Muscular Development Forums - Powered by vBulletin

View Poll Results: Who is the strongest?

Voters
120. You may not vote on this poll
  • Paul Anderson

19 15.83%
  • H. Razazadeh

8 6.67%
  • Bill Kazmaier

40 33.33%
  • Mariusz Pudzianowski

53 44.17%
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Who is the Strongest man in history?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Žydrūnas_Savickas

Lietuviškai
    News Biography and Achievements Records Sponsors Links
    Records
    Strongman:

Event Result Record
    Log Lift 212.5 kg SCL world record
    Fingal Fingers 28,59 s WSM World record
    150 kg Apolon axle for reps 9 reps WSM World record
    Apolon axle for max 202.5 kg IFSA World record
    420 kg Super yoke 18 s Fortissimus World record
    Owerhead medley 1092 kg Fortissimus World record
    One hand owerhead medley 598kg 37,19 s Fortissimus World record
    Biggest total in one competition 16767 kg Fortissimus World record
    25kg keg toss for height 5.4 m SCL World record
    155 kg Log Lift for reps 7 reps SCL World record
    480 kg Super yoke 28.72 s SCL World record
    238kg Stone lift 3 reps ASC World record
    Atlas stones 25,65 s IFSA World record
    Block lift 140 kg IFSA World record
    22 kg Medicine ball for height 17 ft ASC World record
    166 kg Apolon axle for reps 8 reps ASC World record
    500 kg Super yoke 7.5 s ASC World record
    155 kg Apolone axle 8 reps IFSA World record
    320 kg Deadlift 10 reps IFSA World record
    Powerlifting:

Event Result Record
    Squat 425.5 kg Lithuanian record
    Bench press 286 kg Personal record
    Deadlift 400 kg Lithuanian record
    Total 1090 kg Lithuanian record
    Home*** Back
    Sponsors

Links

Lithuanian Strongman federation
    http://www.galiunai.lt/
    Strongman champions league
    http://www.strongmancl.com
    International loglift federation
    http://www.loglift.org
    Arnold Classic
    www.arnoldclassic.com
    Arnold Strongest Man
    www.arnoldsstrongestman.com
    Ironmind
    www.ironmind.com
    Strongman links
    sterksteman.startpagina.nl

END OF THREAD
    FORTUNE FAVORS THE BRAVE

HERCULES!!!!
    Cup of tea for the big fella.....

Only kidding! Pudzian was awesome!!
    Cup of tea for the big fella.....

Heres two more names to throw in there. Im surprised no one mentioned Ed Coen. Or what about Mark Henry? here is a funny video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VvLoK...eature=related

Colemanesque

Quote Originally Posted by BDEGRD View Post
    Heres two more names to throw in there. Im surprised no one mentioned Ed Coen. Or what about Mark Henry? here is a funny video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VvLoK...eature=related
    No one mentioned Ed Coan because he never would've won against any of those men in 3-sport mixed comp like that. It's true that he had a great dead and squat, but his bench was mediocre, he probably never did an Olympic lift in his life (or at least not regulary), and he would've been horrible at strongman (wayyyy too short). That's much pretty eliminates Coan from having even a remote chance of winning that type of competition.

Mask Henry would've done well in a comp like this, but wouldn't have won. He was very impressive at olympic lifting, had a solid total in powerlifting, but zero experience in strongman....and that would've hurt him. If he had some time to prepare for the strongman events, he would've done much better.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Arnold View Post
    No one mentioned Ed Coan because he never would've won against any of those men in 3-sport mixed comp like that. It's true that he had a great dead and squat, but his bench was mediocre.
    Mask Henry would've done well in a comp like this, but wouldn't have won. He was very impressive at olympic lifting, had a solid total in powerlifting, but zero experience in strongman....and that would've hurt him. If he had some time to prepare for the strongman events, he would've done much better.
    Mike,

Eddy Coan has contest raw benched in the mid 500s ! And he got those 500+ pound raw benches passed in the USPF and in the IPF. Ed Coan didn't have any weak spots during his open division championship years. He's clearly the strongest man in history at 242lbs bwt or less.

And Marc Henry won the Arnold Classic Pro Strongman.
    Stay Strong,
    Sean
    HardcorePowerlifting.com

What he did at 198 & 220 is never going to be topped.
    Strength in life and lifting.
    shawnbellon.com

Colemanesque

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Katterle View Post
    Mike,

Eddy Coan has contest raw benched in the mid 500s ! And he got those 500+ pound raw benches passed in the USPF and in the IPF. Ed Coan didn't have any weak spots during his open division championship years. He's clearly the strongest man in history at 242lbs bwt or less.

And Marc Henry won the Arnold Classic Pro Strongman.
    Perhaps you thought I meant something other than how it appeared. I was specifically referencing Coan's inability to defeat the men on the OP's list, if they were all to compete in a 3 way event using powerlifting, strongman, and Olympic lifting. Coan would lose badly because he is not an olympic lifer, would be pretty bad at most strongman events simply due to his height (getting beaten badly)...and of his 3 PLs....his squat and dead were great, like I said....but I still see a mid 500's bench as medicore among the best, espcially when I've seen a couple guys bench 600 raw at my gym on more than one occasion...and another man raw bench 580 lbs.....not to mention the raw record is 715 lbs, which is a good deal away from Eddie's.....so I just don't see Coan's bench being that great among some of the men listed in the OP. It had nothing to do with Coan's ability as a powerlifter, and in my opinion, he may be the best of all time.

So, I definitely wasn't trying to say that Coan wasn't strong...I just don't think he would fair very well in a 3-way comp using all 3 sports against those men. I gave him credit saying his dead and squats were great, but it's true his bench was only mid-500's...and that's nothing really special among the world's best. There is no doubt Coan would get killed in both the Olympic and Strongman aspects of the competition. Overall, I think my post was pretty accurate...perhaps you simply thought I meant something otther than I did.

However, I completely forgot Mark Henry did the ASC strongman because it's been so many years. Henry was a very strong guy overall and excelled at all 3 sports, which means mark would've been in the running with all those men in the list, possibly beating all of them. He definitely wouldnt win the ASC strongman today, but he was still vey good at all 3 spots, which is very rare......I just completely forgot that he did strongman.
    Last edited by Mike Arnold; July 3rd, 2011 at 07:58 AM.

Colemanesque

Quote Originally Posted by FUTURE View Post
    What he did at 198 & 220 is never going to be topped.
    Probably not anytime soon.

strongest mm i dont really know the best was john pall just watch his docu on youtube its awesome rip

No one mentioned Ed Coan because he never would've won against any of those men in 3-sport mixed comp like that. It's true that he had a great dead and squat, but his bench was mediocre, he probably never did an Olympic lift in his life (or at least not regulary), and he would've been horrible at strongman (wayyyy too short). That's much pretty eliminates Coan from having even a remote chance of winning that type of competition.

Ed Coen never did Olympic lifting but he has tremendous shoulder strength, below is a video of him doing 400 behind the neck press, which is almost double BW. I agree though his height would hurt him some strongman events, but lifts like farmers walk, backllift, yoke height wouldnt be a factor.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vC15Dgw4Ee4

Benedikt Magnusson probably don't do any olympic lifts regulary either but for some reason you claimed that he was pretty good at those lifts.

Ed Coan has benched 545 raw at 220. That's a hell of a raw bench in my opinion and according to all time rankings also. Coan wouldn't win a comp like this but he wasn't a mediocre bencher(except with a shirt that is).

I still see a mid 500's bench as medicore among the best, espcially when I've seen a couple guys bench 600 raw at my gym on more than one occasion...and another man raw bench 580 lbs.....not to mention the raw record is 715 lbs.

His bench was only mid-500's...and that's nothing really special among the world's best. There is no doubt Coan would get killed in both the Olympic and Strongman aspects of the competition. Overall, I think my post was pretty accurate...perhaps you simply thought I meant something otther than I did.

However, I completely forgot Mark Henry did the ASC strongman because it's been so many years. Henry was a very strong guy overall and excelled at all 3 sports, which means mark would've been in the running with all those men in the list, possibly beating all of them. He definitely wouldnt win the ASC strongman today, but he was still vey good at all 3 spots, which is very rare......I just completely forgot that he did strongman.
    1) Eddie Coan's mid-500s @ 220-242 raw make him one of the greatest raw benchers ever at 242 pounds or less. And, because his benches were performed after max squatting, that makes it even more impressive. Look up how many 242 (or lighter) competitors have hit 545 raw in competition, then check how many of them were bench only and then look to see how many got that lift passed in a legit, strictly judged federation.

2) We know that Bill Kazmaier could raw bench in the mid 600s but I'm not so sure about Savickas and Rezazadeh. Many strong overhead lifters focus more on triceps, back and shoulder strength and their bench is in the 500s at SHW.

3) Who specifically in your gym has raw benched 580+ ? I'm assuming you mean "with contest form"? Because a guy like Coan could hit a 600 if he was allowed to bench ugly.

4) Marc Henry, as much as I don't like his personality, would be very much in the running to win The Arnold Classic Pro Strongman if he was 100%. Henry's raw contest deadlifted 900+, he's raw contest squatted 900+, he was the first guy to one hand clean and press The Thomas Inch Dumbbell and he went to The Olympics for overhead pressing.

Plus he won the 2002 Arnold Classic Pro Strongman, beating Svend Karlsen, Phil Pfister, Mark Philipi, Andy Bolton, Raimonds Burgmanis, Brad Gillingham and Brian Schoonveld (that's a crazee line-up right there!)

5) And I didn't realise we were discussing who'd win in a three sport contest, sorry. I thought this thread was simply about who's the strongest overall, based on their performances in those sports. If a contest was held where each lifter had to perform the 3 powerlifts, the 2 Olympic lifts and 3 or 4 pro strongman events, then I'd say that Ken Patera and Serge Redding would be in the running too.

one.jpg

These guys were true buffalos and, with them tipping the scales at the mid to high 300s, you aren't gonna find bigger backs, quads or shoulders.
    Last edited by Sean Katterle; July 3rd, 2011 at 04:13 PM.
    Stay Strong,
    Sean
    HardcorePowerlifting.com

Forum Leader: Training Journals tjoe's Avatar

interesting replies.
    I didn't bother voting because I think it is impossible to say. This guy "at their best", that guy "at their best", pushing, pulling, olympic, strongman... pound for pound or biggest numbers? Too many factors.
    Cool thread though. Lot's of guys that you just forget sometimes.
    4-6-13 100% RAW Powerlifting/ALL RAW Powerlifting
    Open 242 (weighed 235) 534.6/385.8/644.8 T = 1565.2

here is Ed Coen bench pressing "gym style" 555X2. Remember this guy only wears single ply, not those triple canvas deals.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mkszyU1d03Y

This is of Coen deadlifting 901 @ 220lbs. One of the greatest feats of strenth ever caught on video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-dpRC...eature=related

Coen squating 950 x 2, straps down.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f1Aiq...eature=related

If you think Coan's bench is mediocre then you have no idea what you are talking about. Also Coan did with limited lifting equipment...a t shirt!

Please enlighten us with the couple of 600 lb raw benchers in just your gym. You realize that your gym has a majority of the best raw benchers in the world?
    Strength in life and lifting.
    shawnbellon.com

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast