Muscular Development Forums - Powered by vBulletin

View Poll Results: What you take in immediately after resistance exercise..?

Voters
419. You may not vote on this poll
  • A mix of protein hydrolysate (eg whey) plus high-glycemic carbs (eg dextrose, malto)

117 27.92%
  • Intact whey protein (eg WPC, WPI) plus high GI carbs

112 26.73%
  • Intact whey protein plus lower GI carbs (eg. oat)

40 9.55%
  • Whey hydrolysate or intact whey protein without carbs

53 12.65%
  • Essential amino acids + high-glycemic carbs

50 11.93%
  • Just regular food.. post-exercise shakes are for losers!

47 11.22%
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Post-Exercise Nutr/Supp

Quote Originally Posted by B Unit View Post
    I feel that the results are what counts, so Tipsta's avatar shows me he's likely doing more than a few things right. Regardless, I will mention any changes (good or bad) this second pwo shake provides.
    When I read some of these PWO meals I cringe thinking to myself....These people are truely anorexic.......

Each meal should be exactly the same macro makeup as every other one of the day and if you can eat a larger meal after training it only means your other meals were too small.

There are some days I choke down my meal then train and need to wait several hours after training to have room in my stomach for any other food. In fact yesterday I waited till 4:00 PM to eat my first meal because I was so dam full from all weeks eating.

You need to ask yourselves if I stopped training would I gain any weight from just the food I eat and by reading some of these macros Id say HELL NO!!!!!!

I'm 165 LBM and my macros are 55 pro 85 carbs 20 fat ....everymeal

One TBS of oil is 14 grams and if anybody thinks one little TBS could get a cavity fat let alone an entire body they need a psychiatrist not a nutrtionist...
    TRAIN HARD AND WIN EASY!!!
    Co-Promoter of the NPC "Royal Palm Classic"

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by Tipsta View Post
    When I read some of these PWO meals I cringe thinking to myself....These people are truely anorexic.......

Each meal should be exactly the same macro makeup as every other one of the day and if you can eat a larger meal after training it only means your other meals were too small.

There are some days I choke down my meal then train and need to wait several hours after training to have room in my stomach for any other food. In fact yesterday I waited till 4:00 PM to eat my first meal because I was so dam full from all weeks eating.

You need to ask yourselves if I stopped training would I gain any weight from just the food I eat and by reading some of these macros Id say HELL NO!!!!!!
    I have just recently took on an identical approach to what Tip mentions here. Using a simple 6 meals a day every day meal plan, eating every 3 hours or so where the carbs, fats and proteins are the same in every meal (my exception is post workout and before bed at the advice of both Myth and Future).

Otherwise all my meals are 60-80 grams carbs, 50 grams protein and 20 grams fats. Carbs flux with what muscle groups I train and or if I train at all that day.

This way I have way more daily flexibility in my meal food choices as long as my meal macros add up, then my daily totals add up. Its those daily totals week after week that make or break results, not one simple overanalyzed post workout shake with 20+ different supplements added in.
    MS - Human Sport Performance
    NSCA - CPT, CSCS

Protein shake with a little rice. Got to have my rice.

This is true for most true drug free bodybuilders as we dont have anabolics at work which are very osmotic, filling the muscle with large amounts of flluid. We need to create a drug like atmosphere within ourselves to expect true drug like results. CarboHYDRATES do exactly that. Hydrate the muscle with larger amounts of fluid and glycogen.

Saturated fats will help keep our natural hormones at peak by not allowing our cholesterol to get too low.

200 to 220 has shown maximum production of hormones in athletes.

Todays Cholesterol #'s are based around prescribing drugs that lower cholesterol as well as sedentary people.

Agreed. I dont know the science behind it, but you sure seem fuckin knowledgable. I just know from trial and error what works for ME and what doesnt. Much respect.

Keep KILLIN that shit!!!

Obviousy you are wasting your time if your food isn't right, but I also find it short sided to not take advantage of the improvements in science and supplementation. Eating 6 meals the same size is inefficient. Your insulin sensitivity will suffer and consequently your growth.
    Nutrex Research
    Exercise Science BS, CSCS

I say food. Roast Beef or turkey on a regular tortilla with mayo.

Mayo gets such a bad rap. Oh, No!!!! 10 grams of fat per serving...............but only 1.5 are saturated and the rest is mostly soybean oil, the main component which is loaded with ALA and "good" fats.

Arnold was onto something, even way back in his day.

Read up. He espoused mayo as a great source of fats.

Food rules.

Quote Originally Posted by Walking Beast View Post
    Agreed. I dont know the science behind it, but you sure seem fuckin knowledgable. I just know from trial and error what works for ME and what doesnt. Much respect.

Keep KILLIN that shit!!!
    Much respect to you for doing exactly what you do and not what you hear and read to do as its opposite of what you found to be right!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by oregonpanthers View Post
    I have just recently took on an identical approach to what Tip mentions here. Using a simple 6 meals a day every day meal plan, eating every 3 hours or so where the carbs, fats and proteins are the same in every meal (my exception is post workout and before bed at the advice of both Myth and Future).

Otherwise all my meals are 60-80 grams carbs, 50 grams protein and 20 grams fats. Carbs flux with what muscle groups I train and or if I train at all that day.

This way I have way more daily flexibility in my meal food choices as long as my meal macros add up, then my daily totals add up. Its those daily totals week after week that make or break results, not one simple overanalyzed post workout shake with 20+ different supplements added in.

Your problem is you go from one extereme to the other. Either its zero fat and enough carbs to feed a cavity or its extreme overkill. Is that 50 grams of protein including the protein from your carbs? Because thats way too much protein with those carbs and fats. Carbs and fats dictate the need for protein. My protein servings are only 30 to 35 grams and the rest is from the protein in the carbs which is why I love oats and pasta. They save me money on protein powder...

Quote Originally Posted by silverbackn View Post
    Obviousy you are wasting your time if your food isn't right, but I also find it short sided to not take advantage of the improvements in science and supplementation. Eating 6 meals the same size is inefficient. Your insulin sensitivity will suffer and consequently your growth.
    Actually this will keep your blood sugar quite stable which leads to less highs and lows and also limits the output of insulin since the more insulin secreted the less years we live. I like Duchaines breakdown best which is what I really use and thats divide carbs evenly over each meal. Take your last one and cut it in half and add it to your PWO meal. This gives you your increased insulin production after training as well as lessens it for sleep.

However freaks like you who eat 1000 grams carbs are very rare.

12 oz sweet potato w/ 1 tbs of honey and sprinkled cinamon
    10 oz of chicken breast
    1 scoop of whey in 12 oz of whole milk.

money.
    Teen NPC competitor.

Writer/promoter
    JackedWithoutJuice.com

Much respect to you for doing exactly what you do and not what you hear and read to do as its opposite of what you found to be right!!!!!
    Agreed brother. Got to burn your own path, adapt, and force shit to happen. No other way!!

KEEP KILLIN THAT SHIT!!

Quote Originally Posted by wakingmalice View Post
    12 oz sweet potato w/ 1 tbs of honey and sprinkled cinamon
    10 oz of chicken breast
    1 scoop of whey in 12 oz of whole milk.

money.
    Thats exactly right. A waste of money!!! That equates to close to 90 grams of protein and even Ronnie Coleman couldnt use that much.

Actually this will keep your blood sugar quite stable which leads to less highs and lows and also limits the output of insulin since the more insulin secreted the less years we live. I like Duchaines breakdown best which is what I really use and thats divide carbs evenly over each meal. Take your last one and cut it in half and add it to your PWO meal. This gives you your increased insulin production after training as well as lessens it for sleep.

However freaks like you who eat 1000 grams carbs are very rare.
    I knew you would make me explain this in further detail...lol

I do agree with Duchaine's breakdown, that was essentially my point.

I also failed to mention that it is dependant on the amount of carbs you're consuming at each meal. If you're eating 20 at each meal your insulin sensitivity will remain high, if you're eating 80 then your insulin sensitivity will suffer. I am a big believer in carb cycling in the off-season to keep your sensitivity high. Damn, you have a good memory. I did use to put down a 1,000g's of carbs a day, but I learned from that. I got stuck at the same spot every off-season, I also didn't feel very good eating like that because my blood sugar was a mess. I time my carbs now and stay very low GI most of the time, a lot of ezekiel bread and more fats. I hit the waxy maize hard around my workouts and I respond very well to it. I used to eat a ton of carbs and get watery, not fat fat, but smooth and watery. I was getting so watery because my insulin sensitivity was poor and I had no ability to grow. I've refined my approach a ton since then. I will never be a heavy bulker in the off-season again, it's bad news. The leaner you stay the better your body responds to the calories you feed it. Kind of off topic, but aren't I always....lol.
    Nutrex Research

Quote Originally Posted by candidate View Post
    define "use"

also... think about "digestion rate"
    LOL....um.... Digest and assimilate?

I said it a thousand times so heres 1001.....Its not the casrbs that get people fat offseason its the protein as it has no place to store in excess as carbs do in the muscle, liver as well as blood. Not to mention every minute that passes we use a bit. The body is like a leaky bucket when it comes to carbs.

I knew you would make me explain this in further detail...lol

I do agree with Duchaine's breakdown, that was essentially my point.

I also failed to mention that it is dependant on the amount of carbs you're consuming at each meal. If you're eating 20 at each meal your insulin sensitivity will remain high, if you're eating 80 then your insulin sensitivity will suffer. I am a big believer in carb cycling in the off-season to keep your sensitivity high. Damn, you have a good memory. I did use to put down a 1,000g's of carbs a day, but I learned from that. I got stuck at the same spot every off-season, I also didn't feel very good eating like that because my blood sugar was a mess. I time my carbs now and stay very low GI most of the time, a lot of ezekiel bread and more fats. I hit the waxy maize hard around my workouts and I respond very well to it. I used to eat a ton of carbs and get watery, not fat fat, but smooth and watery. I was getting so watery because my insulin sensitivity was poor and I had no ability to grow. I've refined my approach a ton since then. I will never be a heavy bulker in the off-season again, it's bad news. The leaner you stay the better your body responds to the calories you feed it. Kind of off topic, but aren't I always....lol.

I see said the blind man as he picked up his hammer and saw........

I must agree here a bit because I find the same thing and its more due to the fact we are OVER saturating the muscle and in order for it to retain a GREATER load we must empty it on occasion very much like certain batteries that need to be drawn of all power BEFORE they can achieve a full load.

I see said the blind man as he picked up his hammer and saw........

I must agree here a bit because I find the same thing and its more due to the fact we are OVER saturating the muscle and in order for it to retain a GREATER load we must empty it on occasion very much like certain batteries that need to be drawn of all power BEFORE they can achieve a full load.
    I couldn't have said it better myself.
    Nutrex Research

I couldn't have said it better myself.
    This is where the arguement of fasting would come into play. This as well does not need to be an all or nothing protocol/tecnique. Sometimes just fasting from one macro like carbs or even protein when needed is very effective.

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast