Muscular Development Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 7 of 204 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161757107 ... LastLast

Thread: "The Truth" w/ Eric Broser (Q&A and Training Articles)

Forum Leader: Performance, Nattie, Training bodyfx2's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rzilla View Post
    I do read iron man, i like that it takes us natties into consideration, i have seen the joe w-i-d-e-r article, but not all of these!

cant wait for more
    A new one each week! Thanks for reading!
    CEO BBuilt International www.broserbuilt.com
    NGA
    PRO BODYBUILDER
    PRRS/FDFS PIONEER

Quote Originally Posted by hossjob View Post
    Eric's writing is awesome. Very detailed, entertaining, and it takes into account the beginner, intermediate, and advanced athlete. I am glad IronMan has given him his due and I'm hoping other magazines do the same.
    Thank you so much Hoss for your support!
    NGA
    PRO BODYBUILDER
    PRRS/FDFS PIONEER

Eric- what's your favortie flavoring system at TP?
    I want to try their WPI but there is so many damn selections I don't want one that tastes like ass.

Quote Originally Posted by Toddbz View Post
    Eric- what's your favortie flavoring system at TP?
    I want to try their WPI but there is so many damn selections I don't want one that tastes like ass.
    I just use their free chocolate with sucralose.
    NGA
    PRO BODYBUILDER
    PRRS/FDFS PIONEER

Quote Originally Posted by bodyfx2 View Post
    I just use their free chocolate with sucralose.
    Sounds like a plan to me. Nothing can taste as bad as Ergophram's chocolate. I'm not allowed to even bring that in the house anymore. lol

Higher Bi’s and Sweeping Tri’s = More Arm Size!
    By Eric Broser

I would have to say that the most commonly written, as well as the most popular, training articles are about the arms. I guess it kind of makes sense though. I mean, when someone comes up to you and asks you to “make a muscle,” I am sure you don’t flex a trap or whip out a calf! Nope, you roll up your sleeve and squeeze out a biceps pose for all you are worth! Of course, a truly impressive arm will not only show a massively developed biceps when flexing, but an equally awesome triceps underneath.

Now, the most interesting thing about most arm articles that are written is that…well…they are not really interesting at all! Maybe that’s because, like I said, there have been so many written, that there is little left to say. Or, maybe it’s because the people that are writing them are not being very creative with their own workouts, and they are simply passing this along to you. Who knows?

Well, my goal is to present you with an arm training article that is different and interesting! Like the title mentions, I am going to discuss how to get “higher bi’s” and “sweeping tri’s” through targeted training. This simply means that I am going to present exercises meant to bring about a specific goal. In addition, I am going to tell you about a method of training called “Add-On-Sets,” that is certain to throw a little “intensity wrench” into your normal routine.

Before I go any further, however, I am going to make mention of the topic of genetics in regards to your arms. If you are a fan of bodybuilding I am sure you have seen pictures of the various champions of our sport, and how different all of their arms look. Basically all IFBB pros have absolutely huge arms, but it is amazing how uniquely all of them are shaped. Some guys have extreme peaks on their biceps, while others have more roundness. Many pros have biceps or triceps that are rather short, inserting well before they reach the elbow, while others have muscle bellies with seemingly no end! Look at photos of Coleman vs. Levrone, Arnold vs. Lou, or Beckles vs. Oliva, and you will see six pairs of utterly massive, but yet completely different looking arms.

The question is, did all of these unique shapes come about from various training techniques or special exercises, or are they simply a function of genetics? The answer is, “a little of one and a lot of the other!” Yes, the role of genetics is huge, as we can do nothing about how our muscles insert, nor how they are shaped (for the most part). However, what we can do is utilize certain exercises that either target a specific “head” of a muscle, or create the illusion that you have enhanced a specific portion of a muscle. In other words, while we cannot alter the genetic map for specific muscles, we can change the overall look of the landscape by throwing a little extra dirt on just the right spots! Huh? Yeah, it’s a little confusing, but read on and you will see exactly what I mean…

Can I Sneak a Peak?

One of the greatest desires of most of the bodybuilders I meet is to achieve a more dramatic peak on the biceps. They simply want a higher, more “mountainous” look when they flex their arm. The problem is (aside from the limitations of genetics) they don’t realize that most biceps exercises will do almost nothing to help them achieve this goal. Yes, most curling movements will help to bring about hypertrophy of the biceps muscle itself, which will then showcase whatever natural height you might have, but if you want to physically “push” the biceps muscle up higher, you are going to need to specialize! “Specialize on what,” you ask? The brachialis my peak-seeking friends, the b-r-a-c-h-i-a-l-i-s! This often overlooked muscle lies underneath the biceps, and when fully developed, looks like a thick knot of muscle that pops out of the side of the upper arm when they are flexed and viewed from the rear. The brachialis is a very cool muscle because it gives the upper arm a much more complete look, and as it gets larger and larger, it will help shove the biceps skyward!

Now, the problem with the brachialis is that while doing most curling movements, it is a weak flexor of the upper arm. “So what do I do?” I’m glad you asked! What needs to be done is to put the biceps in a mechanically weak position when performing curling movements, so that the brachialis needs to be activated to a much greater degree. Like I said, most curling movements will not “get-er-done,” as it takes specific hand positions and/or curling angles to force the brachialis to take the brunt of the load.

The following is a list of exercises that will let the biceps get a bit lazy while the brachialis steps into the curling spotlight:

-Reverse Curls: These are performed just like regular barbell curls, but with your palms facing down rather than up. Make sure to keep your elbows locked into your sides at all times, and keep the movement strict. No need to go for record poundage on this exercise. If you find performing the reverse curl with a straight bar uncomfortable, try it with an EZ-curl bar. You can also do this exercise on a cable machine or even on a preacher bench for variety.

-Hammer Curls: Either seated or standing grab two dumbbells and hold them at your sides with the palms facing inward toward your thighs. Curl the dumbbells up as you normally would but keep the palms facing inward (just as if using a hammer) throughout the set. Again, lock your elbows into your sides and do a strict and controlled movement. At the peak contraction point squeeze extra hard before lowering the bells back to the straight-arm position. Hammer curls can also be done seated on an incline bench, on a cable machine using a rope attachment, or even in concentration curl style.

-90 Degree Preacher Curls: For these you will be curling off the vertical, not angled, side of a preacher bench, although some gyms might have “spider curl” benches just for this purpose. First, position yourself over the bench and make sure your armpits are snugly pressed into the top. If you have never done these before I suggest you start with about 50% of your normal barbell curling weight, as this is meant to be a very strict movement, with no swinging or jerking. Start with your arms completely straight, and without allowing your elbows or shoulders to move from their position, slowly curl the bar to the fully contracted position. Squeeze tightly at the top, and lower the bar with total control until the arms are once again straight. This exercise can also be done one arm at a time with a dumbbell, an EZ curl bar, or even at a cable machine.

-Overhead Cable Curls: This is my personal “brachialis bashing” favorite, although I rarely see it being done in any gym I have been to. Begin by placing a flat bench in front of a weight stack on one side of a cable crossover machine. Make sure that the bench is at least a foot or so away from the stack, as I want you to peak your bi’s, not flatten your face! Lay down with your head on the side of the bench near the weight stack, and either bend your legs and place them on the bench, or simply plant your feet on the floor. Have someone hand you a short straight or EZ curl bar attached to the upper pulley. Start with your arms perfectly straight and then begin curling the bar both down and back, so that at the full contraction point, the bar is actually behind your head. As you curl you will need to draw your elbows back slightly and to tip your head forward in order to achieve this exaggerated range of motion. Once again, squeeze like you mean it before slowly returning to the straight-arm position.

Got a Broom? I Wanna Sweep!

You know what makes a truly impressive arm? One that can simply hang down…unflexed…and still look as if it belongs on a gorilla, rather than on a human. That look does not come about from having huge biceps, but from having thick, meaty, freaky triceps! More specifically, it comes from a highly developed inner (or long) triceps head. This is the head of the triceps responsible for that “sweep” under the biceps in a front biceps pose, and the dramatic thickness on the back of the upper arm seen in a back lat-spread pose. Probably the most impressive arms I’ve seen in this regard belonged to Kevin Levrone when he was competing. When he would hit that back spread, his inner triceps head would wrap over his arm like a mountain, and literally threaten to burst through his skin! And when Kevin’s arms were simply hanging down relaxed, they looked more like trees than arms! He had more “sweep” to his triceps than most bodybuilders have on their thighs.

Ok, so what magic tricks are needed in order to achieve a pair of “sweeping” triceps? Sorry Houdini, no need for illusions here…just intelligent, targeted training. Just like it takes specific movements to force more brachialis than biceps recruitment, it takes certain types of triceps exercises to get more inner head activation. The key lies in choosing exercises that force the elbows up by the ears throughout the movement. EMG studies have shown that this is the optimal arm positioning to utilize when looking for the strongest activation of inner (long) triceps head fibers.

Here are three of the most effective “sweep-producing” triceps movements around, and luckily none of them require a broom…

-Incline Overhead Barbell Extension: Lie down on an incline bench set at about 60%. Make sure you are up high enough on the bench so that your head is just off the top. Have someone hand you a straight or EZ curl bar, and take a grip at just inside shoulder width. Point your elbows up toward the ceiling and keep them locked in that position throughout your set. Lower the bar slowly back behind your head and allow for a deep stretch of the triceps. As you bring the bar back up, do not allow those elbows to creep forward or you will rob your triceps of major growth stimulation! Lock the arms out straight by intensely contracting the triceps, not by hyper extending at the elbows. This movement can also be done using a single dumbbell in both hands.

-Seated Single Arm Overhead Dumbbell Extension: Sit on a bench that has support that does not extend passed your upper back. Grab a dumbbell in such a way that the meat of your hand by your pinkie finger is right up against the plates. Hold the dumbbell overhead with your palm facing almost completely to the front. Make sure the elbow is pointing straight toward the ceiling and lock it there. Slowly lower the dumbbell behind your head, but keep the palm facing almost forward, so that the bell angles toward the opposite ear as it descends. Just make sure you do not slam the dumbbell into the back of your head (especially if there is a hot chick around)! The exact angle that you are able to use during the eccentric contraction will depend largely on your shoulder flexibility. Make sure to get a full stretch at the bottom before using pure triceps power to then re-straighten the arm. Heavy weight can be used in the exercise, but never use a weight so heavy that it turns into a half-press. This is a very common training mistake that will rob you of much of the benefit of this movement.

-Cable Overhead Extensions Using Rope Attachment: Attach a rope to an upper pulley at a cable crossover station. Grab the ends of the rope while facing away from the weight stack. Bring one leg forward until you are in a lunge-like position, and lean over until your torso is about parallel to the floor. Your elbows should be right up by your ears and they should remain there throughout the set. Starting from the stretched position, use pure triceps strength to begin to straighten the arms. However, as you are doing so, turn the palms from their initial position (facing the head) to a downward position (facing the floor). This will cause the ends of the rope to spread away from each other and allow for a very powerful “cramping” of the triceps. Squeeze hard at the peak contraction point, and then reverse the movement into a full stretch once again. As strength begins to dwindle it will become increasingly difficult to continue spreading the rope at the top of the movement. When this occurs, simply keep the palms facing, from stretch to contraction, and you will find you can get a few extra reps.

“Add-On-Sets”(TM) to Add On Size!

Add-On-Sets are similar to Supersets, Tri-Sets and Giant Sets, but with a slight twist. Add-On-Sets allow you to set up a hierarchy of movements, based on which ones you need most to target a specific area of a body part. While using an Add-On-Set workout, you will decide which exercises will be prioritized and thus get the most work sets. This will result in a radically intense workout with laser-like muscle-sculpting precision! Check out this bi-peaking and tri-sweeping Add-On-Set workout to see exactly what my mad-scientist brain is thinking…

-Target: Higher Biceps
    -Precision Movements: 90-Degree Preacher Curl; Lying Cable Curl
    -Other Movements: Barbell Curl; Incline Dumbbell curl

Add-On-Set Workout:

• 90-Degree Preacher Curl: 1 x 8-10 (rest 1 minute)
    • 90-Degree Preacher Curl: 1 x 8-10 (no rest), Lying Cable Curl: 1 x 8-10 (rest 2 minutes)
    • 90-Degree Preacher Curl: 1 x 8-10 (no rest), Lying Cable Curl: 1 x 8-10 (no rest), Incline Dumbbell curl: 1 x 8-10 (rest 3 minutes)
    • 90-Degree Preacher Curl: 1 x 8-10 (no rest), Lying Cable Curl: 1 x 8-10 (no rest), Incline Dumbbell curl: 1 x 8-10 (no rest), Barbell Curl: 1 x 8-10

-Target: Sweeping Triceps
    -Precision Movements: Incline Overhead Barbell Extension; Cable Overhead Extensions Using Rope Attachment
    -Other Movements: V-Bar Pressdown; CG Bench Press

Add-On-Set-Workout:

• Incline Overhead Barbell Extension: 1 x 8-10 (rest 1 minute)
    • Incline Overhead Barbell Extension: 1 x 8-10 (no rest), Cable Overhead Extensions Using Rope Attachment: 1 x 8-10 (rest 2 minutes)
    • Incline Overhead Barbell Extension: 1 x 8-10 (no rest), Cable Overhead Extensions Using Rope Attachment: 1 x 8-10 (no rest), V-Bar Pressdowns: 1 x 8-10 (rest 3 minutes)
    • Incline Overhead Barbell Extension: 1 x 8-10 (no rest), Cable Overhead Extensions Using Rope Attachment: 1 x 8-10 (no rest), V-Bar Pressdowns: 1 x 8-10 (no rest), CG Bench Press: 1 x 8-10

Note: Add-On-Sets is an extremely effective hypertrophy-producing technique, but it should not be used often. Maybe once every four weeks for each body part, otherwise over training can occur.

Genetics Shma-netics

Ok, now that you are “armed” with all the information you need to change the shape of your arms, I hope you will stop worrying about the limitations of your genetics, and rather will begin to explore them! Use targeted training and precision movements to sculpt the body you are after.

NGA
    PRO BODYBUILDER
    PRRS/FDFS PIONEER

Default Triceps

Quote Originally Posted by bodyfx2 View Post
    You know what makes a truly impressive arm? One that can simply hang down…unflexed…and still look as if it belongs on a gorilla, rather than on a human. That look does not come about from having huge biceps, but from having thick, meaty, freaky triceps! More specifically, it comes from a highly developed inner (or long) triceps head.

I don't understand, really, why men care so much about their biceps. When I see some hunk in the gym all I really notice and *want* to look at are his triceps! And I am surely not alone in the female opinion department here!

Nice writing, btw, gorgeous man!

Quote Originally Posted by athleticmom View Post
    I don't understand, really, why men care so much about their biceps. When I see some hunk in the gym all I really notice and *want* to look at are his triceps! And I am surely not alone in the female opinion department here!

Nice writing, btw, gorgeous man!
    Thanks for making me smile
    NGA
    PRO BODYBUILDER
    PRRS/FDFS PIONEER

A+++ Stuff Eric

FYI and BTW I have tried your PRRS training and I really liked it. Never got bored at all and felt everything increase.

I have been having troubles with DB pullovers so I use the pullover machine. Which arm position do you use for targeting the chest and which position for the lats?

I'll definitely give the overhead cable curls a shot. Exellent!

i don't understand how the 90% preacher curls, or overhead cables engage the brach's. i thought it was all about how the wrists were turned.

Default My POWER/REP RANGE/SHOCK Method

I have had requests through PM by dozens of people that want to know more about my P/RR/S training method. I figured the easiest way to address this was simply to put up a thread about it, with the articles I have written. If you have specific P/RR/S questions, feel free to ask them here. Thanks.
    NGA
    PRO BODYBUILDER
    PRRS/FDFS PIONEER

Im first

Better Benching - Shreddster needs to read that one ! I was telling him about it on the phone today. Best thing I ever learned from you SO FAR Eric

POWER...REP RANGE...SHOCK
    Time to Grow Without Plateau
    by Eric Broser

For those of you out there that have been training for more than a couple of years, I’d like you to take a little trip down memory lane with me...Remember back in the beginning, when you first started training, when new muscle and more power came almost every week? When the main goal at every training session was simply to add more weight to the bar and get it from point A to B in any way possible. When every night you would hop on the scale after the last meal of the night (of course when you would be at your heaviest for the day) and be thrilled to see that you weighed ½ a lb more than the night before. When all you had to do to gain muscle was to eat more, train more, sleep more, and abracadabra, alacazam, presto...there was more, of YOU!!

Ahhh, those were good times, weren’t they? But as all intermediate to advanced bodybuilders know...all good things come to an end. After about the first year of training, gains begin to slow down, weights don’t climb quite as easily, and the scale doesn’t budge like it once did. Despite your best efforts in the gym, pounding away on the same exercises for the same range of reps on the same days, nothing seems to be happening anymore. What’s the deal?

The fist thing you must understand is that muscles are not just a lumps of tissue. Muscles are extremely complex structures, that like onions, have many layers that need to be peeled before reaching the core. So, without turning this into a class in anatomy and physiology, let’s just take a quick and basic look inside these molehills we all wish to turn into mountains...our muscles.

Muscle is composed of bundles of muscle fibers also known as myofibers. Each fiber contains myofibrils, which themselves are composed of small bundles of myofilaments. The myofilaments are made up of two proteins, known as actin and myosin, and are the elements of muscle that actually shorten upon contraction.. The actin and myosin function within the sarcomere to produce these contractions. The sarcomere is the smallest functional unit within muscle.

In general there are three distinct fiber types found in skeletal muscle. These three include: Type I, also known as slow-twitch or red fibers; Type IIA, and IIB, also known collectively as fast-twitch or white fibers.Type I are the slowest, smallest, and have the highest level of endurance of all the fibers. They are most active in slow movements and long-term aerobic activities, and take a long time to fatigue. Next come the Type IIA and the Type IIB fibers, which are the fastest, largest, and least endurance oriented in the group. They are most active in short-term quick-burst or power activities. They are powered entirely through the anaerobic (without oxygen) system, and contract nearly twice as fast as slow twitch fibers, but fatigue much more rapidly. It is important to remember, however, that within our muscles there also lies “intermediate” fiber types that show both high oxidative and fast-twitch characteristics.

As you contract a muscle, each fiber type is recruited in a specific order. The smallest (lowest threshold) fibers, the Type I, are recruited first. As the speed or force of contraction is increased, you will sequentially recruit the intermediate fibers, and then the Type IIA and IIB muscle fibers. However, to recruit the Type IIB fibers it may take over 90% of a maximal contraction!

All people are born with these muscle fiber types. Most muscles contain almost an even split of these basic slow (Type I) and fast (Type II) fibers, with of course intermediate fibers that lie along the continuum between them. There is of course some genetic variation between different muscles, and from individual to individual. Some people are “born” to run marathons (slow-twitch dominant), while others are born to run sprints (fast-twitch dominant...and very lucky if they want to be a bodybuilder).

Although it is the Type II fibers that have the greatest potential for hypertrophy, in order to obtain maximal muscle size, it is imperative that we regularly train ALL of our muscle fibers. Why limit ourselves to only maximizing the potential of a portion of our fibers? Doesn’t it make sense that in order to come as close as possible to our genetic limits that we strive to “get at” every last fiber in each of our muscles? Of course! In addition, muscles also become larger due to other adaptions to training aside from actual fiber hypertrophy. Enhanced muscle size also occurs by way of increases in mitochondrial enzymes, increases in stored ATP and phosphocreatine, increases in stored glycogen and triglyceride, and also from the laying down of additional capillary beds.

So now the question is... “How do we go about successfully working all of our muscle fibers as well as stimulating all of the other pathways associated with maximum muscle hypertrophy?” The answer can be summed up in one simple word...VARIATION! After you have laid a foundation in your first couple of years of lifting weights, it is time to start to vary your training. Too many misguided trainees use the same exercises, in the same order, with the same rep tempo, rest between sets, training techniques, and rep ranges...day after day...week after week...and month after month! You must understand that the human body is an incredibly adaptable machine and thus will quickly cease to respond to stimuli that it is exposed to time and again. Do you know what one of the biggest roadblocks to progress, in anything that we do, is? Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result! That’s just plain craziness!

Now that I (hopefully) have you convinced that variation is your friend, your question to me probably is, “Ok hotshot...sounds good, but how do I go about this?” The answer lies in something called P/RR/S, which is short for POWER, REP RANGE, SHOCK. “Cool name...but what the heck is it?” Another fine question! It is a method of cycling workouts that I developed after lifting weights for more than a dozen years, utilizing every training technique and program I had ever seen, or read about, along the way. In those 12 + years of training I had gone from a 125 lb weakling, who could barely bench press the 45 lb bar, to a 225 lb title winning bodybuilder that could bench press 400 + lbs...all without the aid of drugs. However, although I had done nicely, adding about 100 lbs to my frame, I still wanted more, but was not getting it. I had hit a wall and could not climb over it, or go around it. This forced me to examine everything I was doing in order to come up with a new plan of attack. I felt my diet and supplementation were solid, so I began focusing more on my training. Over the course of several months I slowly developed a program that had me gaining again, and before I knew it, I was up to 250 lbs, and feeling stronger than ever! The reason I named this program POWER, REP RANGE, SHOCK will be apparent in just a moment, but I must tell you that I can honestly say that I have seen more consistent progress using this system than on another other I have ever tried. I have used P/RR/S for four straight years now and I am continually getting bigger and better. Of course, the system has continued to metamorphosize along the way as I continually tweak it in order to make it even more efficient at stimulating hypertrophy. In fact, I have developed several “hybrid” P/RR/S programs to fit the unique needs of different trainees, based on goals and level of experience. But I am getting ahead of myself. What I would like to present to you at this time is the basic P/RR/S plan, so that you can get an idea what this is all about.

So, ready to grow? Read on...

Part II

Week 1: POWER

The goal during POWER week is to make a direct attack on the Type II A and II B muscle fibers, with an emphasis on the II B’s. These are the higher threshold fibers and the way we get at them is with heavy weights. The goal for this week is to utilize weights that allow for 4-6 reps to failure. The way in which you perform your reps is of great importance during POWER week. I have found that an eccentric (negative) contraction of about 4 seconds followed immediately by an explosive concentric (positive) contraction works best at nailing those fast-twitch fibers. Remember...even though you will be attempting to explode with the weight during the positive portion of the rep, it will not move very quickly at all due to the heavy load you are lifting. Rest between sets is also very important. Since you want to be able to lift as heavy as possible during POWER week, you will be resting about 4-5 minutes between sets in order to fully regenerate ATP and creatine phosphate stores in the muscle cells. As far as the exercises go, choose those that are basic or compound in nature. These include movements like bench presses, squats, deadlifts, military presses and bent rows. POWER week workouts will not impart a tremendous pump, but rather will make your muscles feel as if they’ve been smashed with a wrecking ball.

Rep Goal: 4-6
    Rest Between Sets: 4-5 minutes
    Lifting Tempo: 4/0/X
    Exercises: Mostly compound

Here is an example of a typical POWER workout for chest:

1-Bench Press: 4 x 4-6
    2-Incline Dumbell Press: 3 x 4-6
    3-Weighted Dips: 2-3 x 4-6

Week 2: REP RANGE

As I mentioned earlier there are several fiber types that lie along the continuum between Type I and Type II muscle fibers. The goal of REP RANGE week is to show these “intermediary” fibers no mercy! We will accomplish this by using three distinct rep ranges (hence the name of this week) for three separate exercises for each body part. The first exercise will be to failure in the 7-9 rep range. The second will be to failure in the 10-12 rep range. The final exercise will be to failure in the 13-15 rep range.
    In order to make the stimulus this week even more unique from the POWER week, you will also change your rep tempo. Both the eccentric and concentric portion of each rep should take 2 seconds to complete, while the mid-point of the movement (isometric contraction) should be held for one full second. Additionally, if you happen to be using a movement that contains a strong “peak contraction effect,” such as leg extensions, you are also encouraged to hold this portion of the rep for one full second before you begin the eccentric portion of the rep. The exercises used this week should be both compound and isolation in nature, with free weights, machines and cables all being fair game. One particularly effective approach is to choose a free weight compound movement for the 7-9 rep range; a free weight isolation movement for the 10-12 rep range; and a machine or cable movement for the 13-15 rep range. Of course, you are encouraged to experiment a bit to get an idea of what feels most effective to you. Rest between sets during REP RANGE week will be 2-3 minutes. You can expect a tremendous pump from REP RANGE week workouts, and some deep muscle soreness in the days that follow...but we love that kind of pain, don’t we!

Rep Goal: 7-9, 10-12, 13-15
    Rest Between Sets: 2-3 minutes
    Lifting Tempo: 2/1/2/1***
    Exercises: Compound, Isolation, Machine or Cable

***1 second hold at peak for certain exercises

Here is an example for a typical REP RANGE workout for shoulders:

1-Military Press: 4 x 7-9
    2-Seated Side Lateral: 3 x 10-12
    3-Reverse Pec Deck Flye: 2 x 13-15

Week 3: SHOCK

In my opinion, SHOCK week is the most intense and excruciating portion of this routine. It will without a doubt test your ability to withstand pain, fend off nausea, and fight back the tears! SHOCK week separates the men from the boys, the freaks from the fakes! The goal during this week is complete and utter annihilation of every fiber, from slow-twitch, right on down to the fast-twitch Type II A’s; to force your body to release natural GH like water from a collapsed damn; and to literally “force” your muscles to grow in a “do or die” like fashion! Each grueling session during shock week contains 2 different types of supersets and a punishing dropset for each major bodypart. The first superset will be performed in what is known as “pre-exhaust” fashion. This means that an isolation movement will be performed first, with a compound movement immediately after. The second superset will be what as known as “post activation,” made famous by Ironman contributing author Michael Gundill. In post activation supersets, it is the compound movement that proceeds the isolation movement. Each of these supersets provides a unique stimulus for both your muscles and nervous system. Once you have completed your supersets it is time for a dropset, which will complete the torture that you will impart on your muscles during SHOCK week. Reps for each exercise will be in the range of 8-10, and the tempo will become more rhythmic in nature. An eccentric contraction of just one second will be followed immediately by a concentric contraction of the same speed. There will be no resting (as long as you can handle it) at the top or bottom, as each rep should be performed in a “piston-like” fashion. Rest between sets should be long enough to allow you to catch your breath fully, as well as to prepare your mind for the next onslaught. Your individual level of cardiovascular conditioning, as well as your constitution, will determine the length of your rest. Free weights, cables, and machines are all utilized during SHOCK week. My warning to you is that you better be prepared when you enter the gym on SHOCK week, because every workout will leave you breathing with the intensity of a steam engine and a burn that will reach your very core! Fun!

Rep Goal: 8-10 (dropset is 8-10, drop, 4-6 more)
    Rest Between Sets: cardiovascular and mental recovery
    Lifting Tempo: 1/0/1
    Exercises: Compound, Isolation, Machine or Cable

Here is a typical SHOCK workout for triceps:

1-Superset: Rope Pressdown/Lying Extension: 2 x 8-10 each
    2-Superset: CG Bench Press/Underhand Grip Pressdown: 2 x 8-10 each
    3-Dropset: Single Arm Overhead Dumbell Extension: 1 x 8-10, drop, 6-8

After you have completed the 3 week POWER, REP RANGE, SHOCK cycle, return to the beginning and repeat. With each cycle do your best to increase the weights you lift and/or the reps you achieve. After three full cycles I recommend that you take off one full week from the gym before returning to the program. After your break, you might want to switch up some or all of the exercises that you used in the cycle proceeding.

I would like to mention that the P/RR/S program that I presented in this article is not meant for beginners (although in a future article I will explain how those with less experience can begin to employ my system, as well as how more advanced lifters can work with an even more intense version). You can begin to use the program as presented here, after about two solid years in the gym.

So, if you have been training for some time, are stuck in a rut, or are looking to take your physique to the next level, POWER, REP RANGE, SHOCK training may just be your first class ticket to “FREAKVILLE!” Enjoy the ride my friends.

**Ironman magazine 2006
    NGA
    PRO BODYBUILDER
    PRRS/FDFS PIONEER

There is also a P/RR/S "Advanced Techniques" method if you guys are interested in reading that article as well.
    NGA
    PRO BODYBUILDER
    PRRS/FDFS PIONEER

Sioux, this needs stickied

Page 7 of 204 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161757107 ... LastLast