Muscular Development Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Football vs Boxing-Which is more dangerous?

Forum Leader: No Bull Sports, MD Pets! paradox's Avatar

Default Football vs Boxing-Which is more dangerous?

I would say Football takes the cake on this one. As a die hard boxing fan/boxer I know fully the dangerous involved in boxing. But in my opinion I think Football is just a bit more demanding, theres more contact from various angles, from various players.

In boxing you can slip away from contact from punches by rolling with the punches, slipping, holding. You can buy your self a few seconds to regroup, you have your corner and a referee.

There have been some deaths int he ring, but from my experience and research, allot of those deaths came from several factors. Fighting often, over working the body, bad corner, bad refs were all factors.
    I've gotten hit in the past probably far more than I'd care to admit, but in all actuality they were never "full punches" but more so from jabs.

But in football you really cant defend your self, youve got men in excess of 260lbs running at you 5-8mph may not sound like much, but do that many times in one night and you'll regret taking up football for a living.

NFL players in my opinion experience far more injuries and trauma than boxers. Plus NFL players also experience the same amount of head trauma that boxers experience. Its like how they make you wear the head in boxing in the amat division but it doesn't do anything other than prevent cuts, the pressure and trauma is still there. I still feel the same pressure when I spar with head gear, only difference is that the Jab doesn't have that "sting"
    Last edited by paradox; February 27th, 2011 at 03:54 PM.
    NYC Golden Gloves...Here I come!

Banned

FOOTBALL....QBS AND WRS RBS ARE RUNNING WITH A TARGET ON THERE BACK.....FOOTBALLERS ARE MORE ACTIVE THAN BOXERS....BOXERS FIGHT COUPLE TIMES A YEAR OR LESS IF THEY HAVE A CHAMPIONSHIP.....FOOTBALL SEASON IS LONG

BOXING VERY CLOSE SECOND

football for sure, ive played both and the risk of knee damage and back damage etc is huge in football.

Hockey > all
    HSIT=HOMO SEX INTENSITY TRAINING

Do a tally for deaths in boxing and deaths in American Football......boxing for sure.

Brain dead > torn ACL

Football has an overall greater risk of injury, but the injury types are different. Pro football players get bum knees, boxers get brain damage.

Spotter

Yea football is crazy. head to head tackles are crazy. When you have some 200lbs lb running at you at 30km/h

Quote Originally Posted by FrancisJamesW-III View Post
    Do a tally for deaths in boxing and deaths in American Football......boxing for sure.

Brain dead > torn ACL
    Getting hit in the head defiantly takes time to recover from. If I have a serious full out sparring match, I'll take off from sparring for a while before i come back in. But as mentioned above, you can afford to sit around and mend your body the rest of the year.

My friend is a Pro Boxer, hes got a few sponsors and he basically spends a few months training for the fights and the rest training and therapy, so he actually fights about 4-5 times a year. The higher you get the less you fight, the more time you spend training and theorpy

But the NFL players are being forced now to play a lot of games a year, and alot of them were complaining that this made them perform at a lower caliber due to the wear and tear.Plus they have to follow team rules, etc etc.

Spotter

Although boxing has produced some "punch drunk" fighters, it is obvious footballers have more injuries. Obviously we are talking about serious injuries here such as death/paralysis/broken bones which could potentially end careers. The force in which some footballers tackle is at times cringeworthy if looked at in a biological viewpoint. However the danger depends on the circumstances obviously.

Spotter

weuifbrg
    Last edited by jdan; February 27th, 2011 at 07:22 PM.

Spotter

yadayada

Spotter

triple post because this site is slow as fuck

Nobody

Come on guys. if you are talking about a boxing match vs. a football game it's not even a question- do you see a boxer's face when he is done with a match? football players have helmets and pads. A strong safety has a good game if he has 7 tackles in a game- 7 times he makes physical contact (a cornerback even less-it's more about running full speed). A football game lasts a total of 5 minutes (60 plays at around 5 seconds a piece). Boxers go through 36 minutes of hell without 11 other players to lean on. ESPN did an algorithm on it
    http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/sportSkills

Quote Originally Posted by takedownclinic View Post
    Come on guys. if you are talking about a boxing match vs. a football game it's not even a question- do you see a boxer's face when he is done with a match? football players have helmets and pads. A strong safety has a good game if he has 7 tackles in a game- 7 times he makes physical contact (a cornerback even less-it's more about running full speed). A football game lasts a total of 5 minutes (60 plays at around 5 seconds a piece). Boxers go through 36 minutes of hell without 11 other players to lean on. ESPN did an algorithm on it
    http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/sportSkills
    Were not comparing the actually art. But more so the toll if you will not every fight is going to be an epic battle either. Some will be even, some will be slow some wont even last due to a knock out.

I saw that one, great story coverage.

You are asking which is more DANGEROUS. If we can all agree that danger entails some sort of life threatening risk, it becomes clear that boxing is the more dangerous sport. Given that the majority of blows are directed towards the head, it is certain that the severity of injury and life threatening risk is greater in boxing. Also, consider that football players are some what protected by their pads. Furthermore, physical injury in football is spread across the body- an ACL injury, for example, is not life threatening. A boxers only protection is his gloves, and those are just for the knuckles. To a greater degree, boxers face various degrees of brain damage, damage to their vision, nerve damage, organ damage, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by helloimjohnnycash View Post
    You are asking which is more DANGEROUS. If we can all agree that danger entails some sort of life threatening risk, it becomes clear that boxing is the more dangerous sport. Given that the majority of blows are directed towards the head, it is certain that the severity of injury and life threatening risk is greater in boxing. Also, consider that football players are some what protected by their pads. Furthermore, physical injury in football is spread across the body- an ACL injury, for example, is not life threatening. A boxers only protection is his gloves, and those are just for the knuckles. To a greater degree, boxers face various degrees of brain damage, damage to their vision, nerve damage, organ damage, etc.
    I dont know, Iv never played football, only in high school for 2 weeks and left. So I cant guess. Boxing if done long enough will get to you, that I agree on, being sensible is the way to go. If your a boxer who's made it to the pro ranks, I wouldn't stick around for to long, I would retire before before 36. My sparring partner is 33 and hes been boxing for 23 years.

He still fights and I tell him that he may be 33 but hes response time hasnt been that great, his strength is still there and I have noticed his speech has gotten sluggish at time.

A head on collision during a kick off would seem like the most dangerous time in either sport. 2 200lb+ men running full speed and colliding has to generate a shit ton of force on the spine.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast