This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by roeperson View Post
    Pete congrats on all the success Ill see you and Flexes short asses at the Arnold lol have an awesome day and keep it up Roe
    Haha funny! You got it bro! Hope ur well.
    Instagram @peterputnam Team Mountain Dog

Comment

You looked good, overall more thickness.

You always handle yourself like a proffesional despite catching tons of heat from jealous people because you had a few contracts!
      yh
      I was just wondering, is your back just really stubborn or do you feel that you neglected it some when you were younger so it is behind the rest of your physique? Whats the plan to bring it up? I think it would be interesting to hear from a top tier IFBB guy what there game plan is to bring up a lagging part

By the way, I dont mean this in a negative way because your back is better than 99.99 percent of people out there!

Comment

Originally posted by dmm3218 View Post
        You looked good, overall more thickness.

You always handle yourself like a proffesional despite catching tons of heat from jealous people because you had a few contracts!
        yh
        I was just wondering, is your back just really stubborn or do you feel that you neglected it some when you were younger so it is behind the rest of your physique? Whats the plan to bring it up? I think it would be interesting to hear from a top tier IFBB guy what there game plan is to bring up a lagging part

By the way, I dont mean this in a negative way because your back is better than 99.99 percent of people out there!
        Hey man. It's no problem and I appreciate your question. To be honest I think it's about 60/40. I got into bodybuilding by way of training for football. The lifts we focused on were flat bench, declines, barely inclines, occasional military presses, squats, and dips. Honestly our football workouts were geared towards conditioning with a lot running and agility. I was always lean and strong from wrestling, running track, football... but always being involved in sports didn't allow for consistency in the weight room. And when we did train it was chest and abs. Lucky for me my legs were always a strong point and when I first started bodybuilding they really jumped in gains quickly. Again, I was naturally muscular, lean, and porportionate but weight training was never done year round. It wasn't until I was 21 that I began to regular commit myself to weight training as I was preparing for football spring practice at UTC. Even then I was still doing more typical lifts and conditioning by way of running drills, etc. Once I found myself looking at the pages of bodybuilding magazine and seeing images of Dorian Yates everything about weight lifting changed.

To the point, I was very green and learning by trail and error on my own. I wasn't under any guidance but still managed early success in local level shows. Mind you, I wasn't seldom dead lifting or rowing. I didn't really get the importance of back having no one around to emulate or direct me. I later spent some time under the tuledge of a former bodybuilder and trainer who for two years only allowed me to do pull downs as he said I wasn't ready for other back movements as he was compartmentalizing my training and very controling over my training. He saw the potential in me and I just was naive and so green I went along with it. I have often said if I had been under the guidance of someone like Aceto, Neil Hill for example I could have been much further ahead at a younger age. I eventually went rogue and starting training back more and arms the bodyparts that the former trainer neglected with me. For example, his theory on arms were that at my young age they were working enough as secondary muscles in exercises and that in time as I became more developed then we would begin prioritizing them. Interesting how quickly my arms began to improve/grow along with even my back marginally. I used to sneak into the gyms on Saturdays when he wasn't training other clients so I could train arms more! lol

Long story short, I've just now been getting truly solid back workouts in over the past few years. I haven't truly exhausted all training protocols. And trust me, I've very progressive and consider myself a pretty intuitive. I'm always educating myself and looking for new techinques. I've had Charles Glass take me through workouts, trained with Jay, etc.. One thing that Charles said which has been something I now consider to be the crux of my training is that you have to find the movements that work for you and not train like someone else. For a time I was copying Dorian's back routines, Coleman's, Jay's... but my structure is different. You can take something from everyone and experiement, I think that is good. But the reality is that everyone is different and there are so many variables. Recovery threshhold, nutrition, specific isolation, etc..

One thing I think that had a positive impact in short time frame was "top end deads" that I did through my prep for the Sac. I really felt them well and can't wait to blast it heavier during this off-season for growth. It takes the hips and glutes out of the movement. Charles and many other former top guys have looked at me and said that it's just really an issue of added thickness to bring out more detail sense I'm not lacking in muscle groups back there. That's a plus as some guys are missing things, like no lower back, etc.. I get it's a matter of time and figuring out what works. Again, I think I began neglecting it so I'll be playing catch up. If you look at my rear lat spread you see it ain't that bad. I believe the blue print is there I just have to map it out. I may spend more time training under some guidance this off-season.

During the holidays I will be talking shop with a few people and looking into protocols such as "giant sets" and even German High Volume training for the rear. I'll definitely be keep the "top end deads" in and looking at adding those extra calories in on back day.
        Last edited by pumpputnam; November 17th, 2010, 10:04 PM. Reason: Can't add image

Comment

Originally posted by pumpputnam View Post
          Hey man. It's no problem and I appreciate your question. To be honest I think it's about 60/40. I got into bodybuilding by way of training for football. The lifts we focused on were flat bench, declines, barely inclines, occasional military presses, squats, and dips. Honestly our football workouts were geared towards conditioning with a lot running and agility. I was always lean and strong from wrestling, running track, football... but always being involved in sports didn't allow for consistency in the weight room. And when we did train it was chest and abs. Lucky for me my legs were always a strong point and when I first started bodybuilding they really jumped in gains quickly. Again, I was naturally muscular, lean, and porportionate but weight training was never done year round. It wasn't until I was 21 that I began to regular commit myself to weight training as I was preparing for football spring practice at UTC. Even then I was still doing more typical lifts and conditioning by way of running drills, etc. Once I found myself looking at the pages of bodybuilding magazine and seeing images of Dorian Yates everything about weight lifting changed.

To the point, I was very green and learning by trail and error on my own. I wasn't under any guidance but still managed early success in local level shows. Mind you, I wasn't seldom dead lifting or rowing. I didn't really get the importance of back having no one around to emulate or direct me. I later spent some time under the tuledge of a former bodybuilder and trainer who for two years only allowed me to do pull downs as he said I wasn't ready for other back movements as he was compartmentalizing my training and very controling over my training. He saw the potential in me and I just was naive and so green I went along with it. I have often said if I had been under the guidance of someone like Aceto, Neil Hill for example I could have been much further ahead at a younger age. I eventually went rogue and starting training back more and arms the bodyparts that the former trainer neglected with me. For example, his theory on arms were that at my young age they were working enough as secondary muscles in exercises and that in time as I became more developed then we would begin prioritizing them. Interesting how quickly my arms began to improve/grow along with even my back marginally. I used to sneak into the gyms on Saturdays when he wasn't training other clients so I could train arms more! lol

Long story short, I've just now been getting truly solid back workouts in over the past few years. I haven't truly exhausted all training protocols. And trust me, I've very progressive and consider myself a pretty intuitive. I'm always educating myself and looking for new techinques. I've had Charles Glass take me through workouts, trained with Jay, etc.. One thing that Charles said which has been something I now consider to be the crux of my training is that you have to find the movements that work for you and not train like someone else. For a time I was copying Dorian's back routines, Coleman's, Jay's... but my structure is different. You can take something from everyone and experiement, I think that is good. But the reality is that everyone is different and there are so many variables. Recovery threshhold, nutrition, specific isolation, etc..

One thing I think that had a positive impact in short time frame was "top end deads" that I did through my prep for the Sac. I really felt them well and can't wait to blast it heavier during this off-season for growth. It takes the hips and glutes out of the movement. Charles and many other former top guys have looked at me and said that it's just really an issue of added thickness to bring out more detail sense I'm not lacking in muscle groups back there. That's a plus as some guys are missing things, like no lower back, etc.. I get it's a matter of time and figuring out what works. Again, I think I began neglecting it so I'll be playing catch up. If you look at my rear lat spread you see it ain't that bad. I believe the blue print is there I just have to map it out. I may spend more time training under some guidance this off-season.

During the holidays I will be talking shop with a few people and looking into protocols such as "giant sets" and even German High Volume training for the rear. I'll definitely be keep the "top end deads" in and looking at adding those extra calories in on back day.

Excellent info, thanks bro. I neglected training arms for years too because I learned to train from football players in Buffalo. I worked out for a while with a few of my brothers god gifted friends. They were tremendous D1 athletes and had very complete physiques without complete workouts! Im 27 now and still learning new things every day. I recently started cycling my training. I live on long island and a friend of mine worked with Kevin English. I have transformed my body within the last two years.

You really do need to find what works for you. I am 27 now and constantly doing unorthodox things and training intuitively. I guess learning ones body comes with time. I dont compete but I have transformed my physique in the last few years. I think once you build a base it helps as well as you dont have to focus on getting bigger and bigger any more and it lets you add some higher rep training into your routine

Congrats on your show and I hope you win a few next year

Comment

I think once you build a base it helps as well as you dont have to focus on getting bigger and bigger any more and it lets you add some higher rep training into your routine

Congrats on your show and I hope you win a few next year
            That's correct. Once you have a base and or some strong bodyparts development you can then focus more on the lagging ones. Appreciate it and as long as I continue to improve hopefully I will be able to be in the mix fighting it out.

Comment

That's correct. Once you have a base and or some strong bodyparts development you can then focus more on the lagging ones. Appreciate it and as long as I continue to improve hopefully I will be able to be in the mix fighting it out.

You definately have good genetics. The guys like English, Raymond, Correa are so thick head to toe. It almost seems like to compete one must be able to suck down to 202 and then fill up and hit the stage at 215!

Comment

You definately have good genetics. The guys like English, Raymond, Correa are so thick head to toe. It almost seems like to compete one must be able to suck down to 202 and then fill up and hit the stage at 215!
                Thanks man. I'm really motivated to work smart and hard this off-season. Yeah, they're some thick dudes alright. All good guys to boot!

Comment

Originally posted by Jnova7723 View Post
                  Peter is a great guy...a fellow dog lover and obviously a very Godly guy...who happens to be married to the hottest chick in the game.
                  It's funny to me how someone being a Christian earns them such potent points with some people.
                  "im not gay but i dont mind looking at a sexy dude" --Pdon

Comment

I may have missed it, but why do you to the cooking,?

Comment

Originally posted by Fat_Body View Post
                      I may have missed it, but why do you to the cooking,?
                      When I first got into bodybuilding I didn't have any support. Even my own mother would say I don't care if you want to bodybuild but I'm not gonna buy your food or help you prepare it- that was her way of not saying she didn't want me bodybuilding. I had no choice but to prepare my food, even more so once I was out of the house. I've never been dependent on anyone, let alone a girl to prepare my meals. If I wanted to have food I had to do it! Jess does occasionally make some dishes but the majority of the cooking is done by me. I know how I like things and I like things done my way! LOL

To answer your other quesion above... it's simply someone relating to and or sharing a common faith. Nothing wrong with that. Thanks for posting up!

Comment

When I first got into bodybuilding I didn't have any support. Even my own mother would say I don't care if you want to bodybuild but I'm not gonna buy your food or help you prepare it- that was her way of not saying she didn't want me bodybuilding. I had no choice but to prepare my food, even more so once I was out of the house. I've never been dependent on anyone, let alone a girl to prepare my meals. If I wanted to have food I had to do it! Jess does occasionally make some dishes but the majority of the cooking is done by me. I know how I like things and I like things done my way! LOL

To answer your other quesion above... it's simply someone relating to and or sharing a common faith. Nothing wrong with that. Thanks for posting up!
                        1.) I guess I took away you cooked for yourself and your wife (meaning she doesn't cook @all).

2.) I feel you on cooking the way you like/wanted it done right. One of the girls I see said she would cook for me, but I never ask her. I then realized it was true and told her it's better I cook because if she messed it up I would be pissed!

3.) Your point is well taken regarding sharing a common faith--I'm dieting and can PMS later @night.

Thanks for your response, bro.

Comment

Working...
                        X