Muscular Development Forums - Powered by vBulletin

View Poll Results: What you take in immediately after resistance exercise..?

Voters
419. You may not vote on this poll
  • A mix of protein hydrolysate (eg whey) plus high-glycemic carbs (eg dextrose, malto)

117 27.92%
  • Intact whey protein (eg WPC, WPI) plus high GI carbs

112 26.73%
  • Intact whey protein plus lower GI carbs (eg. oat)

40 9.55%
  • Whey hydrolysate or intact whey protein without carbs

53 12.65%
  • Essential amino acids + high-glycemic carbs

50 11.93%
  • Just regular food.. post-exercise shakes are for losers!

47 11.22%
Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Post-Exercise Nutr/Supp

cool....I hope you don't take too much offense to the joke I made with johngorman

typically you see in younger guys the "I know what I'm doing" thing more often than not
    Nah man. i'm used to that kind of stuff. everybody at my age does think they know everything.

creatine is a steroid, after all. < sarcasm.

sweet potato + honey...my guess is you are a Davies guy (I'm right aren't I )

I'm not one to bash a trainer/prep coach, but I know several people who prepped under him and an old friend of mine at age 19 was taking more drugs that I thought was possible to put into a human body....and that was all prescribed by said trainer....so take that advice with a grain of salt (or 1/4 yellow pepper and 5 banana pepper rings rinsed in warm water...I keed I keed)
    Nope lol. not sure who Davies is. Jim Machak actually. jimmachak.com.

what does the rest of the day look like?
    1. 120 g of oatmeal, 1 scoop of casein, 3 whole eggs
    2. one tuna can, 2 pieces wheat toast
    3. same as post workout, except no whey or milk.
    4. peanut butter and jelly sandwhich
    5. 70 grams brown rice, 308 g of whole fat cottage cheese, 1 scoop whey (pre workout)
    6. post workout, you know this
    7. if i get to it, 120 g of cottage cheese, 3 egg whites
    8. 1 scoop casein (UP 2.0) and 10 oz of whole milk.

when I was 17 I was 160lbs. (I played soccer and was lean as hell)

I can't imagine being 231 at 17
    well it's not all that it cracks up to be. some girls dont like it, too big, women love it, too young, and everybody knows everything about what i'm doing wrong apparently even though i'm the most muscular in the area at my age (not cocky, just truth). An example of this, yesterday i got told by a kid that benches and curls more times then i eat in a day, that whey protein was going to shrink my dick and i needed to get off of it ASAP

egg whites are great, but if you really need 5,000 cals, why not eat whole eggs instead?
    Needing 5000 cals and optimal 5000 cals are different. even before Jim i had always believed in getting big in the offseason, no matter fat gain. It seems like at my age that since i can loose it so fast, why not take advantage of the quicker muscle gains that come from extra fat being stored. when i'm a bit older, this will change, especially being natural. But, those egg whites are jsut enough calories. I believe in eating a lot, but i count everything and i have enough fat for the day so i leave the yolks out.
    Teen NPC competitor.

Writer/promoter
    JackedWithoutJuice.com

well damn....guess I was wrong about your coach, lol

I love meal 4.....wish I could get away with that
    MorphogenNutrition.com
    Facebook.com/MorphogenNutrition

Quote Originally Posted by bhman6 View Post
    well damn....guess I was wrong about your coach, lol

I love meal 4.....wish I could get away with that
    i love it too... it will be gone soon due to cutting though

yes lol. do you know Jim? he is pretty confidential, as that is why i was hesitant to post his name.
    Teen NPC competitor.

Writer/promoter
    JackedWithoutJuice.com

PB and J rocks

not familiar with his last name off the top of my head
    MorphogenNutrition.com
    Facebook.com/MorphogenNutrition

Well during training I take some Vitargo mixed with Whey protein...your heart pumps 20% faster in training mode so pushing more nutrients to the muscles. When I get home after gym I take Whey Protein with some Kool aid for simple sugars and then wait an half hour to hour and eat my oats, eggs, casien protein with some cinnamon...so far it really help replenish my glycogen stores.

What I would like to try is to eat high carbs in the form of oats 1 day, drop the carbs the next day and eat some high fats and then drop the fats again and increase the protein the next day again...after that start all over again as our body gets resistant to the same amount of carb intake every day...

Quote Originally Posted by wakingmalice View Post
    Extra CALORIES can cause fat storage, extra protein in general converts to glucose then to ATP. considering I have yet to see a study putting a limit as to protein intake for bodybuilders who have undergone muscle hypertophy, then I see no problem. Although i agree on the note that 1000 grams a day is more then twice overdoing it, i'm also not going to argue the individual basis that a guy, such as Kyoshi Moody, has had success with it considering his individualism. Also consider my post workout meal is that, a meal. i wont eat again until before bed or maybe a couple egg whites and a bit of cottage cheese 3 hours later if i get hungry (hardly ever).

Ever hear of Atkins??? Insulin is the main factor in storing fat.

Extra protein will ONLY turn to glucose whjen carbohydrate intake is so limited that the body is forced to make Glucose from amino acids.
    TRAIN HARD AND WIN EASY!!!
    Co-Promoter of the NPC "Royal Palm Classic"

let me address a few things.

10 g in my milk
    20 in my whey
    60-65 grams in my chicken (depends on size, i rarely stomach 10 oz, more along 7-8)
    You can always tell the guy who justs posts bullshit because they go so far to the point its not even believable! Then they say.............Well I really do this....LMAO

Quote Originally Posted by candidate View Post
    sorry buddy i am not with ya on this one....

its not nice to say but ill tell ya what... im im typin like im southern for dramatic effect... aint no protein goin make nobody fat, ya hear

trust me on that one
    I trust you are very limited on your knowledge of macros! Do tell what happens to excess protein in the presence of carbs? Dont say it turns to glucose because that only happens when your carb intake is limited to extremes.

lets see here dudes... ponder this.... post workout hes taking ini one scoop of whey and 10 ounces chicken
    that scoop of whey is digested very quickly, and at only one scoop, and post workout, the entirety of that scoop will be utilized.

now that ten ounces of chicken he is eating will be digested at a rate of aorund 5-6 grams per hour over time. his body cant use 5-6 grams per hour ? hell yes it can, it can use several times that amount fo protein.

now shut the fuck up
    What school of nutrition did you graduate from? Whatever school it was you obviously failed miserably!

This has got to be the most classic post yet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by bhman6 View Post
    the whey would still take upwards of 3 hours to be fully digested

Thank GOD somebody truly knows the real facts!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1. 120 g of oatmeal, 1 scoop of casein, 3 whole eggs
    2. one tuna can, 2 pieces wheat toast
    3. same as post workout, except no whey or milk.
    4. peanut butter and jelly sandwhich
    5. 70 grams brown rice, 308 g of whole fat cottage cheese, 1 scoop whey (pre workout)
    6. post workout, you know this
    7. if i get to it, 120 g of cottage cheese, 3 egg whites
    8. 1 scoop casein (UP 2.0) and 10 oz of whole milk.

Needing 5000 cals and optimal 5000 cals are different. even before Jim i had always believed in getting big in the offseason, no matter fat gain. It seems like at my age that since i can loose it so fast, why not take advantage of the quicker muscle gains that come from extra fat being stored. when i'm a bit older, this will change, especially being natural. But, those egg whites are jsut enough calories. I believe in eating a lot, but i count everything and i have enough fat for the day so i leave the yolks out.

And this is his 5000 calorie diet??????

Put down the chalk and use a caculator!

Quote Originally Posted by Tipsta View Post
    Ever hear of Atkins??? Insulin is the main factor in storing fat.

Extra protein will ONLY turn to glucose whjen carbohydrate intake is so limited that the body is forced to make Glucose from amino acids.
    I knew you weren't going to let that slide...lol
    Nutrex Research
    Exercise Science BS, CSCS

Quote Originally Posted by silverbackn View Post
    I knew you weren't going to let that slide...lol
    You know me....

your right about gluconeogensis being dependant on lack of glucose and not on excess amino acids. i hate arguign that point and im glad you understand that.

however... the idea that excess protein goes into adipose, through any metabolic pathway, is absurd.

but, listening to basic things such as "energy in vs out...any excess goes to fat" would lead one to believe that a bunch of protein would lead to fat gain. since, the above quote... the laws of thermodynamincs...is 100% fact...

however!!!!! protein is always used. just because protein is "used" does NOT mean your growing. only when more protein is synthesized than is broken down, are you growing. eating protein spurs both synthesis and breakdown.

layne norton gave me that number of grams per hour in his Q&A thread... IIRC he said no facts are available, but most in the feild believe it to be around 4-6 grams per hour.

Now youre giving me advice??? Best you dont even answer the question I originally asked but post a bunch of useless words. Tell me what happens to excess protein consumed in a diet that provides enough carbs that no aminos will be converted to glucose?

Better yet your comeback was a "HE SAID SO" answer. Ever think Laynes wrong? That would mean that all I need to do is eat one 50 gram piece of chicken and Id be good for 10 hours......

let me address a few things.

1. I dont know everything. never will. i know things, and i have seen success as of late when i changed my diet like this
    2. i'm 16-17% bodyfat via dexa machine. that is perfectly fine for me during offseason. will not go above that, i'm doing a mini cut in march
    3. I'm under the guidance of a top trainer. this is not just all coming from me. and his guys come in shredded as hell, so i'm not worried about offseason bodyfat
    4. No studies have proven what is the maximum amount of protein that can be absorbed for a bodybuilder.
    5. if you think you need to eat a whole bunch of meals for absorbtion purposes, talk to layne norton please
    6. breakfast and pwo are when i get my most carbs for the day, but i get carbs/fats/protein at every meal
    7. damn this list is getting big
    8. Bhman, amazing physique, good show my man
    9. i'm 17 231 lbs 5'11" at 16-17% bodyfat as of now,
    10. this is the science section and no proof has yet to be given about meal frequency or protein maximums. this is because they dont exist. i'm going off of what has made me grow from 166 12% bf to what i am now.
    11. there are around 90 grams of protein post workout. i did know this, and was never asked to tell anybody that.

10 g in my milk
    20 in my whey
    60-65 grams in my chicken (depends on size, i rarely stomach 10 oz, more along 7-8)

and like i said, this is a whole meal, and to the quesiton about egg whites, why not eat it? i cant see a problem there. it's more like a mini meal as i do believe in tapering carbs a BIT because although i believe its not THAT harmful to eat carbs before bed, i like to keep to fats because the body runs off of mostly lipids during sleep.
    you know what man, i shouldnt have been such a dick. so, sorry for that the other day.

i still think your pwo meal is way too much, but that's your deal. if i were you though and you wanted feedback i'd post your meal over in Layne's thread and see what he thinks about it being too much or right for someone like you. if anyone on here is a protein expert, Layne is the man. you never know he might be able to show you a better combo to get the best bang out of your buck if you know what i mean.

Spotter

Yeah dudes.

1 cup egg white
    50gram whey iso
    1 cup oats
    1-2 bananas
    Cake or death? -Eddie Izzard

Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast