Muscular Development Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Q& A with Hall of Famer, Kevin Levrone

well i'll be...
    This is a language up with I cannot put.

Quote Originally Posted by Levrone2000 View Post
    In fact, 90% of pro bodybuilding is genetics. Maybe more.
    Couldn't help but lol.

Hey, this is Kevin and I'm not a ghost writer. Thanks to those of you who are respecting LevroneReport.com. That is where I spend most of my time, split between that and running Levrone Inc., maker of Levrone Formula products. With new products coming out and all the excitement on TLR it's a challenge to check out other boards, but MD will be the exception cause all of my fellow pro athletes who I competed with are here, I'm in good company.

I'll try to answer some questions off the cuff....

John O'Reagan did help me out just before I turned pro for the Nationals. He's a good guy and I would recommend him to anyone. I never had a prep coach, so I don't have a favorite.

I've always stuck to a strict diet pre-contest for 12 weeks. I would eat the same thing every meal: that would be fish (6 lbs a day, flounder). Steamed vegetables (six cups, mixed frozen vegetables). Brown rice (six cups). Gallon of water a day.

I never did a keto diet or no carb diet pre-show. During the prep I would gain anywhere from 3-5 lbs of muscle a week. Training really, really heavy, sleeping ten hours a day, eating right, but I would have to attribute 90% of what I did to genetics. In fact, 90% of pro bodybuilding is genetics. Maybe more.

There's a lot of sacrifice, not quitting, visualizing, having a goal sitting in your head. So whatever genetics are, tap into it, tap into your strength, and put the hammer down guys. If you don't have my genetics, you can still carry yourself like a champion and reach your potential that's all that matters. Don't forget to say your prayers at night, go to sleep with a clear conscience, wake up and continue the journey the next day.

As far as my off season, my training split was the same that is was pre-contest. Pushing movements day one (chest/shoulder/tris), day two, quads, day three, back, bis and hamstrings. Abs and calves every time I was in the gym. Day four was a rest, and I started it all again on day five, and so on. Train very heavy during off season.

So let's say I just finished the Arnold. I wouldn't do anything between now and June. I would cut the calories in half, eat three times a day and lose 40 lbs of muscle. Then in June, I'd start training and gaining 3-5 lbs of muscle a week and train heavy all the way up until Mr. Olympia.

I appreciate all the support and thank you for showing me some love here in the MD house.

Kevin Levrone

Hey Kevin,
    Six cups brown rice before cooking or after cooking???
    Thx.

As far as my off season, my training split was the same that is was pre-contest. Pushing movements day one (chest/shoulder/tris), day two, quads, day three, back, bis and hamstrings. Abs and calves every time I was in the gym. Day four was a rest, and I started it all again on day five, and so on. Train very heavy during off season.

Kevin Levrone
    So, Kevin, you actually trained every body part twice a week?
    example:
    Monday - pushing
    Tuesday - legs
    Wednesday - pulling
    Thursday - off
    Friday - pushing
    Saturday - legs
    Sunday - pulling

What was your diet during offseason when you was trying to add muscle mass, during your amateur days? I know it's impossible to remember exactly, just it would be great if you give an example...Was you taking a lot of calories carbs protein or there was no need for you very high cals to grow?

Thanks, Kevin!

DNTS, yes that's the correct daily split. My calories off season when adding muscle mass: roughly 4600 Calories. 380 grams of Protein. 250 grams Carbs. My amateur and pro diets were the same, I always ate clean and in roughly the same amounts.

ivan – 6 cups cooked rice.

Hope that helps!
    Kevin Levrone
    IFBB Pro Hall Of Fame
    Founder & CEO, Levrone Formula
    Editor-in-Chief, LevroneReport.com

why levrone 2000? the y2k thing is beyond played out

though you should have won in 2000
    "NOTHING IS TRIVIAL"

Looking back, do you think that had you not taken time off from training after a contest, and trained (and ate) year-round, that you might have been able to come in to contests with more muscle and possibly won an olympia?

DNTS, yes that's the correct daily split. My calories off season when adding muscle mass: roughly 4600 Calories. 380 grams of Protein. 250 grams Carbs. My amateur and pro diets were the same, I always ate clean and in roughly the same amounts.

Hope that helps!
    Thanks for reply, Kevin. Just one more quick question - if you was taking 380g protein and 250g carbs (2500 cals+calories from fat) during precontest and 4600 calories offseason, I'm assuming that you've increased carbs from 250g to x amount and fats, protein stayed the same as precontest?

Kevin what did you primarily do for a living when you were at your peak in bodybuilding?

Greetings from Spain Kevin, what was your diet cut on his transformation, can describe
    Thanks Brother

Hope that helps!
    kevin, 380g protein and 250g of carb in the off season is only 2520... the rest to 4600 calories was from fat?

Nobody

Men, you are awesome, your physic in the golden age...wow men amazing...Big shoulders...Big traps...the whole pack...Mr Levrone, how many excersises do you consider is good to do in a 3 days split routine ? and what do you think about eat in a week higher carbs and in the next week lower carbs (Mixing weeks to fight with the fat and u know marking abs ) ? THANKS A LOT...

Fowl The answer to your question is no. I would have burned myself and had a shorter career, with a lot more injuries.

DNTS- Upped carbs 50 grams, fat 10% and kept protein the same. Dropped out my cardio and would work out 3 days a week instead of 7 days.

SwaggerRandy Health club owner, and bodybuilding career was supporting me.

ivan How did you calculate the amount of calories based on the protein and carb count?

JackMichaeletc, I never did a high carb week with a low carb week, I would just up my cardio. For me if you stick to a strict diet, keep carbs medium to low, and do cardio. Then you'll end up looking the way you want. I suspect fluctuating carb and sodium is more of a risk, not knowing how you're body will respond, and it's also laziness not wanting to do cardio. Also, in terms of how many exercises in a three day split, whatever it takes to hit your muscle groups, it would be about 36-40 exercises, or whatever it takes to tear down your muscles. On average I would do four exercises per muscle.

I hope you guys know you can come to LevroneReport.com for more information all this stuff is contained in 300 videos that are all tagged.

Peace, Kevin
    Kevin Levrone
    IFBB Pro Hall Of Fame
    Founder & CEO, Levrone Formula
    Editor-in-Chief, LevroneReport.com

Hi Mr. Levrone, just wanted to say I am a big fan and am looking forward to following this thread!

Default KEVIN (BEST KING)LEVRON...

HRY kEVIN ,

WE (IN CANADA) SO HAPPY TO SEE U ON MD. WE LOVE UMAN.
    PS: ALL THE NEW BODYBUILDERS INCLUDING BRANCH ETC ARE DOING YOUR BEST POSE THAT U CAME UP WITH IT ( THE SIDE MOST MUSCULAR) IF U KNOW WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT.
    YOUR DIET PALN THAT U POSTED EARLIER WAS VERY HELPFUL FOR ME.

THANK U KEVIN (BEST KING) LEVRON .

Banned

Now is that fish, cooked weight? The 6lbs a day.

ivan – How did you calculate the amount of calories based on the protein and carb count?

Yes.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast