Muscular Development Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Q&A with Hate and Joker!!!!

See that nice house down the street? Not there..

Quote Originally Posted by BIG BOSS !! View Post
    Squats vs. Calf Raises....

Which is better for increasing one's jumping ability even more?
    Quote Originally Posted by TheKillerOfSaints View Post
    MORE STRENGTH EVENTUALLY MEANS MORE SIZE....NO CALS AND MACROS=NO CALS FOR STRENGTH
    PEOPLE CLIMB IN WEIGHT CLASSES OVER THE YEARS....THEY DONT JUST SIT STILL AND HOPE TO GET BETTER

TO JIM
    Well you weigh what? 300 or so, what are you putting up these days?

I beleive that strength gain transfers over to some size gain sure but some guys are genitically just stronger than others pound for pound and that has everything to do with the number of motor controll units and the amopunt of type 2 fiber % they have.

Jim is obviously one of those guys, he presses 2x his boy weight already for reps. In some ways these guys are lucky (as powerlifters) as BBers not so much. That puts tremendous strain or the body for one pluss they have to lift even heavier weights to gain quality size compaired to the average joe.
    www.IronMagLabs.com

15% off on all IronMagLabs products at the IronMagLabs store= H4TW15

Forum Leader: Member Training Journals, Training The Joker's Avatar

Hey Fellas,

Just like Hates first post in this thread, we'd like to help. I got certified through ISSA. I had already been training for a few years, and still do it alittle on the side on a select few people. I already knew most of the material before I took the exams. Mostly whati learned was the terminalogy of some things.

I have been on a business trip for the last 10 days and that's why I haven't been answering any questions. But that is pretty much over. So please feel free to ask me questions starting now.

If I can't answer it, I'll find the answer and get back to you.
    Not Everything. Not Yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Hate4TheWeak View Post
    Are we talking the vertical jump here, or long jump?

That is true to some degree. HOWEVER you can most deffinatly train to get it up there even more. I have always been able to dunk and for a 5'11 white boy over 200lbs that's not bad. I could do it when I was younger, same height but weighed alot less so gaining an extra 30-40lbs and still being able to do it tell me that leg development had something to do with that.

So to answer your question simply, squats. All the way.

If you are doing vert jump: jump squats (be carefull on those!!), Box jumps, regular squats, Straight leg calf press or donkey press will all help.

Long jump: Has very little to do with calves vrs the straight vert jump. Here you would look at more explosive movements like Jump squats, Sprints, Box jumps ect..

Also keep in mind alot of it has to do with technique and practicing will be key in getting better whether it be the long jump, hurdles, or the vert jump.
    Good to know. This will help me hop fences while running from the fuzz.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron8 View Post
    Good to know. This will help me hop fences while running from the fuzz.
    True dat lol..
    www.IronMagLabs.com

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

Have replied in colour bro, thanks for taking the time to reply. You too KOS.

You are a very strong dude for being so small in stature so cheers.

Let me ask you this, what's your weeklly WO program look like as far as bodyparts hit on what days and how many sets and exercises? Also what rep range do you typically work in?

Just launching into this routine with squat, bench & DL all being hit 2 x week...

MON: CHEST + BICEPS
    TUE: LEGS
    WED: REST
    THU: BACK + CALVES (PLUS BENCH PRESS)
    FRI: SHOULDERS + TRICEPS (PLUS SQUATS)
    SAT: REST
    SUN: DEADLIFTS

Bigger bodyparts I train probably around 8-12 sets, smaller bodyparts 6-9 sets. Rep ranges vary depending on how I feel, for the mostpart I train anywhere around the 8-10 range (with a higher rep warmup set). Maybe one or two weeks a month I'll drop the reps down to 4-6 and sometimes singles-triples on the big three lifts.

Here a big one, WHEN was the last time you took a break from weights all together and how long was it?

I have been pretty stressed out with work and the earthquakes, so I just took 4 or 5 days off last week. I do listen to my body; I like to be consistent with my training but if I am tired or my mood isn't good I won't train.
    I usually take a week off every 10-12 weeks, and after that week off I'll deload for a couple of weeks before I start back into another training cycle. Programmes I usually change every 3 months or so.

That'll help me out alot ;')
    Last edited by Mini Forklift Ⓥ; March 7th, 2011 at 04:58 AM.

Bench deads and squats twice a week!! You're nuckin futs bro. lol..

There are several things you can try to bring your bench up. Since I'm almost 100% sure your form is top notch I won't touch on that...so...:

First I would drop the major lifts down to just once a week. (Deads and squats)

Then I would focus on bench the first day of the week that you train, when you are the freshest and then again the last day of the week that you train. So you're going to have to rearange some things in your split and probablly lose a day or two.

From the looks of that split, plus the stress you are training way too much IMO.

I would also suggest that you change your rep/set scheme to do 5X5's, at a minimum do that on the major lifts.
    That will help out ALOT!!

If you haven't done 5X5's before they are great for bringing up strength on any lift in a fairily short amount of time.
    If you don't want to do that you can drop the bench pressing all together and hit the db's solely for a few weeks and then cross back over to the bar again.

You can spend extra effort bringing up the strength in your triceps and or front delts if you feel they are giving out before your chest.

You wanna try something differant than that let me know but I would seriuosly look into the 5X5. I've done it before for just chest and tris and my bench most deffinatlly went up.

Chains and bungies will help aswell. They both work by getting tougher/heavier as you get closer to the top use them in adition to your benching for 3 weeks and then go back to the straight up flat bb bench and see where you're at.

Hope that helps but like I said if you don't like those then we can do something else. Lots of tricks out there to bring it up.

Cheers brother.
    www.IronMagLabs.com

I would seriuosly look into the 5X5. I've done it before for just chest and tris and my bench most deffinatlly went up.

Chains and bungies will help aswell. They both work by getting tougher/heavier as you get closer to the top use them in adition to your benching for 3 weeks and then go back to the straight up flat bb bench and see where you're at.

Hope that helps but like I said if you don't like those then we can do something else. Lots of tricks out there to bring it up.

Cheers brother.
    what's your opinion on following a more powerlifting type program? doing things such as floor presses, board presses, rack presses, speed bench, etc...

and thanks for answering my original question.
    I'm bad, and that's good. I will never be good, and that's not bad. There's nobody I'd rather be, than me.

Have replied in colour bro, thanks for taking the time to reply. You too KOS.

Originally Posted by Hate4TheWeak
    You are a very strong dude for being so small in stature so cheers.

Let me ask you this, what's your weeklly WO program look like as far as bodyparts hit on what days and how many sets and exercises? Also what rep range do you typically work in?

Just launching into this routine with squat, bench & DL all being hit 2 x week...

MON: CHEST + BICEPS
    TUE: LEGS
    WED: REST
    THU: BACK + CALVES (PLUS BENCH PRESS)
    FRI: SHOULDERS + TRICEPS (PLUS SQUATS)
    SAT: REST
    SUN: DEADLIFTS

Bigger bodyparts I train probably around 8-12 sets, smaller bodyparts 6-9 sets. Rep ranges vary depending on how I feel, for the mostpart I train anywhere around the 8-10 range (with a higher rep warmup set). Maybe one or two weeks a month I'll drop the reps down to 4-6 and sometimes singles-triples on the big three lifts.

Here a big one, WHEN was the last time you took a break from weights all together and how long was it?

I have been pretty stressed out with work and the earthquakes, so I just took 4 or 5 days off last week. I do listen to my body; I like to be consistent with my training but if I am tired or my mood isn't good I won't train.
    I usually take a week off every 10-12 weeks, and after that week off I'll deload for a couple of weeks before I start back into another training cycle. Programmes I usually change every 3 months or so.

That'll help me out alot ;')

Bench deads and squats twice a week!! You're nuckin futs bro. lol..

There are several things you can try to bring your bench up. Since I'm almost 100% sure your form is top notch I won't touch on that...so...:

First I would drop the major lifts down to just once a week. (Deads and squats)

Then I would focus on bench the first day of the week that you train, when you are the freshest and then again the last day of the week that you train. So you're going to have to rearange some things in your split and probablly lose a day or two.

From the looks of that split, plus the stress you are training way too much IMO.

I would also suggest that you change your rep/set scheme to do 5X5's, at a minimum do that on the major lifts.
    That will help out ALOT!!

If you haven't done 5X5's before they are great for bringing up strength on any lift in a fairily short amount of time.
    If you don't want to do that you can drop the bench pressing all together and hit the db's solely for a few weeks and then cross back over to the bar again.

You can spend extra effort bringing up the strength in your triceps and or front delts if you feel they are giving out before your chest.

You wanna try something differant than that let me know but I would seriuosly look into the 5X5. I've done it before for just chest and tris and my bench most deffinatlly went up.

Cheers brother.
    These are great suggestions, but what are you eating Jim?
    Not Everything. Not Yet.

LIL JIM'S DIET FROM 2nd MAR

Meal 1:
    160g rolled oats
    70g muesli
    2 x scoops protein powder
    1 x banana, handful of blueberries
    450ml low fat milk
    1 x tbsp organic blackstrap molasses & sprinkle of cinnamon

Meal 2:
    Weight gainer shake (450cals) and protein bar (213cals)

Meal 3:
    Hoki fillet, pasta, potato wedges, avocado and mixed veges

Meal 4:
    Manuka honey, seeds & oat bar (230cals), handful of raw nuts

Meal 5:
    3 x Vegetarian sausages in a sandwich with salad
    Peppered steak pie (500cals), potato wedges & mixed veges

Meal 6 (1hr before bed):
    Muesli, protein powder, 1/2 tin of pears & low fat milk

Meal 7 (right before bed):
    Weight gainer shake (450cals)

ITS NOT ROCKET SURGERY
    "NOTHING IS TRIVIAL"

IFBB PRO - Beni Lopez / Moderator / Forum Facilitator lil mama's Avatar

KOSKOSKOS Hey mister how the weight loss going? I hope your making progress.

im not really getting lighter but im getting better.....need to be more regimented about the # of cals i take in....gonna start carrying note pad...write down everytime i eat

been getting better about daily cardio
    "NOTHING IS TRIVIAL"

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

Thanks for the reply.

Tried some 5x5's last night, felt good!

FLAT D.BELL CHEST PRESS
    48 x 12
    57 x 10 (WARMUP SETS)

75 x 5
    84 x 5
    88 x 5
    92 x 5
    92 x 5

Can you explain the deal with 5x5's? I mean, are you using weight that you are failing no the last rep of each set? Also, if I do three exercises say for chest, do I do 5x5's for all of them or just the bench? Cheers J.

Quote Originally Posted by maxamill29 View Post
    what's your opinion on following a more powerlifting type program? doing things such as floor presses, board presses, rack presses, speed bench, etc...

and thanks for answering my original question.
    No problem brother.

Well that depends on what your goals are really.

For myself just to keep shit from getting too boring and keep my strength up I do 3-4 weeks of powerlifting every 4 months where I focus on power cleans, deads off the floor, squats, floor press, bench ect, ect,...

I recomend some type of periodization for everyone for the same reasons whether it be over the course of a years, 6 months or just a week every months out of their BBing training that they focus on powerlifting with lower reps for strength AND more anerobic type work such as circuit training or something along those lines.

It keeps your body from plateuing and it keeps your workouts fun and enteresting.
    www.IronMagLabs.com

About the jumping thing:

I have an IronMan mag from a few years back with a Bill Starr article about jumping, among other things. He said that the ass muscles are the prime movers in jumps, and that the front delts actually contribute a lot more to your jump than your calfs (try to see how high you can jump with and without arm swing).

I believe that some black people can jump better because of their big asses, not because of their high calf insertions (no racist).

Jim, the way I learned 5X5 was that all 5 sets were the same weight. When you could do all 5 sets with the same weight you bumped up the weight and started doing 5x5 with that weight and so on. Everyone responds to stuff differently so I am not going to say you shouldn't do 5x5 for all exercises. No one knows how you will respond to that until you try it. But personally, I wouldn't do it. I'd do 5x5 for my main movement, then something like 6-8 for the next few. But that is just me.

Side note. I was doing 5x5 on bench when I hurt my shoulder and haven't done it since (2008).
    Not Everything. Not Yet.

6 repsd puts you in a safe but effective hypertrophy and strength range
    "NOTHING IS TRIVIAL"

So does 5 dude. 5x5 has been around along time for a reason.
    www.IronMagLabs.com

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast