Muscular Development Forums - Powered by vBulletin

View Poll Results: What you take in immediately after resistance exercise..?

Voters
419. You may not vote on this poll
  • A mix of protein hydrolysate (eg whey) plus high-glycemic carbs (eg dextrose, malto)

117 27.92%
  • Intact whey protein (eg WPC, WPI) plus high GI carbs

112 26.73%
  • Intact whey protein plus lower GI carbs (eg. oat)

40 9.55%
  • Whey hydrolysate or intact whey protein without carbs

53 12.65%
  • Essential amino acids + high-glycemic carbs

50 11.93%
  • Just regular food.. post-exercise shakes are for losers!

47 11.22%
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Post-Exercise Nutr/Supp

Quote Originally Posted by goforbroke View Post
    I'm starting to believe the High glycemic index carb thing is a little joke also. Reason being I decided to try it out this passed winter on my bulk. I definitely put on size, but I also put on the most fat ever. My PWO meal consisted of whey and pineapple slices. Obviously I stopped that immediately and now I just have whey with brown rice or grits.
    This could be why i have put on quite abit of fat from adding 50g of waxy to my post workout shake in the past mounth or two... i think i might have to drop it and just stick with the shake.....

I just wanted to say props to everyone who has posted on here. I love it that a lot of you guys are thinking outside of the box and questioning tradition and not just doing what everyone else does. I have a few things to add. I think post-workout is hugely important, BUT if the rest of your diet is where it should be it becomes less important. All of us know the importance of post-workout nutrition, but I am constantly amazed at how many people COMPLETELY NEGLECT carbs post-workout. Ask 9 out of 10 people at your gym and they will say the drink a shake post-workout. Follow it up with how many carbs they get post-workout and they will say that there are a few grams of carbs in their whey powder. My point is this, to those that aren't as educated adding waxy maize or simple sugars post-workout will pay huge dividends. Those people aren't as spot on with their diets and they need something simple and thoughtless. I am always looking for anything that can help me out, if I improve 1% in a year by being meticulous with something than it is a success. I respond very well to waxy maize, I take it pre/post workout and I can tell when I don't take it. We all have different metabolisms, different hormonal profiles, different diets, different training styles, etc. If one style was the best that's what everyone would to, but that isn't the case. It's all about what learning what works well for you.
    Nutrex Research
    Exercise Science BS, CSCS

I understand and honor everyone's different beliefs. But we all know it takes a certain amount of time for actual food to break down and enter the bloodstream. Unless your doing your homework and looking at the GI of the carbs and the in some cases fibrous types of protein (meat, fish, poultry, and of course eggs (yes I know they aren't fibrous)) We all should know the less work to break down these foods the faster they enter you intestines and absorb. You need fast and slow carbs, and the same goes for protein. Even if I pound a 500 to 600 calorie shake after training, I am hungry again about an hour and a half later and eat "real" food.

Personally I take my creatine / glutamine / ALA right after my workout and wait 10 min. Then I hit the post shake which is a 2:1 ratio of carbs to protein and a mix.

I am struggling to do the post workout Waxy or the NEW Karbolyn wait a bit then hit straight protein. Any thoughts / Ideas to this. I know a few people who do this, but I have the “old” school of thought tying me down.

There’s only 2 companies using the new supplement of the gods Karbolyn. Professional Supplements which is straight Karbolyn and then Sci-Fit’s Shockwave who has the unique combo with Creatine / Beta Alanine / L-Histidine / Glutamine / BCAA / HMB / Glucosamine? / NAC / and Vitamin C.

Quote Originally Posted by silverbackn View Post
    I just wanted to say props to everyone who has posted on here. I love it that a lot of you guys are thinking outside of the box and questioning tradition and not just doing what everyone else does. I have a few things to add. I think post-workout is hugely important, BUT if the rest of your diet is where it should be it becomes less important. All of us know the importance of post-workout nutrition, but I am constantly amazed at how many people COMPLETELY NEGLECT carbs post-workout. Ask 9 out of 10 people at your gym and they will say the drink a shake post-workout. Follow it up with how many carbs they get post-workout and they will say that there are a few grams of carbs in their whey powder. My point is this, to those that aren't as educated adding waxy maize or simple sugars post-workout will pay huge dividends. Those people aren't as spot on with their diets and they need something simple and thoughtless. I am always looking for anything that can help me out, if I improve 1% in a year by being meticulous with something than it is a success. I respond very well to waxy maize, I take it pre/post workout and I can tell when I don't take it. We all have different metabolisms, different hormonal profiles, different diets, different training styles, etc. If one style was the best that's what everyone would to, but that isn't the case. It's all about what learning what works well for you.
    . Agreed, find and do what works best for you.

Quote Originally Posted by silverbackn View Post

truth!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by BPT20 View Post
    . Agreed, find and do what works best for you.
    Yep, it is a constant learning process and following what other do is often times ineffiecient and ineffective. It amazes me how many people who are just parroting what they have heard and they can't base it on anything. It's all about trial and error.
    Nutrex Research

Quote Originally Posted by West2death View Post
    truth!!!!!!!!!
    Preach on brother!!! LOL!
    Nutrex Research

PWO consists of 1 scoop EAS Phosphagen HP Elite - 34g carbs from dextrose, 1 30g scoop of WPI/Whey Hydrolysate, 5g BCAAs, 5g Leucine, 5g tri-glutamine complex + 8oz water

70gr of wms + 45 gr wpi

one hour later i will have a complete meal with complex carbs and some lean protein.

the waxy maize works good for me, i was thinking about adding some glutamine and EAAs instead of the whey isolate but it's quite simple as it is and i don't know if it's worth to change it. my pwo shake tastes good so far

anyone care to give opinions on mine 1 scoop sp250 pre, sizeon during, 3 scoops xtend post

See that nice house down the street? Not there..

Quote Originally Posted by bighit17wolves View Post
    anyone care to give opinions on mine 1 scoop sp250 pre, sizeon during, 3 scoops xtend post
    You need some carbs post as well but it looks like you got the jest of it IMO.

well the budget is capped with that stack but i get liek 5-10g aminos pre from sp250 and 14.4 from xtend post and 30g from sizeon and i eat 45min after the xtend cool?

Been doing a 10oz baked russet potato with 1 scoop ON whey and 1 scoop ON casein along with 5g leucine right after workouts. I eat 2 hours later.

Also have 3 scoops Xtend during workouts with 3g CEE added in.
    MS - Human Sport Performance
    NSCA - CPT, CSCS

well the budget is capped with that stack but i get liek 5-10g aminos pre from sp250 and 14.4 from xtend post and 30g from sizeon and i eat 45min after the xtend cool?
    You need to get some fast acting or simple carbs in there asap after your wo's bro. Even some kool-aid, a soda, Gatorade or anything with 30-50grams of sugar will be better than nothing IMO.
    I use honey in my post-wo shake to help with this. I also suck down another 100+grams complex/simple carbs post wo but I'm bulking so that may not be the best option for everyone. Just drink a soda or mix in some sugar or honey in with your extend.

stack 1
    sp250 1 scoop pre
    sizeon during
    3 scoops xtend or (50 wpi??????)

stack 2
    sp250 pre
    1 serv Universal storm
    35g WMS
    3scoop xtend post or (50G WPI????????)
    35g WMS
    1 serv Storm
    IDEAS OR COMMENTS WELCOME

stack 1
    sp250 1 scoop pre
    sizeon during
    3 scoops xtend or (50 wpi??????)

stack 2
    sp250 pre
    1 serv Universal storm
    35g WMS
    3scoop xtend post or (50G WPI????????)
    35g WMS
    1 serv Storm
    IDEAS OR COMMENTS WELCOME
    Stack two all the way...I would however just use the Xtend first thing in the morning and go with the WPI post. My 2 cents

and you know what stack 2 is cheaper my thoughts too!!!!1

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast