No announcement yet.

Relocate the Phoenix Coyotes to !! ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I agree, Winnipeg is a great hockey city.
    I just feel business wise, it's not a good proposition.
    You admitted they have an owner willing to take billions in losses (doubt he could take billions), which raises the point...why relocate to a place with such a small profit margin potential (again the NHL is a business first, a hockey league second)?

The risk in Winnipeg is big...marginal at best potential to be profitable (modest reward), whereas in Phoenix the reward is, if Phoenix becomes a hockeytown, that team selling out will be much more profitable because it is a larger market, with more businesses, sponsors, and fans who would be NEW fans.
    See the business angle I am taking?
    My Journal:

Comment

• yeap, but that team is losing money because of where it is, and millions more than it would in Winnipeg.
      The city is in HUGE debt. How is that good business. And somehow yet they found $25 million to cover half the costs,
      and the NHL wants $25 million more. That is only to make par!!! Now it also must fill the seats which they havent been able to do since the team moved there! And also find an Owner. Perhaps if the city wasnt in shames due to over spending and mis-managment of money so poorly, and had a decent attendance i could see you view. But those are two very big points i cannot ignore.

Google David Thomson, net worth over $25 billion.

You probably are right, Coyotes will stay, but Winnipeg will get a team. Win - win
      Muscular Development Forum Rules :.

This Post May be found offensive & may contain offensive material, consider yourself advised.

Comment

• Take the Islanders, please move them to Quebec or Winnipeg, or ideally, Seattle/Portland as the USA Pacific NW needs a team.
        NY doesn't need 3 teams.
        My Journal:

Comment

• GLENDALE PLEDGES $25 MILLION TO KEEP COYOTES ONE MORE YEAR

The Phoenix Coyotes are going to overtime and Winnipeg's emotionally tortured hockey fans can forget for at least a year about the team once known as the Jets coming back to its roots.

In a 5-2 vote Tuesday night, the City of Glendale voted to buy itself another season of NHL hockey by promising to commit $25 million to the Phoenix Coyotes losses if the team can't find a buyer by the end of the 2011-12 season.

If that sounds familiar, it should. Glendale voted to do the exact same thing a year ago but the NHL's hopes of closing a deal with prospective buyer Matthew Hulsizer were scuttled by the threat of a lawsuit by the conservative tax payer group known as the Goldwater Institute.
          Meanwhile, Winnipeg's hopes of returning to the NHL are not dead, as the Atlanta Thrashers remain for sale and now become the object of Winnipeg's True North Sports and Entertainment, which has been waiting patiently in the wings.

The Thrashers owners have made no promises about being back in Atlanta next season, where the team has racked up millions of dollars in losses in recent seasons, and may require new investors or a sale to keep the team in Georgia. However, with the calendar moving towards mid-May, any deal between True North and the Thrashers owners would have to be executed quickly for the team to be relocated in time for next season.

As for the Coyotes, Glendale Mayor Elaine Scruggs and a majority of city councilors successfully argued the costs of losing the team would be more damaging than the $25 million expense incurred to keep them for one more season.

Though there was precious little evidence presented to back up that claim, it was a position supported by a majority of citizens who spoke to council Tuesday night.

However, Goldwater Institute lawyer Nick Dranias said it's impossible for the councilors to know whether that's true without having a breakdown of expenses for Jobing.com Arena without the Coyotes as a prime tenant.
          Dranias warned council that their actions could be in violation of the state's constitution which prohibits gifting taxpayer dollars to private businesses. But he said Goldwater requites more information before it can make that case conclusively, something it hopes to have by June through litigation against the city.

Would Goldwater sue to try and block the transfer or $25 million to the NHL? It seems unlikely.

"Ultimately, if we're going to challenge the overall deal, we have to think of whether it's wise to challenge a piece of it," said Dranias after the meeting. "I can't make the same promise (to sue) on the $25 million that we did on the deal as a whole. This is a $25 million piece of a deal that could be $200 million."

Though Glendale has bought itself another season, it's debatable whether the NHL's prospects of finding an owner to keep the team in Arizona are any better than they were a year ago. The Coyotes lost nearly $37 million this season while being operated by the NHL and there has been an absence of prospective buyers willing to sink enough of their own money into the $170 million purchase price.

The City of Glendale could end up right back where it was a year ago and one city councilor who voted in favour of the deal, Joyce Clark, warned "If you can't figure this out in a year, I'm done folks!"

Unless the Thrashers aren't sold to Winnipeg interests within the near future, it's possible Winnipeg could be dancing with the Coyotes again next season, for the third consecutive spring.

Tuesday night's result was not the answer hockey fans in Winnipeg were hoping for. And not the permanent solution fans in Arizona wanted.
          But after months of wrangling, rumours and speculation, hope for the future of the NHL in both cities remains alive.
          Attached Files

This Post May be found offensive & may contain offensive material, consider yourself advised.

Comment

• Please move the Islanders, I hate that franchise.
            My Journal:

Comment

• Muscular Development Forum Rules :.

Comment

• Muscular Development Forum Rules :.

Comment

• So here we are again... 3 years later and now suddenly they don't want the team anymore... lol.. these people are amazing .... fight to keep it but now changed their minds. All this legal crap could have been handled behind closed doors but no its out in the public.. I for one am sick and tired of hearing about the Coyotes... every year or so some rumblings are going on... the fact they are already talking about this team moving to Vegas or Kanas City just make me wanna puke. Only positive I can see is the records and stats could go to back to Winnipeg if the team folds. Crossing my fingers on that... oh well here is the latest in the Continuous Coyotes Crap

Coyotes co-owner’s not nuts, perhaps just a little misguided

By: Ken Campbell on June 11, 2015

Anthony LeBlanc (left) and Gary Bettman (Photo by Christian Petersen/Getty Images)

CHICAGO – Arizona Coyotes co-owner Anthony LeBlanc thinks I think he’s nuts for fighting to keep the Coyotes in the desert. For the record, I don’t think Anthony LeBlanc is nuts. I admire him for his determination and his willingness to stand up for what he thinks is right.

But like so many other people, I’m absolutely flummoxed at why LeBlanc, and the NHL for that matter, seems so insistent on fighting for a hockey market that has bled millions of dollars and one now, where even the local government has made it clear it no longer wants you around. Both the NHL and LeBlanc have fought the good fight and both can now leave the desert – at least this part of the desert – with a completely clear conscience.

But they continue to fight. Sometimes your trusty correspondent wonders if those who are battling even remember what it is they’re trying to achieve by winning the fight.

“Everyone talks about our out clause,” LeBlanc said in a conference call Thursday afternoon, the day after Glendale council voted 5-2 to cancel the 15-year lease agreement with the Coyotes for the Gila River Arena less than two years into the deal. “Well, we have an out right now and we’re going the other way.” LeBlanc went on to say the Coyotes are trending upward and, “we believe in this market. We’re trending in the right direction.”

LeBlanc pointed to one of the teams in the Stanley Cup final, the Tampa Bay Lightning, and how it wasn’t long ago that the Lightning was in disarray. But that was before billionaire Jeff Vinik came along with his very, very, very deep pockets. And when Vinik purchased the Lightning, there was no out clause. He was there for the long haul. And if reports are true, Vinik has a lot more money at his disposal than Coyotes majority owner Anthony Barroway.

What makes the situation such a head scratcher for many is that it seems inevitable to everyone but Anthony LeBlanc that the Coyotes will ultimately move out of Arizona anyway. But LeBlanc valiantly soldiers on, talking about how season ticket renewals were up five percent until this happened, how when you include the sales tax revenues, Glendale was “buffering up against $10 million,” as a return from this season on the $15 million a year it gives to the Coyotes.

LeBlanc talked about the city of Glendale showing “political gamesmanship,” and how it is trying to exploit a technicality. And that technicality revolves around Coyotes general counsel Craig Tindall, who was terminated as the city’s attorney general before being hired by the Coyotes in 2013. Glendale is citing a conflict of interest, which is something of a stretch. LeBlanc pointed out that Tindall’s hiring did not violate the spirit of the law and that Glendale is trying to use a loophole to either renegotiate or get out of its agreement with the Coyotes. And he’s right. City council realizes it got hosed in the last deal and is looking for a way to improve it. And if it needs to exploit a loophole to do that, well, let’s just say that’s probably the first play in the playbook.

But that just demonstrates how badly Glendale wants to restructure this deal. And if that’s the case, it gives the Coyotes an opportunity to make a clean break. If they’re going to move in three years anyway, why not just get it done now?

Well, first of all there’s no safety net. Nobody knows where the Coyotes will end up, but Las Vegas is as good a bet as any. The only problem with Las Vegas is the new arena is not due to be finished until early 2016. Could that construction be expedited given the circumstances? If the Coyotes were to move there next season, would they be able to play the first couple of months on the road until the building is completed?

It’s interesting that, along with filing for damages, the Coyotes have applied for a temporary restraining order. If it succeeds, the Coyotes would have a home for the time being, perhaps for one more season. Then with a new arena, billionaire William Foley could step in and move the team there.

Yes, the league wants to preserve its ability to collect $500 million in expansion fees. But could it not just charge $500 million in relocation fees instead? In fact, would an established franchise with a load of good, young prospects not be worth more than having to start a team from scratch?
                  There are a lot of moving parts here and nobody really knows at the moment where all this is going. But one thing we know is there are people who are willing to keep fighting for a team that really doesn’t seem worth all the headaches.

Comment

Working...
                  X