Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

warning about downloading bb videos

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #46
    Originally posted by bigafro View Post
    really no reason to download
    you can buy them cheap at half.com or rent them at netflix
    Hadn't thought of those. Which is dumb because I watched a number of Culter's DVDs courtesy of Netflix. I'd buy them all. Kevin Levrone's DVD (also on Netflix) I wouldn't give a nickel for by comparison.

    Anything on eBay?

    And any plans to update Aero's Training and Diet Journal?

    Comment


    • #47
      http://gmv_bodybuilding.blip.tv/#132296

      It starts off with Dorian and then runs through a series of previews, but go to the right column or side and click on the video below Asian Amazons. You'll see "Muscle Beauties in".

      It's Women's Muscle Power #13/ Muscle Beauties in Brazil and at about 45 seconds into that preview there's about 5 or 10 seconds of someone who people normally complain about.

      I've never seen any footage of her previously and she's putting some incredible condition on display in those few seconds!

      Comment


      • #48
        Originally posted by mike pulcinella View Post
        You guys have to understand that it is stealing just as surely as if you took it off the shelf at your local video store and shoved it in your coat pocket. The fact that you delete it means nothing other than to calm your conscience. Would throwing away the stolen DVD after you watch it make the theft any less wrong?
        It is stealing. There's no question about that.

        However there should be a system set up where people could get their DVD fix at what they consider a reasonable price without cheating the videographer/filmmaker, athlete, distributor, etc.

        You more than anyone else here know what's involved in creating a bodybuilding DVD. Especially one worth watching. But there should be some method of distributing those films that is more reasonably priced for the customer.

        If I can pick up a copy of the Terminator at Walmart for five bucks then why can't I get a copy of, say, Titans Part III for the same amount? I guess it's supply and demand or the economies of scale?

        Bodybuilding fans are being penalized for the fact that they're fans of a niche sport that will never be able to realize those economies of scale.

        And, yeah, even if it was a perfect world - female bodybuilders were revered, Mr. Olympia was as popular as LeBron James, gyms on every corner, bodybuilding DVDs on sale for that aforementioned five bucks with downloads available for a buck a pop, there'd be folks who would still be bootlegging or downloading for FREE.

        Welcome to planet Earth.

        People will spend $35 on a carton of cigarettes and not blink, but you ask them to pay the same amount for a DVD of their, as you said, hero they'll balk.

        Comment


        • #49
          Originally posted by davidbb View Post
          All this talk about DVD's being to pricey has made me wonder if MD could do a deal to supply them cheaper via the cyberstore? It could be a nice little earner.
          x2

          Someone from MD should talk with someone at GMV, MESO-**, et al. to see if they want to unload a bunch of stock that is not selling at all. They might bite and Cyberstore shoppers might benefit for it.


          Comment


          • #50
            Originally posted by curtjames View Post
            http://gmv_bodybuilding.blip.tv/file/128572/

            It's only about a minute, but it's FREE!

            There are sales available for certain DVDs, too. But, yeah, nothing beats free. On the other hand, if it's all free then what? Will filmmakers eventually not see the benefit of creating these videos?

            I forget where I saw the discussion, but someone was lamenting the fact that we can download music while we don't have that luxury with DVDs. They blamed Hollywood for the resistance to setting up a similar system. There's greed involved with the mainstream movies.

            It seems obvious that Hollywood has no part in what you pay for a copy of the newest JOJ video, but somethingsomething.
            intellectual proper such as music and movies for reason I wont talk about on here is of great intrest to me. DOn';t get me wrong. With music at least there is the OPTION now to buy songs for 99 cents which I think is good as it didnt exist 15 years ago when mp3s first appeared on the net.

            There are some VOD mvies like "itunes". I sometimes get tv shows I dont get the cable channel for that way.


            TV and DVDs are freely out on the internet. At least all majors releases.

            This is a nitch so there is no marketing deal for say itunes or netflix etc to offer streams of bodybuilding stuff.

            A normal million movie dvd i can get at a store for $10 but to see my fav bb do some deadlifts its $40. I understand its home spun but the profit recoop just is too much for some of us. Im not rich. I dont blame the bb'ers who put them out they are just trying to get a hussle and make some side $. I'd rather pay $10 for a pic with my fav bb than $40 for the dvd.

            Now *HINT* *HINT* somebody needs to post the ones I mentioned on torrents or usenet !

            MD or AMI even the major bb vid corp GMV if they were SMART would start to offer pay streams of BB videos. In fact, hmmm thats a great business idea.

            Mike let me say this about how I feel on the OVERALL copyright issue. I feel NO guilt in downloading say a Britney Spears song for free. She is STILL a millionaire using her $ on drugs. She isnt hurting. The problem is the media industry isnt spreading their profits fairly. Its very capitalistic. So I rather download the song and spend my few free bucks I DO have to buy my own damn line of coke.
            "You told Harpo to beat me" - Color Purple

            Comment


            • #51
              I've been buying bb video's and now dvd's for years. I have a ton of stuff that I highly value. I will admit I have downloaded a number of video's from the net, but I will always continue to buy them when I can. I live in Canada and have yet found a Canadian site or store that sells dvds anymore. Musclemag in T.O. used to till they closed up shop. Man I miss that place. There's a Popeye's in town but they only carry supp's.

              Comment


              • #52
                Originally posted by curtjames View Post
                It is stealing. There's no question about that.

                However there should be a system set up where people could get their DVD fix at what they consider a reasonable price without cheating the videographer/filmmaker, athlete, distributor, etc.

                You more than anyone else here know what's involved in creating a bodybuilding DVD. Especially one worth watching. But there should be some method of distributing those films that is more reasonably priced for the customer.

                If I can pick up a copy of the Terminator at Walmart for five bucks then why can't I get a copy of, say, Titans Part III for the same amount? I guess it's supply and demand or the economies of scale?

                Bodybuilding fans are being penalized for the fact that they're fans of a niche sport that will never be able to realize those economies of scale.

                And, yeah, even if it was a perfect world - female bodybuilders were revered, Mr. Olympia was as popular as LeBron James, gyms on every corner, bodybuilding DVDs on sale for that aforementioned five bucks with downloads available for a buck a pop, there'd be folks who would still be bootlegging or downloading for FREE.

                Welcome to planet Earth.

                People will spend $35 on a carton of cigarettes and not blink, but you ask them to pay the same amount for a DVD of their, as you said, hero they'll balk.
                Agreed on all points. I think the makers and the distribuors got lazy and greedy over the years. Back when a VHS tape or a DVD was the only game in town they could claim economies of scale and overcharge. Not so anymore.

                Economies of scale are real. It costs MUCH less per unit to get say, 5000 DVDs duplicated than it does to get 1000. However, BB DVDs sell in the HUNDREDS, if you are lucky.

                Having said that, once I got deeper into the biz and realized that BB DVDs didn't have to cost as much as they do I decided to try and charge less for mine. My new documentaries and contest DVDs price in the mid 20s for a single disk and the mid 30s for a double disk. I think that's reasonable and I'd like to see others follow my example.

                The other problem is, of course, quality. Yes, these guys may be our heros but it takes patience and creativity to bring out the interesting side of some of them. Lazy moviemaking has hurt the industry just as surely as downloading has. In fact, they are two sides of a vicious cycle. The crappier the DVDs are, the more inclined fans are to download, the LESS inclined the filmmaker is willing to put time into good product. It's a downward spiral that I don't have the answer to.
                Check out my redesigned video samples page!
                http://mikepulcinella.com/portfolio.htm

                Comment


                • #53
                  Originally posted by Flexfreak View Post
                  I've been buying bb video's and now dvd's for years. I have a ton of stuff that I highly value. I will admit I have downloaded a number of video's from the net, but I will always continue to buy them when I can. I live in Canada and have yet found a Canadian site or store that sells dvds anymore. Musclemag in T.O. used to till they closed up shop. Man I miss that place. There's a Popeye's in town but they only carry supp's.
                  The MuscleMag store is closed? Man, I used to dream about visiting that place growing up! How long was that in operation? I've never been to one of those MaxMuscle stores, but I imagine that the MuscleMag shop was similiar to what I've seen on MaxMuscle's website. That's a shame.

                  Comment


                  • #54
                    Originally posted by mike pulcinella View Post
                    My new documentaries and contest DVDs price in the mid 20s for a single disk and the mid 30s for a double disk. I think that's reasonable and I'd like to see others follow my example.
                    Well, I know I'm looking forward to the Vicki Nixon DVD, Mike.



                    And I can't praise Raising the Bar and its sequel enough. Looking forward to RTB3.

                    Just saw the one review you posted:

                    http://whatsnewatmikepulcinellavideo....blogspot.com/

                    Truer words were never spoken.

                    I met her briefly at the 2007 NPC Mountain Valley Championship in Reading, PA, but didn't know she was a judge as well as a competitor.

                    Last edited by curtjames; May 25th, 2008, 08:12 PM.

                    Comment


                    • #55
                      Thanks bro!
                      Check out my redesigned video samples page!
                      http://mikepulcinella.com/portfolio.htm

                      Comment


                      • #56
                        u guys are lucky to have dvds for $40....

                        here in australia they start at $70 and im pretty sure J to Z costs $110...

                        and our dollars is now worth about the same as yours?

                        Comment


                        • #57
                          Originally posted by bigguy86 View Post
                          u guys are lucky to have dvds for $40....

                          here in australia they start at $70 and im pretty sure J to Z costs $110...

                          and our dollars is now worth about the same as yours?
                          Yes, it's about the same according to http://www.xe.com/ucc/

                          1.00 AUD = 0.959738 USD

                          So what's up with $110 for a DVD? What does gas cost in your neighborhood?

                          I mean if I can get gas for four bucks a gallon and a DVD for forty and you're paying SEVENTY to start for the same DVD... is your gas seven bucks a gallon?

                          Comment


                          • #58
                            Originally posted by bigmike View Post
                            I cant! Last pro dvd i bought was vic m's. bought it from him in vegas, for $40, took it all the way home and it doesnt work.
                            You know there's a software solution to your problem.

                            Comment


                            • #59
                              Yanno I even turned to EBay to get it cheaper but even there its still high $30! lol I was thinking of buying some DVDs and selling them online but looks like i wouldnt recoop nothing.
                              "You told Harpo to beat me" - Color Purple

                              Comment


                              • #60
                                Unblock Hulu online with Ivacy VPN.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X