Muscular Development Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Jay Cutler Poses at Cutler Classic & Ron Harris asks Jay "if he gets 5 will he call it quits?"

JP_RC

Quote Originally Posted by ionicrod View Post
    Along with Ronnie, Dorian, Haney, Arnold, and Franco in certain years. What what?!
    Arnold and Ronnie deserved all their wins, there was no controversy. Sure Dorian, Haney and Franco had their controversial wins, but none was as controversial as Jay's win in 2007.

Quote Originally Posted by lifepulse View Post
    Yes, when Jay nails it, he looks great. That's why he's a fan favorite, and consistently has been since 2001. But that said: even in 2009, his conditioning was not even remotely close to Dorian at his worst. (Even if you like Jay's look better, Dorian was still leagues harder).

I have never been a big Jay fan. In 2005, when I went to my first Olympia and saw the whole hometown crowd booing Ronnie and cheering on Jay, it turned my stomach. But that said, the man has earned my respect over the years. He has an unbelievable work ethic, and he kept coming back and trying again and again and again to win the Olympia. Most people would have quit LONG before taking 2nd place four years running. Not Jay. He had the utmost belief in himself, and I think that's amazing. Furthermore, I'm impressed quite a bit that he has taken his physique to the next level in 2009 and 2010, and it looks like he's on track to do it again this year.

All of that said-- and I really say this with as much respect as possible for the man, for he has accomplished FAR more than any of us could ever DREAM of-- I truly do not think he will go down as one of the "all-time greats". Jay is having an awesome run, but it just so happens to be at a time when pro-bodybuilding is weaker than it has been in ages. Arnold, Haney, Dorian and Coleman will long be considered the legends of the sport. Jay will be right near them, but not held to that same level.

-lifepulse
    I would have to agree with you there. I simply feel that on occasion Jay does not get the respect that a Mr Olympia deserves.
    OF ALL THE THINGS I HAVE LOST , I MISS MY MIND THE MOST !

I think Jay doesn't get the respect he deserves because he has only ever been on the money once in 2009 where he was the out right champion no questions asked. There was a few time's when Dorian and Ronnie came close to losing their titles but they always came back bigger and badder. It was almost like the judges were vindicated in their decisions to keep them as the reigning Mr O. Sadly Jay returned to form in 2010 and 2009 was but a blip.I'm not expecting anything more than his 2010 form either that's why he doesn't get respect.<O</O
    The post by lifepulse is bang on the money. Props to him for coming 2nd all those years to big Ron but I don't think he will be remember as one of the true legends. I don't think he should have beaten Ronnie in 2006, 2007 Victor clearly had him, 2008 he was lucky not to place lower than 2nd. 2009 is the only time he as looked like a Mr Olympia, and last year Heath should have beaten him.
    The guy has glaring weaknesses his waist his huge, and his shape and taper isn't even the best in the top 10 at the olympia never mind top 5 and pose for pose with guys like heath, victor, kai, even wolf he doesn't even win half of them.
    Dorian took it to the next level, Ronnie raised the bar again and for me Jay's gone backwards. Maybe the IFBB only place him so high because he was one of the top guys when they brought in that mandate to get rid of big bloated waists way back in 2005, that and various other political reasons, chiefly the guy's face sells magazines.
    Now I'm not Jay hating, I respect the guy, I was a big fan of his when he was chasing Ronnie all those years. I hope this is his last year if he comes in off and we see him bow out gracefully no doubt clinching Sandow number 5.

Quote Originally Posted by TheFuture View Post
    Evan vs. Phil rivalry would be quite awesome.

in your dreams.. the day evan wins the olympia is the day ill never watch another contest
    T-Muscle.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by nissan200sx View Post
    I would have to agree with you there. I simply feel that on occasion Jay does not get the respect that a Mr Olympia deserves.
    Jay does get the respect he deserves, on average. Most people really respect him, look up to him, and appreciate all he does for the sport. Insofar as he is "disrespected", it's simply because, point blank, he's not one of the most dominant of all time. He is definitely the greatest out there right now, and is dominant, but that's more a reflection of the rest of the competition. It also must really suck to have to follow up Ronnie-- how the hell can ANYONE look impressive after that? Honestly, that's part of the reason so many (myself included) are into Kai-- despite his antics, he has a "freak factor" virtually untouchable by anyone else in the sport. And like Arnold once said, "When you go to the zoo, you don't go to see cats and dogs; you go to see lions and tigers. Mr. Olympia should be that lion."

Jay is amazing. He's clearly one of the best of all time. Just not in the top 5. Not a huge deal. It's kinda' like debating Lebron vs. Kobe vs. Jordan. The former two were amazing, the latter elevated EVERYTHING to a different level. And that's not Jay, simple as that.

None of this is meant as "slagging" or "bashing", just my opinion on the facts.

-lifepulse

I was referring to when Jay nails it , like 2009. Look at the picture that I posted with what I said and try to convince yourselves that Dorian or Ronnie ever looked that hard and dry ?!
    you are a blind fan.
    Jay looked amazing in 09 but certainly not "the best conditioned Mr Olympia of all time !!" that's not an opinion that's a fact.

Jay is going to win 5 AND HE WILL GO ON TO BE MR. O AND WILL WIN 6.... HES GREAT CHAMPION AND GREAT GUY.......
    I CANT WAIT TO THE ARNOLD AND GO WITH MY GOOD FRIEND DAN THE MAYOR .

Attachment 241910

Win or lose ..once or ten times....he is most definitely the best conditioned Mr Olympia of all time !!!
    Wow, just wow, jay cutler is a blob of muscle, only deserved then win in 2009. No other years, plain and simple. This man http://www.ebodybuilding.info/wp-con...y-official.jpg

shawn ray was 50 pounds or so lighter than Jay, and he looked so much better. Granted he never won the big show, but he looks way better

Quote Originally Posted by JP_RC View Post
    Arnold and Ronnie deserved all their wins, there was no controversy. Sure Dorian, Haney and Franco had their controversial wins, but none was as controversial as Jay's win in 2007.

Arnold in 80 is very debated. Ronnie in 2001..

I dont think Jays 2007 was the most controversial. Still, questionable though.

Quote Originally Posted by Philly_1 View Post
    in your dreams.. the day evan wins the olympia is the day ill never watch another contest
    I like it when people say stuff like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Harris View Post
    Phil who?

Seriously, if he was with MD he would be getting WAY more exposure.
    Yeah, it is shame. I like the idea of competition, but Flex is about useless these days. Every athlete these days might as well just be with MD, or not if they are wanting exposure. The sport is really missing out by Flex just hiding away all of their athletes. MD has really changed this sport in the past few years and Flex has not kept up whatsoever.

Spotter

Quote Originally Posted by lifepulse View Post
    Yes, when Jay nails it, he looks great. That's why he's a fan favorite, and consistently has been since 2001. But that said: even in 2009, his conditioning was not even remotely close to Dorian at his worst. (Even if you like Jay's look better, Dorian was still leagues harder).

I have never been a big Jay fan. In 2005, when I went to my first Olympia and saw the whole hometown crowd booing Ronnie and cheering on Jay, it turned my stomach. But that said, the man has earned my respect over the years. He has an unbelievable work ethic, and he kept coming back and trying again and again and again to win the Olympia. Most people would have quit LONG before taking 2nd place four years running. Not Jay. He had the utmost belief in himself, and I think that's amazing. Furthermore, I'm impressed quite a bit that he has taken his physique to the next level in 2009 and 2010, and it looks like he's on track to do it again this year.

All of that said-- and I really say this with as much respect as possible for the man, for he has accomplished FAR more than any of us could ever DREAM of-- I truly do not think he will go down as one of the "all-time greats". Jay is having an awesome run, but it just so happens to be at a time when pro-bodybuilding is weaker than it has been in ages. Arnold, Haney, Dorian and Coleman will long be considered the legends of the sport. Jay will be right near them, but not held to that same level.

-lifepulse
    Sorry but I completely disagree! I`ve been following BB for more than 20 years now, and I`ve always been such a crazy fan of Yates that my closest friends still call me Dorian, but I must be frank, Dorian`s conditioning has always been amazing (expecially in 1993 and 1995 he was almost skinless!!!) but he has never shown any leg and triceps striations and also his glutes was not as shredded as Phil`s. I also have to admit that in the past I`ve never been a great fan of Jay, I simply did not like his stocky shape, but 2009 Mr. O. changed everything!!! He transformed himself in something completely different, and his conditioning was unrivalled! It is hard to make comparison with bodybilders of the past but in 2009 Jay would have probably given hard times to Ronnie at his best and would have easily beaten the best Yates!

By the way: I love you Dorian!!!!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123