Muscular Development Forums - Powered by vBulletin

View Poll Results: What you take in immediately after resistance exercise..?

Voters
419. You may not vote on this poll
  • A mix of protein hydrolysate (eg whey) plus high-glycemic carbs (eg dextrose, malto)

117 27.92%
  • Intact whey protein (eg WPC, WPI) plus high GI carbs

112 26.73%
  • Intact whey protein plus lower GI carbs (eg. oat)

40 9.55%
  • Whey hydrolysate or intact whey protein without carbs

53 12.65%
  • Essential amino acids + high-glycemic carbs

50 11.93%
  • Just regular food.. post-exercise shakes are for losers!

47 11.22%
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112

Thread: Post-Exercise Nutr/Supp

Quote Originally Posted by cstrong10 View Post
    so whats the purpose of putting dextrose and other carb forms in a post workout shake?
    That's a pretty good question. Why do you? Do you do it just because people say you should? Do you do it because you read scientific literature that shows why you should? Why?

I know I don't. I just go eat my next meal. If I know it will be longer than 30-45 minutes before I can eat, then I'll have a shake that has 20-25grams of whey with water or skim milk, and maybe a little bit of creatine.

Quote Originally Posted by cstrong10 View Post
    so whats the purpose of putting dextrose and other carb forms in a post workout shake?
    There is none. The carb source post workout really doesn't matter.

I use the VPX workout stack right now. http://www.nsupps.com/nsupps-stacks/...out-stack.html I like Shotgun's energy and the added protein is a plus. I'll usually only take the Synthesize if I can't eat a meal within 45-6o mins post workout. My workouts lately have been sport specific (football) so I do my workout and then conditioning either sled pulls or hill sprints so I like sipping on Power Shock during my workout. If I don't plan on doing the conditioning I'll usually drop the Power Shock and just take Shotgun pre and then my meal post.

I remember in college a local Milk Manufacturer gave our strength program free cartons of chocolate milk to use pre, intra, post whatever we wanted. Unfortunately the Fat Lineman always got it first so I never tried it (no offense to linemen lol). I know since then the school still uses Chocolate Milk and the Strength Coach has really liked it for the players.

This thread has been very informative! I learned alot and that is why I love this shit.

Quote Originally Posted by Ironhead1983 View Post
    That's a pretty good question. Why do you? Do you do it just because people say you should? Do you do it because you read scientific literature that shows why you should? Why?

I know I don't. I just go eat my next meal. If I know it will be longer than 30-45 minutes before I can eat, then I'll have a shake that has 20-25grams of whey with water or skim milk, and maybe a little bit of creatine.

Hey Man!!!!

Right on!!!!!!

I just eat within an hour. Usually roast beef, tuna or turkey sandwich and some mono and ice water.
    Most times I find that stupid people don't know they're fucking stupid unless you tell 'em they are.

You don`t Freeze Orals? then you Are Missing out.Just like the people who can`t workout why you should use dextrose and creatine immediately following your workout.

I go with WPC http://www.buybulkwhey.com mixed with powdered Gatorade and some raw oats. Sometimes I will nuke a yam, and grub it like an apple right after the shake. The taste is GOOODDD!

Dedicated Noob

25g Protein Isolate. No carbs. Then I eat a meal when I get home about 30 min later.

1 scoop waxy maize and 1 scoop protein powder. Full meal 30 minutes- 1 hour later
    All statements made herein are fictional and are solely for entertainment purposes

whey hydrolsate without the carbs

Kinda funny hearing people say that there's not much benefit to ingesting simple carbs with protein immediately post-workout. They must all be fat endomorphs with awfully slow metabolisms. In which case, they wouldn't benefit much from simple carbs.
    BIG CALVES MEAN EVERYTHING. . .

Here is a good post on page #1 by Geminon.

Quote Originally Posted by Geminon View Post
    WPC/WPI mix alone here. I see no benefits for me to add high GI carbs PWO. The research isnt convincing in that context to me (alot of over hype marketing to me). Plus Im not an ectomorph so extra cals are bad news for me. Why waste calories on Waxy Maze when I could eat REAL food something I LIKE during after if I was to eat a carb.

I think it was on superhuman radio where some expert (i forgetthe name) was like your not gonna burn 100G+ grams of carbs in a 1 hour weight training session so why take this HIGH calorie carb drinks all the time. Unless your doing a sport like say Baskletball/football etc where you at a pratice + lifting etc your not really using and needign those calories. to me this is confirmed with Dave Plaumbo's deit where he uses 50G of carbs a day at the least to keep you at ketosis but fueling glycogen stores so its not really lost. I say all that to say CARBS for the NON ectomorph I believe should be a IN vs OUT. The AVG lifting session ur not during much more than maybe 50-75G carbs tops so no need for MASSIVE loads of it.

Plus even on top of that Ive seen articles too that show the glycogen refill procoess doesnt JUST happen after workout but can keep going up until the next day.

The supplement market and magazines just make it seem like you lift and OMG UR SUPER CATABOLIC STOP IT buy my WHEY + WAXY MAZIE else your muscles will waste away and/or you wont grow.

I think thats just bullshit.

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112