Muscular Development Forums - Powered by vBulletin

View Poll Results: What you take in immediately after resistance exercise..?

Voters
419. You may not vote on this poll
  • A mix of protein hydrolysate (eg whey) plus high-glycemic carbs (eg dextrose, malto)

    117 27.92%
  • Intact whey protein (eg WPC, WPI) plus high GI carbs

    112 26.73%
  • Intact whey protein plus lower GI carbs (eg. oat)

    40 9.55%
  • Whey hydrolysate or intact whey protein without carbs

    53 12.65%
  • Essential amino acids + high-glycemic carbs

    50 11.93%
  • Just regular food.. post-exercise shakes are for losers!

    47 11.22%
Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
Results 86 to 102 of 199

Thread: Post-Exercise Nutr/Supp

  1. #86
    Bro Scientist silverbackn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Dallas
    Posts
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tipsta View Post
    This is where the arguement of fasting would come into play. This as well does not need to be an all or nothing protocol/tecnique. Sometimes just fasting from one macro like carbs or even protein when needed is very effective.
    I agree totally. It's about knowing when you have grown stagnant and then pulling back on the appropriate macro so your body responds again. The bad part is that I think most take the opposite approach and try to force even more down which puts them further in the whole. Our bodies are extremely efficient at maintaining homeostasis and you have to work counter to that to keep your body from knowing what you're going to do before you do it.
    Nutrex Research
    Exercise Science BS, CSCS

  2. #87

    Default Doing what I am told....

    Quote Originally Posted by Tipsta View Post
    Your problem is you go from one extereme to the other. Either its zero fat and enough carbs to feed a cavity or its extreme overkill. Is that 50 grams of protein including the protein from your carbs? Because thats way too much protein with those carbs and fats. Carbs and fats dictate the need for protein. My protein servings are only 30 to 35 grams and the rest is from the protein in the carbs which is why I love oats and pasta. They save me money on protein powder...

    I just do what Layne tells me to do, then I tell him how its working, then he adjusts things as needed. Simple plan really. Its worked for MANY others and I am sure it will work for me as well.
    MS - Human Sport Performance
    NSCA - CPT, CSCS

  3. #88
    Bro Scientist Tipsta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Ft. Myers Florida
    Posts
    5,943

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by oregonpanthers View Post
    I just do what Layne tells me to do, then I tell him how its working, then he adjusts things as needed. Simple plan really. Its worked for MANY others and I am sure it will work for me as well.

    Well its about time you got you shat together!!!

    I thank God everyday I was introduced to this sport long before the advice was geared towards the beach body/six pack abs thing. When I began the only thing you ever read or heard from anyone was advice on growing massive muscle. Competing or cutting was something 5% of guys in the gyms did. Today guys join a gym and pick a show all in the same day.

    You cant widdle a toothpick!
    TRAIN HARD AND WIN EASY!!!
    Co-Promoter of the NPC "Royal Palm Classic"

  4. #89
    Behemoth johngorman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Bolivar, Mo.
    Posts
    1,507

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wakingmalice View Post
    12 oz sweet potato w/ 1 tbs of honey and sprinkled cinamon
    10 oz of chicken breast
    1 scoop of whey in 12 oz of whole milk.

    money.
    do you seriously think your going to use all these calories? why waste like this when you could probably cut this in half and be much better off? Where did you come up with this?

  5. #90

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by johngorman View Post
    do you seriously think your going to use all these calories? why waste like this when you could probably cut this in half and be much better off? Where did you come up with this?

    I wasnt aware you had my body. I also wasnt aware you knew me and my goals whatsoever. Post workout nutrition is important. I take in 5000 cals a day. I do believe in some theories of nutrient timing, unlike most people here. Define much better off. Right now, things are going great and i'm curious to hear why they apparently must not be.
    Teen NPC competitor.

    Writer/promoter
    JackedWithoutJuice.com

  6. #91
    Iron Addict bhman6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    2,727
    Gender
    Male

    Default

    12 oz sweet potato w/ 1 tbs of honey and sprinkled cinamon
    10 oz of chicken breast
    1 scoop of whey in 12 oz of whole milk

    I'm going to agree....no natural bodybuilder needs this much food PWO



    why not split that up into at least 2 smaller meals, or add in more calories from carbs in that PWO time period while reducing protein and fat?
    MorphogenNutrition.com
    Facebook.com/MorphogenNutrition

  7. #92

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tipsta View Post
    LOL....um.... Digest and assimilate?

    I said it a thousand times so heres 1001.....Its not the casrbs that get people fat offseason its the protein as it has no place to store in excess as carbs do in the muscle, liver as well as blood. Not to mention every minute that passes we use a bit. The body is like a leaky bucket when it comes to carbs.
    Extra CALORIES can cause fat storage, extra protein in general converts to glucose then to ATP. considering I have yet to see a study putting a limit as to protein intake for bodybuilders who have undergone muscle hypertophy, then I see no problem. Although i agree on the note that 1000 grams a day is more then twice overdoing it, i'm also not going to argue the individual basis that a guy, such as Kyoshi Moody, has had success with it considering his individualism. Also consider my post workout meal is that, a meal. i wont eat again until before bed or maybe a couple egg whites and a bit of cottage cheese 3 hours later if i get hungry (hardly ever).
    Teen NPC competitor.

    Writer/promoter
    JackedWithoutJuice.com

  8. #93

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bhman6 View Post
    I'm going to agree....no natural bodybuilder needs this much food PWO



    why not split that up into at least 2 smaller meals, or add in more calories from carbs in that PWO time period while reducing protein and fat?

    why split it into smaller meals? why is, in your mind, fat bad for you post workout (although there isnt much fat in that meal..)
    Teen NPC competitor.

    Writer/promoter
    JackedWithoutJuice.com

  9. #94
    Behemoth johngorman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Bolivar, Mo.
    Posts
    1,507

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wakingmalice View Post
    I wasnt aware you had my body. I also wasnt aware you knew me and my goals whatsoever. Post workout nutrition is important. I take in 5000 cals a day. I do believe in some theories of nutrient timing, unlike most people here. Define much better off. Right now, things are going great and i'm curious to hear why they apparently must not be.
    look at you getting all pissy.

    seriously, do i really need to explain why? ask anyone on here with any kind of knowledge and they will tell you it's over kill. keep doing it if you want, but you are wasting calories and $$$. you are going to an extreme when you would be better off with a moderate approach. that's a meal you will see some dude weight 280 lbs on a body building DVD consuming. just because that's the shit you see in DVD's doesnt mean it's going to work for me and you. even if you dont get fat from eating a meal like that doesnt mean you are doing yourself any good. more is not always better. dont you think that much protein will be hard on your kidneys, or even blunt your system when it comes to protein synthesis? i think spacing your meals out if you are having 5000 calories is a much better way and having a larger PWO meal, not one that is that damn big! spread some of those calories to the other meals.

  10. #95

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by johngorman View Post
    look at you getting all pissy.

    seriously, do i really need to explain why? ask anyone on here with any kind of knowledge and they will tell you it's over kill. keep doing it if you want, but you are wasting calories and $$$. you are going to an extreme when you would be better off with a moderate approach. that's a meal you will see some dude weight 280 lbs on a body building DVD consuming. just because that's the shit you see in DVD's doesnt mean it's going to work for me and you. even if you dont get fat from eating a meal like that doesnt mean you are doing yourself any good. more is not always better. dont you think that much protein will be hard on your kidneys, or even blunt your system when it comes to protein synthesis? i think spacing your meals out if you are having 5000 calories is a much better way and having a larger PWO meal, not one that is that damn big! spread some of those calories to the other meals.
    Pissy? Grow up. I was in no way being pissing. just proving that individualism matters.

    Anyways. I'm not basing my diet off of DVD's. you apparently are. Kidney problems? If i was into internet argueing i would post studies showing that 400 g of protein a day is not a problem to the kidneys. excess of that, maybe. blunt protein synthesis? really? are you still one of those guys that thinks you have to eat 12 meals a day to get optimal synthesis? no study has ever shown that, or that it changes your metabolism either. i do eat several meals but it's because i cant stomach them all at once... If you can prove me wrong i'll be the first to eat my words. And i'm still waiting for why having a meal post workout is a problem..never understood that logic.
    Teen NPC competitor.

    Writer/promoter
    JackedWithoutJuice.com

  11. #96
    Behemoth johngorman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Bolivar, Mo.
    Posts
    1,507

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wakingmalice View Post
    Pissy? Grow up. I was in no way being pissing. just proving that individualism matters.

    Anyways. I'm not basing my diet off of DVD's. you apparently are. Kidney problems? If i was into internet argueing i would post studies showing that 400 g of protein a day is not a problem to the kidneys. excess of that, maybe. blunt protein synthesis? really? are you still one of those guys that thinks you have to eat 12 meals a day to get optimal synthesis? no study has ever shown that, or that it changes your metabolism either. i do eat several meals but it's because i cant stomach them all at once... If you can prove me wrong i'll be the first to eat my words. And i'm still waiting for why having a meal post workout is a problem..never understood that logic.
    who said 12 meals? you dont even know how much protein you are getting in your postworkout meal! and you havent answered how you even came up with that? it's extreme- name one person you know who eats a postworkout meal like that. but why even try to explain something that is so obvious to you? seriously man!

    and who said having a meal pwo is wrong? i never did. i eat a pwo meal everytime, i'm not arguing there. my point is that your pwo meal is overkill when your body would better utilize some of those macros spread out into your other meals. you think your body wont grow by having a few other meals that are a little bigger by taking away some of those calories and moving them around?

  12. #97
    Iron Addict bhman6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    2,727
    Gender
    Male

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wakingmalice View Post
    why split it into smaller meals? why is, in your mind, fat bad for you post workout (although there isnt much fat in that meal..)


    if you seriously need 5000 cals a day, why are you eating egg whites as snacks?

    smaller meals because there's no way you can properly utilize 100g protein in one sitting for maximum anabolism. yes you'll "absorb" it all, but you won't utilize it and at least half will be turned into glucose or fat anyways, so why waste the money on it AND take in such an inefficient source of glucose during the PWO period when blood required for digestion shouldn't be favored over blood flow to the muscles.

    10oz. chicken + 12oz. whole milk = a lot of fat, especially when coupled with the high carb content of the meal, especially adding in the honey and high insulinemic dairy.

    high insulin + high fat = fat storage
    MorphogenNutrition.com
    Facebook.com/MorphogenNutrition

  13. #98
    Behemoth johngorman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Bolivar, Mo.
    Posts
    1,507

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bhman6 View Post
    if you seriously need 5000 cals a day, why are you eating egg whites as snacks?

    smaller meals because there's no way you can properly utilize 100g protein in one sitting for maximum anabolism. yes you'll "absorb" it all, but you won't utilize it and at least half will be turned into glucose or fat anyways, so why waste the money on it AND take in such an inefficient source of glucose during the PWO period when blood required for digestion shouldn't be favored over blood flow to the muscles.

    10oz. chicken + 12oz. whole milk = a lot of fat, especially when coupled with the high carb content of the meal, especially adding in the honey and high insulinemic dairy.

    high insulin + high fat = fat storage
    he's not going to listen, he'll have to find out the hard way like the rest of us (by getting fat if he's anything like me)

  14. #99
    Iron Addict bhman6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    2,727
    Gender
    Male

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by johngorman View Post
    he's not going to listen


    I know

    guys in their late teens/early 20's know everything.....everyone knows that
    MorphogenNutrition.com
    Facebook.com/MorphogenNutrition

  15. #100

    Default

    let me address a few things.

    1. I dont know everything. never will. i know things, and i have seen success as of late when i changed my diet like this
    2. i'm 16-17% bodyfat via dexa machine. that is perfectly fine for me during offseason. will not go above that, i'm doing a mini cut in march
    3. I'm under the guidance of a top trainer. this is not just all coming from me. and his guys come in shredded as hell, so i'm not worried about offseason bodyfat
    4. No studies have proven what is the maximum amount of protein that can be absorbed for a bodybuilder.
    5. if you think you need to eat a whole bunch of meals for absorbtion purposes, talk to layne norton please
    6. breakfast and pwo are when i get my most carbs for the day, but i get carbs/fats/protein at every meal
    7. damn this list is getting big
    8. Bhman, amazing physique, good show my man
    9. i'm 17 231 lbs 5'11" at 16-17% bodyfat as of now,
    10. this is the science section and no proof has yet to be given about meal frequency or protein maximums. this is because they dont exist. i'm going off of what has made me grow from 166 12% bf to what i am now.
    11. there are around 90 grams of protein post workout. i did know this, and was never asked to tell anybody that.

    10 g in my milk
    20 in my whey
    60-65 grams in my chicken (depends on size, i rarely stomach 10 oz, more along 7-8)

    and like i said, this is a whole meal, and to the quesiton about egg whites, why not eat it? i cant see a problem there. it's more like a mini meal as i do believe in tapering carbs a BIT because although i believe its not THAT harmful to eat carbs before bed, i like to keep to fats because the body runs off of mostly lipids during sleep.
    Teen NPC competitor.

    Writer/promoter
    JackedWithoutJuice.com

  16. #101
    Iron Addict bhman6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    2,727
    Gender
    Male

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wakingmalice View Post
    let me address a few things.

    1. I dont know everything. never will. i know things, and i have seen success as of late when i changed my diet like this
    cool....I hope you don't take too much offense to the joke I made with johngorman

    typically you see in younger guys the "I know what I'm doing" thing more often than not

    2. i'm 16-17% bodyfat via dexa machine. that is perfectly fine for me during offseason. will not go above that, i'm doing a mini cut in march
    16-17 via DEXA is pretty decent for offseason

    DEXA's are awesome

    3. I'm under the guidance of a top trainer. this is not just all coming from me. and his guys come in shredded as hell, so i'm not worried about offseason bodyfat
    sweet potato + honey...my guess is you are a Davies guy (I'm right aren't I )

    I'm not one to bash a trainer/prep coach, but I know several people who prepped under him and an old friend of mine at age 19 was taking more drugs that I thought was possible to put into a human body....and that was all prescribed by said trainer....so take that advice with a grain of salt (or 1/4 yellow pepper and 5 banana pepper rings rinsed in warm water...I keed I keed)


    4. No studies have proven what is the maximum amount of protein that can be absorbed for a bodybuilder.
    true...although I specified that "absorption" and "utilization" aren't the same thing

    I could take in 150g at once and absorb it all, but not near all of that will be used for muscle building purposes

    5. if you think you need to eat a whole bunch of meals for absorbtion purposes, talk to layne norton please
    see above....and I'm sure that even Layne would say that 90-100g protein in one sitting for a natty is a bit overkill

    6. breakfast and pwo are when i get my most carbs for the day, but i get carbs/fats/protein at every meal
    what does the rest of the day look like?

    7. damn this list is getting big
    tis true, lol

    8. Bhman, amazing physique, good show my man
    much appreciated...although I'm nothing special in the grand scheme of things, especially with all the great athletes we have on the board

    9. i'm 17 231 lbs 5'11" at 16-17% bodyfat as of now,
    when I was 17 I was 160lbs. (I played soccer and was lean as hell)

    I can't imagine being 231 at 17


    10. this is the science section and no proof has yet to be given about meal frequency or protein maximums. this is because they dont exist. i'm going off of what has made me grow from 166 12% bf to what i am now.
    true, although you also can't be certain that it was the protein dosing vs. the overall caloric intake that caused the gain over time. my bet would be overall calories from all sources

    11. there are around 90 grams of protein post workout. i did know this, and was never asked to tell anybody that.

    10 g in my milk
    20 in my whey
    60-65 grams in my chicken (depends on size, i rarely stomach 10 oz, more along 7-8)
    and like i said, this is a whole meal, and to the quesiton about egg whites, why not eat it? i cant see a problem there.
    egg whites are great, but if you really need 5,000 cals, why not eat whole eggs instead?

    it's more like a mini meal as i do believe in tapering carbs a BIT because although i believe its not THAT harmful to eat carbs before bed, i like to keep to fats because the body runs off of mostly lipids during sleep.
    see above....whole eggs
    MorphogenNutrition.com
    Facebook.com/MorphogenNutrition

  17. #102
    Iron Addict bhman6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    2,727
    Gender
    Male

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by candidate View Post
    lets see here dudes... ponder this.... post workout hes taking ini one scoop of whey and 10 ounces chicken
    that scoop of whey is digested very quickly, and at only one scoop, and post workout, the entirety of that scoop will be utilized.

    now that ten ounces of chicken he is eating will be digested at a rate of aorund 5-6 grams per hour over time. his body cant use 5-6 grams per hour ? hell yes it can, it can use several times that amount fo protein.
    the whey would still take upwards of 3 hours to be fully digested



    now shut the fuck up

    spoken like a true 16 year old internet badass
    MorphogenNutrition.com
    Facebook.com/MorphogenNutrition

Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •