Muscular Development Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Taking too much protein?

Nobody

Default Taking too much protein?

Friend of mine started working out a few months ago, and I told him about the general guideline of 1g of protein per his target body weight.

He recently spoke to a trainer at a box gym who told him that recent science has discovered that more than 110 grams of protein a day is wasted. has anything changed about this recently ?

On its face it seems silly that a 160 pound man and a 230 pound man take the same amount of protein.

If that was true, Ronnie would be taking 110 grams of protein lol Just to put in simple words, we break down more muscle tissue than an average man so we need more protein than an average man. About 1-1.5 grams of protein per lb of bodyweight works good. Some find 2 grams to work better often, but it's rare. Experiment with it and see how your body reacts.
    Being a champion in any field means pushing the boundaries of society

Nobody

I guess what he is seeing is a couple articles here or there about how the "excess" protein has to be converted into amino acids and then stored as fat or passed from your system. I was sceptical from the very first, and after poking around the last hour, I feel pretty safe in continuing my 1g/lb formula. I dont have liver/kidney problems, I dont consume 80% of my daily caloric intake via protein, I work out 4 to 5 days a week either mass or strength training, and I burn enough calories in all to more than make up for any excess protein I may be taking. I drink 2 or 3 shakes a days, for around 75g protein, plus my less than ideal diet (bite me, sugar intake nazi's!!).

Overall, I am happy with my progress so far, and see no need to change anything. I juts hope his efforts at gaining the 15lbs or so of muscles (he's about 165 now) are not hampered by this one personal trainer and a few unsupported InterTubes articles.

PSYCHOPATH

if you're a natti, then protein consumption is OVERRATED, the guideline of 1g/lb of LBM is plenty and you could probably get a away with less.

If you're an enhanced athlete, then the artificial increase in protein synthesis would be enhanced with increased protein intake.

IMO anything over 250-300g is ridiculous and simply unnecessary.

I honestly agree with this guy! Not only that I notice if i take too much protein I get severely constipated so I limit my protein consumption from

1.0 g - 1.25g per lb of bodyweight max! carbs will make you grow and give you energy! not protein!

Quote Originally Posted by PSYCHOPATH View Post
    if you're a natti, then protein consumption is OVERRATED, the guideline of 1g/lb of LBM is plenty and you could probably get a away with less.

If you're an enhanced athlete, then the artificial increase in protein synthesis would be enhanced with increased protein intake.

IMO anything over 250-300g is ridiculous and simply unnecessary.

what ive read is that to slim eat 0.75-0.85gms/lbs bodyweight, to maintain 1b/lb, and for gaining 2g/lb. in the past i have had best results when i consumed 2g/lb so approx. 450gms/day. i was also taking bcaa's (about 5-10gms/day) and hmb (about 2-5gms/day). in some cases i prob exceeded 500gms/day and found that my shit stank worse than anything...so above 2gms/lb it is most likely wasted. i dont mind a little waste b/c for proper muscle growth your nitrogen balance has to be right.
    but when consuming increased amounts of protein you can become dehydrated easily.

also with carbs/sugars comes water, so if your just looking to gain, then eat alot, but if your trying to get lean gains or to lean out limiting carbs isnt a bad idea as well as eating low glycemic carbs...

500 grams of protein seems to constipate me but wouldn't a proportionate increase in fibre offset that?

if you have increased your activity level and protein intake gradually, is it not possible to consume 500 grams consistently?
    as long as you are able to metabolise it and your activity level justifies it?
    http://krohdaddi.tumblr.com/
    Quote Originally Posted by bolsen
    Whatever you do, don't take a screenshot and post that pm...

PSYCHOPATH

Quote Originally Posted by KrohDaddi View Post
    500 grams of protein seems to constipate me but wouldn't a proportionate increase in fibre offset that?

if you have increased your activity level and protein intake gradually, is it not possible to consume 500 grams consistently?
    as long as you are able to metabolise it and your activity level justifies it?

where do get this figure to begin with? and don't you realize 3g lucine is enough to initiate maximal protein synthesis provided there's a complete amino acid profile in the blood stream in addition to a form of energy substrate like carbs or fats to fuel the process.

this protein synthesis last in the range of 3-5hrs, allowing a refractory period is optimal before initiating protein synthesis again with another bout of protein + energy substrate ingestion.

3g lucine is found in 40-50g of whey protein or other protein sources. assuming an ingestion of 50g every 3-4hrs, that would total 200-275g protein/day.

This is sufficient to support 'growth' in both AAS and natural athletes.

There's also evidence suggesting an over consumption of protein up-regulates protein wasting enzymes, making your body less efficient at utilizing protein. Not to mention, after a certain amount of protein is utilized by your body to fuel all dependent bodily function/regeneration, the excess is converted to energy, and even stored as fat.

so, basically what i'm saying is, no need for these insane amounts, as you simply don't need it.

i'm eating 4000+ calories
    4-500 grams protein
    my bodyfat is parked in an attractive neighbourhood
    my thighs grew 3/4" in 16 days
    this i know
    Last edited by KrohDaddi; August 12th, 2011 at 06:18 AM.

You need to test your creatinine and BUN levels if you are consuming that much protein. Quality carbs are protein sparing and limits the release of glucagon.

whoever that trainer is should kill himself for that dumbass comment.

if you are a 110lbs you for damn sure dont need 500g of protein, my offseason im 230 i i consume about 400g and im just fine and i find that my body reacts well.

i'm always assuming 200+ lbs bodyweight no more than 15% bf when i'm talking about food

1.0-1.5 g per body pound is all you need.
    Obey.

Banned

Hi guys,
    i just wanna ask that Taking too much protein is good for good health and fitness????
    please suggested guys, thanks....

to much protein can be bad for your kidneys so donīt overstrain it

Quick question. I had my T levels checked, it came back as a 64 (scale if 62 being dangerous, 94 being optimal. I'm in Canada so not sure which method is used. They took my blood and urine). So my doctor has me on a waiting list for HRT. I'm 5'10, 184lbs. Should I be consuming less protein than 1g per lb of bodyweight as my synthesis from test production is obviously low?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast