Sean Avery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sean Avery

DALLAS (AP) -- Sean Avery is in trouble with the NHL again, this time for thinly veiled comments about a foe dating his former girlfriend.
    Commissioner Gary Bettman suspended Avery indefinitely Tuesday hours after the Dallas Stars pest made "inappropriate public comments, not pertaining to the game." Avery will meet with Bettman before his punishment is settled. That get-together is likely to happen soon.

Avery's inflammatory comments came following a morning skate in Calgary, where the Stars were playing the Flames on Tuesday night.
    Avery approached a group of reporters, asked if a camera was present, then said he wanted to say one thing: "I'm really happy to be back in Calgary; I love Canada," he said. "I just want to comment on how it's become like a common thing in the NHL for guys to fall in love with my (former girlfriends)."

He used a crude term to refer to ex-girlfriends now dating other people.

Avery's ex-girlfriend, actress Elisha Cuthbert, is dating Calgary defensman Dion Phaneuf and had been romantically linked to Mike Komisarek of the Canadiens. Avery also dated model and actress Rachel Hunter, the girlfriend of Kings center Jarrett Stoll.

"I completely support the league's decision to suspend Sean Avery," Stars owner Tom Hicks said in a statement. "Had the league not have suspended him, the Dallas Stars would have. This organization will not tolerate such behavior, especially from a member of our hockey team. We hold our team to a higher standard and will continue to do so."

Dallas signed Avery to a $15.5 million, four-year deal in July, hoping his grittiness would help last season's Western Conference finalists. Instead, the injury-riddled Stars went into Tuesday night's game with only 20 points, fewest in the Western Conference and near the bottom of the NHL.

This is Avery's third team in as many seasons, and fourth of his career. Despite his tough-guy image on the ice, he's become a celebrity beyond the sports world through his interest in fashion, including an internship with Vogue magazine.
    I never lie because I don't fear anyone. You only lie when you're afraid - John Gotti

BWAHAHAHAHA!!
    Class act all the way.
    Its impossible for a guy of my stature intelligence and moral fibre to befriend a guy like orstki who is a slimey rodent like person

Comment

I thought this was interesting by Arash Markazi

Like him or not, Sean Avery gets it. "It" is attention. "It" is media coverage. "It" is national exposure. Quite frankly the NHL hasn't gotten "It" in a long time and most likely won't judging from the way they handled Avery's latest headline grabbing comments.
      The NHL suspended Avery indefinitely Tuesday for inflammatory comments he made following a morning skate in Calgary, Alberta. This is what he said: "I am really happy to be back in Calgary, I love Canada. I just want to comment on how it's become like a common thing in the NHL for guys to fall in love with my sloppy seconds. I don't know what that's about. Enjoy the game tonight."

For those of you who don't read US Weekly or People, Avery was referring to his past relationships with actress Elisha Cuthbert, who is now dating Calgary defenseman Dion Phaneuf and had been linked to Mike Komisarek of the Canadiens, and model Rachel Hunter, who is now with Los Angeles Kings center Jarrett Stoll.

This is why Avery is the best thing to happen to the NHL and why it's no surprise that the NHL, which seemingly does everything in its power to make the sport irrelevant, is trying to stop him.

I took a look at the front pages of five prominent sports Web sites Tuesday night and of the nearly 100 stories, columns and pictures there was only one mention of the NHL: Avery's "sloppy seconds" remark. If he hadn't made the statement and subsequently been suspended, I'm fairly certain the NHL, which is nearly at its mid-season mark, would have gone another day without being mentioned on the front page of any of those sites.

It's amazing that a league that condones fighting on the ice would be so adamantly opposed to a war of words off it. Some might say Avery's comments and behavior aren't the kind of attention the league needs. I couldn't disagree more. Avery isn't doing anything illegal. He's not shooting himself at a club or pushing a security guard against a broken mirror at a restaurant or taking illegal supplements -- he's trash talking. Suspending Avery for making controversial comments before a game would be like punishing a fighter for berating an opponent to hype an upcoming match. Avery knows what makes headlines; unfortunately, the NHL doesn't -- and doesn't seem interested in making them, either.

Even before Avery's comments about his exes essentially being "puck bunnies," I was looking forward to Tuesday's Stars-Flames game because of this summer comment: "Our commissioner hasn't realized that he needs to probably do a better job of marketing the game and certainly some of the players in it. Nobody cares about [Flames right winger] Jarome Iginla and guys like that. They're just not exciting enough. They don't bring enough to the game."

Avery, of course, is right. He single-handedly made a game between the last-place Dallas Stars and the sixth-place Calgary Flames relevant nationally -- and the NHL subsequently suspended him and any attention the game would have gotten. It's probably just as well. The only way to watch the game was through an online feed on the league's Web site, which streamed the game from Dallas affiliate My27. Like I said, the NHL doesn't get "It" and likely never will.
      I never lie because I don't fear anyone. You only lie when you're afraid - John Gotti

Comment

So, the NHL should make Avery it's poster boy? All he does is bring negative publicity for his bullshit actions. Show some highlight goals, crushing checks. The NHL does no advertising that I see. But fuck Avery. I would rather have no pub, than his pub.
        Its impossible for a guy of my stature intelligence and moral fibre to befriend a guy like orstki who is a slimey rodent like person

Comment

He is a genuien piece of shit. This man does not give two shits about anyone or anything, and I'm glad that the NHL finally stop giving a shit about him. His own team doens't want him. Good for him.

Comment

side show
            Muscular Development Forum Rules :.

This Post May be found offensive & may contain offensive material, consider yourself advised.

Comment

Everything you guys said is true but I would take him on the Sabres in a heartbeat.

Least he plays with heart. Not like that moron Afinoganov.

Comment

i wouldnt.. a team doesnt need that kind of distraction. Causes more greif than its worth.... u forget he has been with 4 teams already and its his 7th season.

This Post May be found offensive & may contain offensive material, consider yourself advised.

Comment

Originally posted by UkrainianGuy View Post
                  i wouldnt.. a team doesnt need that kind of distraction. Causes more greif than its worth.... u forget he has been with 4 teams already and its his 7th season.
                  I am desperate anyway. Playing like crap and are gonna miss the playoffs again.

Comment

Originally posted by UkrainianGuy View Post
                    side show

Yet every other sport almost embraces their side shows as long as they don't run afoul of the legal system. Rodman, Shaq, Sheed,iverson, Barkley...the list goes on in the NBA. Great players? yeah,but the smack they talked added something to the game. I thought the NHL was on the way back this year, but stupid shit like this from Bettman makes me wonder when he will get the ax.
                    “War is peace.
                    Freedom is slavery.
                    Ignorance is strength.”
                    ― George Orwell

Comment

well i agree with Betman, this B.S doesnt belong... sure maybe on the ice or soemthing like that, but post game comments? Humor and ribbing is one thing, like the Wings use to make fun of the Sens (Wings or was it the rangers? i cant remmeber i knew it was Shanahan pretending to be n the bike in the dressing room and the reporters we laughing... as all the Sens post game interviews were always on the bike) That was funny. Or comments Patrick Roy would make in rebutle to a statement, Pat would say he didnt recall hearing that, must have been the cup rings on his fingers.. or something like that. But Avery aint joking around with humor or class imo
                      Last edited by UkrainianGuy; December 3rd, 2008, 09:52 PM.

Comment

What terms did he actually use haven't been able to find it

Comment

terms? huh ?

Comment

He used a crude term to refer to ex-girlfriends now dating other people.

Comment

oh... i will search youtube later

Comment

Working...
                              X