Muscular Development Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Winnipeg Jets Fan Thread

dude, the arena got sold out in 17 min!!!!

sell out every single freaking game.. CHA CHING!!
    Last edited by UkrainianGuy; March 9th, 2012 at 08:14 PM.
    Muscular Development Forum Rules :.

This Post May be found offensive & may contain offensive material, consider yourself advised.

Who is going to carry Jets games on TV?
    Well western Onatrio be Leafs or Jets territory?

who knows, so much work yet to be done... they dont even have a name, colors or a logo yet!

This Post May be found offensive & may contain offensive material, consider yourself advised.

Default JETS?!

SO besides ppl gobbling up the tickets and then scalping them and cops calling these ppl trying to catch them, people are wondering why someone who had ONE season ticket to the AHL team was allowed 4 tickets?!

8000 people paid $50 to be on a waitin list, nonrefundable.

Many fans are sad and upset. Happy but po'd about how fast the tickets went. True North Management admitted they had no clue how high the demand was (error #1).

Do they make error #2 and make Winnipeg get use to the Winnipeg... Polar Bears, Moose, Gold, Blizzard, White Out for the next 5 years?

Or do they make all those fans who feel left out cause they couldnt get tickets, happier and name the team the JETS. There has been a huge cry for the Winnipeg NHL franchise to be called the Jets, which is growing louder and louder as time goes by.

True North claims to be in touch with its community, hence why Winnipeg even has a franchise... guess we will find out!

Here are some new logo's floating around town...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by UkrainianGuy; June 8th, 2011 at 01:00 AM.

Default Winnipeg Jets

Here are the previous logo's...

ukg did u get a season ticket?
    The world's best spoon's player

No i did NOT!!!!!

I tried like a mofo, i know a few ppl so i may get invited if i buy enough beers lol

i'd be pretty sweet to watch the first season from a box seat eh? i heard on hnic it took 2 mins to sell out and 15 mins to do all the transactions. so i understand how hard a ticket must be to get.

Default Confirmed: Winnipeg NHL team name announcement “imminent”, “…will be the Jets”.

All of us fans of the Winnipeg Jets hockey history and tradition can finally breath today. We have been told, off the record, by multiple sources inside True North Sports and Entertainment and the NHL that a team name for Winnipeg’s new NHL franchise has been decided on, and that name is the Jets.

What no one would, or could, tell us, is whether the team will be called The Winnipeg Jets, or The Manitoba Jets. Both WinnipegJets.com and ManitobaJets.com seem to be hosted with the same hosting company as MTSCentre.ca, however both still appear to be owned by outside groups.

Our reliable sources have told us that the Jets name announcement is “imminent“, that it could come “Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday… or Friday morning“. “It will be the Jets“ is an exact quote from multiple sources, who have proven nothing but honest and reliable in the past. The announcement will almost certainly be made at the MTS Centre, by Mark Chipman, much the same as the announcement of the return of the NHL to Winnipeg on May 31st. Once source told me that “the fan reaction left us little choice“ but to revive the Jets moniker, and that the mood inside True North is one of “pure excitement, pure joy“ that the organization will be announcing the naming of the former Atlanta Thrashers franchise as the Jets.

I will be horribly disappointed if they go with Manitoba, simply for the fact that the Winnipeg Jets brand is so well known and respected around the world. However… Manitoba Jets is the one name compromise I can possibly live with. It doesn’t sound like we will know which one it will be until True North makes the official announcement… which we have been assured will take place this week.

As soon as I was able to confirm this story early this morning, I sat down with our editor Barb to decide whether or not to publish this information. Our sources were either sworn to secrecy, or overheard things they were not supposed to hear. There is no doubt that our franchise and ownership group do not want this leaked, as they have a well thought out plan for their new brand launch.

We have more respect and love for the entire True North Sports and Entertainment organization, especially for the visible ownership, than a journalistic organization should ever really have for anyone they are reporting on… but it is impossible not to. Everyone in Winnipeg, and Jets fans around the world, owe these men and women a huge round of applause and eternal gratitude. From the outset, Mr. Chipman and company have acted in the most respectable, professional manner possible. While other ownership groups, potential owners, and city councils around the league butted heads privately and publicly with the NHL and each other, our True North team sat back and worked hard to show legitimately and conclusively that Winnipeg was the right market for the NHL to move to, if and when a franchise became available. In true Canadian fashion they operated in a polite, respectful way toward every party they worked with. We certainly do not want to burn our bridges with the official, on the record, spokespeople of this model organization.. but Barb and I came to the only conclusion we could really come to while still retaining our independence and integrity… our loyalty has to be first and foremost to our readers. We had no option but to publish this news.

We certainly hope we will not spoil the Jets’ brand roll out, but I don’t think we will. This announcement is coming soon and when they make it, the sports world will EXPLODE as it did after the sale of the team and season ticket drive were announced. As we witnessed unprecedented demand for tickets to the new NHL team, we will witness even more unprecedented merchandise and jersey sales for the new look Winnipeg Jets. Less if they make the mistake of using The Manitoba Jets.

We have been working on this story diligently since the day we found out that the deal had been made to bring the Thrashers to Winnipeg. Until yesterday, everyone we have talked to had said that a name had not been chosen… a story that changed across the board over the past 24 hours. For those who are rightly skeptical about today’s announcement here on YourWinnipegJets.com, since we are the first to report this news and it won’t appear in the Free Press and other sources for a couple more days, let me point to the fact that our inside sources were the first to leak the news that the Thrashers deal was complete. We were a day ahead of other publications in reporting when and where that announcement would be made. TSN and the other major sports publications following this will not report on it until they get their invitations to be at the MTS Centre… as we saw during the sale announcement.

This publication exists to support the NHL in Winnipeg, and by extension the team’s owners, True North Sports and Entertainment Limited. To date, we have had nothing but overwhelmingly positive things to say about the organization… that is because in our collective opinion, they have acted absolutely perfectly from day one. However, if we ever don’t see eye to eye, we will not hesitate to criticize the club when we think it is deserved. We would not be very good sports writers if we did not. Unlike less partisan publications, however, our commentary will always come from a love of the Winnipeg Jets, and a desire to see our club be as successful as possible both on the ice and off. Speaking for myself, I am extremely confident that we are watching True North build an organization that will be the envy of the league for years to come. They have proven themselves again with this decision on the name. I could not be more happy to have confirmed that the name will be the Jets… the idea of watching our great hockey players in Manitoba Falcons jerseys while the crowd chants “go Jets go“ had been keeping me up at night. Last night I had the best sleep I have had in a month, and it is my absolute pleasure to be able to share this news with fellow Jets fans this morning. This is a moment I will remember for the rest of my life, and I know it will be the same for many of you more traditional fans who have been hoping we would see the name revived. Congratulations, Winnipeg! After 15 long years, our Jets are finally home.

Unfortunately, we have no solid information as to when the announcement will be made, which leads me to believe that they are still in the process of making that decision. Speculation and common sense point to either immediately after the board of governors approve the sale and relocation tomorrow, June 21st, in New York, or shortly before or during the 2011 NHL entry draft on Friday, June 24th, in Minneapolis. The only thing we know for sure is that the announcement will be made before the Jets make their first selection, 7th overall, in Friday’s draft. Our sources were unanimous in that regard… so we will beyond a doubt have the name Jets made official this week.

Whether or not they will unveil a team logo, colour scheme, and set of jerseys at the time of the announcement, or at the draft, is also unclear and apparently still undecided. What is nearly certain is that True North will not hold a contest or anything like that to pick them. They are almost certainly choosing between a number of concepts created for them. What is certain; I can hardly wait to see them, and for my first couple jerseys to arrive!

I would like to personally thank everyone who signed the Winnipeg Jets name petition, and everyone who supported saving the name in their own way… from posting about it online to talking about it in bars and everywhere else.

Thanks to the brilliant management of our team by True North and Entertainment, we can finally sit back and celebrate the return of the Jets… what we have been praying and begging for for the past 15 years.

Remember where you are when you first read this, and remember where you heard it first… on YourWinnipegJets.com. Ladies and gentlemen, your Jets are back in Winnipeg!

If you would like to support this site, please purchase your new Winnipeg Jets jerseys and other Jets merchandise through our link to Shop.NHL.com! We thank everyone for their support this past month, we could not have expected the response we have received from you readers! I realize the site and forum are still somewhat ugly, but we are waiting to see the new Jets colours and logo before we upgrade our design. I hope you will continue to enjoy our reporting, commentary, and general fun Winnipeg Jets stuff! Good luck to all of you in our first (hopefully Winnipeg) Jets ticket contest!

Finally, below is the rest of that excellent Winnipeg Jets brand concept created by Fraser Davidson and Brian Gundell. This was brought to my attention by our friends over at WinnipegJets.info. As I mentioned, True North will likely be selecting between concepts created for them, so there is not much chance that this one will be in contention. We will of course report on it as soon as they announce anything… but until then, it’s fun to look at these and imagine what our team might look like next year. Click on the images to view them full sized.

ty god.

Default JOHN LU: IMPRESSIONS OF WINNIPEG'S DRAFT PARTY

The other shoe dropped to close the book on the great name debate. The approval felt like True North Sports and Entertainment brass could've heard the roar all the way to the Xcel Energy Center in St. Paul's, Minnesota.
    "Mr. Kevin Cheveldayoff will make the first pick of behalf of the Winnipeg Jets."

When team owner Mark Chipman, in true Winnipeg fashion, understatedly declared the nickname "Jets", the thunderous cheer felt like a physical blow from where I was standing on the floor of the MTS Centre. I've covered four seasons of Montreal Canadiens games at the Bell Centre, so trust me on this one. It was a deafening roar that rivaled any which I've experienced at a live event.

It was like a joyous release from four thousand fans, sounding like a capacity crowd. I'm guessing it was a preview of what the atmosphere will be like at the MTS Centre when more than 15,000 fans will pack the building for every Jets home game starting this fall.

It also was a seminal moment to cement the relationship between Chipman and the fans. He gave his blood, sweat and tears (and substantial dollars) to bring the NHL back to Winnipeg. The fans repaid his largesse by selling out the season ticket base of 13,000 seats in a heartbeat. What was left for Chipman to give in return? He gave the people what they wanted.
    The symbol, the identity, the calling card of the pulse of hockey beating within Winnipeggers' hearts.

An aside to the "official announcement of the name": In the moments leading up to the Jets' pick, the buzz in the crowd was like a gathering storm -- noise and energy waiting to explode. When we came out of the commercial break it was so loud in the building, TSN had to scrap my live hit because I couldn't hear James Duthie in my earpiece, who was trying to link up with us from St. Paul's. When you can't hear James Duthie shouting in your ear, you know it's loud around you.

Seconds later when the Jets VP & GM Kevin Cheveldayoff again uttered "Winnipeg Jets" to preface the pick, his announcement of the player's identity was almost drowned out. Subsequently, the reaction was muted when Mark Scheifele went at Number 7. You got the sense that fans in the building were asking, "Mark Who?".

However, because of the way Cheveldayoff described the Barrie Colts centre -- as a player possessing the character and values the organization wants to foster within the team -- my guess is that Winnipeg fans will quickly warm to a young man who evidently reflects the humility and sincerity of the community which he will make his first NHL home. Plus, it can't hurt that Scheifele's junior coach, Dale Hawerchuk, gives his glowing endorsement. If you can't trust a Hall of Famer and icon in Jets history, whom can you trust?
    You can understand the fans' initial confusion/disappointment, no disrespect to Scheifele. Two picks earlier they lustily booed Islanders' GM Garth Snow when he chose Ryan Strome. Jets fans, dazzled by Strome's viral YouTube double dangle goal and enthusiastic hype built by the Winnipeg sports media, coveted the Niagara Ice Dogs product.

That visceral reaction simply said that these fans, and thousands of their brethren around the city and country who were watching the draft, are truly plugged in. They know their hockey and they love their Jets.

Here's another example of how plugged in they are. Even though a large portion of the fans in attendance would've been infants or had never seen an NHL game in Winnipeg when the Jets left in 1996, they let it be known that the old Smythe Division rivalry is alive and well in The Peg. When the Edmonton Oilers were called to the podium to make their first overall pick, Steve Tambellini received the second loudest boo of the evening. Realignment, anybody?

The loudest boo of the evening? One hint: He opened the evening's proceedings.

Commissioner Gary Bettman is forever doomed to be a villain in Winnipeg. No matter how many times and ways he explains why the team left in the first place, most Winnipeggers refuse to cut him slack. I found it interesting that in an interview with Tim Campbell published in last Saturday's Winnipeg Free Press, he described the typical reaction he gets from the city's fans as "a routine" rather than criticism. Hmm.

No matter. The fans shortly thereafter cheered Bettman loudly when he welcomed Winnipeg and its fans back to the NHL fold. Is all forgiven over that little relocation thing from 15 years ago? Let's find out when Winnipeg hosts its first All Star Game or Entry Draft and the Commissioner is back in town.
    As memorable as the cheers, boos and buzz from the crowd were, I was once again reminded of how inviting and friendly Winnipeggers are from my interactions with them throughout the evening. Unfailingly polite, scores of them sought pictures with TSN's Draft Day representative and a few moments to talk hockey. I even ran into a couple of friends from Red Lake, Ontario as echoes of my former career. I've always said that Winnipeg demonstrates one degree of separation.

I met Dancing Gabe Langlois, the holdover from the first Jets era who is a local legend for entertaining Winnipeg crowds with his self-styled gyrations in the stands. Gabe is the classical paradoxical performer -- a wildman when the adrenaline of the crowd is fueling him, but normally a soft-spoken, cordial gentleman with a self-conscious handshake who looks like a financial advisor.
    Come to think of it, he looks like my financial advisor.

But to borrow from TSN's vernacular, my Highlight of the Night came at the request of a young fan who asked me to tape a video greeting to his friend Tyson who is fighting cancer.

People in the sports media are greatly privileged to be a part of the public's everyday lives. I've always felt we're ordinary people who are blessed with extraordinary careers. For that reason it was an honour to be asked to give encouragement to a young man whose battle will be as singularly challenging as Mark Chipman's was to bring the Jets back to Winnipeg.

My fervent hope is that Tyson will be adding his voice to those boisterous crowds of more than 15,000 fans who will cheer their Winnipeg Jets at every home game starting this fall.

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast