive.

This increase in Testosterone is simply Testosterone that you will already have present in your body, but which will not be converted to DHT, which is the primary offender of androgenic effects in the body, including androgenically mediated body hair growth. Therefore, even though there will be extra Testosterone circulating through your system to support increased muscle growth and sex drive, there will be an overall reduction in whole body androgenic effect due to the reduction in DHT.

This increase is minimal and will have little effect, but it certainly won't hurt.

Comment

Here are two different natural facial hair removal techniques that people say work:

Method 1
                          Make a paste using sugar, lemon and water. Apply this paste on your face in the direction of the hair growth. Leave it on for 10 to 15 minutes and then rinse it off with cold water.

Method 2
                          Blend 1/2 teaspoon of corn flour, 1 teaspoon of sugar and a whole egg to make a thick, sticky paste. Apply the paste on your face in the direction of hair growth. Once this homemade hair remover solution is dry, peel it off in the opposite direction. It sounds like this facial hair removal method will pull the hair out by the root, so it might hurt!

Also, a product called Nadís is supposedly all natural (or maybe itís mostly natural), with ingredients like honey, dates, vinegar, lemon, etc. You might want to try it. Or you could look up the ingredients and try to create your own homemade hair remover using similar things.

Personally, I would proceed very cautiously using any homemade hair remover method. Even though they seem natural, they may not necessarily be gentle on the skin ó and who knows whether theyíre effective at facial hair removal or not. So, like with any other facial hair removal method, try it out on a small area before using it all over your upper lip or chin. You might even want to try one of the homemade hair remover solutions on your arm or leg first, when your skin is less sensitive.
                          Death by Snoo Snoo!

Comment

Apart from these methods, there are some simple procedures, which can restrict and remove hairs from face and the their root itself. Applying them regularly for some days can eliminate the unwanted hair permanently. Some are given below.

*A mask of a mixture of sugar + lemon + water for about 10 to 15 minutes
                            *Mask of 1 tablespoon lemon juice + 4 tablespoons honey
                            *A thick paste of Egg + 1 tablespoon sugar + 1/2 corn flour

Before you try anything to remove facial hair, it is necessary for you to know that it is normal to have fine hair on the upper lip, sideburns and around the chin. However, if it is too thick and coarse in texture, then you would need to get rid of it. A simple way of doing this is to bleach any unwanted hair away from your face. You can buy a packet of body bleach from any pharmacy. This will work well enough and the procedure will have to be repeated when you notice darker hairs beginning to show up again.

Alternately, you can also apply hydrogen peroxide on the entire area evenly and wash it off after about 10 minutes. Do this for at least a week to see positive results. Lime juice, a natural bleaching agent, can also be applied to the area frequently to lighten the color of the skin. Do remember to always apply sunscreen before going out when you do this, otherwise that area will tan darkly.

Alternatively, you can use a ball of freshly kneaded dough, dip it in olive oil and rub the entire "hairy" area mildly with it for about 10 minutes. This will remove hair from the roots. You must do this at least thrice a week for at least six months, or till the hair stops growing back. This is the only method that will ensure that you are permanently rid of the unwanted hair.
                            Death by Snoo Snoo!

Comment

Some remedies have been previously posted, so pardon their inclusion in this all encompassing home remedy post.

HOME REMEDIES FOR HAIR REMOVAL

*The simplest method is to shave the unwanted hair off as often as necessary, perhaps once or twice or week.

*Apply a mixture of besan and haldi (turmeric) with a little water, to face. When it dries, gently rub off. This will remove excessive facial hair. This is one of the useful home remedies for hair removal.

*The technique of waxing hair removal is also very effective. In this technique apply wax with a butter knife on the hairy area, press down with a cellophane paper or cloth strip, and yank it off in the direction opposite to hair growth. Waxing will also make hair grow out thicker, but the growth will reduce in the long run if you keep waxing regularly.

*Plucking also helps in the removal of hair. Pluck them once or twice a week.

*Bleaching can also help to remove the facial hair.

*Prepare a mixture by adding haldi, besan and some curd and apply to the face. It is an effective remedy for the removal of facial hair.

*Simply wash your face twice a day with a face wash, and follow up with a toner. Apply a moisturizer after shaving. This is an effective home remedy for hair removal.

*Add a little haldi to the gram flour and water. The hair will come out.

*Try plucking out the hair with a pair of tweezers.

*Prepare a paste by adding a tablespoon of besan with a few pinches of haldi and a little malai and apply to the face.One of the useful home remedies for hair removal.

*Lemon is natural bleach, so apply that with an equal amount of honey and leave on for ten to fifteen minutes. Do this everyday.

*When bathing, apply soap and scrub your hands and legs gently with a pumice stone everyday. This will take some time, but with patience your hair will gradually reduce and diminish.

*Mix lemon, sugar, and honey in a bowl. Microwave on high for about 2-3 minutes, until it bubbles into a smooth consistency. Spread a thin layer on your leg. Cover with a strip of fabric, and rubbing the strip the opposite way of hair growth, about 3 times. Grab the fabric end and pull it off very quickly against the direction of the hair growth. This is an effective home remedy for hair removal.

*A healthy lifestyle supplemented with proper diet is the magic key for healthy and beautiful hair.

*Sandpaper is also effective for the removal of unwanted hairs.

*Wash the ingrown hair area twice a day with a Panoxyl bar, an antibacterial soap of 10 percent benzyl peroxide found at your local drugstore. This is one of the best home remedies for hair removal.

*Apply an over-the-counter hydrocortisone preparation such as Cortaid around the ingrown hair according to package directions.

*If ingrown hairs are inflamed and infected, change your razor blade each time you shave until the ingrown hair is gone.

Reference:
                              PDR for herbal medicines. 2nd rev. ed. Medical Economics Co., 2000.
                              The 5-minute herb and dietary supplement consult . Adriane Fugh-Berman, editor. Lippincott, Williams & Wilkins, 2003.
                              Concise encyclopedia of foods & nutrition. 2nd ed. By M.E. Ensminger. CRC Press, 1995.
                              Death by Snoo Snoo!

Comment

Working...
                              X