Observations of the Mr. Olympia and 202

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Observations of the Mr. Olympia and 202

After watching the show there were a couple of things that impressed me.
    1) Looking at still photos does not tell the whole story sometimes. IMO, Jay looks horrible in most photos with the exception of last year's O. His wide waist and lack of detail just don't translate into great photos. But when you watch video of him, especially in the comparisons, you see how good his physique is. Just looking at still photos, I would put Jay 3rd, watching the telecast, 1st or 2nd.
    2) Kevin English is crazy big. He doesn't have the most detailed physique, but his structure is insane, with crazy wide shoulders, narrow waist, and huge quad sweep. I'd really like to see what he would look like if he competed around 235lbs in the open (seeing that he says he gets up to 290 in the offseason).
    3) Branch Warren has made a fan out of me. He made some nice improvements to his back (although its still not his best bodypart). The guy hasn't been off in years. Seems like a pretty good guy as well.
    4) I think the judges got the placing right for once! With the exception of flipping Jay and Phil for first because they are apples and oranges, I feel everyone placed right where they should have. Nobody got the shaft this year and that's pretty evident by the lack of threads complaining about peoples placing.
    Just my thoughts, feel free to agree or disagree.

I agree. I too had Phil picked but that's really only because I prefer his physique. I don't have a problem with Jay winning though. I totally agree with you on the point about the pictures of Jay not doing him justice. He looks much better in video's and especially when hitting the mandatories. That is why Jay wins. If he is in shape he is simply too big for anyone to touch in a comparison lineup and that is where the show is won.
    Today I will do what you will not, so that tomorrow I can do what you cannot.

Comment

last night when they announced jay as the winner again AT LEAST HALF the crowd including myself got up and headed out of the arena in disgust.

Comment

I think it should have been Phil 1st, Branch 2nd, Jay 3rd. Phil was best OVERALL, Branch was huge and had the best conditioning and a normal gut, Jay was big and conditioned but appeared flat to me. He didnt have that dense hard grainy look.

Comment

dude phil is so so so amazing but honestly branch had that show won. the pictures dont do any of the guys justice, branch made me scared in person he looks so insane

Comment

Originally posted by jpz13 View Post
            I agree. I too had Phil picked but that's really only because I prefer his physique. I don't have a problem with Jay winning though. I totally agree with you on the point about the pictures of Jay not doing him justice. He looks much better in video's and especially when hitting the mandatories. That is why Jay wins. If he is in shape he is simply too big for anyone to touch in a comparison lineup and that is where the show is won.
            When judging who will win or place where, you need to remove personal favorites from your selection as much as possible.
            Many fans just pick their favorites which is natural but not very effective in JUDGING who will place where.
            For example, I prefer the Rockell kind of physique on a personal basis. Some prefer Phil Heath's kind of physique, etc
            However, when picking the better pro at the Olympia you must consider the actual standards they are being judged by.
            Ronny Rockell may have the most classic lines and ideal balance, but for a modern Mr Olympia he lacks the overall massive, visual impact, that Jay has.
            Phil Heath looks great in certain poses with his incredible arms and deep separation.
            BUT, he lacks the big, WIDE upper body that is the standard of most Mr Olympias.
            We may all have our favorites and ideal pro physiques, BUT, we should all remember how the thing is really judged.
            I saw a star, reached for it...and MISSED

Comment

^^^ agreed... phill will no doubt win a Sandow in a few years, but in comparison to Jay his shoulders almost look slouched... you could place a meter stick across jays upper back over his shoulders and it would be flat. he looks like a shredded refrigerator... he looked great imo...
              I went Camp Crystal Lake when I was younger.

Training Log

Comment

Originally posted by Howard View Post
                When judging who will win or place where, you need to remove personal favorites from your selection as much as possible.
                Many fans just pick their favorites which is natural but not very effective in JUDGING who will place where.
                For example, I prefer the Rockell kind of physique on a personal basis. Some prefer Phil Heath's kind of physique, etc
                However, when picking the better pro at the Olympia you must consider the actual standards they are being judged by.
                Ronny Rockell may have the most classic lines and ideal balance, but for a modern Mr Olympia he lacks the overall massive, visual impact, that Jay has.
                Phil Heath looks great in certain poses with his incredible arms and deep separation.
                BUT, he lacks the big, WIDE upper body that is the standard of most Mr Olympias.
                We may all have our favorites and ideal pro physiques, BUT, we should all remember how the thing is really judged.
                Who determines the judging criteria and how long ago was it established?

Maybe its time to make revisions...
                "Gentlemen, we can rebuild him. We have the technology ... Better. Stronger. Faster."

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin27 View Post
                  Who determines the judging criteria and how long ago was it established?

Maybe its time to make revisions...
                  Yeah I would agree with this.

Comment

One thing can be stated as a fact: watching the telecast live makes a HUGE difference than looking at photos. Photos never tell the real story.

Comment

Originally posted by Howard View Post

Can't agree more, thanks.

Comment

Kevin English has a very ugly physique. not sure why the judges selected him the winnner. And there is no way that Jay looked better than Phil Heath. There is not one pose (except maybe the abs/thigh pose) that Jay is better than Phil....

Comment

I think the placings at the "O" were good but the 202 placings were a disgrace...

Comment

David Henry > Kevin English
                            Eduardo Correa > Kevin English

Comment

Originally posted by buffguy View Post
                              Kevin English has a very ugly physique. not sure why the judges selected him the winnner. And there is no way that Jay looked better than Phil Heath. There is not one pose (except maybe the abs/thigh pose) that Jay is better than Phil....
                              exactly, david henry and eduardo correa were standing there like wtf are you serious?

Comment

Working...
                              X