No announcement yet.

One Figure Lady Asks, "Was it Worth it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One Figure Lady Asks, "Was it Worth it?

This is the story of one Master Figure Lady who competed in the Arnold Classic. It is probably the story of most of the men and women who travel to Columbus each year to stand on stage and present themselves to the judges and audience at this "important" event.

This Master Figure Lady trained for several months to prepare herself to be competitive. She worked extremely hard at her training and contest prep, sacrificing her home life and social life to get ready.

She spent hundreds of dollars on her suit, shoes, makeup and other things she would need to be self-sufficient back stage.

She spent hundreds of dollars on air fare, hotel room, cab rides and food.

She spent hundreds of dollars on a personal trainer, figure coach, and on contest entry fees.

Then is was time for her competition. There were 23 girls in her class, all of whom spent the same kind of money and made the same kind of sacrifices as did our Master Figure Lady.

Her competition was over shortly after it started. The head judge skipped the group walk-on and passed the word back stage that there would only be individual walks at that time and some comparisons later.

In the end, the judges named the top five Master Figure Ladies AND DID NOT PLACE THE REST OF THE CLASS.

Why didn't they place the class in order of finish? Maybe because they didn't take the time to place the class in order or maybe they were just too overwhelmed because there were too many competitors and too many classes for there to be a fairly judged competition.

Doesn't every man and women who goes through what they have to in order to compete in an amateur show like the Arnold deserve to be judged and placed in the position they earned?

My Master Figure Lady thinks so. She asks a simple question that I will let anyone who cares to answer for her:

Does the NPC and the Arnold really care about the athletes, or is it JUST ABOUT THE MONEY THEY MAKE FROM HUNDRED OF MEN AND WOMEN BODYBUILDERS, FIGURE AND FITNESS COMPETITORS who enter this contest each year?

My Master Figure Lady left Columbus on Friday morning instead of staying for the weekend because she was disappointed and disgusted with the whole process.

And, for all her efforts, sacrifice and money spent, the only result my Master Figure Lady has to show for everything she did for six months before the Arnold is the title: DID NOT PLACE. Maybe she was 6th, or 10th or last. She will never know and that's too bad.

Here are the Official Results from the Arnold in the Masters Figure competition:

Masters Medium

Deborah Judy

LeNora Angles

Tracy Guarino

Tonni Spaleny

Kristin Kristjansdottir

NP
    Amy Rosenberg

NP
    Catalina Illades

NP
    Charla Cormier

NP
    Daphne Bascom

NP
    Dena Vamprien

NP
    Joanna Frichtel

NP
    Michele Olney

NP
    Olivia McGuire

NP
    Tiffany Karnig

Masters Short

Angela Kegler

Lori Pavesi

Tracy Grogg

Daphne Bascom

Katherine Fratello

NP
    Anne Strauch

NP
    Cheryl Nance

NP
    Erica Sammy

NP
    Fern Assard

NP
    Linda Thoresen

NP
    Mary Roberti

NP
    Megan Barnes

NP
    Nisette Gray

NP
    Sabrina Sonner

NP
    Sally Meints

NP
    Stacy Rose

NP
    Teasha Hardy

NP
    Tena Cirel

NP
    Tracy Guarino

Masters Tall

Andrea Ternes

Laurie Gunzelman

Tammy Miller

Sharon Fillyaw

Jennifer Peckham

Overall Winner

Gloria Keplinger

Was it worth it?
    Scott "Old Navy" Hults
    Master Pro Bodybuilder
    www.BodyBuildingSenior.com

Maybe she can find the full results on the Arnold site. She's still a WINNER in my book for prepping and getting on stage.

Old Navy, did you prep her? I know she looked great w/ your motivation.
    JOIN my health transformation challenge
    www dot flexwithdrexfor90days dot bodybyvi dot com

Comment

Originally posted by MsGuns View Post
      Maybe she can find the full results on the Arnold site. She's still a WINNER in my book for prepping and getting on stage.

Old Navy, did you prep her? I know she looked great w/ your motivation.
      These results are from the Arnold site. She looked at other sites that showed results and they were all similar, Top Five named in order and the rest DID NOT PLACE. As a competitor yourself, you understand how important it is to know where you place in a competition. How else can you learn from your experience and make improvements if you don't have that kind of feedback? I know I wouldn't spend hundreds of dollars and months of training only to find out I DID NOT PLACE.
      Last edited by Old Navy; March 15th, 2010, 09:13 PM.
      Scott "Old Navy" Hults
      Master Pro Bodybuilder

Comment

This is HORRIBLE. It clearly has become about money. If the judges don't want to put in the amount of time it takes to properly judge and place they should not judge and instead let someone else judge who is willing to sacrifice the amount of time it takes.

Or else the Arnold should limit the number of amateur entries. First come first serve basis. There is no excuse for this bullshit. Who goes to enter a contest so they can be placed in top 5 only. She should file an official complaint.

Comment

Pretty lame, greed factor is at a 10
          http://www.buybulkwhey.com

Comment

Frankly, I've always thought that a system whereby any notes that a judge might care to write down about a competitor should be made known to them, in addition to, of course, a placing.

Full scores for symmetry, muscularity and presentation should be made known (not just placing or total scores), IMO.

Also, its too bad that the culture at many shows is to not approach judges after the show to get feedback. I know MANY very good judges who can tell you a lot, but many competitors either don't take the time to talk with judges, out of frustration, fatigue, hunger, etc. or even if they've won (and get tied up with trophies, etc. and the judges are gone too quickly). I've also spoken to judges who keep their notes from each show they judge, and can rely constructive criticism to athletes if they just email the judge with their competitor's number.

You athlete might actually try this, Old Navy, to see if she's remembered by any of the judges or if any notes exist.

-Scott

Comment

Originally posted by homonunculus View Post
              Frankly, I've always thought that a system whereby any notes that a judge might care to write down about a competitor should be made known to them, in addition to, of course, a placing.

Full scores for symmetry, muscularity and presentation should be made known (not just placing or total scores), IMO.

Also, its too bad that the culture at many shows is to not approach judges after the show to get feedback. I know MANY very good judges who can tell you a lot, but many competitors either don't take the time to talk with judges, out of frustration, fatigue, hunger, etc. or even if they've won (and get tied up with trophies, etc. and the judges are gone too quickly). I've also spoken to judges who keep their notes from each show they judge, and can rely constructive criticism to athletes if they just email the judge with their competitor's number.

You athlete might actually try this, Old Navy, to see if she's remembered by any of the judges or if any notes exist.

-Scott
              Scott, I've judged more than a dozen shows, some larger than others. I always take notes about every competitor. I jot down things I see, good and bad, during the individual posing routine and the figure t-walk. I listen to the announcer when each competitor is named and I write down their first name next to their number. I make it a point to have constructive information about every competitor. You should see the surprised look on a face when I say,"Hi, Sue, you looked great. You were holding a little water, but your definition and symmetry were excellent. You might try a little more work on your calves."

I do this as a judge because I have competed in more than 30 shows and I know what the athletes want and expect from their contest. They want to know how they did and how they can improve next time. I talk to first place winners and last place finishers with the same intensity and passion.

I know judging isn't easy. We have about five minutes to place a class in pre-judging. Most of the time, there are 10 to 15 figure ladies and we place everyone by number, no matter how many we have. It's only fair. Same thing for the bodybuilders. If we have 15 middleweights, number one will know his placement as will number 15. It's only fair.

The person who finished last probably worked just as hard and spent just as much time and money prepping as the person who placed first. They have a right to know and the judges have an obligation to do what's right. It's only fair.
              Scott "Old Navy" Hults
              Master Pro Bodybuilder

Comment

As a competitor I truly do understand her frustrations.
                With the amount of time and effor tput in to contest prep, everyone should be judged.

Here is a link to another site that lists placings beyond 5th, but I'm not sure how accurate they are. Scroll down to the end with the masters categories: http://www.hardfitness.com/arnold2010.html

Comment

Originally posted by Old Navy View Post
                  These results are from the Arnold site. She looked at other sites that showed results and they were all similar, Top Five named in order and the rest DID NOT PLACE. As a competitor yourself, you understand how important it is to know where you place in a competition. How else can you learn from your experience and make improvements if you don't have that kind of feedback? I know I wouldn't spend hundreds of dollars and months of training only to find out I DID NOT PLACE.
                  Its been over a week...thats plenty of time to get results finished, right?
                  WoW I hope she doesnt quit.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Navy View Post
                    Scott, I've judged more than a dozen shows, some larger than others. I always take notes about every competitor. I jot down things I see, good and bad, during the individual posing routine and the figure t-walk. I listen to the announcer when each competitor is named and I write down their first name next to their number. I make it a point to have constructive information about every competitor. You should see the surprised look on a face when I say,"Hi, Sue, you looked great. You were holding a little water, but your definition and symmetry were excellent. You might try a little more work on your calves."

I do this as a judge because I have competed in more than 30 shows and I know what the athletes want and expect from their contest. They want to know how they did and how they can improve next time. I talk to first place winners and last place finishers with the same intensity and passion.

I know judging isn't easy. We have about five minutes to place a class in pre-judging. Most of the time, there are 10 to 15 figure ladies and we place everyone by number, no matter how many we have. It's only fair. Same thing for the bodybuilders. If we have 15 middleweights, number one will know his placement as will number 15. It's only fair.

The person who finished last probably worked just as hard and spent just as much time and money prepping as the person who placed first. They have a right to know and the judges have an obligation to do what's right. It's only fair.
                    If all judges were like you and judge the physiques and not the name.
                    More competitors would make improvements.
                    When I was in the npc...I only went to certain judges cause I knew they would tell me the truth and not blow smoke up my bootie.
                    We all work hard and shouldnt allow places to define us.
                    I tell my track runners all the time, winning is not everything as long as you ran your BEST i am happy...

Comment

I have been competing nationally since 2007. There are always at least 200 to 300 figure competitors at each show; most of the time more. I always wait it out until the end of the finals and go to speak to at least one judge, to get my placing and feedback. I know its a long road to these shows, but after all the hard work, time, energy and money you have spent preparing; the last thing you should do is make the effort to talk to a judge in person. You owe it to yourself to know what their looking for and what changes you should make for the next show. They do take notes on each competitor, I have seen it with my own eyes. Unfortunately, as great as all of the bodybuilding websites are, they do not always get the final score sheets immediately following a show. If you can't get to talk to a judge after a show, I would suggest you contact your local NPC District Chairperson. They should be able to help you get in contact with one of the judges, and get feedback. Check the link below.

http://www.npcnewsonline.com/new/npcchairpeople.htm
                      www.laticiaharrell.com

Comment

Listen, figure and bikini, especially at the amatuerr level is BIG!!!! You have 30-40 girls in a class and unless they start holding the shows on thurs and friday then you can't place everyone, that's just the way it is. If you place out of the top 15 at the USA, guess what, you're 16th place. The guy that places 16th trains just as hard as the guy that places 1st. Think about this and not trying to sound like a dick, but the girls that place out of the top 10 are usually in bad shape and the difference between 14th and 15th is a matter of opinion.
                        SMOKE WEED EVERYDAY
                        2016 NBA Champs...Cleveland Cavs

Comment

Originally posted by Ms. Lora View Post
                          As a competitor I truly do understand her frustrations.
                          With the amount of time and effor tput in to contest prep, everyone should be judged.

Here is a link to another site that lists placings beyond 5th, but I'm not sure how accurate they are. Scroll down to the end with the masters categories: http://www.hardfitness.com/arnold2010.html

Thanks, Ms. Lora. The site still only listed the Top Five, or in some cases, the Top Ten. It still leaves the vast majority of men and women athletes with the tag, DID NOT PLACE.
                          Scott "Old Navy" Hults
                          Master Pro Bodybuilder

Comment

Originally posted by bigmikecox View Post
                            Listen, figure and bikini, especially at the amatuerr level is BIG!!!! You have 30-40 girls in a class and unless they start holding the shows on thurs and friday then you can't place everyone, that's just the way it is. If you place out of the top 15 at the USA, guess what, you're 16th place. The guy that places 16th trains just as hard as the guy that places 1st. Think about this and not trying to sound like a dick, but the girls that place out of the top 10 are usually in bad shape and the difference between 14th and 15th is a matter of opinion.
                            BigMikeCox.

We are not talking about competitor number 14 or 15. We are talking about competitor number, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22 and 23 and that's just one class. The girls that place out of the Top Five are not out of shape, even though the judges might want you and the athletes to believe they are.

I have received a number of Private Messages from athletes who don't want to be identified in this Forum who agree this is unacceptable. One suggested I talk with Mike Davies of the Arnold about this situation.

Here is my response:

"Thanks for your message. Mike Davies knows exactly what went on at the Arnold. The DID NOT PLACE tag was given to every amateur athlete who didn't place in the Top Five for most competitions and the Top 10 for some of the figure competitions. It just doesn't seem possible that none of the DID NOT PLACE athletes weren't good enough to be in the Top Five.

The Arnold is a big enough show that they should have a computer software model that records the scores of all of the judges, throws out the high and the low and determines the place for every athlete who competes. They have the money to do it, they just don't care enough to. They feel they will get a new bunch of athletes next year who won't know about the scoring who pour their money into the Arnold coffers who will gladly take the money with no regard for the athletes.

I have competed in 30 shows, including five Pro Shows, and have never seen this kind of blatant disregard for the contestants, who just want to know how they did in their competition. Is that too much to ask?"

Old Navy
                            Scott "Old Navy" Hults
                            Master Pro Bodybuilder

Comment

Sorry about the duplicate post.
                              Scott "Old Navy" Hults
                              Master Pro Bodybuilder

Comment

Working...
                              X