Muscular Development Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Subcutaneous vs. visceral fat

Default Subcutaneous vs. visceral fat

Thought this would be a cool topic. Which one is the easiest to 'loose '?and first to 'burn'? I have read that people have different views on this. If it is the visceral fat, would that explain why some people loose weight from the word go but only after a few weeks start to look lean (because the subcutaneous is being 'burned').fficeffice" />>>
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adipose_tissue

I would think that sub-q fat comes off way easier...hence the prego guts with shredded glutes, you guys can tell me it's from food or blah blah blah but I'm not buying it

Visceral fat is much more metabolically active than Subcutaneous fat. So, visceral fat is easier to lose.
    Quote Originally Posted by RockyIII View Post
    just like some folks can be cured of cancer, homosexulaity is also treatable
    Quote Originally Posted by daciz2 View Post
    this'll make me look silly but i've talked to spirits from the "other side". not saying its god but i believe it was a spirit. for it to talk back it would use my thoughts to express itself. doctor says it's schizophrenia but i know better. so i don't worry about the afterlife ever since i developed this "illness". anyone is capable of using their spirit to talk to other spirits since we all have one.
    My Enhanced Journal.

Quote Originally Posted by Elf View Post
    Visceral fat is much more metabolically active than Subcutaneous fat. So, visceral fat is easier to lose.
    Truth.
    I haven't been able to find mine for months

im not buying that at all...
    I went Camp Crystal Lake when I was younger.

Training Log

Quote Originally Posted by bolsen View Post
    im not buying that at all...
    Look it up. Its elementary.
    this'll make me look silly but i've talked to spirits from the "other side". not saying its god but i believe it was a spirit. for it to talk back it would use my thoughts to express itself. doctor says it's schizophrenia but i know better. so i don't worry about the afterlife ever since i developed this "illness". anyone is capable of using their spirit to talk to other spirits since we all have one.
    My Enhanced Journal.

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

Well subcutaneous is the fat that you will be observing 'disappearing' when you lose weight, but visceral fat is actually not that hard to lose either. Fat cells coordinate with hormones how much we eat, how much energy we burn, how the immune system works and they subsequently affect our brain, liver, mood and much more.

Subcutaneous fat is considered less dangerous and easier to lose than visceral fat. Visceral fat is actually harder to lose than subcutaneous fat because it is more deeply embedded in the bodys tissues, but it can be reduced obviously with cheanges in lifestyle, diet and exercise.

Just because you are underweight or have a low BMI/bodyfat reading doesn't guarantee you have low fat levels, the only way you can find out your true reading of visceral fat is through a type medical imaging machine (not sure of the name of it)?

** Those who did not exercise had an 8.6 percent increase in visceral fat.
    ** Those who exercised the highest amount (17 miles of jogging per week) had an 8.1 percent decrease in visceral fat
    ** Those who exercised a low amount (11 miles of jogging each week) did not significantly increase or decrease visceral fat

Cris Slentz, Ph.D.
    Duke University Medical Center, 8 month study

Reference: http://jap.physiology.org/content/99/4/1613.abstract
    Last edited by Mini Forklift Ⓥ; May 23rd, 2011 at 10:43 PM.

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

Unfortunately the people that are likely to have higher levels of visceral fat are generally the sendentary types with poor diets. They have accumulated these fat stores over time, and while it may be true that visceral fat is metabolically more active the metabolism of the person is probably going to be poor. So despite the visceral fat having the advantage on paper, it's not going to work that way in reality due to the conditioning and/or health of these individuals.

Think of two red wine stains on a carpet, one has been on the carpet for one minute and the other has been on the carpet for one day. Which is going to be easier to get rid of? That's the point I am trying to make even though technically you are right with the first part of your statement.

Elf... That.just.happened... Tiny just owned your ill conceived notions...
    I went Camp Crystal Lake when I was younger.

Training Log

Quote Originally Posted by bolsen View Post
    Elf... That.just.happened... Tiny just owned your ill conceived notions...
    No he didn't. He had it part correct. They are both about equal in the difficulty of the process in which to lose, with Visceral fat being slightly easier to lose, especially in sedentary people.

"People who are significantly overweight may see quicker results in their belly than someone who has less to lose in that area, such as a postmenopausal pouch," says Georgia State University nutrition professor, Christine Rosenbloom, PhD, RD.

"Ninety-nine percent of people who lose weight will lose it in the abdominal region before anywhere else -- and will lose proportionately more weight from the upper body," says Jensen, also a professor of medicine.

"In a 1997 "Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise" study cited frequently in medical journals, researchers divided a group of sedentary, overweight women into three groups. The control group did not exercise or restrict calorie intake. The second group exercised two to three days a week with some calorie restriction and the third group exercised three to four days a week with no calorie restriction. After 13 weeks, volunteers who worked out three or four days a week lost significantly more subcutaneous fat compared to those who exercised less frequently. Visceral fat decreased significantly in the volunteers in both exercise groups. The data showed that while any amount of exercise could reduce the deep abdominal fat, individuals must work out more often to reduce the outermost fat that's responsible for your cellulite and spare tire.
    Visceral Fat Reduction Questions About Reducing Belly Fat? Get Help & Advice From Peers. dailybody.com
    Sponsored Links
    Gender Differences
    Your ability to lose subcutaneous fat and visceral fat may be predetermined based on your gender. In a 1998 study published in the journal "Obesity Research," obese volunteers went on a severe calorie restricted diet. Men consumed 1,500 calories a day while the women consumed 1,200 calories. After 15 weeks, the men saw a greater reduction in intra-abdominal fat and a more pronounced improvement in risk for metabolic disorders. The women saw a greater reduction in subcutaneous fat.
    High-Intensity Exercise
    "Visceral fat yields fairly easily to exercise and diet," reports Harvard Medical School, and "subcutaneous fat can be frustratingly difficult to budge." In the study, 175 overweight, sedentary men and women were divided into four groups that varied from no exercise to high-intensity exercise. While even the lowest doze of exercise resulted in no weight gained for the volunteers, those who exercised at a level comparable to 17 miles of jogging a week saw a significant reduction in subcutaneous and visceral fat. Overall, the volunteers saw a 7 percent decrease in intra-abdominal fat and a 6.9 percent decrease in subcutaneous fat."
    My Enhanced Journal.

It seems to be a pretty mixed topic, actually. Older views see subcutaneous as easier to lose, and newer views see it the opposite or equal.
    My Enhanced Journal.

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

No he didn't. He had it part correct. They are both about equal in the difficulty of the process in which to lose, with Visceral fat being slightly easier to lose, especially in sedentary people.
    "Visceral fat yields fairly easily to exercise and diet," reports Harvard Medical School, and "subcutaneous fat can be frustratingly difficult to budge." In the study, 175 overweight, sedentary men and women were divided into four groups that varied from no exercise to high-intensity exercise. While even the lowest doze of exercise resulted in no weight gained for the volunteers, those who exercised at a level comparable to 17 miles of jogging a week saw a significant reduction in subcutaneous and visceral fat. Overall, the volunteers saw a 7 percent decrease in intra-abdominal fat and a 6.9 percent decrease in subcutaneous fat."
    Interesting, if you click on the link I provided in my first post

http://jap.physiology.org/content/99/4/1613.abstract

...I'm pretty sure that's been pulled from the same study I referenced? So either I have got it wrong (which is possible, but I also distinctly remember being taught that visceral fat is harder to lose back when I was studying), or the writer from Lance Armstrongs' site has misinterpreted the study? I'll have to read into it and pull the study notes out when I can get to them.

Hmmmm, not sure then. Elf could be right but I know all that I am saying is what I have been taught, and it does make sense logically

Quote Originally Posted by TinyStyley View Post
    Interesting, as if you click on the link I provided in my first post http://jap.physiology.org/content/99/4/1613.abstract
    ...I'm pretty sure that's been pulled from the same study I referenced? So either I have got it wrong (which is possible, but I also distinctly remember being taught that visceral fat is harder to lose back when I was studying), or the writer from Lance Armstrongs' site has misinterpreted the study? I'll have to read into it and pull the study notes out when I can get to them.
    It wasn't Lance Armstrong's site.. I'll have to re-look for it again.
    My Enhanced Journal.

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

It wasn't Lance Armstrong's site.. I'll have to re-look for it again.
    The info you put up was from here?..

http://www.livestrong.com/article/43...#ixzz1NFGNQaCV

All I am reading, constantly, is that visceral fat is the first of both sorts of fats that is lost before subcutaneous fat begins to lessen.

I have always read studies showing that the difference is extremely close.

So, I really don't know. But Visceral fat's definition inquires that it would be the easiest to lose the fastest because 1) There isn't s much of it in the human body in relation to subq fat. 2) In numerous case studies people lose weight across their waits line before anything else 3) It has higher metabolic activity
    My Enhanced Journal.

Quote Originally Posted by TinyStyley View Post
    The info you put up was from here?..

http://www.livestrong.com/article/43...#ixzz1NFGNQaCV
    Nope.. The stats were flip flopped from that site and the site I looked at. Weird.... The site was on page 2 on Bing.
    My Enhanced Journal.

You were right, son.

I admit defeat. I looked at your Lance Armstrong site, and found the study. Though I don't know how anybody could say Visceral Fat is by far more difficult to lose when it only lost by .1% in that study.. I was still wrong though.
    My Enhanced Journal.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast