Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PTSD treated with TRT?

Doc,

I came across this thread http://forums.musculardevelopment.co...highlight=Ptsd in which you mention treating a patient with TRT (along with lifestyle changes) for PTSD. I am a Paramedic who has been battling PTSD for approx a year and a half. I experience severe anxiety, agoraphobia, night terrors, and depression. I have tried various meds (Paxil, Wellbutrin, propranolol, clonazepam, lorazepam and Zoloft) with little success.

I have had my test checked and was found to be in the very low "acceptable" range (don't know the exact numbers).

Could you elaborate on your treatment and reasoning behind it? What were his symptoms? Is this something worth looking into? Was the patient on meds (SSRIs, benzos, etc...) before and now off them? How long did it take to see results? And anything else you want to add...

Thanks
    Matt

As someone who has battled many of the issues you seem to be facing, I'll tell you what worked for me and mention my theories as to WHY they worked.
    First thing I'd suggest is getting a printout of your last bloodwork or having it done again if its been a while and getting the printout of the new bloodwork. I've found that most Dr's (specifically primary care dr's, general practioners etc) will only indicate low testosterone when it is extremely low. Most of these Dr's will tell you that your normal test range (serum) is 300-600 while other types of Dr's use 300-1000 as a normal range (age is also a factor). It's been my experience that if you're at 301 they will tell you that your test levels are normal and that there is no reason for concern. A friend of mine had his Dr tell him his test levels were normal then when he got his printout he saw that his test levels were at 275.
    The reason it is so critical to find out the exact number is that the difference between 300 and 550 can be night and day. Personally I went from having almost every low-test symptom (including depression) at 283 to feeling like a new man at 550-700. So by taking your Dr's word for it that you're "normal" you could be overlooking a major piece of the puzzle.
    Without boring you to death with my personal story I'll say that I was severely injured in an accident, dozen surgeries, pain medication, year of rehab, cut all meds, felt like shit, depressed, severe anxiety, SSRI'S, benzos, shrink, labs that indicated low test, implemented my own TRT, diagnosed with ADHD, put on small dose of adderall which helped a lot, got my test levels right, got back in the gym.
    Once I got back in the gym with my test levels in the 600 range that was the beginning of my recovery. The more I hit the gym, the more results I saw, the stronger I got. As this was happening I found myself not wanting to take SSRI'S or daily benzos anymore. I gradually weaned myself off both of them and got to a point where my depression was non-existent and my anxiety had really improved was manageable (taking Xanax 2-3 times per week as needed).
    Why did this happen? I'm not sure. The only explanation I could come up with is "there's a lot to be said for endorphins" that are created from exercise.
    I'm also convinced that my test levels being low was the main cause of my depression because once they were restored it was literally like the cloud I was stuck in lifted and went away.
    This all took place years ago and today I'm still on TRT, 36 years old, perfect bloodwork, no depression. I still take 20mgs adderall per day and occasional Xanax for anxiety which is mostly in social situations and crowds.
    Most importantly, I'm happy and healthy.

I won't try to diagnose you. My intent was to encourage you and to let you know that it CAN be done.

Good Luck Bro

Comment

The key phrase was "along with...." Counseling, natural supports, potential hormone augmentation may help. Also working on triggers and putting yourself in health situations to not activate triggers.
      Strength in life and lifting.
      shawnbellon.com

Comment

Working...
      X