Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

EXCLUSIVE! Lee Haney Fireside Chat with Shawn Ray at his Home in GA: Road to 1982 Nationals!!!

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EXCLUSIVE! Lee Haney Fireside Chat with Shawn Ray at his Home in GA: Road to 1982 Nationals!!!

Shawn Ray had the remarkable opportunity to interview one of the most prestigious icons in bodybuilding history - Lee Haney. Lee was the first NPC Nationals Overall winner and then went on to compete on the Mr Olympia stage the following year. He placed third in 1983 and in 1984 he won the Mr Olympia and went on to hold that title for 8 consecutive times.

Lee Haney struggled to become a professional bodybuilder while working two part time jobs as well as balancing college and a girlfriend. However, in addition to trying to achieve his bodybuilding goals Lee always had an eye out on how to improve himself and those around him and that is what makes him one of our most recognizable and idolized icons in the bodybuilding industry.

Started BB'ing in '83 after meeting the '82 light-heavy winner Moses Maldonado. Back then, each weight class had to compete at the World Team Championships. I was at his first O in '84... NYC Madison Square Garden's Felt Forum. As soon as he walked out during pre-judging, it was over! No one matched the symmetry, size , and condition he had back then. Also remember the myth coming out of retirement that night. Also Lou Ferrigno was in attendance. He got up to the podium saying he was going to enter the following yrs. O...never happened. Samir was upset, got no respect. Mike Christian went up on stage took his shirt off and started hitting a bunch of poses. I think he had just taken the '83 nationals. Not sure.

In that era symmetry was the thing, not like today, where crazy mass monsters are rewarded. It's gone downhill. Also the posing routines were great back then.
    IFBB PRO- ​Darkwire.. from ICELAND..lmaooo

Comment

Started BB'ing in '83 after meeting the '82 light-heavy winner Moses Maldonado. Back then, each weight class had to compete at the World Team Championships. I was at his first O in '84... NYC Madison Square Garden's Felt Forum. As soon as he walked out during pre-judging, it was over! No one matched the symmetry, size , and condition he had back then. Also remember the myth coming out of retirement that night. Also Lou Ferrigno was in attendance. He got up to the podium saying he was going to enter the following yrs. O...never happened. Samir was upset, got no respect. Mike Christian went up on stage took his shirt off and started hitting a bunch of poses. I think he had just taken the '83 nationals. Not sure.

Can you please specifiy?
      Those years looked so great. Wish I was here!

Comment

TotaLEE awesome!!!!!

This needs to be here too:

Comment

Samir got like 4th or 5th that night, don't matter. Lee Haney was a differnt animal altogether. Bertil fox probably shoulda beat Samir at the previous O. Samir shoulda beat dickerson the year before. Haney's total package made everyone else step up their game and they'd all just chase him for another 7 yrs. Once again, once Lee showed up it didnt matter, guy was pure bodybuilding. Best Mr. O ever. Only huge guy around with beautiful aestheics, not been too many since.

Comment

Originally posted by greuc View Post
            TotaLEE awesome!!!!!

This needs to be here too:

Lee sums it up at 4.10, "when it comes to doctors everyone has an opinion, but when it comes to the physique Lee Haney is NUMBE ONE". Welcome to the best bodybuilding magazine on the planet Lee.

Comment

Lee Haney too about 15 minutes to talk to me after the 1990 Jan Tana after i placed 5th in the teen A class. Will NEVER forget that. One of the nicest men i have ever met!
              SMOKE WEED EVERYDAY
              2016 NBA Champs...Cleveland Cavs

Comment

awesome!

Comment

this is great
                  http://www.trueprotein.com/
                  5% off code: JSM111

Comment

UP the HANEY
                    Those who persist prevail

Comment

total class. just great.

Comment

lee,dorian,and jay here. all we need is ronnie for best olympians ever

Comment

Watching now!

Comment

Excellent interview.

Comment

Total Lee Awsome! Lee haney is the greatest Mr Olympia and A first Class Person! I love the Fact That He remains Positive towards The pros today!

Comment

Working...
                              X