Muscular Development Forums - Powered by vBulletin

View Poll Results: What you take in immediately after resistance exercise..?

Voters
419. You may not vote on this poll
  • A mix of protein hydrolysate (eg whey) plus high-glycemic carbs (eg dextrose, malto)

117 27.92%
  • Intact whey protein (eg WPC, WPI) plus high GI carbs

112 26.73%
  • Intact whey protein plus lower GI carbs (eg. oat)

40 9.55%
  • Whey hydrolysate or intact whey protein without carbs

53 12.65%
  • Essential amino acids + high-glycemic carbs

50 11.93%
  • Just regular food.. post-exercise shakes are for losers!

47 11.22%
Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Post-Exercise Nutr/Supp

I have to say honestly that since I added carbs pwo it did change a lot.

I not only put on more mass and got stronger but I got quality mass as well.

I used to be ignorant and just drank whey pwo as I thought it was what I should do having carbs with solid meals then I experimented with my diet and put my carb intake around workout mostly wow what a huge change that has been.

I do not go crazy though pwo has 2 meals for me:
    Immidiatley after
    1. 25g vitargo, dextrose or maltodextrin with purple wraath or growth factor and creatine, sometimes I had stuff like regeneration x or something similar.
    30 minutes after
    2. usually oats 60g, potato 100g, some fruit 50g and cinamon plus a whey shake usually 1.5-2 scoops.

An hour later I usually have a solid food meal depending on how much I train and what do I want to acheive, and if I have other sport activities later on I have this meal with or without carbs.

Btw a sports medicine doctor told me to have carbs pwo as otherwise your body will not be able to deal with proteines efficiently pwo, he said that the body will try to change protein into energy not muscle building aminos.

Mix of protein and carbs!

i keep it simple, ON Glycomaize 2 scoops and 50g protein!

but what happens if u workout late? then what about the carbohydrates affecting ur fat.

Spotter

Quote Originally Posted by bigdaddyweave View Post
    40 grams of waximaize and 10 grams creatine and 5 grams glutamine. I also have some protein about 30 minutes after that.
    what is waximaize. what company makes it?

I do a mix of BCAA/EAA then 30 min later food.

Amateur Threat

Karbolyn
    One Scoop
    It is tasty...my favorite part of training lol

Banned

i take food 1 hour before

I do a pre and post workout meal.

Pre workout is 481 cals, (47g P; 35g C; 17g F)
    Post workout is 633 cals (50g P; 70g C; 17g F)

High gly, low gly doesn't matter. Just eat the carbs. Most of this in whole food.

Come on boyz eat up and feed those muscles! You're not letting a 130 lb girl out eat you are you? LOL!

If i dont have a shake with some oats in it i will down a steak/potato or rice.

Right after workout: 40g waxy maize, 10 g O.N. BCAAs

Starting tomorrow I'm adding:
    Half hour later: 40g dextrose, 35g whey protein isolate

I never ever practiced any Post or Pre workout nutrition but just eat the next meal up on my plan depending on when I train and that means ALL 3 macros in every meal as they all have a nutritional designation including fat.

THANK GOD I started long before all this new fangled PRE/POST WO stuff was concocted.....
    TRAIN HARD AND WIN EASY!!!
    Co-Promoter of the NPC "Royal Palm Classic"

I feel that the results are what counts, so Tipsta's avatar shows me he's likely doing more than a few things right. Regardless, I will mention any changes (good or bad) this second pwo shake provides.

My usual is four scoops cytogainer mixed with 2 tablespoons olive oil, 16oz milk and an extra tablespoon of glutamine (cyto already contains glutamine and some creatine). This concoction is over 1000 calories as well.

Or sometimes Im not in the fucking mood for a shake so Ill hit a huge meal or buffet. Which is very high carb and calorie. A post workout meal for me can range from 1500-2500 calories and 70-130 grams of protein. Because of my metabolism (super fast) and all the training and caffiene taken ontop of that, I dont focus on eating clean. I seem to grow better on whole milk and greasy italian buffets from time to time. Though when I eat most of my meals at home its cleaner, but not that clean.

KILL THAT SHIT!!

Quote Originally Posted by jhulmi View Post
    Yes and carbs in recovery drink are especially good also for those doing another gym session same day or sprinting etc (at least if you do not get carbs soon from the normal meals soon). For muscle protein synthesis response they are not important as was shown by Rene Koopman in AJP last year.
    For me, I take carbs in for growth. I need high carbs to have any chance at growth. Seems more so then protein in my case. Seem to grow a hell of alot better eating high saturated fats too.

For energy Ill just take some stims

Quote Originally Posted by silverbackn View Post
    I just wanted to say props to everyone who has posted on here. I love it that a lot of you guys are thinking outside of the box and questioning tradition and not just doing what everyone else does. I have a few things to add. I think post-workout is hugely important, BUT if the rest of your diet is where it should be it becomes less important. All of us know the importance of post-workout nutrition, but I am constantly amazed at how many people COMPLETELY NEGLECT carbs post-workout. Ask 9 out of 10 people at your gym and they will say the drink a shake post-workout. Follow it up with how many carbs they get post-workout and they will say that there are a few grams of carbs in their whey powder. My point is this, to those that aren't as educated adding waxy maize or simple sugars post-workout will pay huge dividends. Those people aren't as spot on with their diets and they need something simple and thoughtless. I am always looking for anything that can help me out, if I improve 1% in a year by being meticulous with something than it is a success. I respond very well to waxy maize, I take it pre/post workout and I can tell when I don't take it. We all have different metabolisms, different hormonal profiles, different diets, different training styles, etc. If one style was the best that's what everyone would to, but that isn't the case. It's all about what learning what works well for you.

Agreed. I dont buy into all the bullshit put out there. I know for me, what works. Getting in the fucking nutrients at the end of 24 hours. All that fucking matters. I take shakes after workout sometimes for the wishful thinking, but ultimately I dont buy into it. Its a good time for me to take a shake though, cuz I can cram it in, and be hungry for a large meal an hour later. The carbs in my shake are just so I can get in my fucking carbs by the end of the day.

Quote Originally Posted by Walking Beast View Post
    For me, I take carbs in for growth. I need high carbs to have any chance at growth. Seems more so then protein in my case. Seem to grow a hell of alot better eating high saturated fats too.

For energy Ill just take some stims

This is true for most true drug free bodybuilders as we dont have anabolics at work which are very osmotic, filling the muscle with large amounts of flluid. We need to create a drug like atmosphere within ourselves to expect true drug like results. CarboHYDRATES do exactly that. Hydrate the muscle with larger amounts of fluid and glycogen.

Saturated fats will help keep our natural hormones at peak by not allowing our cholesterol to get too low.

200 to 220 has shown maximum production of hormones in athletes.

Todays Cholesterol #'s are based around prescribing drugs that lower cholesterol as well as sedentary people.
    TRAIN HARD AND WIN EASY!!!
    Co-Promoter of the NPC "Royal Palm Classic"

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast