Muscular Development Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 6 of 204 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151656106 ... LastLast

Thread: "The Truth" w/ Eric Broser (Q&A and Training Articles)

Quote Originally Posted by bodyfx2 View Post
    5-Tetra does not need to be cycled, and can be used indefinitely. For your bodyweight, about 4 tablets 45 minutes before training on an empty stomach (no real food).

When you mention the Halodrol are you speaking of the original, or the new, non-prohormonal product?
    The new one.
    Got ya on the real food. Pre workout drink (carbs, aminos, beta alanine) shouldn't hurt right? I've ready it should actually enhance those things.

could you repost the shoulder article? I remember seeing it but cant find it.

something specifically for triceps would be nice also.

thanks body

Forum Leader: Performance, Nattie, Training bodyfx2's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Toddbz View Post
    The new one.
    Got ya on the real food. Pre workout drink (carbs, aminos, beta alanine) shouldn't hurt right? I've ready it should actually enhance those things.
    You are ok with carbs/aminos/beta-alanine + Tetra

You can go right back into the Halodrol after the Novedex.
    CEO BBuilt International www.broserbuilt.com
    NGA
    PRO BODYBUILDER
    PRRS/FDFS PIONEER

Quote Originally Posted by cleanbulker View Post
    could you repost the shoulder article? I remember seeing it but cant find it.

something specifically for triceps would be nice also.

thanks body
    Which shoulder article?

As far as triceps, I have an arm feature that I can put up next week.
    NGA
    PRO BODYBUILDER
    PRRS/FDFS PIONEER

You are ok with carbs/aminos/beta-alanine + Tetra

You can go right back into the Halodrol after the Novedex.
    Exactly what I wanted to hear. Thanks

Which shoulder article?

As far as triceps, I have an arm feature that I can put up next week.
    I think he's talking about the one you sent me. The one I told them about.
    "Life is about choices: tap, nap, or SNAP!" ~ Future UFC Lightweight Champion Marcus Hicks

Quote Originally Posted by V Shredder View Post
    I think he's talking about the one you sent me. The one I told them about.
    Ok, I will post that one on Monday.
    NGA
    PRO BODYBUILDER
    PRRS/FDFS PIONEER

yes the shoulder one you were talking about.

and the arm feature/ tricep one would be great also.

thanks gents

J-O-E W-I-D-E-R
    Delts: Get Wide On The Sides

In part one of JOE WIDER I discussed with you the ins and outs (or is it “rights to lefts?”) of broadening your physique through the expansion of your “wing span,” aka, lat width. In part two I am going to talk about the second major muscle group that is responsible for making some bodybuilders a nuisance at movie theaters and on airplanes world-WIDE...the deltoids.

Few things look as impressive on a bodybuilder than a set of wide, thick, round shoulders. There are tons of guys with big chests and arms, but nothing screams BODYBUILDER like having a pair of “cannonballs” hanging off of your clavicles, literally challenging the stitching of every shirt you own! Whether being viewed from the front or rear, on the stage or in the street, it is the shoulders that “set off” the physique.

As you may already know, the deltoids are a three headed muscle with anterior (front), posterior (rear), and medial (side) portions. While it is extremely important to develop all three delt heads, it is the medial section that is mostly responsible for width. I don’t believe that I have ever seen anyone actually overdevelop the medial delt head, as I have never heard anyone criticized for being “too wide.” Some of the most exceptional physiques of our time are ones that show incredible side delt development. Think about men like Kevin Levrone, Paul Dillett, Gary Strydom, and Chris Cormier. As soon as these guys walk out on stage and turn to the front, the dramatic proportions of their physiques are immediately evident, and much of this has to do with the width of their shoulders. Just as I mentioned last month about wide lats, a pair of bowling ball delts will create the illusion of a smaller waist and more “sweeping” quads. If there is a downside to such “delt dimensions,” it would be the need for taliored shirts and having to walk sideways through some doors...but you can handle that...right?

So, what is the secret to building the medial deltoid to “comic-like” proportions? Well, the “secret,” if you want to call it that, lies in the correction of a few training mistakes and utilizing a “targeted” selection of exercises, done in a specific manner, that will selectively activate the side delt fibers. Before we move on to the actual shoulder widening routines, lets take a closer look at the most common mistakes being made in the gym by trainees seeking to “broaden their horizons.”

- WRONG EXERCISES: When I sit back and watch most guys go through their shoulder routines, one thing I almost always notice is the inclusion of more than one overhead pressing exercise, AND, a front raise movement on top of that! Talk about inefficient shoulder training! While at least one pressing movement should be included in each delt workout, there is certainly no need for a second. Further, when the main goal is increasing the width of the delts, front raises become rather obsolete. When looking to get wider, your concern is primarily with the medial head of the deltoid and nothing targets this better than side lateral movements and wide grip upright rows. This is not to say that you should ignore the anterior and posterior heads, but when seeking to prioritize one muscle, or section of a muscle, you need to “choose your weapons wisely!”

-POOR FORM: Most of the time that I see really well developed deltoids in the gym I almost invariably notice that the trainee that owns them uses lighter weights and executes each movement with precision and through a full range of motion. Shoulder training does not require ego, but excellence. Let me go through each basic movement individually and describe the mistakes that are commonly made, and how to troubleshoot them...(1) Overhead Presses-When it come to any overhead pressing exercise, the most frequent mistake that I see involves an incomplete range of motion. In an effort to exercise their ego rather than their delts, many trainees will perform half reps on this exercise, bringing the dumbells or barbell only about halfway down before pressing it back to the top. Unfortunately, it is in the bottom half of the movement that most of the deltoid activation takes place. By only pushing through the top half, the triceps are getting the brunt of the workout. The solution here is to lighten the weight and make sure each rep is performed through an optimal range of motion, which in the case of presses, is from just above shoulder level to just below lockout. (2) Side Laterals-This is one of the most poorly performed exercises in all of bodybuilding. I see several mistakes made during this movement, with some people actually making them all at once. First is the use of weights so heavy that a swinging motion is employed in order to get the dumbells moving. While it is ok to cheat a bit at the end of a set, once perfect form becomes an impossibility, doing it from the outset is simply cheating yourself and your shoulders from a proper workout. Side laterals is not a power movement. Choose weights that allow you to “muscle” the weight up without swinging, heaving, or body english. If you lighten up and are still having trouble, do the exercise while seated. The next mistake that is often made is not keeping the palms down toward the floor throughout the movement. Turning the hand down just slightly at the top is perfectly fine, but turning it up, so that the thumb is higher than the pinky, will take stress off of the side delt and transfer it to the anterior delt. Some people do this because of lack of focus, while others are again going too heavy and therefore forcing the more powerful front delt to take over and get the dumbells to shoulder height. Concentrate and go lighter! One final error made while performing this exercise is actually raising the dumbell TOO HIGH at the top of the movement. By doing this you will increase the involvement of the trapezius, and more importantly, can impinge the highly delicate shoulder joint. Raise the dumbells to shoulder height...no higher. (3) Upright Rows-This can be a wonderful delt widener when performed correctly but unfortunately, it rarely is. The main error that is made with this exercise is failure to raise the elbows up higher than the hands at the top. Many people end up turning this movement into what appears as an awkwardly performed reverse curl. Another mistake I often witness is raising the bar far too high at the peak of the rep. Now, this is ok if you are targeting the trapezius, but we are looking to isolate the delts in this case. To solve these problems make sure that you focus on raising the elbows first (sometimes it helps to think of two strings attached to your elbows and imagine that someone is pulling on the strings from above allowing your elbows to rise first, while your hands simply follow underneath), and to relax the traps while bringing the bar no higher than shoulder height.

-LACK OF ANGLES AND VARIATIONS: When it comes to broadening the shoulders it is important to remember that you have a few basic movements to work with, but tons of variation within each movement. Too many people get stuck in a rut when training delts. This occurs either out of laziness or ignorance, but I assure you it can keep you from ever outgrowing that same shirt that has fit you since high school! Muscles are very adaptive and complex “creatures.” If you do not at least occasionally seek to utilize different angles and exercise variations to force unique fiber recruitment patterns, you will not reach your “widest potential.” Using the same foundation exercises above, here is a list of ways to vary each movement...(1) Overhead Presses-dumbell presses, single arm dumbell presses, Arnold dumbell presses, presses behind neck, military presses, smith presses, machine presses (various types). (2) Side Laterals-standing side laterals, seated side laterals, cable side laterals (starting with hand in front or behind back), incline side lateral (leaning in to an incline bench), machine side lateral (various types), bench lateral (leaning sideways into an incline bench). (3) Upright Rows-barbell upright rows, cable upright rows (with bar or rope), dumbell upright rows.

So now that we’ve covered the do’s and don’ts, the why’s and why not’s, let’s get into a few routines you can use to get so wide that your queen size mattress is forced to abdicate your bedroom to a king! Depending on how long you have been training, it may be best for you to stick with one routine for several weeks before moving onto the next. If you are more advanced or someone that thrives on change and variety, feel free to switch between two of the routines week to week, or even all three. Over time you may even want to mix and match in order to make your own unique boulder shoulder program.

WORKOUT # 1

1. Seated side lateral: 3 x 8-10 reps
    2. Shoulder width grip cable upright row: 3 x 10-12 reps
    3. Smith press behind the neck: 2 x 6-8 reps

WORKOUT # 2

1.Shoulder width grip barbell upright row: 3 x 8-10 reps
    2. Twisting seated dumbell press: 3 x 6-8 reps
    3. Single arm cable side lateral: 2 x 10-12 reps

WORKOUT # 3

1. Standing single arm dumbell press: 3 x 6-8 reps
    2. Incline bench side lateral: 3 x 8-10 reps
    3. Dumbell upright row: 2 x 10-12 reps

Note: During a delt-widening specialization program I suggest training the posterior head on back day.

A few of the exercises above may be unfamiliar to you so let me briefly go over the form involved with each one.

•Twisting seated dumbell press: Start with your palms turned in toward your head and your elbows pulled back so they are even with you ears (very important for medial delt activation). As you press overhead, twist your palms so that they face foward at the top. Do the eccentric portion in the reverse manner.
    •Standing single arm dumbell press: Stand with your knees slightly bent and keep your core (abs and low back) nice and tight in order to stabilize your body. Brace the non working hand on a sturdy object. Press the dumbell with your elbow pulled back, in line with your ear.
    •Incline bench side lateral: Lean forward onto an incline bench set at about 70 degrees. Then perform side laterals without your torso leaving the pad.
    •Dumbell Upright Row: Start with the dumbells touching at the bottom. As you raise them up, separate them and pull your elbows out wide.

With the information above you should no longer have to “shoulder the burden” of being narrow ever again. Like with anything worth having in life, building a pair of “melon-sized” delts will not be easy. It will take gut busting, intense and consistent work to become truly W-I-D-E. But in the end, when the tailor’s tape is too short to measure you shoulder to shoulder and buying “off the rack” is no longer an option, you KNOW you’ll be smiling almost as wide as your shoulders now are, and it will all have been more than worth it!
    NGA
    PRO BODYBUILDER
    PRRS/FDFS PIONEER

I can't believe I am just now finding these articles! I can make like a 4 month routine by just using these workout interchangebly!

Thanks so much!

Quote Originally Posted by Rzilla View Post
    I can't believe I am just now finding these articles! I can make like a 4 month routine by just using these workout interchangebly!

Thanks so much!
    Well, to be fair, these are the ones I had published in Iron Man, so if you do not read that mag it is understandable why you never came across them!

More to come each week!
    NGA
    PRO BODYBUILDER
    PRRS/FDFS PIONEER

Thanks once again Bro...

Always an informative read....

Quote Originally Posted by dlew6969 View Post
    Thanks once again Bro...

Always an informative read....
    My pleasure.
    NGA
    PRO BODYBUILDER
    PRRS/FDFS PIONEER

Last night was my first time trying 5 Tetra. All I can say is WOW! I took it 45 minutes (like Eric said to) before my workout. It was almost dangerous driving the 10 minutes it takes me to get to my gym. I was ready to tear it up. That feeling translated into performance. Now dig this I was able to do 4 full reps at 230lb on over head triceps extension! My normal working weight on this for 8 reps is 150lb. Continuing on; close grip bench press (love this exercise) 40lb increase. Triceps extension 20lb increase. 10 more knee raises per set than normal. And the best part is I feel great today. I'm not wrecked, injured, or ready for the grave. The 5 Tetra was the only thing I changed from my daily routine. Oh and my current weight is 185lb. Not to bad for an old guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Toddbz View Post
    Last night was my first time trying 5 Tetra. All I can say is WOW! I took it 45 minutes (like Eric said to) before my workout. It was almost dangerous driving the 10 minutes it takes me to get to my gym. I was ready to tear it up. That feeling translated into performance. Now dig this I was able to do 4 full reps at 230lb on over head triceps extension! My normal working weight on this for 8 reps is 150lb. Continuing on; close grip bench press (love this exercise) 40lb increase. Triceps extension 20lb increase. 10 more knee raises per set than normal. And the best part is I feel great today. I'm not wrecked, injured, or ready for the grave. The 5 Tetra was the only thing I changed from my daily routine. Oh and my current weight is 185lb. Not to bad for an old guy.
    5-Tetra ain't no joke for those that respond well to it!
    NGA
    PRO BODYBUILDER
    PRRS/FDFS PIONEER

Well, to be fair, these are the ones I had published in Iron Man, so if you do not read that mag it is understandable why you never came across them!

More to come each week!
    I do read iron man, i like that it takes us natties into consideration, i have seen the joe w-i-d-e-r article, but not all of these!

cant wait for more

Eric's writing is awesome. Very detailed, entertaining, and it takes into account the beginner, intermediate, and advanced athlete. I am glad IronMan has given him his due and I'm hoping other magazines do the same.

Page 6 of 204 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151656106 ... LastLast