Muscular Development Forums - Powered by vBulletin

View Poll Results: How much you take in carbs daily..? (MAX. FAT LOSS)

Voters
503. You may not vote on this poll
  • Less than 60 grams (a ketogenic diet)

181 35.98%
  • About 100 grams

96 19.09%
  • 100-150 grams

96 19.09%
  • 150-200 grams

95 18.89%
  • AM, this poll sucked!

35 6.96%
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Carbs and fat loss

Default Carbs and fat loss

Just another poll..

<60g of carb during the depletion week... re-feeds I eat mostly carb with protein and little fat... the day after is still high carb but at maintance calories... then a zone-type day at slightly below maintenance ending carb intake in the PM - then back into keto and depletion...

My carb intake varies from day to day................I do keep them very low though as a rule.
    Strictly Business

I prefer low carbs like 50 - 80 grams a day.

Anssi,

Where does it state that "less than 60 grams" is classified as "a ketogenic diet?"

BTW, I voted the last option.

Quote Originally Posted by Grubrunner View Post
    Anssi,

Where does it state that "less than 60 grams" is classified as "a ketogenic diet?"

BTW, I voted the last option.
    Perhaps should read "less than 50 grams" or something..

Quote Originally Posted by Anssi Manninen View Post
    Perhaps should read "less than 50 grams" or something..
    I only asked because I heard that a true keto diet was less than 30 total grams of carbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Grubrunner View Post
    I only asked because I heard that a true keto diet was less than 30 total grams of carbs.

I'd say 30 grams for sedentary people... as 30 grams really is a minimum for proper brain function. Athletes can raise the bar a bit higher than 30 grams... anyway, it's pretty hard to stay under 30 grams when eating to support a lot of LBM and fat loss...

i dont like to go too low, i keep it 150-200 until i absolutely have to bring them down..id rather increase cardio in short intense sessions..

GeorgeForemanRules

The 30-50g a day carb thing is fine for 2-3 weeks but after that I have to eat 200+ a day or I will lose too much muscle mass.

When I'm knuckling down to a hard diet, It's always below 50g, with sundays off to carb-up works for me, monday evening I always feel crappy, but after that it just gets easier

Question for anyone: I've read in a past issue, to maximize fat loss, do your cardio first thing in the morning on an empty stomach. I definitely agree with that and have had much success, my question is now that I'm starting my free weight training, in order to maximize fat loss should I lift weights first thing in the morning on an empty stomach as well? If not when is the best time to lift. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by beastie boy View Post
    Question for anyone: I've read in a past issue, to maximize fat loss, do your cardio first thing in the morning on an empty stomach. I definitely agree with that and have had much success, my question is now that I'm starting my free weight training, in order to maximize fat loss should I lift weights first thing in the morning on an empty stomach as well? If not when is the best time to lift. Thanks
    No, lift after at least one meal. U need fuel to lift and the point of lifintg weights is not to burn fat but to add muscle.

Lo-Carb days currently 145 grams and twice per week re-feed days are now 295 grams. BTW, I am currently 5.2% BF. My calipers are putting out a reading of 3.6-3.8%, and I am rounding up 1.5% generously.

This poll sucks AM.. You probably do all your "research" via these polls.

Quote Originally Posted by Warrior View Post
    <60g of carb during the depletion week... re-feeds I eat mostly carb with protein and little fat... the day after is still high carb but at maintance calories... then a zone-type day at slightly below maintenance ending carb intake in the PM - then back into keto and depletion...
    Can you gys explain to me how you have any energy and look "full" on carbs this low? I could not get through a workout with my carbs this low. Not to mention, I'd look flat as a pancake. What gives?

Quote Originally Posted by Npeart View Post
    Can you gys explain to me how you have any energy and look "full" on carbs this low? I could not get through a workout with my carbs this low. Not to mention, I'd look flat as a pancake. What gives?
    Flat is just cosmetics, it doesn't look nice but if you are burning up some extra grissel then it's all good.

I don't like the idea of long term low-carbing for active people (like bodybuilders) unless you are getting close to a show and you need really low bodyfat. But Joe Dumbbell is typically quite happy with anything sub-10 percent while maintaining hard-earned muscle. For me, I do well with a 7-Day CKD split... carbing up once a week and averagin 2 pounds of fat loss for every week I stick to the diet... some spread it out to 10-14 days...

After you have been depleting with an intense training; inconjunction with an iso-caloric low-carb and high-fat diet... you do get worn out. I love a combined 10 grams of the essential BCAA's (leucine, isoleucine and valine) prior to training - they help pick me up; especially after a day or two of low carb intake. BCAA's are very helpful when depleted - for several reaasons.

The day after a scheduled carb-up you will be full and ready to move a lot of weight - as long as you keep pounding carbs and limit activity on the carb loading day.

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast