Eye Of The Beholder
    One
    The Shortest Straw
    Harvester Of Sorrow
    The Frayed Ends Of Sanity
    To Live Is To Die
    Dyer's Eve

Release Date: August 25th 1988

Recording Location & Date: One On One Recording Los Angeles, California January-May 1988

Producer: Metallica & Flemming Rasmussen

The Band:
    James Hetfield - Guitar, Vocals
    Lars Ulrich - Drums
    Jason Newsted - Bass
    Kirk Hammett - Lead Guitar

Singles:
    Eye Of The Beholder
    Harvester Of Sorrow

One
    Promos:

...And Justice For All
    Eye Of The Beholder
    One

Notes:
    The album suffered problems with it's production and mix due to the last minute decision of choosing Flemming Rasmussen as producer. Mike Clink was originally the producer but the band parted company with him in favour of Flemming Rasmussen once the backing tracks were laid down. According to Lars Ulrich, this had always been the plan but the result ended up with poor sound. The Japanese version was released with 1 bonus tracks "The Prince".

Jason Newsted: "Jason: A lot of the songs that were written for "...Justice For All" were written on the "Master Of Puppets" tour when Cliff was still in the band and stuff."

James Hetfield: "There was a lot of urgency to that material, but a lot of it was just wank - just us showing off. But that's where we were at that time."

Review

And Justice For All, referred to as Justice in this review to save my typing hands is without question a fucker of an album, a monster without apology, without remorse or repent. Marking the beginning of an era with new bassist Jason Newsted in tow, Justice had to make a name for itself.

Kicking off with the perfectly crafted Blackened you know that this album is not to be crossed, still a track that is frequently played live and still very much a fan favourite. Justice, the song is an epic, verging on progressive metal takes you through a full on metal journey, lyrics very political, lengthy guitar solos, a band really showcasing their talent. Eye of the Beholder follows this up with style although not perhaps the strongest track on the album a belter, regardless. A song quite honestly that found its home cut down in length on the Justice Medley played on the Black Album tour.

One is probably the track that stands out from the album the most and I’d imagine many peoples favourite track. The video made for the song helped consolidate that position even more. Featuring footage from the film Johnny Got His Gun. Essentially a song about war, inspiring vocals, a perfectly moulded song, with the right amount of quiet parts, heavy as fuck parts, the infamous double kick section and of course Kirks amazing solo.

Shortest Straw up next, one of my favourites off the album, a great thrash track, would be nice to see this song put in the set list now, that would be great to hear. Harvester of Sorrow a real stomper of a song, still a part of the setlist and still a favourite, all intact with evil vocals from Jaymz and strong chorus sing-a-long. Frayed Ends of Sanity another one of the more forgotten tracks of the album, but a classic nonetheless, really technical playing from all quarters growing into a really frantic mid section before rocking out till the end like a real treat.

To Live is to Die is a lengthy piece that has many uses of light and shade, a progressive beginning to a beautiful mid section before picking itself back up for the heavy end, with a spoken word part using some of Cliff Burton’s poetry this truly is a great track, Lars’ drumming as tight as a gnats arse, consolidated with great guitar work. Which of course takes us to the album closer, the mighty Dyers Eve, only just seen the light of day in 2004’s set lists. A true thrash metal frenzy, lyrics covering the topic of a child trying to survive in a world where strict parents reign, we may see some direct parallels between Jaymz childhood here, where Christian Science was the belief of his parents, something Hetfield had great difficulty coming to terms with.

Overall Justice is an incredible album, further defining their stance in the world of metal. Its only fault it could be argued is the production. Rather thin, largely ignoring the bass frequencies. It is an issue that the band has had with the album since its release in ‘88. Jason always claimed that the album didn’t feel too good for him because of this reason. Although he claimed that he was as much responsible for this as were the rest of the band. The next thing that people took issue with was the complicated arrangements and time changes that were thrown in all through the album, however, this seems to be what makes this album so unique and special. Justice is yet another Metallica album that stood the test of time and yet another Metallica album that showed the world what they were capable of. A classic album.

Olly Smith (what a gem!) 2004
    Attached Files
    Muscular Development Forum Rules :.

This Post May be found offensive & may contain offensive material, consider yourself advised.

Comment

METALLICA

The Black Album

Enter Sandman

Sad But True

Holier Than Thou

The Unforgiven

Wherever I May Roam

Don't Tread on Me

Through the Never

Nothing Else Matters

Of Wolf & Man

The God That Failed

My Friend Of Misery

The Struggle Within

Track List:
      Enter Sandman
      Sad But True
      Holier Than Thou
      The Unforgiven
      Wherever I May Roam
      Don't Tread On Me
      Through The Never
      Nothing Else Matters
      Of Wolf And Man
      The God That Failed
      My Friend Of Misery
      The Struggle Within

Release Date: August 13th 1991

Recording Location & Date: One On One Recording Los Angeles, California October 1990 - June 1991

Producer: Bob Rock with James Hetfield & Lars Ulrich

The Band:
      Lars Ulrich - Drums
      Jason Newsted - Bass
      Michael Kamen - Orchestration arrangement on
      "Nothing Else Matters"

Singles:
      Enter Sandman
      The Unforgiven
      Nothing Else Matters
      Wherever I May Roam

Sad But True
      Promos:

Don't Tread On Me
      Enter Sandman
      The Unforgiven
      Nothing Else Matters
      Wherever I May Roam
      Sad But True

Notes:
      Also known as "The Black Album" because of its black cover sleeve. The biggest selling album from Metallica. It was re-released on DVD in 2000

Lars Ulrich: "We went into the studio with the intent of making a real lively record that bounces off the walls. It should have gone quicker, in theory, than trying to get everything note perfect like we have before. But as usual with Metallica, all those theories and normality's go straight out the window.
      Review:

Heavy metal has steadily increased in popularity. Initially it was dismissed and ignored by music critics and the music industry. Radio airplay was rare. But while other offshoots of rock came and went, heavy metal just kept on going.

Metallica established themselves in the eighties playing heavy metal. They also played ballads influenced by Ennio Morricone's movie scores for Spaghetti Westerns. They were determined to do things their way in defiance of the music trends. Metallica explored extended song formats with varied time signatures when such things were shunned as being an indulgent excess of the seventies.

The Black Album released in the early nineties brought the band wide commercial success. It includes the classic tracks 'Enter Sandman', 'The Unforgiven' and 'Nothing Else Matters.' It also includes a sabre rattling song for the Gulf War era in 'Don't Tread on Me.' The song intro includes a few bars of 'America' from West Side Story to let us know that we shouldn't take the jingoistic lyrics too literally.

The lyrics to 'The God that Failed' are probably the most personal that James Hetfield has written. His mother was a devout Christian Scientist but her faith didn't save her from dying of cancer. Traditional medicine may have.

'My Friend of Misery' features a rare co-writing credit for the bass player, Jason Newsted. The bass is given more space in this song than elsewhere on the album.

After attaining success under their own terms Metallica then started playing the media game and became more mainstream. I don't have any problem with the band mellowing with age but some of their fans accused them of selling out.

A good example of how mainstream Metallica became is the concert they did with the San Francisco Symphony at the end of nineties. Michael Kamen provided the orchestral arrangement. He previously provided the orchestration for 'Nothing Else Matters' from the Black Album. The mix of Symphony and band worked out surprisingly well. The concert includes most of the band's best songs and is a good summary of their career. It is available as a video.

Assimilation into mainstream rock was confirmed by Metallica's inclusion in the soundtrack of the mainstream movie Mission Impossible 2. Getting into movie soundtracks is not surprising considering their associations with the prolific movie soundtrack composers Morricone and Kamen.

Metallica's legal battle against MP3 music sites on the Internet has been well publicised. It is ironic to see former rebels siding with mainstream recording companies battling to retain their profits.
      Metallica are among the best exponents of heavy metal in recent years. One of the criticisms often made of heavy metal is that it all sounds the same. Metallica has more variety in their music than most other metal bands. Every fan of heavy rock should have at least one Metallica album in their collection and the Black Album is their masterpiece.

by Bill Rendall

This Post May be found offensive & may contain offensive material, consider yourself advised.

Comment

METALLICA

6/2/2008

Release date has moved to July 15, 2008 in North America, July 7, 2008 in most of the rest of the world

As promised, June will see the re-release of "Master of Puppets" on vinyl . . . the retro summer continues! Following on the heels of "Kill 'Em All" and "Ride the Lightning," we dusted off the masters and MOP will come out in the same formats - a single disc at 33 rpm and a deluxe two disc version on 180 gram vinyl spinning at 45 rpm.
        Look for "Master" on vinyl to hit the Metallica.com Store and your friendly local record shop on June 17, 2008 in North America and damn close to that date in the rest of the world. You know the drill . . . we'll keep you posted here! And for those still following along, yes, "Justice" is up next . . . probably some time in August.

6/3/2008

Metallica Guitar Hero game . . . fact or fiction?

An all Metallica Guitar Hero game . . . fact or fiction? Idle internet gossip, wishful thinking, or the real deal? Let's just say that perhaps, just maybe, if you've already mastered "One" on GHIII there might be a pile of 'Tallica songs in your future.

More details later this summer . . .

6/11/2008

While we occasionally enjoy reading the various comments, rumors, speculation, reviews, gossip and all the good that the internet brings, rarely do we feel the desire/need to respond to the "blogosphere" . . . hey, everyone is entitled to have their thoughts and opinions, right? However, once we re-surfaced on Tuesday after a few weeks on tour in Europe, we were informed that someone at Q Prime (our managers) had made the error of asking a few publications to take down reviews of the rough mixes from the new record that were posted on their sites. Our response was "WHY?!!! Why take down mostly positive reviews of the new material and prevent people from getting psyched about the next record. . . that makes no sense to us!" So after a few rounds of managerial ear spank and sentencing everyone at Q Prime to 20 push-ups each, we figured why not take matters into our own hands and just post the links here on our site. Kerrang, Metal Hammer, The Quietus.

You see, we have maintained an "in the press" section here on Metallica.com for many years now, posting links to reviews of shows, album and DVD releases, and various other tidbits we've come across while surfing around. Some good, some not so good, but we put 'em all up . . . sort of the same way we treat our message boards on this site . . . welcoming all feedback.
        So in the spirit of keeping this section current, we've put as many of the reviews of the rough mixes of the new record up here as we could find. If we missed any, let us know . . . and in the meantime, we're always adding, so peruse at your leisure.

Click here for video.

Attached Files

Comment

from metallica's website:
          Metallica's version of "Remember Tomorrow" included on Maiden tribute disc from Kerrang!

Should be pretty fuckin cool. My 3 top fav are master of puppets, one, and welcome home (sanitarium) by the way.

Comment

What a great topic. I don't know how I missed this one. It's a really tough decision because I think there are so many choices from the Black album or older. Mine would be (in no particular order):

- Disposable Heros
            - Blitzkreig
            - Master of Puppets

And that's a friggen hard decision as I feel like I left so much out!

Comment

Four Horsemen
              Damage Inc.
              Ronnie

Comment

Site has a snippet of a new riff

http://www.missionmetallica.com/

Comment

I have only one thing to say "to secure for peace is to prepair for war"
                  Riff

Doing it one pound at a time!!!!

Comment

1.Enter Sandman
                    2.Master Of Puppets
                    3.Seek And Destroy

Comment

From the band's website-

For you collector types out there we just had to put together something next level when the new record comes out in the Fall . . . how about "Death Magnetic" in a coffin box? The special edition box will come out the same day the album does (we'll tell you when that is soon . . . very soon) and will of course include the full CD (duh!), along with everything next level cool relating to "Death Magnetic!" Seriously, there will be a CD with the demos of the songs, a DVD of even more "making of the album" footage not seen on Mission: Metallica, a t-shirt only available in this box, a flag, guitar picks, and a fold out poster along with a collector's credit card embossed with a code to redeem a free download of a special European show happening in September (yes, details coming soon!).

I heard this is gonna be pretty pricey. I'll just stick with the album. I can't wait for it to come out.

Comment

THX Lugo

i'll be getting it.. i have been collecting all their dvd's

Comment

METALLICA

Load

Ain't My Bitch

2 X 4

The House That Jack Built

Until It Sleeps

King Nothing

Hero Of The Day

Bleeding Me

Cure

Poor Twisted Me

Wasting My Hate

Mamma Said

Thorn Within

Ronnie

The Outlaw Torn

Track List:

Ain't My Bitch
                          2 X 4
                          The House Jack Built
                          Until It Sleeps
                          King Nothing
                          Hero Of The Day
                          Bleeding Me
                          Cure
                          Poor Twisted Me
                          Wasting My Hate
                          Mama Said
                          Thorn Within
                          Ronnie
                          The Outlaw Torn

Release Date: June 4th 1996

Recording Location & Date: The Plant Studios Sausalito, California May 1995 - February 1996

Producer: Bob Rock with James Hetfield & Lars Ulrich

The Band:
                          Lars Ulrich - Drums
                          Jason Newsted - Bass

Singles:
                          Until It Sleeps
                          Hero Of The Day
                          Mama Said

King Nothing
                          Promos:

Ain't My Bitch
                          Until It Sleeps
                          Hero Of The Day
                          Bleeding Me
                          Mama Said
                          King Nothing

Notes:
                          The cover of the album is original artwork entitled "Semen and Blood III". It is one of three photographic studies by Andres Serrano created in 1990 by mingling the artist's own semen and bovine blood between two sheets of Plexiglas.

Kirk: "Some of the tracks that are a departure from anything we've ever done show what we've been listening to for the past five years--like me being a total jazz and blues guy now. The blues influence is pretty evident. The jazz influence is more subtle, more in my phrasing than anything else. Of course, James listens to a lot of country, and we all listen to tons of late-'70s hard rock. We've not been afraid to let that side of us show--after all, all our roots are in late-'70s stuff like UFO, Deep Purple, Sabbath, Zeppelin, Aerosmith, Thin Lizzy."
                          Review

Following up the Black Album in terms of popularity and success was never ever going to be easy. In fact you could have almost predicted that it was never going to be greeted with such open arms despite how great it was. What Metallica did with Load was to go somewhere quite different, to a place that further proved the brilliance of the finest metal band on the planet.

Some of the first words that come to mind about this album are epic, big, strong and solid. The production is flawless the songs are filled with riffs and melody out of this world. Hetfield’s voice is as powerful as a bear, Hammett’s solo’s are inspired, Newsted’s bass lines rumble along like a herd of wilder beasts and Ulrich’s drumming as per usual provides the solid back bone and the heart beat to the music.

Kicking off with a monstrous double whammy of Ain’t my Bitch and 2x4 we are welcomed by what can only justifiably be described as classic ‘tallica. Big fat strong “FUCK YOU” songs. The House That Jack Built and Until it Sleeps, provide us with slightly more developed side to the songs with a great deal more depth and melody suitably mixed in with a little bit blues/southern rock feel. It’s here that some people found a problem saying that Metallica this time had strayed too far, I just say this, if they had simply recreated Master of Puppets on every album it would have been great for the first couple of listens, but would the album enjoy the longevity that MOP or indeed Load now has. I think not, I believe it would have had the fans in the long run up in arms saying that Metallica this time had played it too safe. Instead Metallica fucked with us, taking us somewhere else on the ‘tallicatrain.

King Nothing is often referred to as Sandman of Load, in terms of its structure I couldn’t agree more, the song itself however, is different enough to be a classic in its own right. Hero of the Day, Bleeding Me, Outlaw Torn and Mama Said give us a personal side that had never been demonstrated so well until now. Swelling melodies and the most powerful vocals that Hetfield could possibly deliver mean that the heaviness had taken on a whole new role, it doesn’t have to be fast to be heavy, just listen to the album closer and you may see what I mean.

Some of the songs later in the album such as Poor Twisted Me and Ronnie keep the southern rock feel flowing, Kirks solo’s are of great interest taking on a completely different stance and approach over the solid grooves of the rhythm section. Hetfield even experimenting vocally with a tube distortion in Poor Twisted Me. There is a lot more layers on this album compared to others, be they vocal harmonies or extra guitar lines they all help to create such an expansive soundscape, its difficult not to get sucked right into the music.

Load is quite simply a great album and by Metallica’s standard quite experimental. I absolutely love it. I’m a lover of every Metallica album there is. Load for me personally, just shows what Metallica are capable of outside of such frantic riffing of the likes of Shortest Straw, Metal Militia etc etc. If you want, big riffs, heavy grooves heartfelt lyrics, go listen to this album now, and if you didn’t like it before, for me, give it another go, this time you just might like it. Because they did deliver with this one big-fucking-time.
                          Olly "The Big Man" Blackbird 2003
                          Attached Files

Comment

Here are the song titles in the running order . . .

That Was Just Your Life
                            The End Of The Line
                            Broken, Beat & Scarred
                            The Day That Never Comes
                            All Nightmare Long
                            Cyanide
                            The Unforgiven III
                            The Judas Kiss
                            Suicide & Redemption
                            My Apocalypse

Comment

my 3 are :

invisible kid
                              dirty window pane
                              and Frantictictictictictock

nah just kiddin
                              i'll go with
                              blackened
                              fade to black
                              master of puppets

back in the day i used to think Kirk Hammett was God, i still have the action figures and a signed master of puppets album booklet

Comment

Never been much of a fan of Kirk's style.

Comment

Working...
                                X