• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ED NUNN wins Europa Battle of Champions! Finals report by Ron Harris

Hartford Pro Finals
    Report by Ron Harris

202 Division: A New Englander triumphs in Connecticut

Last night’s judging had a lot of people arguing about whether Jose Raymond would be able to pull off back to back wins in Tampa and here in Hartford, considering he was up against one of the most feared men in the 202 division, former 202 Mr. Olympia David Henry. This was really supposed to be a warm-up for Dave on the way to the big show in Las Vegas. He had taken nearly a year off to make improvements, and that he did. Dave’s upper body was freaky thick and full, and without Kevin English or Eduardo Correa here in Hartford, the win should have been a foregone conclusion.

But Dave didn’t expect to run up against The Boston Mass, Jose Raymond. Though Jose does suffer in comparison to Dave when it comes to the chest and back, Jose’s legs totally overpowered Dave’s, his condition was superior, and his presentation was much more polished and professional. Considering how much longer Henry has been a pro and how many shows he’s done, it’s odd that he still seems a bit awkward on stage. To be fair, it was a close call and I bet the score sheets will show that the two were separated by a scant few points.

So now the question is, will Dave sharpen up in the next nine weeks and be the one pushing Kevin English for the world title, or has Jose moved past him? The wonderful thing about the 202 division is that any of the top men on any given day can win if he shows up 100% on the money. It should be an exciting show in Las Vegas in September, and now Jose has definitely established himself as a legitimate threat for the 202 Mr. Olympia title.

Open men: Ed is second to Nunn

Ed Nunn’s height and width were too much for the other guys to handle this weekend, and tonight the 2008 NPC Nationals Overall Champion walked away with his first pro win and an invite to the Mr. Olympia. It was actually a heck of a week for Ed, as he also just became a grandfather! What put Ed over the top was his overall shape, tiny waist, and excellent wheels in a field where great legs were the exception rather than the rule.

The runner-up was Troy Alves, who ironically enough actually grew up in Connecticut before moving to Arizona. Troy was in the shape of his life. For years, he never could get his glutes and hams dialed in and striated, but this time he was hard as nails anywhere you looked. With his amazing shape and proportions, it was great to see the 43-year-old veteran pro do so well up against a few mass monsters.

Ben ‘Showstoppa’ White won the Tampa show a week ago, but tonight he had to settle for third place. By himself, Ben looks unbeatable. Put him next to the taller and wider Nunn, and he wasn’t quite as impressive. Ben deserves props for nailing his condition and for being much improved over his earlier pro shows. And with two qualifications to the Mr. Olympia in two weeks, he should be making plans now to be in Las Vegas to stand on that ultimate stage.

Fourth place went to Australia’s Mike Kefalianos, who many in the audience seemed to think should have finished higher. Mike did have plenty of size and was in spectacular condition. All that really holds him back is that his compact frame makes him appear on the blocky side.

In fifth place was the biggest man in the contest, ex-Navy Chief Petty Officer Leo Ingram. Leo was massive, with crazy fullness all over. The ‘wow factor’ reminded me a little bit of Ronnie Coleman. If Leo had a tiny midsection like Ed Nunn, I could have seen him winning. Still an excellent showing for Leo.

That’s a wrap from Hartford. Congratulations to all the winners and finalists!

For stage videos, pics and commentary from Branch Warren and Evan Centopani
    check out the Europa finals play-by-play

just something about nunn's physique that just doesnt look right to me . his waist is so small that i dunno, he just doesnt look powerful like other bodybuilders, looks kind of weird. dont get me wrong, huge legs, arms, ripped. just looks so strange to me, almost like you took a massive upper body and massive lower body and put a childs midsection between them which you think as far as bodybuilding would be a good thing but not so much. just my opinion, wtf do i know though right, anyway congrats to Ed, obviously worked hard and it paid off, i dont particularly like the result but im sure a lot of other people do, looks like it was one hell of a show! cheers!

Comment

Maybe we have been getting to used to and psychologically conditioned to large, blocky and bloated mid sections (except for a couple pros maybe) that when an abnormally tiny waist for such a big man is seen (possible never again) we are all a bit taken back like huh?!

Ed's waist is even tiny for a big man compared to Tony Freeman and that's saying something. Ed Nunn may be considered long in the tooth for a bodybuilder already or past his prime even but we do not know his genetic code. He still may get better at 40+ and that's a bit scary!
      Humapro - Protein for Humans - alrindustries.com

Comment

Mike has an extremely shallow chest in that shot!

Comment

I dont Buy the Dave Henry Warm up bs! Jose is on the rise and is a major threat for the 202 Olympia title!

Comment

Originally posted by NaturalFreak View Post
            just something about nunn's physique that just doesnt look right to me . his waist is so small that i dunno, he just doesnt look powerful like other bodybuilders, looks kind of weird. dont get me wrong, huge legs, arms, ripped. just looks so strange to me, almost like you took a massive upper body and massive lower body and put a childs midsection between them which you think as far as bodybuilding would be a good thing but not so much. just my opinion, wtf do i know though right, anyway congrats to Ed, obviously worked hard and it paid off, i dont particularly like the result but im sure a lot of other people do, looks like it was one hell of a show! cheers!

Agree. Not a fan of Nunn's physique. His waist is small be he has no obliques at all, which looks strange. I think its bullshit they didnt give it to Troy.

Comment

Yeeaaaah Jose!!! Much deserved.
              So happy for Ed, guys got a wicked physique. One of my favorite in bodybuilding.
              Congrats boys! Pizza and cheesecake on me after the Olympia!

PakMan

Also,
              Just a quick note to check out my "Pak it On" challenge. A six week transformation challenge where I choose the 6 most deserving men, and kick start there fitness and bodybuilding with a 6 week training and nutrition program, absolutely free!!!
              Check out www.6pakscience.com for details and to apply!

Comment

Originally posted by mayor of bodybuilding View Post
                I dont Buy the Dave Henry Warm up bs! Jose is on the rise and is a major threat for the 202 Olympia title!

Mayor, I have to be respectful. Dave has an excellent physique and if he had been as tight in the glutes and hams as I have seen him in the past, it probably would have gone his way.

Obviously I am a good friend of Jose's and love to see him do well, but I feel the need tio recognize that Henry looked incredible. Had he won instead of Jose, there would have been little argument. They are both elite competitors and it was a hell of a battle.
                Muscular Development Online Editor
                FB: Ron Harris IG: RonHarrisMuscle Author "EvilX10: 10 Tales of Extreme Darkness"

Comment

how in the fuk Leo placed 5TH?????????????

Comment

Originally posted by manfreakca View Post
                    how in the fuk Leo placed 5TH?????????????
                    Huge baloon gut is my argument.

Comment

Mike got robbed again...

Comment

Working...
                      X