polycythemia?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• polycythemia?

62 yr old male. Just had double shoulder replacement. Ball and Socket. No more benching ever. Physical last month HDL-53, LDL-126, total-196, prostate-OK, stool-OK, PSA-1.3, TRI-81.6. Testosterone-344. VA says Testosterone should be between 175-781. I have hemocromatosis. Diagnosed in 1995 when I retired from military after 27 yrs. I have been giving blood since 1995 on a regular basis. About 3 times a year. Give a blood sample every 3 months and if counts are high then I give blood. VA Dr. is an Internal Medecine Dr. and he monitors me very closly. If Ferritan is higher than 50 than I give. If Hemoglobin is higher than 18 I give.

Did some Test in the 80's when I was powerlifiting and haven't done any in almost 20 years. Had first shoulder replacement in Jan. 2009. One year before this I decided to try some test cypionate again and took one cc a week just to see if I would respond and try to relive the good old days. When I went to get my iron level test results the doctor said both my red blood cells and iron were very high especially my red blood cells. He started bleeding me every month and then every two weeks. He was worried about polycythemia. Even did a bone marrow biopsy from my hip and all kinds of other blood tests. He couldn't understand why my red blood cells were increasing when I was giving so much blood. He asked me about high altitude and smoking and there is none of that. He then asked me if I was taking steroids and of course I said no since I am a disabled veteran and get free health care from VA. I didn't want to screw up my health care benefits. At one time the RN who did my phlebotomy said my blood was so dark and thick that I could have had a stroke. I went off the cypionate and after six months everything returned to normal. My HDL went down also and dropped to 25.

VA frowns on HRT. My primary care NP told me this. Would be great to get HRT from VA so I could get everything monitered but that ain't gonna happen.

I would love to give myself a little boost in the gym but certainly don't want to risk high red blood cells again and get polycythemia. Any suggestions? Don't want to take Test and have to take a bunch of other stuff to counter-act the negative side effects of excess red blood cells.

My last batch of Test was from TJ just before Operation Gear Grinder and I certainly don't want to go there again. Don't want to lose my head. I will not buy from someone in a gym ever again, only legit stuff from a DR.

I still have some D-bol but didn't take any. All I ever took in the 80's was 2 pills a day and made gains. 10mg of D-bol can't be that bad can it? I know you don't like orals but pinning myself at this stage in my life is a real pain in the ass.

I'm in CA. and you are a long way from here. Do you know anyone out here like you I could go see. I'm in SF Bay area. VA would not outsource this on a fee basis so it would be all my own $.

Very healthy otherwise. All blood counts are normal. Non smoker, light drinker, walk 4-6 miles every day it doesn't rain. Ride spin bike a lot. 5' 7", 175#. Get an ultrasound scan by Lifescreening every year for an artery check and all is great.

DAAM I just want to get a little kick in the gym. Never be what I was in the 80's but there must be something I can do. Not going to compete. Just train for my own health, fitness and personnel well being. I definetly want to be monitored so that adjustments can be made to keep my iron and red blood cell count and my HDL where they should be.

Many thanks.

Originally posted by TUNAFISH View Post
    62 yr old male. Just had double shoulder replacement. Ball and Socket. No more benching ever. Physical last month HDL-53, LDL-126, total-196, prostate-OK, stool-OK, PSA-1.3, TRI-81.6. Testosterone-344. VA says Testosterone should be between 175-781. I have hemocromatosis. Diagnosed in 1995 when I retired from military after 27 yrs. I have been giving blood since 1995 on a regular basis. About 3 times a year. Give a blood sample every 3 months and if counts are high then I give blood. VA Dr. is an Internal Medecine Dr. and he monitors me very closly. If Ferritan is higher than 50 than I give. If Hemoglobin is higher than 18 I give.

Did some Test in the 80's when I was powerlifiting and haven't done any in almost 20 years. Had first shoulder replacement in Jan. 2009. One year before this I decided to try some test cypionate again and took one cc a week just to see if I would respond and try to relive the good old days. When I went to get my iron level test results the doctor said both my red blood cells and iron were very high especially my red blood cells. He started bleeding me every month and then every two weeks. He was worried about polycythemia. Even did a bone marrow biopsy from my hip and all kinds of other blood tests. He couldn't understand why my red blood cells were increasing when I was giving so much blood. He asked me about high altitude and smoking and there is none of that. He then asked me if I was taking steroids and of course I said no since I am a disabled veteran and get free health care from VA. I didn't want to screw up my health care benefits. At one time the RN who did my phlebotomy said my blood was so dark and thick that I could have had a stroke. I went off the cypionate and after six months everything returned to normal. My HDL went down also and dropped to 25.

VA frowns on HRT. My primary care NP told me this. Would be great to get HRT from VA so I could get everything monitered but that ain't gonna happen.

I would love to give myself a little boost in the gym but certainly don't want to risk high red blood cells again and get polycythemia. Any suggestions? Don't want to take Test and have to take a bunch of other stuff to counter-act the negative side effects of excess red blood cells.

My last batch of Test was from TJ just before Operation Gear Grinder and I certainly don't want to go there again. Don't want to lose my head. I will not buy from someone in a gym ever again, only legit stuff from a DR.

I still have some D-bol but didn't take any. All I ever took in the 80's was 2 pills a day and made gains. 10mg of D-bol can't be that bad can it? I know you don't like orals but pinning myself at this stage in my life is a real pain in the ass.

I'm in CA. and you are a long way from here. Do you know anyone out here like you I could go see. I'm in SF Bay area. VA would not outsource this on a fee basis so it would be all my own $.

Very healthy otherwise. All blood counts are normal. Non smoker, light drinker, walk 4-6 miles every day it doesn't rain. Ride spin bike a lot. 5' 7", 175#. Get an ultrasound scan by Lifescreening every year for an artery check and all is great.

DAAM I just want to get a little kick in the gym. Never be what I was in the 80's but there must be something I can do. Not going to compete. Just train for my own health, fitness and personnel well being. I definetly want to be monitored so that adjustments can be made to keep my iron and red blood cell count and my HDL where they should be.

Many thanks.
    Very interetsing and I have several patients like you!!!! Got to go easy with HRT, but I have found that small more frequent doses of IM T cyp will work well and the fact is that you may have to just phlebotomize more.. no secrets here!! But its all about quality of life.. this can be done..you just need a Doc to stay on top of you..Another good question would be another agent like Tren? But I dont want to go out of bounds here... I do have other ideas on this, but I have to be very careful.... I am not giving you medical info, as Im not your Doc

Thanks for great question.. Dr O
    Stay Strong and Healthy,

Dr O

http://www.metabolicdoc.com

Comment

Working...
    X