This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Economy Thread

Here is a thread for any and all info regarding the US economy. As the economy is discussed to much and affecting so many people, here is a place for article, opinion, thoughts, and predictions. Info on the world economy and other countrys' economy can be post here as well, as we live in a globalized, inter-related and inter-dependent world.

Here is a brief interview from an analyst.

The US economy will rebound within 5 years
    46.15%
    It stay in decline and alter our lives permanently
    29.49%
    We don't have enough information, yet.
    24.36%

Ebb and flow, throughout our nations history it has done this. The end is always near,yet somehow we always come out.
    “War is peace.
    Freedom is slavery.
    Ignorance is strength.”
    ― George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by The Celt View Post
      Ebb and flow, throughout our nations history it has done this. The end is always near,yet somehow we always come out.
      Sorry bro, not happening. America will not bounce back from this. Everyone in the finance sector knows that the US is pretty much fucked as far as getting back to where it was.

In the past, when America struggled, the world struggled. Now you have China to pick up the slack, both in terms of economic stability and industry.

America is in decline, and everone north of India is going to suffer for it.

Comment

Although, that guy is way over the top. For more qualified than I, but I know people far more qualified than him, and none of them are talking that Mad Max shit. Nobody is going to be struggling for food. But the American Dream is dead dead dead.

Comment

Originally posted by leave1 View Post
          Sorry bro, not happening. America will not bounce back from this. Everyone in the finance sector knows that the US is pretty much fucked as far as getting back to where it was.

In the past, when America struggled, the world struggled. Now you have China to pick up the slack, both in terms of economic stability and industry.

America is in decline, and everone north of India is going to suffer for it.

I don't doubt that the East will now have its day in the sun, but this talk of America being dead and buried is a little overhyped. One problem with the world today is that with the mass media,everything is a huge catastrophic event to get people to tune in. Thus the extreme views on talk radio and cable tv news. I believe I waould have to put more credence in the Mayan prophecies in the end of the world than some of the so-called experts these shows prance out for "information".

I am nowhere near being an economic whiz, but having studied history, am fairly confident a bounceback will occur. We may not be the richest nation on earth again for awhile...but Mad Max? ROFL thats a little crazy. Alot of changes need to be made, more regulation on industry being a big one right now I believe, and hopefully they will but we shall jst have to wait and see.
          “War is peace.
          Freedom is slavery.
          Ignorance is strength.”
          ― George Orwell

Comment

Although, that guy is way over the top. For more qualified than I, but I know people far more qualified than him, and none of them are talking that Mad Max shit. Nobody is going to be struggling for food. But the American Dream is dead dead dead.
            The American dream for the middle class will be the same. We have already declined gradually. Not too long ago a family lived fine off of a single income earner. Now that is the exception, most families have and need both parents working.

I think the disparity between rich and the middle class will grow though.

Comment

We have 200+ years of history that indicates when America seems down we always pull it together and come back. I know it looks bad on paper, but to quote Benjamin Disraeli, "There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics."
              -If you're good at something, never do it for free.-

Comment

But the American Dream is dead dead dead.
                I think Americans will have to change their values, and live a different lifestyle.

As far as the "American Dream," I think it did apply to immigrants who could come to the US, get an education and/or start their own business or move up on the sociological ladder. These opportunities don't exist in many countries.

And also related to the concept of the "American Dream," it got blown way out of proportion.

James Truslow Adams noted the "American Dream" in a book he wrote in 1931. Adams was referring tot the Dream as related to individuality and pursuing happiness.

Later, the idea of buying a house (taking out a mortgage) became connected to the concept of the "American Dream."

I don't know who did it, but it's part myth, and part marketing, and part propaganda, IMO.

Comment

I can't reply to you all individually, but I think you misunderstand me. I'm just saying the America as you have known it over the last twenty years is done. Everyone has their time in the sun, and for America, that time is over.

200+ years of history hasn't had the threat of a dominant global superpower willing to do for a dime what an American will do for a dollar. If China wasn't in the picture, there would be no question that America would bounce back.

Luckily, sort of, the average middle class American probably won't be too greatly affected. Since you've been getting hung high and dry by the upperclass for the last 25 years. The only people who'll actually feel the pinch is the working man who has to pay extra for his goods to restock the vault of the asset man.

The real hope is that the Saudi's don't pull the Trillion dollars that has been propping up the US economy for the last ten or so years.

Comment

I can't reply to you all individually, but I think you misunderstand me. I'm just saying the America as you have known it over the last twenty years is done. Everyone has their time in the sun, and for America, that time is over.

200+ years of history hasn't had the threat of a dominant global superpower willing to do for a dime what an American will do for a dollar. If China wasn't in the picture, there would be no question that America would bounce back.

Luckily, sort of, the average middle class American probably won't be too greatly affected. Since you've been getting hung high and dry by the upperclass for the last 25 years. The only people who'll actually feel the pinch is the working man who has to pay extra for his goods to restock the vault of the asset man.

The real hope is that the Saudi's don't pull the Trillion dollars that has been propping up the US economy for the last ten or so years.

There is the key. The fact that we have the largest nuclear arsenal in the world still doesn't hurt either....
                    “War is peace.
                    Freedom is slavery.
                    Ignorance is strength.”
                    ― George Orwell

Comment

The working man also applies to the so-called "middle-class" also, IMO.
                      I'm not sure what the definition of middle-class is in the US these days, but many were living on false prosperity (credit).

Good point, leave1 about those who'll pay extra for their goods

The currency reserves, correct? Petro dollars and Oil Bourse.

Comment

No, it's a 1 trillion dollar economic debt owned to the Saudi's by America. A cynic would argue that the current economic downturn is a deliberate attempt to bankrupt certain companies, thus causing an effective seizure of the debt, and total avoidence of the biblically large interest repayment.

Keep in mind that those same Saudi's have around 3 or 4 trillion invested in Asia. The Saudi's could bail America out tomorrow if they wanted. They have the wealth to do so, but no smart man throws good money after bad.

Comment

No, it's a 1 trillion dollar economic debt owned to the Saudi's by America.
                          Thanks for the clarification, leave.

Is the $1 Trillion dollar economic debt, in T-bills?

Comment

interested to know who here believes the BS that the USA is not in a 3 trillion war.

Comment

Originally posted by sargent View Post
                              Thanks for the clarification, leave.

Is the $1 Trillion dollar economic debt, in T-bills?
                              No, it's just money Arabs have invested in financial institutions. Banks, investment companies, etc.. It's known as 'sovereign funds'.

Huge, huge political leverage is given to the Saudi's as a result of these investments, when you consider that the Saudi's in just investment capital alone is equal to 3% of Americas GDP. The Saudi oil earnings for 2008, pro-rata, were HIGHER than Americas entire GDP.

America is seen as the most poweful nation on Earth because it makes the biggest song and dance about it, but the Arabs run everything. They pretty much prop up the entire planets economic system with their oil money.

Comment

Working...
                              X