Muscular Development Forums - Powered by vBulletin

View Poll Results: Who is the strongest?

Voters
120. You may not vote on this poll
  • Paul Anderson

19 15.83%
  • H. Razazadeh

8 6.67%
  • Bill Kazmaier

40 33.33%
  • Mariusz Pudzianowski

53 44.17%
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Who is the Strongest man in history?

Colemanesque

Quote Originally Posted by bigmikecox View Post
    Mike....the gym you are talking about in Mentor? I remember seeing Mike Lackner when he was getting ready for the Collegiate Nationals! He was big as shit!
    Yeah, but he was much stronger than he was big. 500 X 6 on flat bench, 275 lb skullcrushers X 6-8, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Arnold View Post
    Yes, it is incredibly hard to lift with one hand, but they don't do that anymore in the ASC strongman because it severely limits the amount of weight which can be lifted overhead unless you're Marc Henry.
    *Fixed

Seriously, I do not like Marc Henry as a person. I'm simply defending his status and position in the sport based on principle. Henry's walked out and buried a 900+ pound raw squat and he's deadlifted over 900 pounds. Every strongman who ever competed in an Arnold Classic or WSM would admit that going 1,800+ raw on the squat/deadlift in a legit federation solidifies Henry's claim to be one of the very strongest SHW's of all time. Plus Henry competing in the Olympics in overhead pressing. I wouldn't doubt what he could do with The Circus Dumbbell in his prime either.
    Stay Strong,
    Sean
    HardcorePowerlifting.com

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Arnold View Post
    I still see a mid 500's bench as medicore among the best, espcially when I've seen a couple guys bench 600 raw at my gym on more than one occasion...and another man raw bench 580 lbs.....
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Arnold
    We had one guy who benched between 580-585 lbs MANY times over a several year period (mike lackner)....he was NOT a powerlifter...

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Arnold
    We also had another guy (Big John is what everyone called him). He was a powerlifter. He raw deadlifted about 750 lbs in the gym with no gear, and raw benched 600 lbs one time.

OK,so your gym had one giant bodybuilder who hit gym reps with 500 and liked to think that he'd get a high 500s passed in respectable competition. It doesn't always work that way but I'm sure he's good for a mid 500s. That means he'd tie Eddy Coan on the bench, but would he make the 220 or 242 class while doing so?

And your gym had a guy named Big Jon who hit 600 pounds once in the gym.

Your second and third quotes (see above) sound a lot more accurate. It was the first I was questioning but you've elaborated since then.
    Stay Strong,
    Sean
    HardcorePowerlifting.com

Sean what do you think about Donnie Thompson.

Quote Originally Posted by BDEGRD View Post
    Sean what do you think about Donnie Thompson.
    Donnie's verbally commited to competing at our next full meet or squat only competition.

His raw contest lifting is documented; 805 raw, walked out and buried squat (no knee wraps), 565 raw bench and an 800 pound raw deadlift @ 374 pounds bodyweight.

Donnie also played football so I'm sure he'd do well at strongman medley events.

I'm not so sure about overhead lifting but it's very possible that he's trained power cleans for football and I'm sure he's got some pressing power if his shoulders are healthy.
    Stay Strong,
    Sean
    HardcorePowerlifting.com

Dedicated Noob

I like Razazadeh but kinda sad he only got 4 votes.

Quote Originally Posted by Colbert View Post
    I like Razazadeh but kinda sad he only got 4 votes.
    Probably because he's a powerlifter and not a strongman.
    "I like them more around the age of 10 or so that way I can think of your physique because I'm so hopelessly in love with your body" - killinweights

Colemanesque

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Katterle View Post
    [/B]

OK,so your gym had one giant bodybuilder who hit gym reps with 500 and liked to think that he'd get a high 500s passed in respectable competition. It doesn't always work that way but I'm sure he's good for a mid 500s.
    Like I said, I didn't say he could bench 580-585 with "comp" form, as he didn't pause (but no bounce...he had a slow, controlled decent). However, his bench technique did NOT allow him to lift as much as he actually coud've. You know as well as I do, Sean, that a guy who doesn't utilize proper bench technique is NOT going to lift as much as he other wise could. I have ZERO doubts he could've pressed another 20-30 lbs without getting any stronger at all. When he benched, he laid "flat" on the bench (no arch at all)...had no leg drive...did not hold his chest high...and did not draw his shoulder bladed down. Yet, unlike so many powrlifters who have to "peak" their strength for competition and can only hit their best numbers a few times a year, Mike could hit 580-585 over and over and over.

I have ZERO doubts...and I don't say this without thought...that had Mike focused on bench technique soley for the purpose of lifting bigger numbers on the bench, he definitely would've been able to hut 590-585 lb in competition without gaining one ounce of additional strength.

Get this. About 20 years ago, we also had a guy (who since became a heroin addict) who benched 405 lbs X 21 at about 260 lbs bodyweight....and it was not a one time thing. Never saw him try a single, but most people assumed he was good for at least 600 lbs...probably more...which is more than reasonable. He never had an ouce of interest in competing in powerlifting; couldn't care less. Many people tried to get him to compete, but he just didn't have any interest.

That means he'd tie Eddy Coan on the bench, but would he make the 220 or 242 class while doing so?
    No....since the lightest he was was 260 lbs when he hit those numbers, he was a bit over Eddie. Obviously, he had dropped a bit of water, he would've been able to drop a few lbs. Aside from that, I never compared him to Eddie anyway. My only point is that I don't think a 550 lbs bench is all that great when compared to the best. Why? Because it's not. Coan can do mid 500's at 220-242 lbs, which is great for his bodyweight, but like I said...I was approaching a mid 500's bench from the perspective of how it stacks up to the best raw benches of all time (not by bodyweight)...and when looked at from that point of view, it's not all that great when you have a few guys doing 700 lbs.

And your gym had a guy named Big Jon who
    hit 600 pounds once in the gym.

Your second and third quotes (see above) sound a lot more accurate. It was the first I was questioning but you've elaborated since then.
    Last edited by Mike Arnold; July 9th, 2011 at 11:26 PM.

Colemanesque

Quote Originally Posted by apietrosanti86 View Post
    Probably because he's a powerlifter and not a strongman.
    he's actually an Olympic lifter...LOL.

the way Bill Kazmaier would win makes it a no contest
    Kazmaier FTW

I vote for some random lifter from the Greco-Roman days who was probably stronger than all them.

To be honest, IMO, Paul anderson was just a huge fat guy that could PICK UP some heavy weight. It says strongest man and not strongest weightlifter. When I look at all the options I just see Kazmaier way in the lead. Seems like they did a lot more unorthodox stuff in the old strongman competitions along with the big power movements. If you took everybody and made them do 30 never-before-seen events, all in their prime, I think Kazmaier would win the majority of them, with Mariusz in second or giving him a run for first in some of them.

I believe he was suspended for quite a few years in a documentary I saw (can't remember why) when he was dominating, correct me if I'm wrong. He'd probably still hold the most titles if he wasn't.

Dunno who is the best but Kaz is the biggest mountain of muscle i ever saw in my life.

Mariusz Pudzianowski was a beast.

Strongest known person is most likely Zydrunas Savickas.

The undisputed strongest back in history.
    Stay Strong,
    Sean
    HardcorePowerlifting.com

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast