Muscular Development Forums - Powered by vBulletin

View Poll Results: How much you take in carbs daily..? (MAX. FAT LOSS)

Voters
504. You may not vote on this poll
  • Less than 60 grams (a ketogenic diet)

182 36.11%
  • About 100 grams

96 19.05%
  • 100-150 grams

96 19.05%
  • 150-200 grams

95 18.85%
  • AM, this poll sucked!

35 6.94%
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Carbs and fat loss

thanks for that link to the carb calculator tipsta, had me pegged at about 300 or so carbs for fat loss
    What we do in life echoes in eternity.

Quote Originally Posted by peytonchris View Post
    thanks for that link to the carb calculator tipsta, had me pegged at about 300 or so carbs for fat loss
    Thats from Peggy Schoolcraft who I speak of often. Also you really need to be accurate on your LBM. She was very close with Dan Duchaine and those are from his #'s used. However that is based on the proper rate of cardio. If the rate of cardio is too high it will only use the carbs eaten and very little fat will ever drop. Hence the reason guys are forced to drop carbs to such an extreme. Its because there is no difference in fuels used while hitting the weights or on the treadmill. If that makes any sense.

Most use an extreme depletion of carbs to allow the body to use fats as a fuel when the proper way is to use a rate of cardio that utilizes fat and seperate the carb intake from fat loss.

ONLY a sedentary dieter should use the first protocol since they are exactly that. SEDENTARY.
    TRAIN HARD AND WIN EASY!!!
    Co-Promoter of the NPC "Royal Palm Classic"

i keep my carbs around 350-400 im also bulking as of right now but on my cut diet im around 55 carbs-keto

Dave Palumbo's diet works the best! Check out the new site *************!

i go with 180 while cutting and adjust it as needed

Quote Originally Posted by Tipsta View Post
    The actual grams of carbs daily isn't as a important as the actual glycemic load for the day. Many people dont know how fat loss or fat gain really occur. Let me explain. When you eat carbohydrates they are metabolized into sugar and enter the blood stream. At that point your pancreas is signaled to release insulin. Insulin is the hormone responsible for removing the nutrients out of the blood and into the muscle cell. The best way to explain is by using this example. Picture a cell having two halves. The top half and the bottom half. The top we will call the fat cell and the bottom the muscle cell. Insulin ONLY enters the fat cell at a high enough threshold. If the threshold is not high enough the nutrients will be disposed of into the muscle cell. The same is true for fat loss. When the body is metabolizing body fat over the course of your diet you have fat circulating in the blood. As long as the insulin threshold is kept low enough your body will dispose of the circulating fat and not RE-STORE it back into the fat cell. I personally use a glucometer to monitor blood sugar to guarantee it never to raise high enough to cause a problem
    Old post but if this is true explain how fat gain is very possible with no carbs? I think your drastically underestimating calories in vs. out for weight loss and putting too much into blood sugar levels. Fat loss can definitely happen with just fat + protein eaten if calories are too high.

Quote Originally Posted by Tipsta View Post
    , so the amount of carbs eaten will have no relevance to the amount of fat lost.
    NO relevance? So your saying you could lose fat eating 800g of carbs a day as long as you were doing your cardio in the right range?

And you can obviously lose fat while sticking to higher intensity/HIIT cardio as long as there is a calorie deficit

BIG BRI

Quote Originally Posted by MuscleAddict83 View Post
    Dave Palumbo's diet works the best! Check out the new site *************!
    meh his diet is a basic low carb high fat diet..he does not lay claim to being the first to use it

Quote Originally Posted by David1991 View Post
    Old post but if this is true explain how fat gain is very possible with no carbs? I think your drastically underestimating calories in vs. out for weight loss and putting too much into blood sugar levels. Fat loss can definitely happen with just fat + protein eaten if calories are too high.

NO relevance? So your saying you could lose fat eating 800g of carbs a day as long as you were doing your cardio in the right range?

And you can obviously lose fat while sticking to higher intensity/HIIT cardio as long as there is a calorie deficit

Just my observation, by no means a personal attack:
    In your first reply, you mention fat loss, then weight loss, then fat loss. It doesn't seem like anything major, but there's a pretty big difference. Of course, fat gain is very possible with no carbs. If you go over maintenance with either fats or proteins, it will be stored as fat, and you will gain. Next point, of course calories in vs calories out determines weight loss, but the point here is not weight loss, but specifically fat loss. Calories in vs. calories out does play a role, but this is assumed to be already addressed while dieting down. Third point, I think meant that fat GAIN is possible with just fat+protein if calories are too high, or fat loss is possible with just fat+protein if calories are LOWER than maintenance. <---of course, either case is true. The point Tipsta makes in reference to this is optimal fat burning, without having to cut your carb intake drastically, has a lot to do with your blood sugar levels and the rate at which you do cardio. Why would you do cardio at a rate that burns mainly glycogen and carbs when you're trying to drop fat when you can keep your carbs at a normal level and just go straight to burning off the fat? Keeping your glycogen levels in an optimal range while dropping fat seems like good juju to me.

2nd reply: Could you eat 800g of carbs a day and still drop fat by doing cardio in the right range? ABSOLUTELY. While this # (800g) is somewhat absurd, of course it is possible. Even if your total energy expenditure per day is equal to your energy intake per day, if you're doing cardio at the proper rate, you're burning mainly fat with a little glycogen. Maybe a very bad oversimplified example.....If your daily maintenace level is 3000cals, and you eat 800g of carbs, you spill over by 200cals. Say you do 500cals worth of proper rate cardio.....it will burn a little of the glycogen, but mostly fat, taking you back under to 2700cals net for the day. Any spillover from excess carbs that would be going to fat stores would have been burned during the proper rate cardio. Keep my muscles and liver full of glycogen while dropping fat? Sounds great! And I won't look flat.

3rd reply: Can you lose fat doing HIIT as long as there is a calorie deficit? Absolutely! But what else are you losing? If we're speaking from a standpoint of losing as much fat as possible while SPARING as much muscle as possible, why would you do cardio at a rate that would tap into your muscles for fuel? i.e. assume you do your cardio in a glycogen depleted state (either after weight training or first thing in the morning) in order to maximize fat burning. This is a pretty standard recommendation, right? Well, if you're doing intervals and work up to very high rates of intensity, you've already burned through whatever glycogen you may have had and would now be tapping aminos from your muscles as fuel.....as opposed to keeping the rate of cardio low so that you dont have to go into gluconeogenisis to fuel your cardio.....thus using fat as the preferred fuel source.

I could be wrong, but this is where my logic is steering me. Again, I do not aim to make any offense toward you.
    Last edited by Ironhead1983; July 1st, 2009 at 12:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ironhead1983 View Post
    2nd reply: Could you eat 800g of carbs a day and still drop fat by doing cardio in the right range? ABSOLUTELY. While this # (800g) is somewhat absurd, of course it is possible. Even if your total energy expenditure per day is equal to your energy intake per day, if you're doing cardio at the proper rate, you're burning mainly fat with a little glycogen. Maybe a very bad oversimplified example.....If your daily maintenace level is 3000cals, and you eat 800g of carbs, you spill over by 200cals. Say you do 500cals worth of proper rate cardio.....it will burn a little of the glycogen, but mostly fat, taking you back under to 2700cals net for the day. Any spillover from excess carbs that would be going to fat stores would have been burned during the proper rate cardio. Keep my muscles and liver full of glycogen while dropping fat? Sounds great! And I won't look flat.
    Edit:
    This would be assuming low GI carbs.

Banned

I prefer under 60 everyday.

Quote Originally Posted by David1991 View Post

Your post is confusing....

Yes IF you have a need for 800 grams carbs.

Youll lose a hell of a lot more muscle too...

Quote Originally Posted by Ironhead1983 View Post
    Just my observation, by no means a personal attack:
    In your first reply, you mention fat loss, then weight loss, then fat loss. It doesn't seem like anything major, but there's a pretty big difference. Of course, fat gain is very possible with no carbs. If you go over maintenance with either fats or proteins, it will be stored as fat, and you will gain. Next point, of course calories in vs calories out determines weight loss, but the point here is not weight loss, but specifically fat loss. Calories in vs. calories out does play a role, but this is assumed to be already addressed while dieting down. Third point, I think meant that fat GAIN is possible with just fat+protein if calories are too high, or fat loss is possible with just fat+protein if calories are LOWER than maintenance. <---of course, either case is true. The point Tipsta makes in reference to this is optimal fat burning, without having to cut your carb intake drastically, has a lot to do with your blood sugar levels and the rate at which you do cardio. Why would you do cardio at a rate that burns mainly glycogen and carbs when you're trying to drop fat when you can keep your carbs at a normal level and just go straight to burning off the fat? Keeping your glycogen levels in an optimal range while dropping fat seems like good juju to me.

3rd reply: Can you lose fat doing HIIT as long as there is a calorie deficit? Absolutely! But what else are you losing? If we're speaking from a standpoint of losing as much fat as possible while SPARING as much muscle as possible, why would you do cardio at a rate that would tap into your muscles for fuel? i.e. assume you do your cardio in a glycogen depleted state (either after weight training or first thing in the morning) in order to maximize fat burning. This is a pretty standard recommendation, right? Well, if you're doing intervals and work up to very high rates of intensity, you've already burned through whatever glycogen you may have had and would now be tapping aminos from your muscles as fuel.....as opposed to keeping the rate of cardio low so that you dont have to go into gluconeogenisis to fuel your cardio.....thus using fat as the preferred fuel source.

I could be wrong, but this is where my logic is steering me. Again, I do not aim to make any offense toward you.
    WOW!! I'm impressed!!!

I'm around 30-60 grams on off days and 100+160 grams on training days. I time my carb intake about 1 hour before and 1 hour after my workout with my PWO shake. Working pretty good so far.
    Old weight: 274 lbs (Dec 27th '07)
    Current weight: 198 lbs (August 25 '09)

I'm new to the game... only about six years of dieting experience. recently i have had better success with a higher carb load. anywhere from 200g to 300g a day. However due to an increased level of energy this higher load of carbs is supported by multiple sessions of intense cardio. So this may be why my results have been better. As the carbs go down so do my energy levels and so does my motivation to do said cardio.

I think it depends how far out you're talking. I have been taking in 400 g/day and leaning out at a good pace. I keep fats at about 55-60 g though. And I was taking in unnecessary amounts of protein, so I converted those cals over to carbs and have had much better success.

200 grams of carbs works wonder to me....

I went 6 weeks on 0 (and I mean 0) carbs per a dave palumboeske keto diet
    I would say that I lost maximum fat but was completely unable to work out or carb load come show time
    I know keep them between 150 and 200 almost everyday.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast