Muscular Development Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 3 of 204 FirstFirst 1234567891011121353103 ... LastLast

Thread: "The Truth" w/ Eric Broser (Q&A and Training Articles)

Quote Originally Posted by bodyfx2 View Post
    Anyone else have a request for the next one? I hear one for shoulders and one for chest!!
    Oh man.....requests for every body part. Just keep 'em comin, that's all we ask.
    "Life is about choices: tap, nap, or SNAP!" ~ Future UFC Lightweight Champion Marcus Hicks

Eric, thank you for this. I can see this becoming one of the most valuable threads here.

Forum Leader: Performance, Nattie, Training bodyfx2's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vin View Post
    Eric, thank you for this. I can see this becoming one of the most valuable threads here.
    You are welcome. It is my pleasure!

What I now plan to do is put up a new training article every Monday. Also, if you guys wish, you can use this thread as a Q and A with me on anything regarding my articles or any other bodybuilding topic (sort of like Layne's thread in the natty section).

Thanks for your support.
    CEO BBuilt International www.broserbuilt.com
    NGA
    PRO BODYBUILDER
    PRRS/FDFS PIONEER

Quote Originally Posted by V Shredder View Post
    Oh man.....requests for every body part. Just keep 'em comin, that's all we ask.
    You gave me this idea bro, so I thank you. And yes, I will keep it coming on a weekly basis!
    NGA
    PRO BODYBUILDER
    PRRS/FDFS PIONEER

Q and A. Trap thickness? I am doing a great got of getting height, but that thickness (the kind you need for a most muscular (i.e. see Eric's or VS's avatar). That is escaping me at the moment. No good to have tall traps that are paper thin. Of course I do shrugs with db's. Use really good form (if I do say so myself) and use a pause at the top of the movement to really contract those things. I also do narrow grip upright rows, but don't really feel those in my traps. At least not the top of that muscle.
    Traps have always been a muscle that impresses me. I love the gap people get from the pec to trap. To me that is poetry.

And apparently you got it done. Thanks bro.
    My pleasure bro. But all thanks should go to BlueDevil....

Quote Originally Posted by Toddbz View Post
    Q and A. Trap thickness? I am doing a great got of getting height, but that thickness (the kind you need for a most muscular (i.e. see Eric's or VS's avatar). That is escaping me at the moment. No good to have tall traps that are paper thin. Of course I do shrugs with db's. Use really good form (if I do say so myself) and use a pause at the top of the movement to really contract those things. I also do narrow grip upright rows, but don't really feel those in my traps. At least not the top of that muscle.
    Traps have always been a muscle that impresses me. I love the gap people get from the pec to trap. To me that is poetry.
    That would be a great article, Eric. My traps are not very good at all to be completely honest. They only look good when I pose them but that's because I was taught how to pose them in the most muscular. When I'm just walking around, you can't even tell I have any. And that really makes me mad because I've trained the hell out of them and they are stonger than fuck. Ounce per ounce, they are easily my stongest muscle next to my calves, which also suck harder than Barry Champlain at family reunion. I mean, I can shrug 600 friggin pounds on the shrug machine and well over 400 on freeweights, but they wont grow or stand up like say, Johnny Jackson's. Is that genetic, you think?

Calves, bro........*whimpers and throws himself on floor* .........ya gotta help me out here, man! I'm embarrassed to wear shorts. They just wont grow. Here's the deal...maybe it's something I'm doing wrong, something I'm not focusing on properly, or whatever: standing calves I can do the whole 350 pound stack plus a 45 for 3 sets of 15. Same with donkey calves.

Sitting calves are another story. The most I can do is 90 pounds (45x2). If I go any heavier, I can still pull off a few reps, but no matter how or where I position my feet, it's the front part around the outside of the shin that starts hurting way before the calf muscles themselves. And I mean HURT.

The guys at the gym are all bros, but they like to watch me do calves because I can do more than they can and they never grow!!

They are permenantly stuck at 14".

Ok, let the laughing beggin. C'mon. Ya'll wont surprise me, I've heard it all before.......bring it.
    "Life is about choices: tap, nap, or SNAP!" ~ Future UFC Lightweight Champion Marcus Hicks

No kidding VS. I envy those people that just naturally have those nice diamond calves. Mine are like a lump (small one at that) on the back of my leg. I doubt I'll ever have that split that looks so good. Hell I was a pro cyclist for years and didn't have it then. Lately I have switched my mentality towards calf development. I used to just hammer out the reps with lots of weight. I found oddly enough that I could feel it more in my feet than in my calves. So I lightened the weight considerably and focused on contraction and the negative movement. Lo and behold I have seen some improvement. Now remember I have long legs (34in inseam). What I did exactly is to work for peak contraction and squeeze the piss out of them at the top. Now that takes at least a 1 count at the top, then lower the weight slowly for a 3 count basically. Working on getting a full stretch at the bottom. I am lucky at this if I can get 10 reps for a set.
    I don't know if I've ever shared this with you, but it's a pretty cool site that shows muscles and their function.
    http://www.getbodysmart.com/ap/muscu...menu/menu.html
    That muscle you are referring to on the from of your lower leg is the tibialis anterior (hey I can't help it my wife is working on her masters in nursing). You should be able to strengthen that by the simple negative movement while doing calves. If it still hurts try this simple distance running trick. Sitting down with your legs at about a 90 degree angle, simple tap your toes on the floor. Meaning pretend that you are your favorite metal band's drummer getting down on the base drum.You don't have to go fast. Just pick your toes up as far as you can leaving your heel on the ground. Super simple, and you can do it anywhere. Do that 3 times a day for about a minute each time, and that should do the trick.
    Or maybe if we both combine calves we could have something worth showing?

Trap thickness comes about from heavy weights, time under tension, good form and a variety of shrug types (unless you just have great traps genetics).

Most of my trap thickness has some from rack deadlifting very heavy weight for 8-10 reps. I also utilize several forms of shrugs including hammer machine, BB, DB, standing calf machine, and smith machine behind the back shrugs. I also will use CG BB upright rows, but these are more effective for the mid-traps.

I sometimes do a movement which is a deadlift/shrug combo, whereby I deadlift a weight off of pins set at about knee height...then perform a shrug at the top...then lower and repeat. This will really fry the traps and also smash the lower back.

Also, never get stuck in one rep range for traps. Train them with everything from 4-6 reps on up to 16-20 reps. Further, change grip widths on BB shrugs from close to wide.

Never compromise your range of motion for heavier weights. You should shrug high enough to almost bury your traps in your ears.

Hope that helps.
    NGA
    PRO BODYBUILDER
    PRRS/FDFS PIONEER

That would be a great article, Eric. My traps are not very good at all to be completely honest. They only look good when I pose them but that's because I was taught how to pose them in the most muscular. When I'm just walking around, you can't even tell I have any. And that really makes me mad because I've trained the hell out of them and they are stonger than fuck. Ounce per ounce, they are easily my stongest muscle next to my calves, which also suck harder than Barry Champlain at family reunion. I mean, I can shrug 600 friggin pounds on the shrug machine and well over 400 on freeweights, but they wont grow or stand up like say, Johnny Jackson's. Is that genetic, you think?

Calves, bro........*whimpers and throws himself on floor* .........ya gotta help me out here, man! I'm embarrassed to wear shorts. They just wont grow. Here's the deal...maybe it's something I'm doing wrong, something I'm not focusing on properly, or whatever: standing calves I can do the whole 350 pound stack plus a 45 for 3 sets of 15. Same with donkey calves.

Sitting calves are another story. The most I can do is 90 pounds (45x2). If I go any heavier, I can still pull off a few reps, but no matter how or where I position my feet, it's the front part around the outside of the shin that starts hurting way before the calf muscles themselves. And I mean HURT.

The guys at the gym are all bros, but they like to watch me do calves because I can do more than they can and they never grow!!

They are permenantly stuck at 14".

Ok, let the laughing beggin. C'mon. Ya'll wont surprise me, I've heard it all before.......bring it.
    I did do an article on calves that I will present here soon!
    NGA
    PRO BODYBUILDER
    PRRS/FDFS PIONEER

I can do that trick while I'm sitting at my desk at work, thanks. Hope it helps.

Yeah I can't stand it when people have that great natural calf development. And even though I'm short in height, I have very long legs. Especially the lower legs. That and I have very high calves. I'm more than positive I'm doing something wrong just like I was doing with shoulders, and Eric fixed that. I can't wait to hear what he says about calves.

Trap thickness comes about from heavy weights, time under tension, good form and a variety of shrug types (unless you just have great traps genetics).

Most of my trap thickness has some from rack deadlifting very heavy weight for 8-10 reps. I also utilize several forms of shrugs including hammer machine, BB, DB, standing calf machine, and smith machine behind the back shrugs. I also will use CG BB upright rows, but these are more effective for the mid-traps.

I sometimes do a movement which is a deadlift/shrug combo, whereby I deadlift a weight off of pins set at about knee height...then perform a shrug at the top...then lower and repeat. This will really fry the traps and also smash the lower back.

Also, never get stuck in one rep range for traps. Train them with everything from 4-6 reps on up to 16-20 reps. Further, change grip widths on BB shrugs from close to wide.

Never compromise your range of motion for heavier weights. You should shrug high enough to almost bury your traps in your ears.

Hope that helps.
    Exellent. I believe that I am trying to work wonders with simply not enough variety to ensure maximum development for myself. You notice I never said anything about using different angles on any type of shrug...cause I don't do them. I certainly will now.
    I believe my course of action will to incorporate incline shrugs (facing the bench), and also bb bent over rows. I typically do one arm rows, but have maxed out the db's at my gym. Also behind the back shrugs ala Lee haney days should be fun to put some spice in there.
    Thank you.

I can do that trick while I'm sitting at my desk at work, thanks. Hope it helps.

Yeah I can't stand it when people have that great natural calf development. And even though I'm short in height, I have very long legs. Especially the lower legs. That and I have very high calves. I'm more than positive I'm doing something wrong just like I was doing with shoulders, and Eric fixed that. I can't wait to hear what he says about calves.
    *sitting here with the patience of a kid in a candy store*
    Man I gotta tell you. I'm excited about this. Lagging just sucks. lol

Exellent. I believe that I am trying to work wonders with simply not enough variety to ensure maximum development for myself. You notice I never said anything about using different angles on any type of shrug...cause I don't do them. I certainly will now.
    I believe my course of action will to incorporate incline shrugs (facing the bench), and also bb bent over rows. I typically do one arm rows, but have maxed out the db's at my gym. Also behind the back shrugs ala Lee haney days should be fun to put some spice in there.
    Thank you.
    You are more than welcome. Keep me posted on your progress!
    NGA
    PRO BODYBUILDER
    PRRS/FDFS PIONEER

Great thread my brother!!
    Strictly Business

Quote Originally Posted by Timski View Post
    Great thread my brother!!
    Thank you my brother!
    NGA
    PRO BODYBUILDER
    PRRS/FDFS PIONEER

POSITIONING FOR PECS

Although I pride myself on having a balanced and even physique, I would still have to say that my pecs are my “standout” body part. In the offseason, I generally wear a size 54 jacket, and only a 34 pant. My jacket size is mostly due to the mass and thickness of my chest more than anything else (which makes me wonder what size jacket Ronnie Coleman or Marcus Ruhl must wear...WOW). Whenever people see me with my shirt off, the majority of questions and comments I get are in regards to my pecs. “How much do you bench? How do you find shirts? Wow, your chest is bigger than my wife’s...and she has implants!!” But I digress...

The interesting thing about the fact that my chest is now my best body part is that when I started training, it was probably my worst! While I only weighed a paltry 125 lbs at a height of 5'11" the first time I touched a barbell, you could still see at least some muscular development in my arms, shoulders, and back. However, my chest was literally flat! I looked like an ironing board with nipples!

So, how did I get my chest to go from minuscule to massive...tiny to titanic... pathetic to powerful? Did I have a special, secret exercise taught to me by aliens from the planet Schwarzeneggeron? Nope. I just did the basics like bench presses, incline presses, flyes, dips, and pullovers. Did I have access to an experimental protein powder developed by Eastern Bloc scientists that caused site specific protein synthesis in the fast twitch fibers of the pectorals? Nope. I just used the same old whey, casein, and egg powders like everyone else.

“Great Eric...enough with the comedy. Just tell us your secret!”

Ok, it’s all about “positioning” my iron-addicted friends! “Positioning? What the heck are you talking about now?” Let me illustrate my point by telling you about a friend I used to train with years ago. Every time we would go through an intense chest workout, doing the same exact exercises, sets, and reps, he would tell me that his shoulders and triceps got a tremendous pump, but that his chest felt like it had hardly been worked. Within the next day or two he would again complain that he was sore as could be in his anterior delts and inner triceps, but felt nothing in his pecs. For me it was the exact opposite! My chest always got incredibly pumped and sore from training it, while my shoulders and triceps seemed barely touched.

Over the years that we trained together my chest continued to grow and grow, while his chest never changed much. However, his shoulders and triceps were developing quite nicely. The strange thing about my friend’s pec-dilemma was that he trained with great focus and concentration; used very tight and strict form; and progressed very regularly in terms of weight lifted in each of his chest exercises. He and I eventually chalked it up his lousy pecs to genetics. We felt that he simply did not have the genetic capacity to build a thick, massive chest.

Then one day, just for the fun of it, the two of us decided to videotape a chest training session when we were both nearing a competition we were preparing for. That day we did bench presses, incline dumbbell presses, flat flyes, and cable crossovers. We did a pretty complete job of taping all of the exercises from a variety of angles and heights. Later on, when we were watching the tape I began to notice something interesting in the way he was performing each of his exercises...something I never really caught onto before while acting as his spotter. On every movement, as he reached the top of the rep, his shoulders were ending up much higher than his pecs. This was making his chest basically concave at the point of contraction. In addition, he was also locking out very hard at the top...but you could see that he was not really locking out the rep by flexing his pecs, but his tris. However, when I examined my own form, I could see that my ribcage remained high throughout each set, while my shoulders stayed down, pressed into the bench.

My friend was effectively turning each of his pec exercises into shoulder and triceps exercises, while I was optimally stressing the chest with each movement. This is what I am talking about when I mention the word “positioning” in regard to chest training. As soon as I pointed out these “form flaws” to my friend he immediately set out to correct it. During his first chest workout using improved body positioning, he could feel a pump and burn in his chest like never before. He also started getting sore in his pecs, which is something he really never experienced. Within a few months his chest started taking on new fullness and shape, and began to quickly match up to his excellent delts and arms.

I urge any of you out there that feel your pecs to be lagging behind to have someone with a good eye examine your form on all of your chest movements. Every day that I am at the gym I see dozens of people with the same form flaws that my friend used to have. What people need to realize is that building a big chest is not as simple as lying on a bench...unracking a bar...and pushing it from point A to point B. No! Each chest exercise, whether it be a bench press, incline press, dip, flye, or crossover requires the exercise to begin before ever even moving the weight!

Here’s how to start properly POSITIONING FOR PECS:

1-lay down on the bench and set your feet firmly on the floor
    2-arch your lower back slightly
    3-raise your ribcage up high
    4-squeeze your scapulae together
    5-pull your shoulders downward and push them into the bench

*These same principles apply to dips, crossovers, and seated press and flye machines as well, with the exception of rule one (although the feet should always firmly be planted).

Now you are in position to achieve maximum pectoral recruitment with far less delt and triceps interference. The key, however, is to keep your body in this position throughout the set. It is not enough to start this way and then slowly break back into bad habits as the set progresses. You must learn to “lock”your body in this position and stay there!

Trust me when I tell you that if you are not used to performing your chest exercises this manner, it will feel awfully strange at first, and you will probably not be able to use the same weights as you normally do. However, with time, you will get used to POSITIONING FOR PECS, and it will become second nature, like driving a car. Also, you will eventually work up to the same poundage as you were using previously. The greatest reward will be the new growth you will quickly begin to see in your chest!

Apply POSITIONING FOR PECS to the chest routines listed below, but don’t be too upset if that tux hanging in your closet never sees the light of day again!

Upper Pec Pounder:

-Incline Dumbbell Press...3 x 6-8
    -Smith Bench Press to Neck...3 x 8-12
    -Superset: Incline Flye and Dumbbell Pullover...2 x 8-10 each

Middle Pec Madness:

-Narrow Grip Bench Press...3 x 6-8
    -Narrow Grip Smith Incline Press...3 x 8-12
    -Superset: Flat Cable Flye and Pec Deck...2 x 8-10 each

Lower Pec Pumper:

-Decline Bench Press...3 x 6-8
    -Decline Flye...3 x 8-12
    -Superset: Cable Crossover and Dips...2 x 8-10 each