Muscular Development Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Results 69 to 85 of 124

Thread: What do you consider physically "strong"?

  1. #69
    Forum Leader: Chemical Enhancement
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    16,095
    Gender
    Male

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by He-Man View Post
    I've lifted weights off and on for almost 30 yrs now. During that time I have competed in powerlifting and then strongman for 5 year.....I thought I new muscle soreness and what true strength was until I got into strongman. You use muscles you didn't even know you had lol.
    Very, very true. Example: you could take a powerlifter whose always pulling deads and have him do the stones...his back will be sore as hell in areas he has never touched.

    For example, I could bench 400lbs for 10 good reps, squat 500 for reps and dead lift 500 for reps but flipping 1000 lbs tires a few times or lifting 300 lb plus atlas stones, walking with 270 lb farmers walks in each hand as fast as you can for 100 feet or pulling a fire engine is TRUE strength and i doubt most advanced bbers would last a 2 hr strongman workout....let alone doing that to themselves twice a week or more.
    Strongman is the MOST brutal form of training there is...period, and I'm not even a strongman. I have messed with the stones (getting a 350 lb stone), the log (pressing a 320 lb log), farmers walks (using 260-270 lbr's..which is how I injured my knee, as it was the 1st tme I did them and fucked myself up...dumb), the Tires (900 lb tire was all they had), and many other events (I was fortunate enough to know a few guys who had virtually every strongman aparatus known (they spent 10'000s of $$$)....and I will tell you...NOTHING was more brutalizing on my body and more exhausting than intense strongman training....nothing.

    when those strongmen walked out on the ASC stage they were like aliens lol the average height was 6 foot 4 and the average weight was over 350 lbs....yes they were not ripped hahaha but mother fuker they were massive and damn strong humans!!!
    Yep....no one carries more msucle mass than those elite strongmen.

  2. #70
    Forum Leader: Chemical Enhancement
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    16,095
    Gender
    Male

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by coco.austin View Post
    I'm not taking roids because i'm 17...
    Smart choice.

  3. #71
    Amateur Threat House.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    1,948

    Default

    Most bodybuilders with small joints, would get dislocated wrists and knees if they trained like a strongman.
    Being a champion in any field means pushing the boundaries of society

  4. #72
    Forum Leader: Chemical Enhancement
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    16,095
    Gender
    Male

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Dawson View Post
    This is completely ridiculous. By this logic you are saying that a 300lb person who can deadlift 800lbs is not strong????? A 300lb man who can "only bench 575" is not strong???? A 300lb man who can raw squat 800lbs is not strong???? Wow man, this is a ridiculous statement in my opinion. (im assuming you are referring to raw lifts) Lol sorry Ronnie, your not strong, sorry Mariusz Pudzianowski you are not strong, sorry Brian Shaw you are not strong, sorry Bill Kazmier you are not strong, sorry Svend Karlson you are not strong, sorry Magnus Samuelson you are not strong.
    I hear ya'.

  5. #73
    Bro Scientist lilGiant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    4,142
    Gender
    Male

    Default strength

    compared to who? If you are comparing doing 315 deadlifts for a few sets of 10 that is physically stronger than 90% of America. And even though I can do much more than that, to me that is still very strong.
    Last edited by lilGiant; March 31st, 2011 at 12:41 PM. Reason: spelling
    Become comfortable with being uncomfortable.
    F.I.T. Corps

  6. #74
    Amateur Threat THE ANALYST's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    1,373

    Default

    AS I SAID OP IS TALKING ABOUT POWER NOT STRENGTH

  7. #75
    Beast Elf's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    In your butt.
    Posts
    10,934
    Gender
    Male

    Default

    My father a few years back would do nothing but eat Ramen, Muscle Milk drinks, and some fish. He was 6' 275lbs at maybe 12-15%bf.

    The guy would go to the gym with me and incline press 315lbs for around 12 reps for a few sets, then hit flat presses with 405 for around 10 reps for a few sets. After that we'd do a few more pump sets... Then wait a few minutes and hit legs. He'd hit 495lbs on the squat for about 8-10 reps for a few sets, then do a few pump sets.

    The day after we'd do back and he start off with deads and be knocking 500lbs for 6-10 reps for a few sets, then BB rows with 405 for a few solid sets.

    Always had picture perfect form, and strong as a fucking ox. Never had an off-day with strength.

    Now he is 6' 230lbs at about 10% bf, and a lot more into family time and is still knocking 405 for about 8 reps for a few sets on the flat bench.

    To me, that is strong, especially for just being an average gym rat kind of guy that is in the gym maybe 3 days a week.
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael_Edwards View Post
    i'm twice Compton's size..
    Quote Originally Posted by RockyIII View Post
    just like some folks can be cured of cancer, homosexulaity is also treatable
    Quote Originally Posted by mayor of bodybuilding View Post
    Large Oiled up Muscular men in Thongs! Its called Heaven! Oh Yeah!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    My Enhanced Journal.

  8. #76
    Bro Scientist bigrgc's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    4,593

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by He-Man View Post
    I've lifted weights off and on for almost 30 yrs now. During that time I have competed in powerlifting and then strongman for 5 year.....I thought I new muscle soreness and what true strength was until I got into strongman. You use muscles you didn't even know you had lol. For example, I could bench 400lbs for 10 good reps, squat 500 for reps and dead lift 500 for reps but flipping 1000 lbs tires a few times or lifting 300 lb plus atlas stones, walking with 270 lb farmers walks in each hand as fast as you can for 100 feet or pulling a fire engine is TRUE strength and i doubt most advanced bbers would last a 2 hr strongman workout....let alone doing that to themselves twice a week or more.

    when those strongmen walked out on the ASC stage they were like aliens lol the average height was 6 foot 4 and the average weight was over 350 lbs....yes they were not ripped hahaha but mother fuker they were massive and damn strong humans!!!
    That's very impressive. I love the strongman events
    All statements made herein are fictional and are solely for entertainment purposes

  9. #77
    Amateur Threat KINic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Quebec, Canada
    Posts
    1,463

    Default

    High reps with heavy weight are always impressing the shit out of me.

    Like seeing someone blast 20 reps on the frontsquat with 225. Or doing 10 chin-up with a 45 pound plate, or 10 dips with two or three.

  10. #78
    Mini Forklift Ⓥ
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Dawson View Post
    This is completely ridiculous. By this logic you are saying that a 300lb person who can deadlift 800lbs is not strong????? A 300lb man who can "only bench 575" is not strong???? A 300lb man who can raw squat 800lbs is not strong???? Wow man, this is a ridiculous statement in my opinion. (im assuming you are referring to raw lifts) Lol sorry Ronnie, your not strong, sorry Mariusz Pudzianowski you are not strong, sorry Brian Shaw you are not strong, sorry Bill Kazmier you are not strong, sorry Svend Karlson you are not strong, sorry Magnus Samuelson you are not strong.
    Those numbers I put down (strength being relative to bodyweight), are obviously a lot harder to hit as your weight goes up. Sorry, I guess I didn't think it through.
    It is strange though, as I have done a 2 x bw bench and more than a 2 x bw squat, and I am currently working towards a 3 x bw DL. How does that work then, as I'm definately not stronger than a Strongman comeptitor ?! Bodyweight goes up and the ratio's come down?..

  11. #79
    Spotter g4owensj's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Posts
    214
    Gender
    Male

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TinyStyley View Post
    Those numbers I put down (strength being relative to bodyweight), are obviously a lot harder to hit as your weight goes up. Sorry, I guess I didn't think it through.
    It is strange though, as I have done a 2 x bw bench and more than a 2 x bw squat, and I am currently working towards a 3 x bw DL. How does that work then, as I'm definately not stronger than a Strongman comeptitor ?! Bodyweight goes up and the ratio's come down?..

    What are the bodyfat ratio's of you vs a stongman? That definatly comes into play, even looking at body structure in relation to skeletal structure. Shorter smaller framed individuals have "mechanics" in there favor as well, less distance to move the same objects (think of moments and torque ratios).
    Embrace the suck!

  12. #80
    Mini Forklift Ⓥ
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by g4owensj View Post
    What are the bodyfat ratio's of you vs a stongman? That definatly comes into play, even looking at body structure in relation to skeletal structure. Shorter smaller framed individuals have "mechanics" in there favor as well, less distance to move the same objects (think of moments and torque ratios).
    Bodyfat levels, yeah I can see that.
    Having said that, if I'm 150 with around 5-8% and can press the 100 dumbbells, what are the limiting factors in a 300lb guy with a similar bodyfat percentage being able to press the 200's?

  13. #81
    Forum Leader: No Bull Sports, MD Pets! paradox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    12,755

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Elf View Post
    My father a few years back would do nothing but eat Ramen, Muscle Milk drinks, and some fish. He was 6' 275lbs at maybe 12-15%bf.

    The guy would go to the gym with me and incline press 315lbs for around 12 reps for a few sets, then hit flat presses with 405 for around 10 reps for a few sets. After that we'd do a few more pump sets... Then wait a few minutes and hit legs. He'd hit 495lbs on the squat for about 8-10 reps for a few sets, then do a few pump sets.

    The day after we'd do back and he start off with deads and be knocking 500lbs for 6-10 reps for a few sets, then BB rows with 405 for a few solid sets.

    Always had picture perfect form, and strong as a fucking ox. Never had an off-day with strength.

    Now he is 6' 230lbs at about 10% bf, and a lot more into family time and is still knocking 405 for about 8 reps for a few sets on the flat bench.

    To me, that is strong, especially for just being an average gym rat kind of guy that is in the gym maybe 3 days a week.
    God damn thats big man. I love hearing about men like your father, I call those genuanlly strong men. Men who work all day and have lives, who dont lay around all day eating fish only to train 2 hours a day and spend 22 hours sleeping.
    NYC Golden Gloves...Here I come!

  14. #82
    Forum Leader: Chemical Enhancement
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    16,095
    Gender
    Male

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TinyStyley View Post
    Bodyfat levels, yeah I can see that.
    Having said that, if I'm 150 with around 5-8% and can press the 100 dumbbells, what are the limiting factors in a 300lb guy with a similar bodyfat percentage being able to press the 200's?
    The bigger you get, in general, the more the ratios go down. This is why you will sometime see a smaller man hitting the numbers you claim, but never will you see a 300 lb man, even if he is 10% BF, hitting those same numbers, especially in all 3 lifts. 3X bodyweight on squat and deadlift in a 300 lb man is insane. That is a 900 lb squat and pull! Even a 2X bodyweight bench is 600 lbs for that same guy, which is also very, very good. If someone could hit those 3 lifts raw, he would have the highest powerlifting total in the world! In other words, a larger man doesn't have to be anywhere close to those stats to be considered very strong.

  15. #83
    Spotter Matt Dawson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Cleveland, OH
    Posts
    50
    Gender
    Male

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lilGiant View Post
    compared to who? If you are comparing doing 315 deadlifts for a few sets of 10 that is physically stronger than 90% of America. And even though I can do much more than that, to me that is still very strong.
    Lol cmon now man, lets be honest. If somebody is doing deadlifts at 315 for 3x10 then he is stronger than 99% of America, actually he would be stronger than 99.99% of the world in my honest opinion...seriously.

    You've got to keep in mind that we are a freaky cult-like sub culture...that may not be THAT much in our little cult like community, but compared to the rest of the world its strong as all hell.

  16. #84
    Spotter g4owensj's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Posts
    214
    Gender
    Male

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TinyStyley View Post
    Bodyfat levels, yeah I can see that.
    Having said that, if I'm 150 with around 5-8% and can press the 100 dumbbells, what are the limiting factors in a 300lb guy with a similar bodyfat percentage being able to press the 200's?
    Body mechanics and physics, but I would like to see a 300 lb man at 5 to 7% BF. The longer your arms are the farther away the weight is so you have what's called a moment (or torque) which is force x distance. Which basically says, the farther away the movement is from the moter the more powerful the motor needs to be. So in weightlifting, the longer the arm (apendage) the more muscle (power) it takes to move the same weight. Basically the larger your structure, the more disadvantaged you are.
    Embrace the suck!

  17. #85
    GeorgeForemanRules
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Elf View Post
    My father a few years back would do nothing but eat Ramen, Muscle Milk drinks, and some fish. He was 6' 275lbs at maybe 12-15%bf.

    The guy would go to the gym with me and incline press 315lbs for around 12 reps for a few sets, then hit flat presses with 405 for around 10 reps for a few sets. After that we'd do a few more pump sets... Then wait a few minutes and hit legs. He'd hit 495lbs on the squat for about 8-10 reps for a few sets, then do a few pump sets.

    The day after we'd do back and he start off with deads and be knocking 500lbs for 6-10 reps for a few sets, then BB rows with 405 for a few solid sets.

    Always had picture perfect form, and strong as a fucking ox. Never had an off-day with strength.

    Now he is 6' 230lbs at about 10% bf, and a lot more into family time and is still knocking 405 for about 8 reps for a few sets on the flat bench.

    To me, that is strong, especially for just being an average gym rat kind of guy that is in the gym maybe 3 days a week.
    Ur dad is a fat bitch, post pics or STFU.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •