Muscular Development Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ruptured Biceps

Default Ruptured Biceps

I have torn the tendon from the bone, and I will be undergoing surgery next Monday to have it re attached. The injury occurred 7 days ago, and Ive had the MRI etc. Not a pretty picture, or injury. My bicpes (right) has retracted about 2.5cm from the elbow. Surgeon has estimated a LONG recovery period after surgery, suggesting I won't be back to where I was at the time of the injury for about 12 months? Has anyone had this injury/surgery and share their recovery timeframe? Thanks.

Sounds bad bro. Sorry to hear it. I don't know anything about recovery, but if you are normal in 12 months, think of how great that will be, especially if you can continue to train!

Can you tell us how you came to injure yourself? What were you doing, and how was it wrong? If you don't mind, I'd like to know so I can avoid a similar mistake in future.

Layne Norton had a torn pec and surgery and he talks about the injury and his recovery on his question and answer thread in the nattie section.

First day back on the net since surgery last monday (29/11), and i'm realising how hard it is to type with one hand, and with the left ( i'm right handed!) According to the ortho surgeon, the surgery went very well. He said that most of the tendon tears are clean tears. He said mine ws a little trickier as mine was quite frayed, but still went very well. Stayed in hospital overnight and out the next day. walked out the hospital with just a dressing and bandage! After reading several injury boards/videos most people sound like they get casts for a few weeks. Anyway, post surgery pain was severe, and had a good supply of pain relief drugs (endone). today is the first day off. Today i can move fingers well, make a fist, slightly and slowly bend my arm partially. most painful thing i can do is turn my wrist either direction. But for 7 days post surgery, i think i'm doing well.

Pre surgery, the surgeon warned me that 1 in 6 may have some permanent numbness in the forearm area. Well, im one of those 6. large area in forearm is numb. Apparantly its one of the risks when they drill the bone. Still hoping it will return to normal.

i have my first physio session this week.

Now, as to how it happened. Mate, i wish it could be a really cool story, but its not. I was in to first week of contest prep (w/Layne) and while at work a co-worker needed an extra player for her tennis team, hey, i used to play as a kid long ago, and it was only friendly comp. i thought, shit i need to do cardio, why not have a bash.

my wife says, don't, your a bodybuilder, you're 110 kg, you'll injur yourself. i said, nah, itll be fun.

During the third game, i hit the ball, heard /felt a wet rip. sudden intense pain and i looked at the biceps and it was halfway up the arm. Straight to the local ER. We live in a smaller town, where at night there is no Dr in the ER unless called in by nurses. Absolutely hopeless, i heard the nurse tell the dr on the phone i think hes bruised his arm, it looks swollen. When she actually looked at it she realised no, its not swollen, thats my biceps, See, the left one is just as big. Stupid.

Anyway, no one could use the ultrasound machine, so a couple of days later we drove to our capital, got some real treatment and hooked up surgery.

Now its recovery time. im using a multi, fish oil, joint repair complex, bcaas and maintaining high protein. if the supps help, great. If not, oh well. Three weeks out the gym and im going stir crazy

Mate, i dont know how these things work. Was it from 20 years of training, wear and tear, was it ready to go and hanging by a thread to start with? i dont know. was it strong and healthy and 100% as a result of hitting a tennis ball? who knows!

I definitely need to pick your brain on this topic. Just got back this evening from the acute care clinic after rupturing the right biceps tendon near my elbow. I managed to do it while holding on to the handles doing somewhat heavy leg presses, go figure. Funny thing is that the pain is not too severe unless I rotate the forearm. Looking for suggestions on a good orthopedic surgeon in the SF Bay Area to schedule a consult on Tuesday.

Haven't been on the forum for a while. Mate, I hope it worked out for you. I certainly never want to go through that again. Post surgery pain was terrible. I re visited the surgeon on January 24 for my post surgery follow up and he gave me the go ahead to start rehab/very light training. He said he normally made sports people/athletes 6 months to re commence training. So here we are March 27 and the weights are getting better. Still very light, but up to a plate a side on bench, shoulder press, barbell rows etc, but still on 30lb curls. Can't feel the same contraction on my right biceps as I used to, but getting better. Still have numbness on inner forearm near the wrist.

Sounds very similar to my biceps tear. You can't mistake a complete rupture when you see your biceps halfway up to your shoulder and it doesn't move when you curl your arm. If you've had surgery - take your time coming back with training.!!

Turns out it was a ruptured distal biceps tendon. Had surgery at SOAR in Burlingame back in March to reattach the biceps. I know what you mean about the pain! I finally got the go ahead back in July to resume training but waited a full month before starting on my own (i.e. not in physical therapy sessions). I'm back at it too a full 6 months after my surgery. Weights are seriously lacking as is my general fitness conditioning, but I'm being patient with the recovery. I've experienced the same lack of contraction in the right arm biceps and I've developed this weird ache inside my forearm that limits what I can lift to around 15 to 20 lbs. All in all happy to be back training again!

Glad to hear your surgery went well. Well, its over a year now since surgery and training like a maniac again, however I'm still cautious with some things. I saw my surgeon for a 12 month follow up earlier in the month. Numbness has completely gone away. Still can't get a great contraction in the right biceps, and really have trouble with supinated curls. Surgeon reminded me how frayed the tendon was, comparing it to frayed rope end. If I can add any advice to anyone that has ruptured the biceps - See a surgeon ASAP.

So, 4 weeks ago on a Friday afternoon I go to train biceps. I had a shitty day & was very close to not training. But my training partner was there & I thought I'd get in there, get some anger out and train hard and feel better after training. I started with some light preacher curls, light weight, moderate reps and concentrating on form. Since I had torn my distal biceps on my right arm near two years prior, I have kept even my work sets moderate in weight. On my third set, my left arm just didn't feel right. On my tenth and final rep, I was curling up nice and slow, when I felt and heard a rip at my elbow. It was loud enough for my training partner to hear it. There was instant soreness, not pain though. I looked at my biceps to see if it was a complete tear, it wasn't as I could see it still contract. Although supination and pronation were difficult. I couldn't believe this shit. A distal biceps rupture at the elbow is rare enough, but shit, now on both arms?? I went and got some ice & went off to the emergency room. Once again they gave me two pain killers, gave me a sling and sent me on my way. I guess there isn't much they could do anyway. So I saw my GP the following Monday. I had my ultrasound, it showed a tendon tear not less than 50 percent. So I then saw the same surgeon that repaired my other tendon rupture & I was booked in the surgery. Surgeon says 50 percent tear is his marker for surgery. I just had the surgery on Monday, and he told me afterwards it was about 70 percent torn. One night in hospital with iv painkillers and out the next day. Holy shit the pain is intense. As with last time, there is no cast or sling, just bandaged, which I'd different from all the bicep tendon surgery I researched!! I asked the surgeon why it's not cast, and he wants movement to commence ASAP. So it's now 3 days post surgery & I can move my fingers slightly. Any movement of the arm is intensely painful. Now it's time do recover all over again. Keeping up with joint repair complex, vitamin c and have ordered cissus again. Anyone got suggestions re sups to aid in tendon healing?? This is a shitty injury!!

wow

bump for updates, that last post was crazy

I have never personally delt with this situation, but yours has been insane!

I wanted to just throw this out there, there's a Q&A with Dr, Michael Camp from 7-10pm Est on the Infinite Labs facebook page.
    https://www.facebook.com/InfiniteLabsSupplements

He has helped tons of people through some crazy stuff. He's a bodybuilder and a doctor. Talks the talk, walks the walk.
    Last edited by kennknee; August 30th, 2013 at 03:35 PM.

I just went through this. In the last five weeks I have torn the left biceps tendon from the bone and had it reattached. I am very concerned with how to strengthen the tendons to lessen the chances of this happening again. I am sure that my AAS usage is factor and I need to be educated on how to handle this.

Ahhh...sorry to hear that mate.....the effect of these setbacks is more mental than physical...I got myself dislocated elbow (right arm )...already i was training after a gap of a month and was looking for some serious bulking and this happened while i was returning from my gym and cab rammed into me from behind while falling i took most of the stress on my right arm which ultimately got dislocated....i tried to get up using my arm but wasn't able to...it took sometime to understand what really happened....once i figured that it is dislocation i said to myself " Here it goes now...Bulking ".......yes this is shitty injury...btw what kind of joint complex u r taking ?? i m looking to give Animal Flex a try...
    and yes I m also typing from left

Damn guy, a car hit you?! It is like I always say, things can always be worse. I am happy that you made it up, alive. As far as this being mostly mental, I don't think that is ever the case with me. I am the kind of dummy who wants to try to get back into action too soon, like the kid in a cast who is trying to play football. Lol. My body is always my limiting factor.

As far as supplementation, I have not used anything as of yet, but am investigating doing just that. I am trying to get more info at this time. I know that hGH is probably the best thing at this point, but I have never used it and was trying to hold off on that. I am reading up on TB500 and a couple others at this time. That one seems to be a miracle healer, but I am also interested in healing any tendon weakness and micro tears throughout my body, rather than just at the injured area. If anyone has any info to share with me on this topic, it is much appreciated.

Good luck on your recovery, Nick. Watch those cabs, buddy.

Quote Originally Posted by vanilla mandingo View Post
    Damn guy, a car hit you?! It is like I always say, things can always be worse. I am happy that you made it up, alive. As far as this being mostly mental, I don't think that is ever the case with me. I am the kind of dummy who wants to try to get back into action too soon, like the kid in a cast who is trying to play football. Lol. My body is always my limiting factor.

As far as supplementation, I have not used anything as of yet, but am investigating doing just that. I am trying to get more info at this time. I know that hGH is probably the best thing at this point, but I have never used it and was trying to hold off on that. I am reading up on TB500 and a couple others at this time. That one seems to be a miracle healer, but I am also interested in healing any tendon weakness and micro tears throughout my body, rather than just at the injured area. If anyone has any info to share with me on this topic, it is much appreciated.

Good luck on your recovery, Nick. Watch those cabs, buddy.
    Mental I mean..my doc's advice....the way he replied...when I told him " look I have to get back to my gym asap, tell me when i can start again"...he smiled and with-about to -laugh said "forget gym for now...nothing for atleast 2 months"......i got so depressed that I ended up searching professionals who faced injuries and still be able to stand up against those stupid docs like Chad Shaw
    http://www.simplyshredded.com/chad-shaw-interview.html....even Arnold got knee injury in 1972

Thanks, guy. I am going to read that before the day is over. It looks interesting.

That was an interesting read, Nick. Thanks. I had my first physical therapy session last week. I seem to be ok moving my arm around carefully. I am looking into using tb500, at this point.

Muscle Head

Hi,

I tore my bicep playing AFL yesterday! Went to emergency and having scans tomorrow and meeting surgeon Thursday to see damage.

Bottom of my bicep is gone. Friend had same injury - said post surgery, it's 12 weeks lifting a pen at the heaviest. Long road back, but better to start now!!!

Must follow physio advice.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast