Muscular Development Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Would You Trade a Year of Your Life to Be Thin?

Default Would You Trade a Year of Your Life to Be Thin?

Would You Trade a Year of Your Life to Be Thin?

by Emily Tan

Getty Images

It's no secret that we complain about our bodies. And even with diets and endless hours at the gym, there's still something we're likely to hate. And according to a new study, some would sacrifice a year of their lives to be thin.

Researchers from the University of the West of England and the Succeed Foundation polled around 320 college women, asking what they thought of their bodies and what they were willing to trade for the perfect weight.
    About 16 percent of the participants said they would trade a year of their lives for their desired size, while 10 percent would trade up to five years. And if that isn't shocking enough, two percent would trade a decade of their lives, and one percent would give up more than over 20 years to have the perfect body.

"The findings highlight that body image is an issue for all women, and not just adolescent girls, as is often thought," researcher Phillippa Diedrichs said in a statement."

Most of the women viewed themselves negatively, 93 percent of them said they had bad thoughts about their bodies in the past week.
    About one-third thought bad thoughts numerous times throughout a day. And as bullying becomes a hot-button issue, 46 percent of the participants admitted to experiencing some sort of teasing or negative commentary because of their looks.

The women aren't all talk either.
    Thirteen percent of them said they spend over $8,000 for the perfect body every year.

They are willing to trade a year but how many are willing to give up crap food?

Spotter

Or they could put effort in at the gym and on their nutrition for a year and change their bodies, amazes me how many people think going to the gym to 'tone' means you're allowed to eat junk because they burn it off.

Who wouldnt? Like tha last year of your life is a picnic, its quality of life not quantity, watched both of my parents die of cancer, they could have done without that last year.

Wow.. If they became healthy and achieved a healthy weight, they would find added longevity to their life as well as quality.

Quote Originally Posted by Noel Fuller View Post
    Who wouldnt? Like tha last year of your life is a picnic, its quality of life not quantity, watched both of my parents die of cancer, they could have done without that last year.
    I'm sorry Noel
    Being a champion in any field means pushing the boundaries of society

Forum Leader: No Bull mayor of bodybuilding's Avatar

NO! i would actualy diet,what a concept!

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Ray View Post
    About 16 percent of the participants said they would trade a year of their lives for their desired size, while 10 percent would trade up to five years. And if that isn't shocking enough, two percent would trade a decade of their lives, and one percent would give up more than over 20 years to have the perfect body.
    Quite nearly a perfect demonstration of the culture of laziness and instant gratification that produced these overweight and unsatisfied people to begin with. They're willing to give up 1, 5, 10 or 20 years or thousands but not willing to eat right and hit the gym consistently for the month or two it would take to start some momentum and demonstrate to that they can actually affect change for themselves.

It's just like the people who say they'd "do anything" to be successful. What they mean is anything quick and easy, anything other than work hard, persevere, sacrifice and do what it actually takes to be a success.

They would trade a year, so why haven't they given up an hour a day and done it?

Quote Originally Posted by Noel Fuller View Post
    Unfortunately, I know exactly where you're coming from.

However, I don't agree with thinking about it that way.

You never know how or when you're going to go, why potentially rob yourself of any part of it in exchange for something that's well within your power to achieve?

nope. i can lean out without having to trade a year in my life. but thanks for the offer. lol!
    "you won't win whining all the time" - A.B. Flores

Forum Leader: No Bull Sports, MD Pets! paradox's Avatar

Being fat is terrible. No one likes fat people. Everyone likes fit or think people. It's terrible to say but thats the truth, but its worse for a women chubby or fat men can get by if you smell good and have money. A women cant.
    "#KillingShitz #HaterRepz"

Bro Scientist

Quote Originally Posted by paradox View Post
    Being fat is terrible. No one likes fat people. Everyone likes fit or think people. It's terrible to say but thats the truth, but its worse for a women chubby or fat men can get by if you smell good and have money. A women cant.
    I don't know about that. A fat unhealthy man even with money is still not appealing. And when I say fat, I mean someone who does not exercise at all and has no muscle shape. Having fat even over muscle is a totally different look as opposed to a sedantry fat person.

Most of us would trade a year of life to be jacked, there is no difference.
    "I think Arnold had the sexiest body of all time... Arnold had that charming boy look and a body of a stallion"-google&pubmed

That's why god invented stadiums. If you're fat get your ass out there and run them 30min ED and watch your body change.
    Conceive, Believe, Achieve!

Quote Originally Posted by BrotherIron;2535983[B
    ]That's why god invented stadiums[/B]. If you're fat get your ass out there and run them 30min ED and watch your body change.
    On the eighth day right?

fat person life expectancy of 50-60 ...trades on year ....skinny life expectancy 70-80...-1 haha 69-79 not a bad deal

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast