Muscular Development Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Frank McGrath: On the Road to Recovery

Lightbulb Frank McGrath: On the Road to Recovery

Where in the world is Frank McGrath?

Hereceived his IFBB Pro Card in 2003, but we have only seen him compete as a pro three times since then.

When his name comes up, there is usually talk of a car accident or a torn triceps.

I tracked down Frank to see how heís doing, and what heís been up to lately.

Read on to see how his recovery is going, why heís competed so few times over the years, and what he says about competing againÖ

Last edited by Adina Zanolli; December 11th, 2010 at 07:06 PM.

AZ: You turned pro by in 2003 by winning the Super Heavyweight and the Overall at the CBBF Canadian Championships. To my knowledge, you have only competed as a pro three times since then. Why so few times?

FM: I have only competed three times as a pro due to personal issues, health, and injuries. I also did not have the guidance I needed, and truly wasnít mentally ready to get on stage.

I always trained my body, but I didnít train my mind. Without one or the other, you canít succeed.

I turned pro in 2003 at the Canadian Nationals.

As I was away from my hometown and getting ready to get on stage, I was unaware that my father had suffered a major stroke. My family had agreed not to tell me until after my show. They did not want me to be stressed.

After it was over, I contacted my family to give them the great news, only to get the shocking news of my father being in the hospital from a major stroke.

At this point, all I could do was go home and be with my family.

My father is my biggest fan and supporter; doctors told me that he stayed awake and fighting waiting to hear how I placed.

Once my father became ill, it really took a toll on my entire family. The gym really wasnít a priority at this point. For almost a year, we really stayed strong, together, as family, to support my father.

AZ: Youíre known for having a small waist, something not a lot of pros can boast. Is this important to you?

FM: Having a small waist is very important to me; it gives the illusion of bigger physique.

I always liked the old-school physiques, when every pro had a small waist, I like the shoulder-to-waist ratio that gives you a great v-taper look. This is simply my preference; the look I like.

AZ: I hear you tore your triceps. Is that correct? Did you have surgery, and how is that injury coming along?

FM: I tore my triceps tendon while training, days before the 2008 Arnold Classic.

Initially, I was misdiagnosed. Once I realized that it wasnít getting any better, I went to get a second opinion and learned that half my tendon was torn off.

At this point, I had surgery, but unfortunately the surgeon wasnít able to re-attach the entire tendon.

AZ: I also hear you were involved in a terrible car crash.

FM: On February 25 2009, a driver from oncoming traffic t-boned me on the driver side of my car.

The fire department had to use the Jaws of Life to get me out.

AZ: How long were you in the hospital?

FM: I was in the hospital for over a month.

AZ: Thatís a long time to be in the hospital. What kind of injuries did you sustain?

I had to have my arm stitched back together, as a huge piece of skin was missing. My lung was collapsed, and there was damage to my left shoulder. I lost over three liters of blood

My spleen was so badly damaged that it had to be removed. It could have ruptured inside me, and you can die within minutes if that happens.

AZ: How is recovery going?

FM: Recovery is going well.

I have most of my size back.

Iím back at the gym, and training is going really well.

AZ: When will we see you compete again, or will we?

FM: As for competing again, thatís a question I seem to get a lot!

2011?

I guess youíll have to wait and see!!

AZ: Whatís going on in your life outside of bodybuilding?

FM: Outside of bodybuilding, Iím a pretty laid back guy.

When Iím not training, I like to spend time with my girlfriend, enjoy dinners, and hang out with friends.

I'm a movie fanatic, and I've been known to play Xbox now and then, HA!

Last edited by Adina Zanolli; November 28th, 2010 at 01:08 PM.

Pro Contest History:

2009 - Tampa Bay Pro - 9th
    2007 - Iron Man Pro
    2004 - Toronto Pro Classic - 12th
    (2003 - Earned Pro Card @ Canadian Nationals)

Last edited by Adina Zanolli; November 28th, 2010 at 12:44 PM.

Click HERE to see MDís gallery of images for Frank.

Frank is not married, but he is in a long term relationship.

He has two pets: a Himalayan Persian cat named Oscar, and a Yorkie Poo named Teddy.

About taking that five pound Yorkie on walks, he says, ďI tell everyone heís my girlfriendís dog, but heís really ours, ha ha!Ē

He admits to playing tons of Xbox, and says, ďand I have to admit I am pretty good, LOL.Ē

He also says, ďI seem to have a talent for remembering quotes from movies. I pretty much know every scene from Rocky and any Arnold movie.Ē

Last edited by Adina Zanolli; November 28th, 2010 at 12:56 PM.

Another great interview Adina! Frank is def. a hardworker and dedicated bber. Wishing him a speedy recovery and looking forward to seeing Wrath back on stage in the near future!
    2015 IFBB 212 Vancouver Champion/2015 Olympian

Quote Originally Posted by Giant Killer View Post
    Another great interview Adina! Frank is def. a hardworker and dedicated bber. Wishing him a speedy recovery and looking forward to seeing Wrath back on stage in the near future!
    x2!

Frank seems like he's cool as hell. I'm glad I got the honour of seeing him train 3 summers in a row, whenever i'm home for the summer for university and training at the same gym he goes to.

wish frank the best and hopefully a soon in the trenches video with him!

Forum Leader: 18 and Over bigmikecox's Avatar

Good interview!
    SMOKE WEED EVERYDAY
    2016 NBA Champs...Cleveland Cavs

Good stuff right there!

Frank def has a lot of potential! Anyone can see that.
    Hope everything goes well in his recovery process...time to shine Frank!
    I don't knock on doors motherfucker I knock doors over. -Flex Wheeler

Adina rocks, Frank McGrath is a pretty cool guy.
    Reading his "Journey" blog on animalpak.com was very motivational.
    Thanks and good luck Frank.

(thanks Adina also)
    Sacrifice is everything.

Such an underrated physique. Theres maybe 3 pro's that I truly can say, yeah I'd like to look like that, if even only for a short time and Frank is pretty much at the top of my list. Amazing size yet really streamlined with NO GUT AT ALL, sick vascularity, biggest forearms in the history of the sport and really doesnt have any GLARING faults.

I first saw Frank at the Toronto Pro in 2004 and was shocked when I saw his shoulder to waist ratio. And his arms of course were crazy. After that I tried to keep track of what he had in store for his Pro career imo he had a lot of potential. But due to health issues and injuries that have slowed him down we havent got to see much of his as stated above. I wish you the best of luck bro and hope you work through your injuries and can get back on track to head back to the stage.

You guys mad when Frank is home, he trains at my gym? I see him all the time. Incline pressing 315 for a clean set of 10 (no homo).

Thanks, guys!

Going up next will be one of my favorite people, Kevin DeHaven!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast