2015 NHL PLAYOFFS Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Muscular Development Forum Rules :.

This Post May be found offensive & may contain offensive material, consider yourself advised.

Comment

Jets down 3 games

http://streamable.com/46lm

This Post May be found offensive & may contain offensive material, consider yourself advised.

Comment

Originally posted by UkrainianGuy View Post
        Jets down 3 games

http://streamable.com/46lm
        Could be worse. You could be Toronto.

Comment

Originally posted by romant56 View Post
          Could be worse. You could be Toronto.
          my buddy who's a leafs fan, converted to Jets fan, was planning to return to leaf land but Oilers got Mcdavid so now he left NHL for good! Oilers still not gonna make playoffs

Comment

Comment

Ducks and Jets playing the way playoff hockey was meant to be played

Ducks vs. Jets (Photo by Lance Thomson/NHLI via Getty Images)

The biggest disappointment of the first round of the playoffs is that the Anaheim Ducks are just that much better than the Winnipeg Jets. It stinks, really, that this series might be over in four games and that we might experience only one more Winnipeg White-Out.

Because for this cornerís money, even with the series standing at 3-0 in favor of the Ducks, it has been by far the most entertaining of the playoffs so far. The Jets have had a lead for 79:31 through the first three games and the Ducks have been in front for only 11:21, which indicates that the Ducks are clearly coming as advertised as a third period team that has an uncanny ability to win one-goal games. The Jets are showing their collective lack of experience in crucial situations to be sure, but theyíve showed up. Man, have they showed up.

The best thing about this series is it reminds me of a rugby game, in that the players spend the time between the whistles knocking the daylights out of each other and competing for every inch of the playing surface and when they get knocked down, they simply get up and keep on playing.
              The same, unfortunately, cannot be said about the Montreal-Ottawa series or, especially, the Vancouver-Calgary series, two series that have descended into chaotic disarray, where every perceived or real slight has to be answered with over-the-top-retribution, where ďmessage sendingĒ has run amok, with the main message being that these teams canít seem to play with any sense of discipline.

For example, the Anaheim-Winnipeg series has been labeled the ďBlack and Blue SeriesĒ for good reason. The two teams have combined for 269 hits in three games and it seems there isnít a player on the ice who can carry the puck more than two steps before being hit with a hard, clean hit. The Ducks have averaged 7.3 penalty minutes per game, the Jets 8.7. Contrast that with the Vancouver-Calgary series, which has combined for just 142 total hits. But the Flames and Canucks are the two most penalized teams in the playoffs, with the Flames chalking up 43.7 minutes per game, the Canucks 37.3.

Has the Ducks-Jets series been without its nastiness? No. In fact, Dustin Byfuglien should have received a major penalty for attacking Corey Perry after Perry scored early in the second period of Game 3. But hereís where the discipline comes in. The key to the whole thing was Perryís reaction. Perhaps itís because heís been guilty of some fairly vicious skullduggery in the past, but Perry simply gave a ďwhat the heck was that all about?Ē look, skated back to his bench to celebrate and kept playing.

And nobody is questioning the masculinity or toughness of the Anaheim Ducks this morning. So I ask you, which team really is tougher? The Ducks, who have the ability to keep their emotions in check and skate away and play the game, or teams such as the Canucks and Flames, which canít seem to endure any kind of physicality without dropping their gloves and creating a bunch of mayhem.

There have been no fines in the Anaheim-Winnipeg series, none of the predictable public carping about the referees and the league. And yet, it has clearly been the series that has been the most physical, the most intensely battled and it features two big, heavy teams that can skate. The Ducks are the heaviest team in the NHL with an average weight of 210 pounds, while the Jets are the fourth heaviest at 207. Among playoff teams, only the Washington Capitals are heavier than the Jets.

Conventional wisdom among hockey violence apologists is that the game, particularly at playoff time, is played at such a high level of emotion and there is so much on the line that itís only natural that things are going to get out of hand. The Ducks and Jets are proving that is indeed a load of bunk. Perhaps its because all three games have been close and the margin of victory has been so thin, but itís been refreshing to see two teams stick to hockey and play it the way it was meant to be played.

The Ducks and Jets are proving you can have tough, hard-hitting, punishing and emotional hockey without things descending into the abyss of stupidity. Itís just too bad the Jets, as badly as they want to be the Ducks, arenít quite there yet. Because thatís what has been the difference in this series and thatís why it may end up being a short one.

Any way the NHL can change its rules and make this one a best-of-11?

Comment

That is definitely a good series. Playoff hockey is what's up. I could literally watch every game if I had the time.

Comment

Ghosts of Leafs trades past haunting playoffs

Anaheim Ducks Rickard Rakell (67) celebrates his game winning overtime goal as Winnipeg Jets' Jacob Trouba (8) looks on, during game three NHL playoff hockey action in Winnipeg, Monday, April 20, 2015. (Trevor Hagan/CP)

The Winnipeg Jetsí first Stanley Cup Playoff game since 1996 grabbed the attention of the hockey world last night ó myself included.

Iím not a Jets fan and I donít dislike the Ducks. But I have to admit, I would have preferred for the Jets to win. I just like happy fans and a good story, and a Jets win would have given us both. Unfortunately for Jets fans, that was not in the cards. The Anaheim Ducks scored in overtime. Specifically, Rickard Rakell scored in overtime.

Rickard Rakell.
                  That name always stings me as a Leafs fan. Why? Join me on a journey down the Maple Leafs trade rabbit hole.

In 2011, the Leafs traded Tomas Kaberle to the Boston Bruins for a first round pick, a conditional 2nd round pick, and Joe Colborne. It looked like a three-way win: The Bruins got their Stanley Cup, Kaberle got his Stanley Cup, and the Leafs got three very valuable assets for their rebuild du jour. The deal looked fantastic for the Leafs at the time.

"Assets" is the key word there. A scout by the name of Gus Katsaros taught me a very valuable term in hockey several years ago: Asset management. This trade by the Leafs is a prime example of abysmal asset management and, frankly, it's probably part of the reason Shanahan and company decided to fire Dave Nonis and 18 scouts.

The first rounder

The first round pick the Bruins gave up to the Leafs ended up being the best-case scenario for Boston: 30th overall. (Pays to be the champs, eh?) No matter for the Leafs, though -- that's still a valuable pick. Unfortunately for Toronto, 30th overall wasn't quite good enough. The Leafs had their eyes on a young whippersnapper out of the U.S. by the name of Tyler Biggs and word on the street was that Biggs wouldn't still be available by the 30th pick. The Leafs took action and traded the the 30th overall pick (Boston's first) and the 39th overall pick (Toronto's second) to Anaheim in exchange for the 22nd pick overall. Tyler Biggs gets drafted by Toronto and the Leafs get their man.

The Ducks selected Rickard Rakell with the 30th pick. Ouch, right? Allow me to rub salt in that wound: The Ducks selected John Gibson with the 39th pick. Tyler Biggs? Well, he had five points in the AHL this season.

Did I mention that Rickard Rakell's number is 67? Rickard Rakell's number is 67. Very funny, Rickard.

The conditional second round pick

The condition on the second rounder the Leafs received from Boston hinged on the Bruins making the 2011 Stanley Cup Final. They did, so the Leafs were awarded Boston's second round pick for the 2012 NHL Entry Draft the following year.

Leafs management decided to trade this pick to the Colorado Avalanche for John-Michael Liles. Again, it seemed like a good idea at the time. As time and injuries wore on, the Leafs soured on Liles and his contract -- that the Leafs signed him to, by the way -- so it was time for a trade. On the day of the 2014 Winter Classic, the Leafs traded Liles to the Carolina Hurricanes in exchange for Tim Gleason. If CapGeek was still online, you might know Gleason better as one of the guys the Leafs are currently paying not to play for them because of a buyout.

Oh, it gets better.

Joe Colborne

With one-way contracts like Colton Orr and Frazer McLaren, the Leafs decided to trade Colborne rather than have him as a healthy scratch. He was dealt to the Calgary Flames in exchange for a fourth round pick in 2014.

Who did the Leafs draft with this pick? They didn't. They traded that pick to the Blues in the trade that brought Roman Polak to Toronto. Now Polak is one of the many names rumored to be on his way out of town.

And I thought of all of this nonsense just because Rickard Rakell went and scored an overtime winner in the Stanley Cup Playoffs. It's OK though, I won't torment you anymore, Leafs fans...
                  ...ACTUALLY if you've got a second, there is one more trade I was reminded of during this game.
                  The MTS Centre exploded when Lee Stempniak scored the Jets' first Stanley Cup Playoff goal since 1996.

Lee Stempniak.

There's another name that stings Leafs fans. By now we all know the abomination that was Alex Steen and Carlo Colaiacovo for Lee Stempniak deal. What if I told you it gets worse?
                  After parts of two seasons in Toronto, Lee Stempniak was traded to the Phoenix Coyotes in exchange for a defender named Matt Jones, as well as fourth and seventh round picks in 2010. Three assets! Not bad. What did the Leafs do with them?

Matt Jones
                  After several minutes of super-thorough Google research, I can't find anything on Matt Jones beyond the 2008-09 season. I'll assume he was included in this trade just to free up a roster spot.

Phoenix's 2010 seventh round pick

The Leafs traded this pick to Edmonton in exchange for the Oilers' sixth round pick in 2011. The Leafs drafted Dave "Brolldozer" Broll with that pick. Broll was recently traded to Tampa Bay along with Carter Ashton in exchange for a conditional seventh round pick. Nothing much there but at the end of the day, it's pretty rare to get much value for a seventh-rounder. This next pick is the fun one.

Phoenix's 2010 fourth round pick

The Leafs didn't keep this pick. Are you noticing a trend here? The Capitals wanted to move up so they traded their fourth and fifth round picks (116th and 146th overall) to Toronto for this pick (112th overall).

The 116th pick turned into Petter Granberg, who has played eight career NHL games so far. The 146th pick turned into Daniel Brodin, who isn't exactly lighting it up in Sweden as a winger.
                  Who did the Capitals get with the 112th pick? Goaltender Philipp Grubauer, who recently picked up the Game 2 win for Washington in their series versus the New York Islanders. Fun!
                  I'm not bringing these things up to be going "Leafs, Leafs, Leafs!" (I may be a Leafs fan but trust me when I say I don't want to talk about this hockey team right now.) I've been looking to escape their brutal season by watching other teams beat the hell out of each other with some good, old-fashioned playoff hockey.

But Rakell. Stempniak. Colborne. Grubauer. Every way I turn, I'm haunted by the ghosts of Leafs past.

Comment

Comment

CRAP JETS got swept..go Flames GO

Comment

Hawks, Flames and Rangers advance,

capitals and islanders going to game 7 big surprise...

One of the great old Patrick Division rivalries is back on center stage in the Stanley Cup Playoffs for the first time in 22 years.

The Washington Capitals and New York Islanders haven't met in the playoffs since the 1993 Patrick Division Semifinals, a series most remembered for Dale Hunter's hit on Pierre Turgeon late in Game 6, which the Islanders won to eliminate the Capitals.

The Islanders have won five out of the six playoff series between the two teams, including three straight from 1983-85. New York won the Stanley Cup in 1983, the last of its run of four straight championships. The Islanders also advanced to the Final in 1984.

Washington's lone series win against the Islanders came in a 3-0 sweep in the 1986 Patrick Division Semifinals.

The only part of the history between Washington and New York which will play a role in this series is Nassau Coliseum, which will be vacated by the Islanders at the end of the season for a move to Barclays Center in Brooklyn.

It's a good bet to count on Islanders fans to make the old building on Hempstead Turnpike shake during this postseason. And, yes, it does actually shake, or at least the press box does.

The modern version of this Metropolitan Division rivalry features two of the best players in the NHL, Capitals captain Alex Ovechkin and Islanders captain John Tavares. They battled each other for the Art Ross Trophy throughout the season and Ovechkin won his sixth Rocket Richard Trophy with a League-best 53 goals.

Ovechkin scored five points (four goals) in four games against the Islanders. Tavares matched him with five points (two goals).

It was a home-rink-dominated four-game season series; each team won its two home games. The Islanders defeated the Capitals in overtime twice at Nassau Coliseum; the Capitals defeated the Islanders once in regulation and once in a shootout at Verizon Center.

Washington's League-best power play was 3-for-9 against the Islanders, but New York outscored Washington on special teams 5-3. The Islanders were 4-for-13 on the power play and had a shorthanded goal.

The Capitals and Islanders are similar in how they want to possess the puck and quickly attack off the rush, but the matchup to watch is the Islanders' speed and forecheck against the Capitals' physicality and skill.

Washington is known as one of the heavier teams to play against in the Eastern Conference but has the League's best power play. New York is considered one of the fastest teams and one of the most aggressive on the forecheck.
                        Last edited by UkrainianGuy; April 26th, 2015, 08:38 AM.

Comment

Comment

Seen this type of hit before, some say its the defenseman's fault others say its a dirty hit. It's both, yet refs cant seem to call this play consistently. I've seen game misconduct and no call at all..

Comment

alright this round almost over, tonights game 7 and then its the Stanley Cup FINAL!

Who's still watching?

Comment

Comment

Working...
                                X