Clear All

• 45th Annual Mr. Olympia Weekend !!!

45th Annual Mr. Olympia Weekend

Las Vegas, Nevada September 24th & 25th, 2010
    at the
    Orleans Arena

by
    Shawn Ray

The Joe Weider, Mr. Olympia Contest began in 1965 with the first champion ever from the state of Utah, Larry Scott who was known for his rugged good looks and massive 20 inch Biceps! A year later, Mr. Scott would replicate the previous years efforts with another victory and go into the annuals of Sandow Trophy lore as one of the first of 12 Mr. Olympia Winners in the sports 44 year run leaving this, the 45th year wide open for 1 of approximately 20 plus competitors vying to join the sports
    "Elite 12!"

In 1967 The Myth, Segio Oliva would capture the title and hold steadfast to it for the next three consecutive years to close out the decade that was the 60's. This Cuban Bodybuilder showed the world the meaning of word, "Width!" Segio was one of the widest guys onstage for his time from shoulder to shoulder with one of the smallest waistlines the sport has ever seen.

Nothing lasts forever and while Sergio was a dominating force for his time, sadly he would be there to witness the arrival of the Austrian Oak, Arnold Schwarzenegger onto the Pro Scene by way of Graz, Austria. The young version of Arnold took hold of the Sandow Trophy in 1970 defeating one of the most imposing figures of our time and would not relinquish the title for the next 5 years straight to 1975 before going into the Movies and becoming, "Hollywood" as an Actor.

While Arnold stepped aside to pursue his Acting career and begin his Real estate ventures, his diminutive training partner, Dr. Franco Columbo from a tiny place called, Sardinia, Italy would fill the bill nicely as Mr. Olympia in 1976.

In the year 1977 "The Chemist," Frank Zane out of Palm Springs, California would usher in a new type of Mr. Olympia physique the world had not yet seen, weighing all of 190lbs, Frank was the first to usher in adjectives like; Shape, Symmetry, Balance and Class worthy of an Olympia Champion. he would dominate an increasingly competitve field for the next two years leaving him with 3 Sandow Trophies to his credit.

1980 was a pivital year for Bodybuilding and the great Arnold Schwarzenegger knew it and seize the moment! He would travel to Sydney, Australia and pull off a surprise victory in the midst of training for his Blockbuster Movie, Conan The Barbarian. While he wasn't the Arnold of old, he had just the right amount of everything to whip up a hornets nest of emotions and steal his 7th and final Sandow Trophy from some feisty competitors who were none too happy about his surprise late entry into the fray!

1981 was a comeback of sorts too and of course, if it is good enough for Arnold then it is good enough for his training partner and best friend, Dr. Franco Columbo who had been sidelined since winning the title in 76' with a major knee injury but he was strong enough to get back in the mix and swipe the title and the trophy for his second and final Mr. Olympia!

1982 we saw what was at the time, the sports Oldest Contest winner in the form of Chris Dickerson. Topping the scale at 189lbs, Chris won this contest when many guys would have thrown in the towel. At the ripe old age of 42, the Sandow Trophy never looked so good to the sports first ever Black Mr. America Winner. Chris, born a "Triplet" was an established Operatic Singer who found his calling on the Bodybuilding stage.

In 1983 we heard and saw the Roar of the Lion of Lebonon, Samir Bannout!
    Samir came in hard and dry and would be the last of the 5'6 and 200lbs Mr. Olympia Winner's we would see for the next 25 years!

1984 from South Carolina the Totalee Awesome, Lee Haney would take from Samir what he thought was his for the keeping and run with the Sandow Trophy for a record 8 consecutive years before retiring at the ripe old age of 31! Coming in at what was considered at the time a whopping 250lbs on the Olympia stage which had never been done before by a previous winner of the contest while standing at nearly 6ft, Lee was the sports dominating figure onstage bar none!

1992 the landscape of Professional Bodybuilding would be changed for good with the emergence of King Dorian Yates from England. Dorian would pick up where Lee Haney left off standing nearly 6ft and tipping the scales at nearly 245lb! Dorian would push the envelope ultimately competing at 260lbs plus and later winning another five consecutive Mr. Olympia Titles before retiring due to injuries.

1998 would be the 1st year we would not have a Defending Mr. Olympia Champion in more than a decade! The contest was wide open for about six of the world's best bodybuilders to lay claim to the Olympia Throne but incredibly none of the pre contest favorites would ascend to the top instead, a Beast from Texas in the form of Ronnie Coleman would climb the mountain of future Hall of Fame Bodybuilders to deprive them all of a Sandow Trophy for another 8 consecutive years! Ronnie ushered in the biggest Mr. Olympia in the sports history topping the scale at over 270lbs at the height of 5'10 before losing the title in 2006 finishing in second place and the following year down to 4th place before exiting Mr. Olympia competition for good in 2007.

The Biggest Upset victory in Mr. Olympia History had to be the defeat of Ronnie Coleman at the hands of the new champion, Jay Cutler! At 5'9 260lbs, Jay brought in just enough of the right stuff after finishing four consecutive years as the 1st Runner up in Olympia competition! Jay would repeat as the champion in 2007 before getting regulated again to the 1st Runner up in 2008.

2008, Dexter "The Blade" Jackson returned the Mr. Olympia title to the 5'7 220lb Bodybuilder for the first time since 1983 when Samir Bannout won the title. Dexter came in ripped and hard which ultimately proved too much for Jay Cutler who missed his peak and chance at the Three Peat! In 2009, Dexter would tumble down to 4th place once again becoming the "Challenger" before his career comes to an end.

2009 Jay Cutler would leave no wiggle room for Dexter and company vying for the Olympia title as he redefined his physique by streamlining his waist line, placing more emphasis on detail and condition than size which enabled him to recapture the Sandow Trophy for the third time joining the likes of Sergio and Zane as the only 3 Time Champions!

2010 will be a day of Reckoning for the defending champion, Jay Cutler, a Wake up call for Victor Martinez, a coming out Party for Phil Heath, a Celebration for Kai Greene and a day of Vengeance for Branch Warren but who will find favor in the eye's of the Sandow Trophy and join the Joe Weider legacy as the World's best Built Man?
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Adina Zanolli; August 27th, 2010, 02:32 PM. Reason: spacing, pics

Well written. I am definitely looking forward to the show! Might actually go who knows. Hey you still got the lambo?
    You can't Claim a Destiny that's not Meant to be Yours...

Comment

Hey you still got the lambo?
      Yea with a baby seat in it! J/k.
      Had to dump it before it ruined the marriage!

Stay tuned to Q & A's with former Olympia greats like:

Lee Labrada
      Kevin Levrone
      Flex Wheeler
      Frank Zane
      Dorian Yates
      Lee Haney
      and more.........!

Comment

Guess I am being ridiculous, but isn't this the 46th Olympia? There have already been 45:

1965-66: Larry Scott 2
        1967-69: Sergio Oliva 3
        1970-75 and 1980: Arnold Schwarzenegger 7
        1976 and 1981: Franco Columbu 2
        1977-79: Frank Zane 3
        1982: Chris Dickerson 1
        1983: Samir Bannout 1
        1984-91: Lee Haney 8
        1992-97: Dorian Yates 6
        1998-2005: Ronnie Coleman 8
        2006-7 and 2009: Jay Cutler 3
        2008: Dexter Jackson 1

So there have been 45 past winners.

Comment

Can't wait!!!
          "A girl should be two things: classy and fabulous." - Coco Chanel

Comment

Originally posted by GerryT View Post
            Guess I am being ridiculous, but isn't this the 46th Olympia? There have already been 45:

1965-66: Larry Scott 2
            1967-69: Sergio Oliva 3
            1970-75 and 1980: Arnold Schwarzenegger 7
            1976 and 1981: Franco Columbu 2
            1977-79: Frank Zane 3
            1982: Chris Dickerson 1
            1983: Samir Bannout 1
            1984-91: Lee Haney 8
            1992-97: Dorian Yates 6
            1998-2005: Ronnie Coleman 8
            2006-7 and 2009: Jay Cutler 3
            2008: Dexter Jackson 1

So there have been 45 past winners.
            Guess Shawn suffered from amnesia.

Comment

Great review!

Comment

Ok, stay with me here:

Sept. 1965 was the 1st year of the Mr. Olympia. (Year one- 1st champion.) Larry Scott.
                44 yrs later,( wont be 45 years until the contest arrives and is over) we arrive at the 45th Mr. Olympia once the winner is crowned and in the record books!

Example: I was born in Sept of 1965 when the 1st Mr. Olympia Contest was held.

I'll be 45 this Sept 2010 not 46.

However, the Mr. Olympia Contest and the Winner will be turning 45 this year!

Hope this helps!

Comment

Originally posted by Shawn Ray View Post
                  Ok, stay with me here:

Sept. 1965 was the 1st year of the Mr. Olympia. (Year one- 1st champion.) Larry Scott.
                  44 yrs later,( wont be 45 years until the contest arrives and is over) we arrive at the 45th Mr. Olympia once the winner is crowned and in the record books!

Example: I was born in Sept of 1965 when the 1st Mr. Olympia Contest was held.

I'll be 45 this Sept 2010 not 46.

However, the Mr. Olympia Contest and the Winner will be turning 45 this year!

Hope this helps!
                  Hey Shawn Lay out your top ten!

Comment

Hey Shawn Lay out your top ten!
                    Olympians?

Lee Haney

Arnold

Frank Zane

Sergio

Ronnie

Samir

Jay

Dickerson

Dexter

Dorian

Last edited by Adina Zanolli; August 28th, 2010, 10:44 AM.

Comment

Lee Haney

Q) You are recognized as "The Greatest Bodybuilder of ALL Time" by virtue of your 8 Mr. Olympia titles, what does that mean to you?
                      A)
                      I’m humble to be recognized as such. I see myself as the product of bodybuilding history. I didn’t arrive at the destination alone. Every workout program, diet plan, supplement program, and posing presentation shared by the legends of our sport played a part in my success as an 8 time Mr. Olympia. I’m indebted to them all.

Q) When you came up in the sport, what was your Mr. Olympia Dream like before you realized it?
                      A) Mr. Olympia was a dream too large. My first dream was to be Mr. Teenage America which became a reality in 1979. It was at that time, I felt I had a chance to go to the next level. After all, several other Olympians won the Teenage America. As, I move closer to the professional ranks I recalled the excitement of being on stage with some of the athletes I had seen in the magazines. It was at the NPC Nationals that I realized, just maybe this kid from a little town name Spartanburg South Carolina, may have a chance at this sport.

When my hand was raised in victory at the Nationals, then at the IFBB World Championships a week later, I knew I was on the way.

As for the Olympia, It was then and still today a dream hard to phantom. I can only thank God. I still can’t wrap my mind around it.

Q) While realizing your dream you ruined many others, what do you have to say to some of the "Hall of Fame Bodybuilders" you kept at bay, squashing the same dream you had before winning?
                      A)
                      All of us are giving an appointed time in history. It’s amazing how that works. To be one out of millions is mind blowing. However, destination is given to each of us at its own choosing. It’s also sensitive to the passion and the desire of they that are in pursuit of it. At the age of 17 years old, I prayed: Lord if you see fit to make me the best at this sport that I love so much, I go before the world and give you all the praise and glory for it. Apparently, He saw something in the heart of that youngster. I feel that this is what I was called to do at this appointed time.

Q) In watching the evolution of the Mr. Olympia what noticeable changes have you seen since retiring at age 31 back in 1991?
                      A)
                      I’m happy to see the opportunities to make a better living in the sport is there. Then, of course the physiques are much larger.

This is the era of massive bodybuilders. I recalled competing in Italy at 257lb. That’s nothing compared to today’s athletes.

However, I don’t agree with the philosophy of mass without symmetry. I also miss seeing a well throughout posing routine that leaves the audience spell bound. Every now and then we get a choreographed routine with a few competitors.

Q) Looking back, what would you do differently during your time on the Olympia stage as a competitor or Champion?
                      A)
                      I wouldn’t change a thing. I wanted the world to see that our sport was relevant in transcending its benefits to society, just as other sports have. This is also why I share my family with the public as well as my 8 Mr. Olympia victories.

Q) What would you say to the Rookie Olympians competing for the first time?
                      A) Don’t allow your entire world to evolve solely around bodybuilding. Be sure to maintain balance in your life as an athlete. This is one of the first bits of advice Joe Weider gave me before I moved to California. I appreciated his words of wisdom and I still practice them today. Breathe and enjoy the journey. On the business side: Get a good accountant, Get your Corporation or LLC set up, invest in a home, don’t spend your money on bling bling. Careers as athletes are short lived. And by all means read the book of Proverbs (Bible).

Q) You were the 8th Mr. Olympia ever and walked off with 8 Mr. Olympia Titles, which one do you have the most vivid memory of winning and why?
                      A) The first and the last were both extremely memorable for me. The first because my search for the winning formula to compete at that level was still in question. After having the first victory under my belt, I felt I then had control. Then last was special because I had accomplished an historic goal. Lee Haney, a country boy from a small country town found a place in Bodybuilding history as 8 times Mr. Olympia. And he did it with his wife and two Children, Joshua and Olympia by his side.

Q) Tell me a Mr. Olympia story that sticks out in your mind.

A) I recall after placing 3rd in my first Mr. Olympia in Germany, as me and my wife Shirley sat quietly in an adjacent room near the after party, with our spirits low, Arnold walks in and says to me: “Lee, you did great. However, you must work on your posing presentation more. Afterwards, you’ll be Mr. Olympia.” He then, invited me to meet with his coach, who gave me some winning pointers. Needless to say, the next year and each year after that, I won the Olympia.

Q) Finish this sentence, "Walking off the Mr. olympia stage for the last time I..............?"
                      A) Felt relieved and wondered, what was next. What can I do more to continue a legacy and give back to the sport of Bodybuilding? It gives me great pleasure to introduce The International Association of Fitness Science a first in personal training certifications created by an Olympian Bodybuilding Champion. For so long the bodybuilding community have relied on certification programs created by organizations outside of our own community. However, the I.A.F.S. consists of years or knowledge handed down by Bodybuilding legends that help create our sport and Lee Haney. Who can better, share insight into the science of excise and nutrition. This is what we do and who we are. The I.A.F.S. will launch this fall for early sign up visit:

Thank you,

S RAY

Last edited by Adina Zanolli; August 28th, 2010, 11:51 PM.

Comment

Thanks, Shawn. Your explanation makes sense. Will not belabor the point. This is the 45th anniversary year, but a 46th Sandow will be won.

And this is a great thread, with good history here.

Comment

"who will find favor in the eye's of the Sandow Trophy and join the Joe Weider legacy as the World's best Built Man?"

LOL!

How can you find favor in the eyes of an inanimate object? In the eyes of the judges maybe but not a trophy.
                          "Gentlemen, we can rebuild him. We have the technology ... Better. Stronger. Faster."

Comment

Rich Gaspari

Q) Share with me your 1st Mr. Olympia experience?
                            A)
                            My first experience was unforgettable. I remember like it was yesterday. It was in 1985 in Belgium and I was only 22 years old after qualifying my placing second in the Night of the Champions. I had already become the new favorite going in.
                            I remember I was asked how does it feel and I was ecstatic knowing I was going into the best show of all shows.
                            That year Sergio Oliva was also in the show and I remember reading about him and seeing pictures of him against Arnold and now I'd be on the same stage as him and it was surreal.
                            The outcome was third place on my first try which also was a great experience.

Q) Being that you finished 1st Runner up (86, 87 & 88) what thoughts did you have in not being able to win before your career ended?
                            A)
                            At first I was very upset to the fact I won so many shows but I couldn't win the Mr. Olympia but later I realized the accomplishment of just being second so many years was big and not many people can say they could do that. Overall it made me better to always try harder in life.

Q) Whom did you draw the most inspiration from while desiring to be Mr. Olympia before you got there and why?
                            A)
                            Arnold was a great inspiration to me when I was young reading the Muscle Mags. He had such a positive attitude going into shows.
                            My father and older brother also was an inspiration because they believed in me and told me to never give up my dream.

Q) What can a "Rookie Olympian" look forward to when arriving at the Mr. Olympia this September?
                            A)
                            First off as a Rookie you're going into the biggest show in Bodybuilding so you should be proud of just being able to step on that stage.
                            The other thing is not to be intimidated by the other contestants you need to go into the show the best you can be and always go with a winning attitude. If you go into the show scared it shows on stage.
                            Confidence is a very important part of success.

Q) Share with us one of your most memorable experiences at the Mr. Olympia Contest?
                            A)
                            My most memorable experience was the first year I came second because it got down to me and Lee Haney and the tension you could cut with a knife. When it finally came down to my name called second I was upset but still happy to be able to accomplish the runner-up place.

Q) Is the Mr. Olympia still a special weekend for you regardless of not competing in it and why?
                            A)I will always be a bodybuilder at heart. My life has gone through many things and accomplishments but going to the Mr.Olympia weekend is still a special weekend because not only is it the best show in the World that I can watch, I go there as a businessman with my supplement line and show the new products for the consumer and get to talk to many customers I have from around the world, not to mention meet my loayl Fans and supporters.

Q) Finish this thought, "The Mr. Olympia journey is like......?"
                            A)
                            getting to the Super Bowl of bodybuilding! You are invited as the best bodybuilder going up against the best. To be able to accomplish this journey is big in and of itself. I was happy to be a part of our sports Crown Jewel!

Thank you,
                            S RAY

Last edited by Adina Zanolli; August 28th, 2010, 07:45 PM.

Comment

Great Interviews Shawn! I became a BB fan when Haney And Rich were on top and everyone on the east coast wanted to be Rich Gaspari!

Comment

Working...
                              X