Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My story

Please consider this my formal entry into the next MHP challenge:

My name is DS. I am currently 5'11' and fluctuate between 310 and 320 pounds. I've been overweight my entire life. I attribute most of my compulsive eating to my early childhood. The eating started when I was younger and my single mother would pacify me with food and/or video games. I don't use her as an excuse, mind you, just a point of reference. I was an active child, playing a lot of organized baseball, and that's probably what kept the weight somewhat in check in those early years. I would always be ridiculed in school for being the fat kid and you know how cruel kids can be. Most of my family figured I just had a healthy appetite and that I would lose what they called "baby fat" as I grew up. Needless to say, "baby fat" turned into "adult fat".

As I progressed into the teens and saw less and less baseball and more and more video games, food subconsciously became comfort. Something that reminded me of simple childhood. Pain could be eased by eating because it was always there. I never had to make any effort to get it and it wouldn't judge me or yell at me or leave me. I can distinctly remember coming home from school and making a sleeve of biscuits, dipping them in ketchup and mayo and proceeding to down the whole thing. All this while I was in front of the TV, successfully severing the mind/body connection. To most of you this probably sounds sickening but this was the norm for me. I was a latchkey kid and with no one would be home for awhile I could pig out. My weight quickly skyrocketed. Couple that with typical teenage high-school bullshit and you've got a very unhealthy combination.

It would continue all the way through high-school and while I would have a pretty good social life and the occasional girlfriend I missed out on a lot of things. I would always chase the girl and had little or no confidence. I would always be the "lineman" when we played football. I had no speed when we played basketball so all I did was shoot from the perimeter. I couldn't enjoy the beach, and growing up on Long Island you are a beach person whether you like it or not.

It's a struggle every day to eat right. It's a struggle every day to find something that fits and get angry with how easy it is to wear the same clothes day in and day out. Since my daughter was born the pain I feel has only grown. I want to be in shape for her, my wife and our family. I want to show everyone in the world that if you give 100% towards a goal, success is just over the mountain. I've said it a million times, but I've never actually done it.

After reading some of the life-altering stories in the original contest I was inspired to share my own story and throw my hat in the ring. I've been following the bb lifestyle for sometime and the dedication/inspiration/perspiration these guys and gals put into their lives is simply magnificent. This might be the bridge I need to cross.

Congrats to all the competitors. You all busted your assess and the rewards are showing. I hope to be as successful as you in my endeavors.
    The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.
Working...
X