Muscular Development Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 128 123456789101151101 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 17 of 2164

Thread: Q and A with the Boston Mass: Jose Raymond

  1. #1
    Bro Scientist Robbie Durand's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    MD HOME OFFICE
    Posts
    2,947
    Last edited by Robbie Durand; June 15th, 2011 at 04:41 PM.

  2. #2
    Spotter scotia12's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    'Cuse, NY
    Posts
    92
    Gender
    Male

    Default

    yes! welcome Jose!

  3. #3
    Amateur Threat JayKurk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    MA
    Posts
    1,276
    Gender
    Male

    Default

    Awsome

  4. #4
    Amateur Threat JayKurk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    MA
    Posts
    1,276
    Gender
    Male

    Default

    what did you do differnt to get into insane conditioning in NY.. Was it your cardio??? Staying leaner in the offseason??? A water in take depleation carb up process change ??or all of they above???

  5. #5

    Default

    First off, being from the Boston area you are one of the only local guys I look up too in this sport. When you began when you were younger what helped you put on the mass? What foods where a staple for you, did you stick to the basic compound movements?

  6. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JayKurk View Post
    what did you do differnt to get into insane conditioning in NY.. Was it your cardio??? Staying leaner in the offseason??? A water in take depleation carb up process change ??or all of they above???
    You hit the nail on the head Jay. I stayed leaner in the offseason, and I killed the Stepmill, they literally need to replace the Stepmills in my gym. Other than that I didnt do a whole lot different as far as my diet.

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by aldeanz View Post
    First off, being from the Boston area you are one of the only local guys I look up too in this sport. When you began when you were younger what helped you put on the mass? What foods where a staple for you, did you stick to the basic compound movements?
    Thank you aldeanz, that means a lot to me. When I was younger I could get away with a lot more mishaps in my diet and still grow and come in shape. I would typically diet all summer and do a show at the end of the summer like USA or Team Universe then I would go straight off to football camp and try to beef up as much as possible. Back then I would eat all the typical college foods pizza,calzones, chinese food along with a few healthy breakfasts and lunches in the cafetarial. There were times I would get up to 215 or even 220 and diet all the way back down to light weight 154lbs. My workouts consisted mostly of power, compound movements like squats,dead,cleans and bench presses because like I said this was for football and back then, that was my main priority for most of the year til the summer hit.

  8. #8

    Default

    great addition to MD, going to be honest, and I like how you answer questions on here, Ive asked you questions before and you answer it in detail well, so appreicate it , you stuck by the fans and you got rewarded in the end, good things come to those who wait, thats all lol

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ukstrongman View Post
    great addition to MD, going to be honest, and I like how you answer questions on here, Ive asked you questions before and you answer it in detail well, so appreicate it , you stuck by the fans and you got rewarded in the end, good things come to those who wait, thats all lol
    Thank you, much appreciated. That is a mantra I try to live by! if you work hard and keep positive, people will feed off of it and you will eventually be rewarded for your efforts.

  10. #10

    Default

    Jose, im in my early 20s, been training hard now for 6 years, I do bodybuilding style training after years of strongman/powerlifting training and would say I have a physique capable of doing well at bodybuilding shows. Ive never had a coach for bodybuilding in relation to diet and how to bulk up. I basically go by servings with my meals and dont weight food out ever.

    In offseason, what did you tend to do in your early stages of training, did you just eat as much clean food as possible, did you ever have a coach in your early years of bodybuilding or was goerge farah a recent addition too...... I kind of want to do offseason training and diet mysel as I feel i know my body well but am not sure if I might hinder progress by not having a coach,

  11. #11

    Default

    Jose, What sort of protein intake do you recommend in the off season? How heavy do you train and what rep ranges do you train in?

    Thanks.
    Being a champion in any field means pushing the boundaries of society

  12. #12
    Amateur Threat JayKurk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    MA
    Posts
    1,276
    Gender
    Male

    Default

    How old were you when you first competed and what show was it and how did you place??? What weight class was it??

  13. #13
    Muscle Head
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    43
    Gender
    Male

    Default

    what brand of that popcorn cheese powder do you use for your eggs? same question for the defatted peanut flour.

    also, awesome job at the ny pro. you looked amazing. i look forward to seeing you kick ass at the olympia as well. i've been watching some of your training clips and they've inspired some of the best workouts i've had all year. those dumbell tricep extensions on the incline bench have been awesome. much more comfortable and a better stretch for me than a two handed extension.

  14. #14
    Mini Forklift Ⓥ
    Guest

    Default

    Hey Jose,

    I love your work ethic man, I'm sure this is going to be a great year for you. You are a beast with legs, loved your front squat video with Ron Harris.

    1) I am a competitive powerlifter (130-145lb class). Would front squats be of any benefit to me or should I just focus on regular squats?

    2) If you give the thumbs up for front squats, do you think it's okay to do them as well as regular squats in the same workout?

    Thanks in advance JIM.

  15. #15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ukstrongman View Post
    Jose, im in my early 20s, been training hard now for 6 years, I do bodybuilding style training after years of strongman/powerlifting training and would say I have a physique capable of doing well at bodybuilding shows. Ive never had a coach for bodybuilding in relation to diet and how to bulk up. I basically go by servings with my meals and dont weight food out ever.

    In offseason, what did you tend to do in your early stages of training, did you just eat as much clean food as possible, did you ever have a coach in your early years of bodybuilding or was goerge farah a recent addition too...... I kind of want to do offseason training and diet mysel as I feel i know my body well but am not sure if I might hinder progress by not having a coach,
    You are probably too young to know that I have a older brother Tito who was a lot more popular than I am and was a national level competitor and 3 time Team Universe champion as well as a pretty boy cover model for many years. I was blessed to have him help me from making too many mistakes at a young age, however we never weighed our meals and just kind of made sure we ate enough of the right stuff by eyeballing it. It wasnt until I met George that I began weighing each and every meal and I quickly realized I was not eating enough. I now weigh every meal and it has made a tremendous difference in my putting on muscle in the last year.

  16. #16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Climber213 View Post
    Jose, What sort of protein intake do you recommend in the off season? How heavy do you train and what rep ranges do you train in?

    Thanks.
    Because I tend to compete a lot and I eat a lot of protein during contest prep, I try to scale back my protein intake in my short offseason to give my kidneys a little break. I will eat more things that I usually dont eat during pre-contest like dairy, cold cereals and lots of fruit. To answer your question I eat probably half the amount of protien as i do while dieting. I pretty much always train as heavy as possible "safely" with an 8-12 rep range but often throw in some very high rep days, as high as 20-30 reps on certain exercises depending on my goals and how I am feeling. It is all instinctive and not really written in stone.

  17. #17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JayKurk View Post
    How old were you when you first competed and what show was it and how did you place??? What weight class was it??
    My first show was the 1993 NPC New England Championships. I won the light weight and overall Teen division and have been addicted to the feeling of winning ever since. I was 18

Page 1 of 128 123456789101151101 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •